Madison, WI - 03/07/15 - Tecmo XI: Apocalipps Now

sonofpatbeach

The first player listed is Player 1. Took this off of the 10 hour+ video.

Game 1 Round of 64:

Start 0:00:00

End 0:19:25

Russ N (CHI)

O'Dell (RAI)

Game 2 Round of 32:

Start 0:36:13

End 0:54:18

Tecmopsycho (CIN)

Joey Vogt (DET)

Game 3 Sweet 16:

Start 1:20:13

End 1:40:47

Gripsmoke (MIN)

Coconuts (MIA)

Game 4 Elite 8:

Start 2:09:40

End 2:31:30

Daboy (TB)

Vikingmoe (MIN)

Game 5 Elite 8 loser's bracket:

Start 2:45:30

End 3:04:50

ones11fahzu (NO)

Daboy (PHX)

Game 6 Elite 8 winners bracket final:

Start 3:32:57

End 3:50:54

tecmopsycho (KC)

skunker (CHI)

Game 7: Elite 8 4th place game:

Start 4:23:54

End 4:40:29

Daboy (PHX)

Coconuts (PIT)

Game 8 Elite 8 loser's bracket final:

Start 4:48:43

End 5:05:15

Skunker (RAMS)

Coconuts (MIN)

Game 9 Title Game:

Start 5:14:09

End 5:30:37

Tecmopsycho (TB)

Coconuts (SD)

Before anyone asks, no I did not call a single game. Lost every single coin toss since Round of 32.

The first player listed is Player 1. Took this off of the 10 hour+ video.

Game 1 Round of 64:

Start 0:00:00

End 0:19:25

Russ N (CHI)

O'Dell (RAI)

Game 2 Round of 32:

Start 0:36:13

End 0:54:18

Tecmopsycho (CIN)

Joey Vogt (DET)

Game 3 Sweet 16:

Start 1:20:13

End 1:40:47

Gripsmoke (MIN)

Coconuts (MIA)

Game 4 Elite 8:

Start 2:09:40

End 2:31:30

Daboy (TB)

Vikingmoe (MIN)

Game 5 Elite 8 loser's bracket:

Start 2:45:30

End 3:04:50

ones11fahzu (NO)

Daboy (PHX)

Game 6 Elite 8 winners bracket final:

Start 3:32:57

End 3:50:54

tecmopsycho (KC)

skunker (CHI)

Game 7: Elite 8 4th place game:

Start 4:23:54

End 4:40:29

Daboy (PHX)

Coconuts (PIT)

Game 8 Elite 8 loser's bracket final:

Start 4:48:43

End 5:05:15

Skunker (RAMS)

Coconuts (MIN)

Game 9 Title Game:

Start 5:14:09

End 5:30:37

Tecmopsycho (TB)

Coconuts (SD)

Before anyone asks, no I did not call a single game. Lost every single coin toss since Round of 32.

Heck yea, thanks! I'll get the edit done today!

When things calm down a bit around here (maybe next weekend), I'll write up a summary of milestones in this year's tournament, similar to what I did last year. As Flo mentioned earlier, we have guys who have spent a third of their lives coming to this tournament, which is pretty amazing when you sit back and think about it.

- It was great to meet Gripsmoke and Disastamasta. Ironically, Grip took Matty V out in the Round of 64, and Disasta took me out in the Round of 32. That shows you the level of competition in this thing. And it's only going to get harder from here on out. I would like to make a mention regarding my game against Isaac (Disasta). I really do want people to give their 2 cents on how they would have handled this situation. I feel like I made the right call, as I feel like it didn't effect the outcome. I think I ran away while Disasta was picking his plays to get a beverage, as the cabin room bar typically wasn't crowded. Came back, started her up and I had lost the coin toss, which in turn allowed Isaac to kick off to me to start the game. I went 3 and out and punted. Isaac realized that he had a bum pass 3 play. It is rarely ever used. In fact, I've never seen it used. He about flipped a brick -- frustrated that he had overlooked it. I immediately told him I wanted him at full strength. I didn't hesitate to start the game over, allow him to change that play, have him kickoff to me, and me punt it back. I lost 27-21 in OT. Sucks? Sure. But I think I made the right move. There is no reason why Isaac flew from Arizona to have something like that happen. He immediately called me his best friend and appreciated my move. It never really bothered me until I told the Caravan 7 about it. Some were impartial about it. If I were in Isaac's situation, would someone else be kind enough to start the game over? What if he had the ball first and realized his playbook was not to his liking or that he forgot to change it? Not a big deal. But I had the ball first, punted, then he realized the overlook in his playbook. I'll say, regardless, that I made the right decision. Go me. Adding that Isaac is such a down-to-earth, nice fellow. Really genuine of a guy.

This was a true sportsmanship play right here. It was round of 32, so there was $50 dollars on the line for just this game. After I forced a punt on the first possession, I was feeling great. I knew I had to play very smart to be able to score with PHX, knowing Chris was going to win the grapples. I open my playbook and see the horrid 3wr on bottom pass 3. I stare for 15 seconds and just didn't know what to do. I didn't expect Chris to reset (let alone reset and punt) and I wouldnt have had ANY hard feelings if he didn't. He asked if he wanted to reset and I told him yes and we played a great game after that. I felt a little bad, because I won in OT and in a grind it out game like we played it oculd have been the difference. (I felt ok about it, when he got the ball first in OT.) What a class act guy he is. 

Thanks to everyone that put in work (Josh Chet and Madison Crew, Dave Murray),  and was genuine that I met. I had a blast, did better than I thought I was going to and thought I played very well on saturday. Vikingmoe beat me straight up and his talent and game plan took me by surprise and was definitely not ready for it to advance to the elite 8. 

@Chris: you absolutely made the right (classy) move with Disasta. The Tecmo gods reward that kind of sportsmanship, not always in the short-term, but certainly in the long run. I was playing a tie game against Derek in the first single-elim game in Chicago, when someone realized he actually didn't advance out of his group, and he was technically eliminated. He handled that with a lot of poise and class, and look what happened 5-6 years later!  Now, the waiting game begins...

Had a while to recover and cherish the weekend that was, so now I will add my chapter of thoughts to this awesome book of Tecmories (Trademarking this)

My background in Tecmo tournaments was just what I'd gone to in Seattle/Centralia area. Around 6-20 people or so, a handful of TVs, and plenty of downtime between games to load up on more beer (In Seattle, the choice is always Mac & Jacks, but Spotted Cow isn't such a bad choice). I didn't know what to expect from Madison, but it turns out...it's pretty much the same . . . just multiplied by 10. It was the same atmosphere but on a larger scale. I'm just gonna bullet point what I remember of my Tecmories.

• The day before the tournament was something I had considered skipping, and just checking in the morning. So glad I didn't. This was the best chance to meet people I only knew online, as well as several others, and to say what's up again to the PNW crew. Not sure how I would have been able to talk and meet everyone I wanted to during the tournament alone (and I still didn't get to meet everyone anyway). 
  • Met or got to re-meet, among others, bruddog, the vogts, the holtzs, PNW crew (again), segathon, beef juice, ryanp, lou, lou's brother, regulator's brother, psycho (congrats man!), coconuts, knobbe (again) (two people were like "Holy shit you two are in the same room"), Ornega, odell, tecmobo, mort, and a bunch others I just can't remember.
  • Had Spotted Cow for the first time
  • Had Spotted Cow for the second, third, and so on until the 8th time. 
  • Lost a full pack of smokes on the walk back to the hotel. Find out at hotel, bring another pack with me in case I need them.
  • Pizza, Beer, Mt Dew, Tecmo and Jimmy Fallon in Sega and Beef Juice's room.
  • Beef Juice tried to accept a sandwich from the delivery guy that was for a different room. 

Day of Tournament

• 9:17 am leave hotel
  • 9:18 realize I lost my other full pack of smokes at their room
  • 9:19 Text sega to ask to bring smokes to badger dowl
  • 9:30 want to start slow so I order a coffee.
  • 9:39 fuck this I'm getting a screwdriver
  • 9:45 find my group, meet up with ryanp (also in my group) to chat and do the pre-game jitter stuff.
  • 9:52 text sega asking where he is with my smokes. games about to start soon and i'm stresssssed
  • 10:00 retrieve smokes, smoke!
  • 10:03 get back and relieved that tecmo speech hasn't started yet. Pretty hilarious reading from the Old and New Testaments of the book of LT
  • 10:03 Spotted Cow #1
  • 10:14 During ryan's game, I figure I have at least an hour before I play, so I walk around and chat to people that also aren't in games yet. Very nice to be able to do this. Even with all those tvs, I'm glad there was a lot of downtime between games. It feels more like a chore when you're constantly in "play one game, then play another" mode for a long time.
  •  
  • 11am-3:40PM [GROUP PLAY]
  • First game: I get the #2 seed, so I play the #7, Jack M. I am still not sure how I'm going to do or how I'm going to play, but luckily I lost the coin toss so he selected a matchup, Jets/Phx. Since I don't know what this guy plays like, I choose the Jets thanks to more D options and the better QB/WR. I played pretty mistake free and won 35-3.
  • Second game: I play Nate C, the #3 seed, the next game, who struggled in his first game but played really strong in the second half to win. I am forced to call the matchup, so I stick to similar teams, picking Jets/Falcons. He takes Jets, and we play a pretty tight one. I fucked up on my first possession by mistapping a throw and getting intercepted. He scores (can't remember if it was a FG or TD), but I end up playing behind the whole game. Towards the end I thought I saw an opportunity for an open pass to Jordan, but Nate played the field very well and ended up JJ INTing for basically the win. 16-14, and now in the loser's bracket.
  • LOSER'S BRACKET: I literally have to win 3 straight games just to make the field of 64. My original goal of Sweet Sixteen goes out the window at this point, and I'm fighting just to get out of the group alive. 
  • Third game: I draw Tim A, and he picks Cincy/Min. Sticking with my first strategy of taking the better QB, I go with Cincy, and see what I can do with Fulcher. I don't remember much about this game, but I was able to make a lot of stops and ended up winning 28-14
  • Fourth game: I draw Jack M again, and again he wins the toss. Dal/Was. Toss-up for me but I went with Dallas thanks to a more well-rounded offense. This time though, Jack played incredible. Covering really well, picking my plays a lot, limiting Emmitt for the most part. I think I had to kick a FG with no time left to win 24-21.

Fifth game / Loser's bracket finals

• Nate ended up winning the group, so now I play Ryan. We were talking the night before and the morning of, both rooting for fellow HSTLers to represent the group, but we had to play for it all here. He won the toss and took Saints/Pit. Basically the choice came down to offense vs defense in this one. Playing as Pittsburgh's offense or playing against Pitt's defense didn't entice me with either of these teams, so I picked based on intangibles. Special Teams (44ms KR + 94hp Heywand) and the kicker (whom I mistakely thought had a better range than Pittsburgh, which I literally just found out now. If I had known Pit had the better kicker, I probably would have taken them....wow).
  • This was a tight as hell game. We both play very good defense, allowing only a touchdown and a field goal a piece throughout the entire first 4 quarters. He tied the game at 10 late in the 4th, but I got a great KR with Heyward to get the ball to about my 45 ("intangibles might pay off!!!!" I scream in my head). I get 2 yards closer, but pretty sure it's in Morten Andersen's range and kick a GWFG....arrow is just right..... BLOCKED by Greg Lloyd!
  • ("You forgot about the LB1 intangibles!" I scream to myself)
  • I get the ball first, and a decent return and some really dinky non-risky offense gets me into the same FG range...no block, but Andersen misses AGAIN. Ryan's ball at the 50ish.
  • I'm thankfully able to stuff his drive. I don't know how many yards he gained but it wasn't much. I think I called his play a bit and got in the right positions on some plays. 
  • He kicks a GWFG....BLOCKED BY PAT SWILLING! LB1 INTANGIBLES CANCEL OUT!
  • But...his kicker gets it, and I've already been smashed by two drone blockers....but, he doesn't get that super-fast kicker speed, and he's not able to scramble for the first.
  • My ball with about 12 seconds left, I call some run play or something to get it down to 2 seconds.
  • Call the timeout. Kick the FG....GOOD.
  • Did it, made it out of group play and still alive. Crushing loss for ryan.
  • Ryan, I was honestly surprised when you mentioned that before this tourny, you were a sore loser, and changed. Because I saw not even the slightest hint of soreness, bitterness, grumpy dejection, or any of that shit that happens to all of us when we lose. What you displayed was the classiest way to handle a loss, and that attitude was not unnoticed. I would only hope I could act the same after defeat. You are a model citizen of tecmo and I look forward to playing you again.

Winning those three straight to make the field was a relief, and all three came in about an hour time span (I played the first, rested one, then played two back-to-back). I didn't get much time, maybe 10 minutes, between group play and to find out where I was now, where it's still win or go home mode.

• Round of 64: I draw....Matty V. Well, fuck me. He wins the toss and chooses Raiders/Bears. I take Raiders because I'd rather him not have Bo Jackson. My first run play with Bo I manage to outgrapple him and take it for a TD. He scores on his first drive as well. Some more things happen, but the kicker was in the 2nd quarter, when I called his pass play for a sack, fumble, and some jackoff takes it 60 yards for a touchdown. This score put me up two possessions, and it was such an advantageous position to be in where if I don't fumble or throw a pick, and not play TERRIBLE with the Raiders offense, I should be able to maintain. And I was able to. Matt V couldn't really get back into a position to play for a tie or the lead. Luck bounced big my way in this game, and if it were reversed it would be him advancing.
  • Round of 32: I play a guy I hadn't met or known from online before, Matt B (heechy). I think the matchup was Dallas/Phx, with me taking Dallas. Played pretty well with them again and won by a couple scores. I made sure to stop Johnny Johnson, because of how he plays above his stats so much.
  • Sweet 16: Holy shit I made it! Hell yeah! Who do I play next? Oh, Coconuts? Fuck. I think he kicks my ass all the time. Oh wait, this game is streaming? Awesome! All I have to do is pick the right team, play solid, lose grapples, but win the war. Instead, I win the coin toss, and I have NO idea what to pick. I had no preparation between heechy and coconuts, and nothing to consult for picking a decent match. I figure he's going to outplay me anyway, so I should choose teams that can make a play happen at any time, AND has a decent chance to get a few tackles and hope for fumbles. I choose MIA/MIN, then grab a beer while he decides (which you can see me doing in the video), and he takes Marino.
  • Well, the rest happens here:
  • >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfcFIqNQqpc
  • Good fucking game coconuts. Of course as y'all know, took 2nd overall in the tournament and played lights-out the whole time. 

Rest of the time I'm wandering and catching up with everyone. After spotted cow #15 or something and no food (other than SirTed's generous french fries of which I only ate 3), I decide to go home and watch the stream of the championship from the hotel, which was awesome other than the Clairion's shitty wifi.

Congrats Psycho, Coconuts, and all the rest that won some moneys. Such a fun fucking time. Being able to come to this in the first place was a happy accident and I'm glad it happened. Seriously considering doing this all the time now.

It was fantastic to meet everyone in the community. You guys make it worth it to play. And we don't take ourselves so seriously over a 1991 NES game, and I'm happy we all still have fun with it.

See y'all soon, to make some more....

:cool:

TECMORIES

Here's hoping they continue long enough to use these amazing names. Would be a shame if one of them went to waste!

A Nigerian Nightmare on Elm St

A Personal Landeta

A Streetcar Named DeBerg

Any Givens Sunday

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Fagan

Forgetting Leonard Marshall

Grapes of Rathman

Some like it Mott

The Big Majkowski: The Don Abides

The Talented Mr Rypien

The Worley is not Enough

There’s Something About Barry

Toon Fast, Toon Furious

Edited by tecmobo

ps I love Talented Mr Rypien

Yes. And I would wear my custom-made "Rypien Farts During Tecmo X" shirt. That shirt took me to the Elite 8 last year. Wore it this year, and got no such luck. If next year is Tecmo XII: Talented Mr. Rypein, I'm destined for gloriousness. And yes, Josh, here's hoping the Tecmo gods reward sooner, rather than later in this instance.

I can't say much more than what has already been said about this amazing tournament so I'll try to be short.  Too long to list everyone I talked to but you all are awesome!  I've been the past 3 years and so far this one has been the best, its like a fine wine getting better with age.  I can only say that I wish there was more time to talk to everyone that attended.  The conversations are short lived trying to make my rounds or watch other games that I leave Sunday and kick myself for not talking to this guy or that guy more.  I followed Da Boy around for his run and I think his games were all so intense that I was more nervous than ever actually playing.  Big thanks to Ryan for saving our seats while we took smoke break after smoke break, and switching the jersey from white to red really does help, 4th quarter DT is like Sunday Tiger!

My only regret (besides Marc Wilson) is drinking until 4 am on Friday while eating a reuben pizza.  Saturday was rough early.

Congrats to Derek, Josh, Jon, and James on the final 4, actually the entire round of 16 participants as they were all amazing games.  I could come to Madison and be perfectly happy just watching those games.  Thank you to everyone for the compliments on the parody video, it beats the hell out of my wife telling me we're idiots.  I told Derek that we will honor the champ's request for a song parody of his choice, perhaps "Last Chance with Tommy Kane" or something of his choosing.

Big thanks to Josh, Chet and the entire crew for putting this on.  I've been three years and manage to tell them thank you every year but barely get to know them as I know they are extremely busy, maybe one day.  Thanks again, awesome work and much appreciated, hope we can do it again next year.  That being said.....Tecmo XII - Weekend at QB_Browns ;-)

Edited by JimSocks13

Congrats to Derek, Josh, Jon, and James on the final 4, actually the entire round of 16 participants as they were all amazing games.  I could come to Madison and be perfectly happy just watching those games.  Thank you to everyone for the compliments on the parody video, it beats the hell out of my wife telling me we're idiots.  I told Derek that we will honor the champ's request for a song parody of his choice, perhaps "Last Chance with Tommy Kane" or something of his choosing.

PM sent

I think next one should be picked on what movie is playing on loop. So the lebowski/majik one is good along with graddyshack and ghostmusters. How did musters last stand beat out ghostmusters? That or get the completes series of baywatch and name it "claywatch".

For those that asked me about my name at Madison, the "other tecmobo" (aka oklahoma) said I could have the name but I preferred to try to win it back from him. We played a best of three series today where I won the first two. If I had lost, the stakes were too demoralizing to speak and shall go unmentioned for eternity...

GG's oklahoma.