TSB 28 Man Live Season

Jimmy1996

What do you guys think of the idea of a 28 Man Season Live on one cartridge? There is nothing like live competition where u can look at ur opponents, talk smack, and feel the action! Basically 28 players would show up for team selection and play one game each week. Obviously each player would have an alternate player that could sub for them in the event they couldn't make it. Basically you would have a payout for playoff birth, division leader, AFC/NFL Champ and Super Bowl Champ. There would also be payouts for #1 Ranked QB, RB, WR, KR, Most INT'S, Most Sacks AND Total Offense and Total Defense. And this would take 16 weeks plus playoffs to complete. Thoughts? Criticism?

Oddly enough i had 20 exactly for my last Farva Bowl and that was for Tecmo Bowl on NES. 50% of the ones that came were blown away by how fun it was and had just stumbled into finding out about it. I've had a lot more express interest in a tournament and the problem hasn't been having enough people interested it's been finding and communicating with the interested people. I talked to people that don't know there is an underground community of tecmoers. Lol. They don't know to search for it on websites and unless someone tells them or they happen chance across a flyer they are just out of the loop. I think for this type of tournament you would take your time and find 28 solid tecmoers that want to make this happen. I really believe this can be done.

I do believe that this can be done but extremely difficult. Getting 28 guys to commit to a tournament not named Midwest or Madison is difficult so getting 28 guys together in one spot weekly will be near impossible.

The next best thing in my opinion would be to take all tournaments in a year in the southern region and create a point system on how guys finish. The TX & LA area hold about 5-6 tournaments per year so its enough tournaments to establish a true King of the South. In doing so not only would you be crowned King but would be given a healthy stack of cash.

This is a simple solution to get guys in the south to attend more tournaments. If they don't attend they'll get behind in the Southern Tecmo standings.

Just a thought

This would work if it was 1996 and you all lived in a dorm.

I ran a league like this while I was in college.  It took about a semester to complete (all 28 teams manned by a unique owner).  It worked really well with the talent disparity.  I recall teams that won the Super Bowl were GB, PHX, SEA, BUF, GIA, SF, RAM, TB and some teams that lost in the super bowl were CLE, HOU, JET, SD, WAS... The league even continued for about 2 years after I graduated.  Playoffs were done in a one-night extravaganza with entrance music.  Good times.  The toughest thing was getting people to play their games in sequence.  With no cell phones I had to do a lot of hunting people down and scheduling games.  It beat studying. 

I was planning on implementing my idea anyway. I don't mind taking your money. So how about you put your money where your mouth is.

Only guys who pay the fee to be included into the fight for the southern crown will be eligible.

I'm thinking a $50 fee to sign up is a good starting point.

Sobhi had an idea a while back to play a 28 man season in Vegas. Players would draft their teams in advance similar to the HSTL and then create a cartridge based on that draft. If you wanted to do a season in a weekend you'd have to make multiple cartridges but then you couldn't keep all the stats. That would be the best way to do it so someone doesn't get stuck with the Colts.

• 2 weeks later...

We did this in college in the mid-90s. The key for us was to have an auction for the 28 teams. (We auctioned them one at a time so no one would win more than one team.) The proceeds became the prize pool, divided between playoff teams and individual league leaders to give the bad teams something to play for at the end of the season. The challenge of using Indy or NE when it only costs a dollar? Worth it. We had a Nebraska fan who wanted to lead the league in rushing with Ken Clark. He managed to get pretty close.

We were lucky to have a few guys who kept getting outbid. If you didn't play your game within 24 hours, then an "understudy" would play it for you unless everyone worked it out somehow. The guy with Cleveland was livid because he was stuck playing Pagel for 3 weeks.

I don't remember who won the Super Bowl. A variation on this is to allow someone to control more than one team, as long as they don't play each other in the regular season. If they meet in the playoffs, you can always use an understudy to play one of the sides.