Tecmo Super Bowl: Convergence teaser #1

Which team are you going to use for the 49ers best team.  A lot of people will tell you the '89 team was their best.  I used to be in that boat, but now I believe the '84 team was the better team all around.

• The '84 team touted 10 Pro-bowlers.  5 on defense (Lott, Wright, Hicks, Williamson, Turner) and 5 on offense. (Montana, Tyler, Cross, Quillan, Fahnhorst 
  • The '89 team only 7 Pro Bowlers.one Special Teams (Cofer). 5 on offense (Montana, Rice, Taylor, Craig, Mcintyre) One on Defense (Ronnie Lott)
  • The '84 team sent the entire secondary along with Keena Turner.  They also had D. Board with 10 sacks and Fred Dean with 4 sacks in the 5 games he played that year (held out for most of the year).
  • The '89 team definitely had the more potent offense, but the '84 team was no slouch.  
  • Both Teams had a fullback catch 70  passes ('84 - Craig 71 rec. / '89 - Rathman 78 rec.) out of the back field and a 1000 yard rusher. Although '84 Tyler averaged 5.1 per carry and '89 Craig only 3.9.
  • In '89 Rice and Taylor both had 1000 yards recieving. In '84 Clark 880 and Solomon 737.
  • Both teams had Tight Ends with 40+ catches, but '84 also had Francis who also added 23 catches.
  • '89 Montana had the best season a QB had ever seen up to that point, ('84 Marino maybe better), but '84 Montana put up great stats and would have been All Pro if not for Marino setting Yardage and TD record that same year.

Either way you can't go wrong. On a video game the '89 team probably translates better, but I think the '84 team was more well rounded. In my TB 80's Super Bowls and More ROM you can play as both of them and see for yourself.

The '94 team was no slouch either, but I think they fall short of the '84 and '89 teams.

Edited by TheFes75

@TheFes75 - At the moment, I've got '89 penciled to represent the 49ers because of one player... Jerry Rice.  When most people think of the 49ers of the 80's, they think of two players:  Joe Montana and Jerry Rice.  In short, the '89 49ers had Rice and Montana.  The '84 49ers did not.  However, I plan on making Dwight Clark available in the game by way of free agency.

In addition to Fes75's facts, do check out the NFL post-season devastation that the 1989 49ers unleashed: 

41-13 vikings

30-3 rams

55-10 broncos

....that's outscoring 126 to 26 (42 ppg to 8.7 papg) points for three NFL playoff games, including the super bowl....

1989 49ers freaking killed everybody in their path.  impressive.

and I agree that the 89 49ers will be a better "video game" team for our generation, due to the aforementioned "RICE".

Edited by buck