Was John Fourcade....

bgboud2

both the best and worst backup ever?

Just felt like posting after a little trip to the 1990 memories after a convo with suiciceking. 

By this criteria, I mean the backup who played great to make you think he had a future with him.

In 1987, he got a shot during the scab games.  At the end of 1989 when Bobby Hebert was benched after the Saints were eliminated, Fourcade took out Jim Kelly in Buffalo in the snow (costing Bills a bye), Randall Cunningham QB Eagles on MNF (costing the Eagles the NFC East), and whatever the 1989 Colts had costing them a tiebreak with Bills.

After 1989, Hebert wanted out.  The Saints went with Fourcade into 1990.  To be continued.

Edited by bgboud2

Fourcade was "the man" back then for the things stated by BgBoud above.  He was from the area (Harvey, Belle Chase or somewhere in the New Orleans area) and made himself available to the Saints fans. I still remember meeting him and he signed a black and white photograph of himself along with a picture with me all for free at a local grocery store here in Houma.  Looking back now he was the player us Saints fan needed at that time especially with Bobby being an ass, which I witnessed first hand during the scab year when my dad was cussing Bobby while Bobby was picketing at the Superdome.

John Fourcade is a player I see playing because he loved the game not for the money.  He is definitely one of my all time favorite Saints players because he created so many memories as a young Saints fan.

John Fourcade was......... a local boy turn Saints QB1 and a fan favorite.

Edited by suicideking81

QB John Hadl had some successful years earlier in his career, but was the backup QB for the LA Rams in 1974 when GB gave up 5 draft picks, including a 1/2/3.  For the Pack, Hadl played 22 games, throwing 9 TDs..... and 29 interceptions.  One of the worst trades in NFL history, as it spiraled the Packers down into one of the darker eras in their history, not making the playoffs again until 1993.... while the picks fueled the Rams dominance of the NFC West for most of the 70's.  Hadl himself was astounded at the trade: "I really didn't believe it... I didn't think anyone would be that desperate."  No kidding, does this look the kind of guy you trade 5 draft picks for?

green-bay-packers-john-hadl-222-topps-19

Perhaps the closest analogue to John Fourcade in Seahawks lore is Jon Kitna, whom I chanced to meet once upon a time as well.  He was a local boy, gave us hope in 97-98 as a backup, then as a full-time starter gave us even more hope in 99 when the Seahawks started out 8-2... but then Galloway came back from his holdout, we barely made the playoffs, and I still recall being there the the final game in the Kingdome as Dan Marino took the lead late in the game, and with the Seahawks driving for the win Kitna throws a 20yd out route or so..... that ball seemed to float forever in the air trying to get to Galloway, PICKED, game over, Kingdome imploded soon thereafter.  I still have the rally towel from that day... it's one of my dirty rags.

Question: Who was the bigger local legend in NO while they played, Hokie Gajan or John Fourcade?  Hokie also gave some hope earlier in his career for the future, from what I can tell.

• 3 weeks later...

QB John Hadl had some successful years earlier in his career, but was the backup QB for the LA Rams in 1974 when GB gave up 5 draft picks, including a 1/2/3.  For the Pack, Hadl played 22 games, throwing 9 TDs..... and 29 interceptions.  One of the worst trades in NFL history, as it spiraled the Packers down into one of the darker eras in their history, not making the playoffs again until 1993.... while the picks fueled the Rams dominance of the NFC West for most of the 70's.  Hadl himself was astounded at the trade: "I really didn't believe it... I didn't think anyone would be that desperate."  No kidding, does this look the kind of guy you trade 5 draft picks for?

green-bay-packers-john-hadl-222-topps-19

Perhaps the closest analogue to John Fourcade in Seahawks lore is Jon Kitna, whom I chanced to meet once upon a time as well.  He was a local boy, gave us hope in 97-98 as a backup, then as a full-time starter gave us even more hope in 99 when the Seahawks started out 8-2... but then Galloway came back from his holdout, we barely made the playoffs, and I still recall being there the the final game in the Kingdome as Dan Marino took the lead late in the game, and with the Seahawks driving for the win Kitna throws a 20yd out route or so..... that ball seemed to float forever in the air trying to get to Galloway, PICKED, game over, Kingdome imploded soon thereafter.  I still have the rally towel from that day... it's one of my dirty rags.

Question: Who was the bigger local legend in NO while they played, Hokie Gajan or John Fourcade?  Hokie also gave some hope earlier in his career for the future, from what I can tell.

Gajan was a beast before some devestating injuries.  Hell he averaged 5.4 YPC on (post-Manning) teams with shitty passing games.

As for local heroes, obviously Bobby Hebert if you count 60 miles as local.

Fourcade seemed to have "it" for the games he played.  Then "it" led to a bad trade for Steve Walsh.  So the Saints teams of 1990-1992 that had as good a defense as any in that span blew key draft picks on a future backup.  What those teams had were the best linebackers ever, and lacking in just one playmaker as a lockdown corner, elite RB or burner receiver.

I appreciate you digging deep into the 1970s for Hadl.  I didn't know much about the Packers between Starr and Majkowski except that there wasn't much to know.

Edited by bgboud2

• 8 months later...

both the best and worst backup ever?

I'll go with best, TSB-speaking. Just finished a Saints season where 4cade put up some decent numbers, but most impressive was his 42 TD to Eric Martin alone. 

Saints went 15-1 losing a late season contest to the Niners. Late in the season and the Playoffs 4cade was nimble as a kitten on catnip. He got injured in the Super Bowl and reverting to Walsh felt like having to put in Grogan after Wilson gets hurt. Painful.