This ROM is based on the 1968 NFL season.  The teams included in this ROM are the New York Jets, Oakland Raiders, Kansas City Chiefs, San Diego Chargers, Dallas Cowboys, Cleveland Browns, St. Louis Cardinals, Baltimore Colts, Los Angeles Rams, San Francisco 49ers, Minnesota Vikings, and Chicago Bears.

The offensive ratings are based on the statistics for the season.  The defensive ratings were a little harder to determine because at this time, sacks totals were not counted so I had to rely on the All Pro and Pro Bowl rosters to determine the ratings.

BaronROMS.wordpress.com

tecmo68.png

Tecmo Bowl 1968.nes

• 4 months later...

Cool!  Hope to see versions based on the 1966 and 1967 seasons as well.

In fact, I hope that someday, we get versions based on every single season in the Super Bowl era.

My goal, after making the novelty ROMs (Tecmo Convergence, Legends of RBI Baseball, etc), is to have an RBI Baseball and Tecmo Bowl ROM for every year.  My BaronROMs.wordpress.com site has a healthy sample of these ROMs that I haven't re-uploaded to TecmoBowl.org, yet.

My goal, after making the novelty ROMs (Tecmo Convergence, Legends of RBI Baseball, etc), is to have an RBI Baseball and Tecmo Bowl ROM for every year.  My BaronROMs.wordpress.com site has a healthy sample of these ROMs that I haven't re-uploaded to TecmoBowl.org, yet.

Cool.  Which years were the hardest ones to get right?  My guess is, probably 1966-1969 (due to the AFL vs. NFL team alignments), as well as 1999-2001 (because of that one odd team out--which, if you are having trouble with, is alright; I reckon that most Cleveland Brown fans would best forget those early years ever happened).  I also theorize 1995-1998 would have some trouble, though at least with those years, we have Tecmo Super Bowl III on SNES to work on (the hard part comes when it's time to replace the Browns with the Ravens).

Cool.  Which years were the hardest ones to get right?  My guess is, probably 1966-1969 (due to the AFL vs. NFL team alignments), as well as 1999-2001 (because of that one odd team out--which, if you are having trouble with, is alright; I reckon that most Cleveland Brown fans would best forget those early years ever happened).  I also theorize 1995-1998 would have some trouble, though at least with those years, we have Tecmo Super Bowl III on SNES to work on (the hard part comes when it's time to replace the Browns with the Ravens).

The hardest ones, originally, to get right were anything pre-80s.  This is mainly for defense purposes.  Originally, I based my defensive ratings on a player's sack numbers.  However, there was a time when sack totals were not counted, so this is where the difficulty lied.  I speak of this in the past tense, because on Pro-Football-Reference.com, for every player of every team after 1960 (give or take), they provide an AV (approximate value) score which I use religiously now when determining ratings.

Team selection, regardless of year isn't difficult.  With modding the original Tecmo Bowl, I only have 10 teams to worry about.  I just pick the best 10 for each year.