Madison, WI - 03/07/15 - Tecmo XI: Apocalipps Now

sonofpatbeach

I think being able to call the matchup is extremely important, especially if you know your opponent's strengths.

While I feel it could be seen as a disadvantage in the first couple of rds, I agree w Toolie, winning the loss as you go deeper into tourneys is a huge help, assuming the likelihood of knowing your opponent better is increasing as well.

I just think there should be the option to go one way or the other if you win the toss. Doesn't seem like it would make things unfair. 

But I somewhat agree with those statements depending on how big of an underdog you think you are of if you think its a big edge to play certain style of team. 

Maybe I prefer to see if the opponent will call a matchup where I think one team has an edge over the other.I have a hard time calling matchups where I wouldn't prefer one team to the other. 

It's random, guys. Just pray you lose the flip then. O'Toole is absolutely correct. Chet calls KC-CHI against Matty V in loser's final of Tecmo X, knowing Matt's bruising style. Chet found a way to negate that because he does in fact know MV's style. Did Matt know Chet plays KC defense well against Matt's Bears? Didn't know. But he sure as hell knows Matt's going to choose Chicago all day everyday. I win toss against O'Dell in loser's bracket. Call TB-WAS, knowing O'Dell's killer clock management using a decent QB. I love WAs in this matchup. Definitely felt I was going to get the upper hand in that matchup, but unfortunately I was wrong. O'Dell did exactly what I thought he was going to do. Knowing your opponent definitely forces me to want to win the coin toss. With a little bit of studying and spygate work, the coin toss can be a winner regardless of heads or tails.

Edited by vogtcd11

I think it comes down to the confidence factor at times. Not saying it's 100% the case every time, but it seems less confident players don't like picking the teams. The more of the nuances I learn in the game, the more confident I am picking certain matchups. I know my first trip to Madison, I didn't want to pick any (and then fumbled my way to saying ATL-CHI, and promptly lost that game, though not by as much as what you would think). Though now, just two years later, I like winning the toss much more than I had.

Well, then you explain another reason why Bruddog suggested this. He who knows all things to all teams would rather your "confidence" screw up the matchup because he'll play to his strengths of your matchup. Plus, you could then tip your hand to your strategy and the coin toss winner has learned a bit about what you are going for.

There are definite advantages to deferring a matchup choice.

Well, then you explain another reason why Bruddog suggested this. He who knows all things to all teams would rather your "confidence" screw up the matchup because he'll play to his strengths of your matchup. Plus, you could then tip your hand to your strategy and the coin toss winner has learned a bit about what you are going for.

There are definite advantages to deferring a matchup choice.

There definitely are, that's why I said it wasn't 100% of the time. It's just something I've noticed over the years with newer players. The super skilled guys or veterans may prefer learning about opponents they haven't played against, or to save particular juicy matchups for later in the tournament. I'm not saying it's a bad suggestion at all - definitely something to think about on both sides.

There definitely are, that's why I said it wasn't 100% of the time. It's just something I've noticed over the years with newer players. The super skilled guys or veterans may prefer learning about opponents they haven't played against, or to save particular juicy matchups for later in the tournament. I'm not saying it's a bad suggestion at all - definitely something to think about on both sides.

My first year, the anxiety of picking matchups was immense.

I agree with the Architect. . If you "win" the coin toss it's kinda like you lose... other guy gets first dibs

The coinflip is meant to be a way to determine teams fairly and is meant to be random.

Allowing for the winner of the coinflip to control exactly they want to do adds more value to the coinflip determining the outcome of the game.

Deferring in pool play I can understand so you can save your match-ups, but in the elimination rounds you want to pick the match-ups. You can usually get away with calling goofy match-ups in pool play, so personally I don't see the need for a deferral option, but that is me.

IE: you do not want to lose the coin toss vs me. You will see slow, untalented teams on the field when usually high PC/JJ teams would be better options for players.

Edited by regulator088

We spent years experimenting with the most fair and straightforward way to determine the teams/controllers of each game. We debated allowing the matchup winner to defer team selection to the other player (in fact I think we may have done that for Tecmo VI), but that adds another layer of complexity to the process. If you can't explain the coin toss in under 10 seconds, you're doing it wrong.

Whether you consider being the guy who calls the matchup to have the advantage, or the guy who calls team/controller to have the advantage, you have a 50/50 chance of getting what you want. That's the purpose of a coin flip.

I've done a few tournaments with the option to defer, and I hate it and will never do it again... because it can be hella confusing, and also because I prefer the idea of forcing people to call matchups: gotta know your tecmo teams! no weak backdoors for the noobs like the defer option, which they would invariably take: instead I leave a list of good matchup calls laying around they can peruse if they want, and maybe educate themselves same time.....

The current system is not unfair that wasn't my point. I just thought having the option to defer would be nice. But I can see when it's time to waive the white flag. My basic logic would be to defer to an inferior or equal player and pick teams vs a superior player or if I think the player is weak in running/passing. 

The current system is not unfair that wasn't my point. I just thought having the option to defer would be nice. But I can see when it's time to waive the white flag. My basic logic would be to defer to an inferior or equal player and pick teams vs a superior player or if I think the player is weak in running/passing. 

Look what you started, man.

Geez.