Best Rams team for The Convergence (poll)

Best Rams team?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which LA/StL Rams team is the best?

• 1973 (12-2, #1 in most offensive and defensive categories, lost in playoffs)
    • 1984 (10-6, Eric Dickerson runs for 2,105 yards)
    • 1999 (14-2, won Super Bowl)

Of the following years, which one best represents the Rams?  The 1999 Super Bowl team seems like a no-brainer, but circumstances have come about that leads me to maybe re-think this position.  Basically, I'm creating the "Tecmo Bowl Convergence" ROM with the greatest teams in NFL history taking the field and doing battle with one another.  The 1999 Rams were lead by Kurt Warner, but so was the 2008 Cardinals.  I'm on the fence about having Kurt Warner leading two teams in the game. 

My other options are the 1984 team in which Eric Dickerson rushed for 2,105 yards, and the 1973 team that finished 12-2 and were ranked #1 in most offensive and defensive categories.

Got to include the Greatest Show on Turf. '99 Rams might be a top 10 all time. I'd say do a different year for the Cards although that may be tough. Maybe a mid-80s team with a dominant Ottis Anderson or I think they had some solid teams in the mid-70s if you're willing to go in the way back machine.

I'm completely against changing the Cardinals team.  I've already got them added to the Convergence.  After working with the '72 Dolphins, it helped knock me off the fence about having two Kurt Warners in the game.  Earl Morrall was the QB for the '72 Dolphins and the '70 Colts, and Paul Warfield played for the '64 Browns and the '72 Dolphins.  So with that in mind, if I do eliminate the '99 Rams, it won't be because of the two Kurts.

I don't mind using double players on this ROM, otherwise, I'd be replacing a good chunk of the teams I've already got implemented.  I have two criteria for the teams I use.

1)  I look at Super Bowl / Championship teams first (which is why the '08 Cardinals are in).  I did make a few exceptions, as I chose the '07 16-0 Patriots, even though they were Super Bowl runners-up.

2) The teams have to be post-1960.  Why?  Because I rely heavily on Pro-Football-Reference.com's AV scores when helping to determine ratings, and 1960 is the earliest the numbers are used.

In regards to the Kurt Warner Rams/Cardinals dilema, because I'm allowing players to show up on multiple teams, I'm going with the 1999 Rams.  Can't penalize greatness, right?  Goes perfectly with this teaser comic I posted earlier:

kurtcomic.jpg

• 2 months later...

It's a shame we couldn't fit the '00 Baltimore Ravens or the '12 Houston Texans (I'm taking into consideration that the Oilers became the Titans) into this ROM.  But who knows?  Perhaps this game could be remade and repurposed for the NES Tecmo Super Bowl Convergence?

Edit:  Whoops!  Thought I was on a different thread.  Got to go with the Greatest Show on Turf for that one.

Edited by Mike Gordan

It's a shame we couldn't fit the '00 Baltimore Ravens or the '12 Houston Texans (I'm taking into consideration that the Oilers became the Titans) into this ROM.  But who knows?  Perhaps this game could be remade and repurposed for the NES Tecmo Super Bowl Convergence?

Edit:  Whoops!  Thought I was on a different thread.  Got to go with the Greatest Show on Turf for that one.

There is a NES version that I have to fix before I upload to the Downloads section.  Simple fix that I haven't gotten around to fixing, yet.  Basically, Ted Hendricks is mis-spelled as "Henrdicks" (or something similar) and his skin color is off.

Great idea to make this ROM.

Will there be an NES cartridge version?  I'd love to see that as I only play the cartridge versions.

Curious what you're thinking for the Cowboys?  I'd assume probably 1992 but I'd personally vote for 1977 since the 1992 Cowboys are essentially pretty close to the team already in the original Tecmo SB.  Having the 77 Team with Staubach, Dorsett, Pearson, Martin, Too Tall Jones, R White would be pretty sweet :)