Sign in to follow this  
OL' Dirty Tecmo

COMMISSIONER'S BLOG: Coverage Schemes

4. But what about the splitback?

a. The Kamphuna Play.

b. The O'Dell shotgun 

I don't readily know what these things are and can only infer from context. Can you edit to make more clear, perhaps by using their Tecmo names or pictures instead or in addition? Do you know what I mean when I talk about the Donnie Shotgun? ;)

- By splitback do you mean T formation? Tecmo refers to these 2 back formations as T

- By Kamphuna play do you mean Pass 2 Pro T Flare D?  R&S Pass 1? Super confusing to me.

- By Odell shotgun play do you mean Shotgun X Curl? It's the only shotgun out of 2.

Good stuff Diaz!  A lot of these things the vets probably know, but can really help out the n00bs and are a good reminder to us all.  Most plays are stopped before the ball is even snapped in Tecmo.

"a. Shotgun in P4. Both the Z and the normal one the LB4 does not engage the OL. He just kinda stands there with his thumb in his arsehole. So I like to be him when possible to "maximize" the efficiency of my defense. "

This play has always annoyed the hell out of me on defense.  Especially in online leagues where you almost always put your stud LB down there to stop the run, but you're right he does NOTHING against this play.  A lot of those stud LBs have a low INT too, so they aren't great help vs the pass either.  But I agree, use LB4 if you can vs this one.

Sho-gun Z is the best play in the game. It is so hard to defend in the sense that if 2 WR's are open, no matter which ones they are, you can always complete a pass. It's also VERY effective inside the 5 yard-line, which doubles it's value. 75% of my TD's thrown are off this play. If people are looking to get better at Tecmo, mastering this one play is a huge step in the right direction. If you can whip through the progressions, it cannot be defended if 2 WR's are open. Plus, you can use it in ANY playbook!

I never understand why people use the R&S pass 4. The quality/value between plays is enormous. From starting in Sho-gun vs under center, to having 3 on screen targets perfectly spaced apart that they cannot all be guarded at the same time vs 2 on screen targets where if you scramble down, both are easily covered. Sho-gun Z (personal opinion) typically has better spacing between OPEN wr's. Thus allowing you to do as you please vs even the most elite players.

Scrolling through your progressions will tell you a lot about what the defender is doing and where he is. It is also a great way to get the defender to lose speed from changing directions so many times.

OK, I'm done giving away information that can allow people to catch up

Edited by regulator088

Definitely a very powerful play that many people myself included use often.

The R&S Pass 4 does have a few edges over redgun not enough for me to use much but:

1. in gaining yards/throw away in called play situations. 

2. an additional play where you don't know if a run or pass is coming

3. has some good burn routes (matchup dependant)

if you force defense to respect burn routes- RB is usually open for consistant yardage.  

4. it somewhat isolates the TE for a deep JJ 

Trivia question!

Why does Regulator have Shotgun 3 and Shotgun Z in every game no matter what the playbook?

I'd assume it's because Shotgun 3 has 2 safe hot routes on opposite sides of the field.

The funny thing is that there is an actual play called Shotgun 3-Wing, which is not the Shotgun 3 you are referring to.

After reading this thread, I am going to start practicing the shit out of that shotgun pass 4 redgun.

I normally use the r&s for some of the reasons Brude mentioned...  and I tried redgun but the progressions were too tough for me.  But it sounds like I just need to keep on practicing it.

I was actually just going to scratch the shotgun pass 4 z from my playbook before reading this.  I feel like I've seen Randy and others use other pass 4's more effectively and wanted to try out the R + S pass four and the funny one-back pass 4 where WR 1 slants down and then back up on his long route down the field.  

I was actually just going to scratch the shotgun pass 4 z from my playbook before reading this.  I feel like I've seen Randy and others use other pass 4's more effectively and wanted to try out the R + S pass four and the funny one-back pass 4 where WR 1 slants down and then back up on his long route down the field.  

Don't, if you can whip through the progressions of shogun Z..... it's unstoppable. I probably run this play over 50% of the time when I pass. Just great options for passing/running

Well does anyone have the percentages Of No-Coverage, Somewhat Coverage, or Good Coverage when u pick pass or run or Passes with 4 routes or 5 routes??? It is interesting that certain pass plays have different coverage shells. It appears that drones play zone or Cover2 vs The offset pass play 2 sometimes ( Chet Loves this play ). Sometimes the Fs and SS Squat there sides of the field exaclty ten yards past the line of scrimmage. The cornerback's go to flat area and u could burn the bottom wr on the 9 route on the bottom and curl on the top ( before he completes the curl) on the screen. Sometimes you get man to man coverage. The Sho-Gun as Reg calls u can burn the ss sometimes ( if he squats ) and rb coming out of backfield can beat the lb in coverage. We can argue about what pass play is the best. I think the Go-Route in tecmo is the best Route.

@OL' Dirty Tecmo @manyo360

One thing you have to be careful with in scouting the actions the com is to make sure you do it in preseason mode. Probably obvious but worth noting. coverage "juice" starts kicking in around week 2 or 3 for some defender actions.

Typically the 3rd and 4th run plays give you the best "run play defense call" pass defense vs runs 1 and 2. Hence if you want to sit on run calling run 3 a better bet than any other run as you might still get some pass coverage. 

Also there is usually at least 2LB's who do nothing in coverage and just pass rush. You just have to know which ones they are. This is also why using a  DL can be VERY useful b/c you will maximize the potential coverage for the play. Obviously this is more risky the better the QB is if your low int DL is left having to cover a streak route. 

@red98sethuthut no i haven't done every play as its VERY tedious.  There are 3 different sets of coverages depending what play you pick..typically

For pass typicall but not always

SET 1= WEAK =     ( run1,run2),

SET 2 = MEDIUM =( run3, run4)  

SET 3= STRONG = any pass

Then each of those coverage sets has variations.  

Here is one that i think is accurate for when you call a PASS vs R&S pass 1. This assumes you have picked a pass defense  We all know the RB is the most likely to be open in R&S pass 1 and the simulated numbers bear this out. To maximize coverage in this play you want to be the ROLB, LILB, LOLB.. not the best players for stopping run 3. Even picking a LB ~40% of the time you will have nearly two gives you have to choose from.  the percentages in this pic are approximate as I'm not doing enough sims in the excel sheet to get the numbers to converge on their true value. 

pass1 coverage.bmp

Here is the excel sheet (pressing enter on any cell will update the %'s as its just doing a sim)

pass1.xls

here's what I think based on experimentation:

playcallz_zpsj5nwhqws.jpg

I've also recorded observations as to what the possible drone actions for are for each playcall on the matrix, for significant players on defense, but they're somwhat incomplete... but it's all interesting, nonetheless, I love it.  #DancesWithDrones

5 minutes ago, manyo360 said:

here's what I think based on experimentation:

playcallz_zpsj5nwhqws.jpg

I've also recorded observations as to what the possible drone actions for are for each playcall on the matrix, for significant players on defense, but they're somwhat incomplete... but it's all interesting, nonetheless, I love it.  #DancesWithDrones

oh and that was all tested against the typical run and shoot plays, which I believe matters in terms of which guys are covered, amongst other factors..... and all of this I would also say a top-3 reason why I won an HSTL Bowl, either from using the results of these experiments to my benefit (and I did on a handful of ocassions in my playoff run) OR because I wanted it bad enough to do such deep diGGing and the gods rewarded my true grit, PROBABLY the latter.

8 hours ago, manyo360 said:

oh and that was all tested against the typical run and shoot plays, which I believe matters in terms of which guys are covered, amongst other factors..... and all of this I would also say a top-3 reason why I won an HSTL Bowl, either from using the results of these experiments to my benefit (and I did on a handful of ocassions in my playoff run) OR because I wanted it bad enough to do such deep diGGing and the gods rewarded my true grit, PROBABLY the latter.

Agreed. After implementing my own little system (that's difficult to explain) I won S28 and started sharing the knowledge after it was implemented and tested successful. I feel like my greatest Tecmo attribute is overall strategy and tilting of the odds in my favor whenever possible. I'm not excellent in any one aspect of the game. This separates the hombres from the chicos.

My defense was a lot better this season (S38) than previous.  I think the key was controlling Merriweather frequently as LB1, along with having controllable LB4/DB3/DB4.  I'd never used LB1 to drop into coverage so much as this season and it worked pretty well.  The other controllable dudes did well to nullify specific plays.

8 minutes ago, rmm1976 said:

My defense was a lot better this season (S38) than previous.  I think the key was controlling Merriweather frequently as LB1, along with having controllable LB4/DB3/DB4.  I'd never used LB1 to drop into coverage so much as this season and it worked pretty well.  The other controllable dudes did well to nullify specific plays.

Hell yeah. Once someone gets good enough at offense (that's not a shot at you lol) they can spend a bit more on defense for pre-play reads. I really grew used to having my best LB at LB1, second best at LB4 (really just to make my opponent at least think about it), highest INT DB at DB1 (because he drops back more) and next "best" DB at DB4 (with a hard-on for HP). If I only have one DB he goes to DB3. 

Fuck, I miss this stuff. 

Edited by OL' Dirty Tecmo