Hex Editing

I am going to make a couple of suggestions here (If I may):

First, dont rush. We all started crawling at some point. That set of numbers you mentioned, would seem like a really big code to start with....

And: I recommend you to download FCEUX emulator (just because of its Hex-editor feature, among many other useful features, that will allow you to modify your ROM in "real-time")

http://sourceforge.net/projects/fceultra/files/Binaries/2.2.1/fceux-2.2.1-win32.zip/download

The way you use this feature is very simple, here is a little startup where you can actually see what's going on with your MOD:

http://tecmobowl.org/topic/54998-removing-teams-from-a-rom/#entry361609

Maybe after watching you have actually changed something in your ROM, you can see almost everything is done the same way, and this will make things a lot easier.

The 'Goto adress' really helped, now I can find stuff, even though I still don't really know what I'm looking at.

If you could help me even more, could you tell me how to change the color of the first screen from blue to another color, and then explain why it changes. I think that once I understand the concept, I should be able to do it. And thanks for helping, Pambozazos88

Ok, many threads in here often provide information which is very useful for hacking the TSB ROM. To do so, the author just needs to point an "offset address" and you can customize your ROM the way you like, based on the info. he is giving you. I think you already know how to look for an address in the rom's data, so:

In order to change the background color of the MAIN MENU, I have this info: offset x1A850 changes the BG color of the Main menu (BOTH preseason and season menus)

I will use FCEUX's Hex-editor to change the bg color. First I need to go to the address the author is pointing: x1A850

post-9389-0-05638900-1420428600_thumb.pn

post-9389-0-47653700-1420428632_thumb.pn

OK, It says 11, BUT what does that means??? To answer this question, first you need to understand that the game's data was stored inside "banks", let's say for memory purposes.

This will give you a better picture of these banks I am talking about:

http://tecmobowl.org/topic/11582-tecmo-nes-rom-mapping-project/#entry423556

Now, this table mentions that from offset 1A000 to offset 1C000 some graphic pointers are stored  (It contains palettes data, to be more specific). Well, this table is very useful, cuz it indicates which type of data is stored inside these banks, so you can tell in advance, if you are looking for something at the right place or not...

Well, now you know graphic data is allocated inside this specific bank (1A000-1C000). And I told you that this bank contains some palettes used in the game. But it does not makes sense, still... How does this value of "11" indicates that you are dealing with a color??, blue color exactly ??? 

Well, it actually makes perfect sense (at least for the programmers), but you dont have to worry cuz everything has an explanation. I am just going to say that NES programmers came with a simple way to standardize the color they could apply to any game:

post-9389-0-51139100-1420428689_thumb.pn

simple, right? 11 indicates it is in fact a blue color.

Ok, now go to  your editor at offset x1A850 and change the value "11" with any other color from the NES palette, lets say "27".

post-9389-0-53446000-1420428714_thumb.pn

If you go to your game's Main menu screen it will now look like this, cuz you changed its original color(11) to color #27:

post-9389-0-89369600-1420428738_thumb.pn*Sometimes you need to reset your game in order to see the actual changes you've made happen.

post-9389-0-25662700-1420430028_thumb.pncolor#2B   post-9389-0-55595000-1420430053_thumb.pncolor#0F

Now you can save the changes in your ROM and play it using any other emulator. To do so, use the "Save Rom As" feature on the File menu from your HEX-editor.

post-9389-0-80263300-1420429210_thumb.pn

Edited by pambazos88

I did what you said, and WOW! That's amazing! 

Now what I'd like to do is create a new offensive formation. According to this image of the banks, it looks like I'd modify 4000. What would I change, though?

Whoa. You are putting the cart wayyyy before the horse here. I am commenting to save Pambazos a 4000 word post.

Start with some text and text string edits.