Columbus, OH - 04/11/15 - Tupa Bowl I

Ryan11p

About the Tupa passing yard challenge, will there be separate games outside the tournment that can be used for this challenge or are only pool and bracket play games eligible?  If your throw int's with tupa does that lower your total in anyway or perhaps effect tie breakers should 2 people actually get the same yardage?  

There's gonna be alot of 

PHX vs NYJ

PHX vs NO

PHX vs ATL

PHX vs PIT

PHX vs DAL

PHX vs TB

at this tourney, huh?

About the Tupa passing yard challenge, will there be separate games outside the tournment that can be used for this challenge or are only pool and bracket play games eligible? If your throw int's with tupa does that lower your total in anyway or perhaps effect tie breakers should 2 people actually get the same yardage?

There's gonna be alot of

PHX vs NYJ

PHX vs NO

PHX vs ATL

PHX vs PIT

PHX vs DAL

PHX vs TB

at this tourney, huh?

This will not be held in outside games, all the challenges must be played in either pool play or a bracket game. Thank u jim for explaining some things here. Mr. Anderson I am going to personal message you my phone number I can answer all your questions at once. We hope to have u

Edited by Ryan11p

Brian P thanks for signing up and paying pumped to have you coming from Canton Ohio bring some hall of fame tecmo magic with ya! That puts us at 26 and with the field as talented as it is should be pretty awesome! Also very happy to be so close to 32 this early. Thanks to everyone showing interest! Hoping to reign in a couple Vogts soon lol!

TIL; Tom Tupa was the first NFL player to score a two point conversion during his stint with the Browns earning him the nickname "2 Point Tupa". Also, his last attempted pass was an overtime interception that was returned for a touchdown against the Saints, ending the game. If anyone recreates this during the tournament, they should be banished out of respect for Tommy.

A couple small announcements to make to everyone I'm very proud and honored to be part of bringing a tournament to Columbus, Thank to all that have helped make this possible and the community for embracing it and signing up! we have 32 so we really out did ourselves for our first Tupa Bowl, and a reliable 32 at that. Some side notes for the community and participants. COMMUNITY thanks to Chris H. (ninjachessmaster) Tupa Bowl 1 will be streamed on twitch and thanks to the vogts it will be on the Midwest Tecmo Twitch page thank you chris v for helping us out and lending us your highly regarded name and page to air this event. PARTICIPANTS: please remember that Columbus Ohio can be stupid parking wise fortunately for us there is a pay lot less than a block north of the Barrel 44 this parking lot takes all major credit / debit cards and is very reasonable on weekends I honestly believe the entire pool can find easy, cheap, and convenient parking at this location.

Idk but if one to three of them changes their mind they can ride up with me. Assuming some folks no show on Saturday. 

Thanks, Matt! Good to know!

Dope! I'll definitely be watching the stream. Why the lack of Vogts?

There's a crap ton of stuff happening this year that's preventing me, personally, from getting time away and off work. Best friend's bachelor party in Louisville is next weekend April 17-19, he's getting married in early June, I'm getting married in September, my bachelor party, and so on. I have to work during this tournament. Hoping the work schedule will be somewhat friendlier in the future soon. As for the other Vogts, Matt and Joey are going on the same bachelor party trip to Louisville. Extremely bummed I can't make it. The least I can do is offer my advertising and marketing and media resources for them to use the Midwest stream account. Thanks for putting on this tournament, Ryan. Any other help you need, I'll be sure to do as much as I can. Next tourney is definitely going to include 3 if not all 4 Vogts. :) Good luck!

Here are the tentative pools for group play, subject to change due to drops/administrative purposes. If you are in the same group with somebody you are traveling with, notify me us immediately.

GROUP 1 (streaming live on MidwestTecmo):
1. Matt Miller (Elkhart IN)
2. Chris H. (Streetsboro OH)
3. Justin S. (Columbus OH)
4. Kario B. (Columbus OH)

GROUP 2:
1. Matt Diaz (Lebanon OH)
2. J.R. Rivera (Columbus OH)
3. Nick G. (Heartland MI)
4. Gavin K. (Columbus OH)

GROUP 3:
1. Louis B. (Buffalo NY)
2. James D. (Columbus OH)
3. Kevin S. (Grove City OH)
4. Brian L. (Columbus OH)

GROUP 4;
2. Ryan S. (Columbus OH)
3. Rex M. (Columbus OH)
4. Leo F. (Cincinnati OH)

GROUP 5:
2. Kevin C. (Columbus OH)
3. Tony B. (Dexter MI)
4. Josh M. (Columbus OH)

GROUP 6:
1. Jim P. (Oak Hill OH)
2. Brian P. (Canton OH)
3. Scott K. (Columbus OH)
4. Phil C. (Columbus OH)

GROUP 7:
1. Jordan W. (Oak Hill OH)
2. Nate B. (Columbus OH)
3. Jeff L. (Columbus OH)
4. John S. (Columbus OH)

GROUP 8:
1. Ryan M. (Ohio)
2. Bill S. (Columbus OH)
3. Mark M. (Columbus OH)
4. Scott G. (Blacklick OH)

Edited by kevincabarello

I apparently am too stupid to make a Google map of the bar show up right now, but just want to inform people that there are a few places to park:

1. There is a metered lot on the corner of 4th Ave and N High St (1160 N High St) that is a 3 hour limit, 75 cents an hour.

2. There is on-street free parking on Mt Pleasant Ave between 5th-3rd Ave.

3. There is on-street free parking on 4th Ave. east of N High St (east of the post office.)

4. There is a Family Dollar store nearby with a large parking lot. ***DO NOT*** park there; your car will be towed.

I (or someone) can post a map of this soon; I am at work and can't do this tonight, but thought this info would be important now instead of later.

Edited by kevincabarello

Potential Pay outs for Tupa Bowl I

If entire field of 32 is filled

1st $500.00

2nd $120.00

3rd $ 40.00

4th $ 20.00

Loser Bracket Winner $ 10.00 + bottle of the cheapest whiskey Kevin and I can find.

Payouts are subject to change in a + manner. We pride ourselves on being a high prize tourney!

Edited by Ryan11p

What a great tournament ! Travelled from Michigan for the Tupa Bowl well worth the trip Ryan and Kevin were excellent hosts. The venue was top notch great location,service and food. I highly recommend this tournament for everyone in the future Columbus has alot to offer and that is alot coming from a wolverines fan. Great prizes at this tournament as well I came away with starting lineup Barry Sanders and Bobby Humphrey super star collectibles from the raffle. Thank you again Ryan and Kevin for an awesome tournament look forward to next year !

Congrats Matt Miller!

Kudos to Kevin and Ryan and the venue Barrell on High. BoH made a special Tecmo menu and that was the beginning of my fun/demise. MIMOSA'S ALL DAY!!! In group play I started out very hot with a 77 pt differential. By the time I'd reached the elite 8 I was about 6 drinks deep. 4 I bought, and 2 graciously purchased by a couple guys I beat pretty bad but was sharing some Tecmo tips with. Thanks guys!

In the Final Four Ryan handed me my ass in a Jets/Cowboys matchup. It's the first time I felt legitimately out-classed in a game since the Final Four beating I took from regulator in Detroit Kumite III. Great job, Ryan. You've definitely reset my focus and next time I won't be having as much "fun" and will be much more prepared. In the loser's bracket I was able to best buddy Jimmy P. in a Bears/Raiders matchup. All defense in that one and had I not called, seriously like 16 of his plays Bo probably would have had 200 yards. Instead I think he went for 46 on 24 carries. Crazy!! But that was my highest moment. Immediately following an uber focused Chris H. put the work on me with the Chargers over Lions to end my day. On his final drive he took a BAD Vlasic, BAD BJ, and BAD Butts all the way down the field converting two 4th downs and punching in for the go ahead. But he won it with defense and some excellent DB2 Gill Byrd play. Ryan and Chris, great job both of you!!!

As far as the tourney and the atmosphere. I've been reluctant on this mini-recap because I can't quite put my finger on the terminology, or the anology, that the first Tupa Bowl deserves to have. I already feel like the Tupa Bowl is deserving of being labeled a "cult-tournament." Maybe it was the fact it's pretty close to home, or the venue is kind of small, or the ridiculous amount of giveaways and raffles, or the HUGE and very creative trophy, the T-Shirts, or the thought that went into every aspect including the Tecmo menus. For next year, or later this year, whenever Tupa Bowl II occurs I expect it to fill up fast, have a higher attendance rate, and bring more Tecmo "names." If Tupa Bowl remains small and can stay in the same venue with the same feel I expect good things for the next several tournaments. Can't wait for the next where I won't be drinking as much and will have to get more creative for finding excuses for my losses. ;-)

It was fun watching Ryan and Matt battle out for the title. Matt's quote on Tecmo Talk Radio of "Babies and puppies don't hold a candle to a 10-pound Tecmo trophy" is just fantastic. In regards to why he hasn't won a tourney earlier. It's simple. It's his brother's fault. Matt is completely deserving and his only failure so far as been bringing his brother with him to all the tourneys. So Matt, here's to leaving little brother at home!!

Can't wait to see all you idiots again. Sorry if I forgot anyone or anything. Cheers!!

And of course, the biggest highlight of the tourney compliments of JimSocks and Woodshed. Grogan and Ronnie Lott

Edited by diazzhole

Snapped a few pictures from Saturday and thought I'd share.

Also wanted to give major thanks to Ryan, Kevin, and everybody that helped with this amazing tourney. The way it was ran, the location, and all the prizes/money, I can see this tournament becoming one of the bigger and better Tecmo tournaments.

Might have been all the vodka tonics, but I thought the pool of players was a pretty tight knit group of guys. Always great to get to know old faces a little more and meet new people in the community as well. Awesome run by Ryan to the finals and congrats to Matt Miller on the win, both guys deserved it. Also, congrats to Diaz on picking my play so many times in our game that I wasn't even mad, I was actually impressed. Can't say anything else other than awesome, awesome time and tournament!

Final thought: If you like Tecmo tees, these tourney shirts are some of the best hands down.

post-12840-0-03784500-1429066177_thumb.j

post-12840-0-62301200-1429066208_thumb.j

post-12840-0-85190300-1429066223_thumb.j

post-12840-0-31694300-1429066247_thumb.j

post-12840-0-06427800-1429066279_thumb.j