The Final Frontier in Rom Editing

Gaffney

• 2 months later...

I don't know jack about 6502, or C, or any of those programming languages... I have a very basic understanding of V-basic. From what I've HEARD about the editors that exist, they are VERY complicated engines in themselves.

HOWEVER, that's not to say all those dreams aren't possible. Everything is possible in a video game. You just have to design it that way. Unfortunatley that mostly means by scratch.

I've read in some magazines and websites about a game called "Metroid Prime 2D". The idea basically is that the designers will take the Gamecube's famous title, and convert it into a 2d format. (Most likely an SNES emulatable game.) The idea of this makes me excited because I suffer from a serious condition of motion sickness which prevents me from playing and enjoying many first-person perspective games.

After studying up on this game, I became curious as to what other games could be converted to another medium so that I could enjoy them. I stumbled on to a one-man-army, game making monster. This guy is remaking Grand Theft Auto III, on the NES!

http://www.grandtheftendo.com

I'm not pushing for the inspiration to alter the exsiting relic that is Tecmo Super Bowl or anything. Maybe however, everything that we learned that we loved from Tecmo's football games could inspire one or a few of us to make a video game to crush all football games. I mean, obviously Tecmo isn't interested in football anymore, but there's about 1k people around here I know of that still are.

• 1 year later...

I've been thinking about this project a lot lately...wondering if it's possible and I'm sort of wanting to get my programming chops going again.

I have some theories on extending Tecmo Super Bowl, I've not tried to implement any of them, but I might be willing to do so now.

First thing I'd like to try, however, is learning some 6502 assembling and start poking around in the guts of game, seeing if I can clone it for a PC platform. Since the last time I posted on this board, I've got some heavy experience with C++/C and OpenGL, so I could handle those aspects of game programming.

Once the core gameplay was figured out, we could probably do fun things like spiff up the graphics a bit, add more teams, more plays, etc.

I haven't poked around in the TSB ROM in forever...but I was one of the people that helped bring about the original TSBM along with MadHacker and another guys name I can't remember. I was the first person to do a full on, accurate update of TSB back in 1998 or so. I think it's awesome that this scene is still thriving.

Anyway, I could be interested in digging into this project again but I'd need a good team of folks to work with.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...