Glitch on US/Japan version?

Tecmo-Mad-Brad

On the 1989 USA/1990 Japan combo version with fixed playbooks for LA, MIN, WSH, we've noticed a weird glitch.  It's only happened in like 4 out of nearly 100-120 games.  Mostly notably was the USA Giants vs Japan redskins, because it happened in 2 separate games between these 2....a player on the Giants defense...most likely LT or Banks comes RUSHING the punter like a mad man and did so on more than 1 occasion in a couple different games.  You basically have to hit your punt by the 1st or 2nd cycle at most or you will get blocked.  The defender blows up the blocker and barrels in full speed.  It seems to have a short cadence before hand then he rushes hard.  

Also noticed it once in I believe Japan Redskins vs Japan Vikings....Redskins had a player rush like mad, and either got a punt sack or forced a really weak punt.  But that was one instance in the game.  Also saw it happen another time in a game with USA Denver vs Japan Miami.  Same deal, just once randomly.  

Wouldn't think much of it, but it's a common occurrence in the Giants/Skins game.

Curious if there is anything in the rom that dictates anything to do with players rushing the punter like this?  It's damn near cheat speed when the defense picks your play and is at mach 5 geared to stop you.  The other thing that sticks out is that all but one instance it was a cross over pairing of games...USA vs Japan.  

It might have to do with the Hit Power. The highest hit power for defense on the original Tecmo bowl is L.T. With 86. The lowest linemen is rated at 56. If there is a 32 point difference in HP then there will be automatic popcorn. I believe when you punt it is your offense minus the Top WR. If the mad rush came from a guy on the bottom with New York it was probably L.T.. When I played against USA New York, they only have one white defensive player. He is at nose tackle. When NY USA lines up in punt formation the white player lines up on the top outside which I believe is spot number 7. If everyone slides up one spot then L.T. Is in the number 6 slot and engages the bottom WR on offense. All wide receivers except Lionel Manual (he has 32HP) have A 48 HP. I know on punts the punting team is juiced to have higher speed and HP and that should offset LT's 86 to 48 advantage.

Edited by TheFes75

Hmmmm...so basically your saying the juiced punt team should NOT have this happen?  I tried to watch the DVD, but since I haven't finalized the disc I can't watch it on my computer yet to see actually who did what.  I'll have to get that disc ready to play on other machines than the DVD recorder and I'll post some video of it.    

It might have to do with the Hit Power. The highest hit power on the original Tecmo bowl is L.T. With 86. The lowest linemen is rated at 56. If there is a 32 point difference in HP then there will be automatic popcorn. I believe when you punt it is your offense minus the Top WR. If the mad rush came from a guy on the bottom with New York it was probably L.T.. When I played against USA New York, they only have one white defensive player. He is at nose tackle. When NY USA lines up in punt formation the white player lines up on the top outside which I believe is spot number 7. If everyone slides up one spot then L.T. Is in the number 6 slot and engages the bottom WR on offense. All wide receivers except Lionel Manual (he has 32HP) have A 48 HP. I know on punts the punting team is juiced to have higher speed and HP and that should offset LT's 86 to 48 advantage.

After looking at he ROM I don't see anything out of the ordinary as far as HP.  The lowest offensive linemen is 56HP and the WR's for Japan and USA Washington are 48HP.  The tight end is 56HP.

I changed the defensive formation to a punt return defense to see where everyone lined up.  The Top DE would be where the bottom KR usually is in the Punt formation (Hence he is replaced as I thought), then the nose tackle is at the top like I said but he is in the #2 spot and so on through the defense. So I was right and wrong in my response earlier.  LT is in the 7th position, but everyone has moved up one.

Here is an attachment with a basic illustration of how they line up in the Punt defense.

post-10784-0-18799200-1422596699_thumb.p

I did some toying with the formations and found out that if you input different numbers in the hex code you can come up with Different formations.  I already knew that you could change around the hex code and get a singleback, singleback offset, Split backs or shotgun, but if you enter the following you can change the formations of both offense and Defense:

02 00 02 55 02 5B 02 5B (Washington's Run 1 from a single back set)

If you change the 4 sets of 02 to one of the Hex numbers below you will get the corresponding formation and you can run the play from it.

00=Kick Return

01=Kickoff

02=Single back

03=Single back offset

04=Split backs

05=Shotgun

06=3-4 defense

07=4-3 defense

08=FG offense

09=FG defense

0A=Punt Offense

0B=Punt Return

Edited by TheFes75

• 1 month later...

Based on your info above, it's Harry Carson who is doing the damage here....which was confusing because he doesn't have a good power rating.  I posted the video below, and whats happening after i closely watched it a few times is that it appears the blocker just flat out disappears when the ball gets snapped.  Look for the 4th guy down on the line of scrimmage....the white guy Burt is lined up as the top LB defender so I don't count him to be on the LOS.

Edited by Tecmo-Mad-Brad

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIUtXyjaHtY

I don't really get the impression that the free runner is going all that fast so I do think it is indeed Carson, who is not fast..

The 1st 3 are vs Japan WSH with black blocker.  The next few are against USA WSH with a white blocker.

Later it shows MIA vs DEN.  same situation with the one time it happened, and then the next punt where the guy gets blocked just fine.  

Edited by Tecmo-Mad-Brad

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIUtXyjaHtY

I don't really get the impression that the free runner is going all that fast so I do think it is indeed Carson, who is not fast..

The 1st 3 are vs Japan WSH with black blocker.  The next few are against USA WSH with a white blocker.

Later it shows MIA vs DEN.  same situation with the one time it happened, and then the next punt where the guy gets blocked just fine.  

What I see is the Bottom Guard just disappears allowing Carson (you are correct) to run free.  If you watch it closely the Guard just disappears. I don't know why that would happen.  I have not been able to duplicate this while playing on the 24 team ROM.

Was able to duplicate this while playing on my phone USA NY vs Japan Wash.  The bottom Guard below the Center just disappears, just like in the video.

Did you and Turd collaborate with a man named Houdini when you made this rom?    

I guess if it can't be fixed/explained, perhaps the set of blockers in the backfield could be changed around to help account for the free runner?

Come to think of it, there was another oddity we saw just once in the 125 or so games we've played with the rom.  It was like a punt and a lineman or something just slid off or onto the screen right before the snap.  Kinda cracked us up.  

Edited by Tecmo-Mad-Brad

Did you and Turd collaborate with a man named Houdini when you made this rom?    

I guess if it can't be fixed/explained, perhaps the set of blockers in the backfield could be changed around to help account for the free runner?

Come to think of it, there was another oddity we saw just once in the 125 or so games we've played with the rom.  It was like a punt and a lineman or something just slid off or onto the screen right before the snap.  Kinda cracked us up.  

LOL...but I didn't make this ROM.  I believe JSTOUT and TECMO TURD had a hand in this, but to be clear I didn't help create this ROM in any way.  It was given to me to download and I just changed some things here and there when asked, but not mine at all.

• 10 months later...
On 2/14/2016 at 6:48 AM, Tecmo-Mad-Brad said:

Curious Fes if you could throw together a quick rom with JUST the US and Japan Giants/Skins to see if there is something wrong with the usual rom we use....and perhaps this glitch would not be present ina  small 4 team rom...or do you think the results would be the same?

I checked the Updated ROM I sent you which was the Japan 24 QB run ROM I got from you against the original Japan 24 ROM I got from Meat a couple of years ago.  Only found one difference between the ROM's besides what I updated.  That was at address $3D025.  The original reads 30 at that address and the Updated reads FF.  I was hoping that was it, but I was able to duplicate the issue on both ROM's.  

As far as making a ROM with 4 teams I don't know how much that would tell us.  I will try and find the Punt and Punt return instructions and compare them to the original tecmo bowl ROM's to see if I can find a difference. That may be the best bet.