Has anyone completed a season with all 30 teams on MAN?

Eric21ND

I always play TSB3 with a bunch of friends, enough to stack a division so we can play each other a lot during the season.  This is our way of making the game much more challenging than the AI.  It also happens to be crazy fun to us.  I got to wondering if anyone has ever played with all 30 teams being played by a person instead of the computer?  Would anybody be interested in doing this?  I know it would take an ungodly amount of time to complete the season, but it could also be one best gaming experiences ever IMO.

Hey Eric-

I love the amibition here.  It would, though, be difficult to pull this off, since the population of TSBIII fanatics is sparse.  Seven of us are already wrapped up in a TSBIII league similar to what you are describing in this post.  Each season a handful of coaches MAN every team.  We are a retro-league.  We started in 1976 and are currently just beginning 1980. 

It's nice to see some TSBIII love.

Here's the website is you want to check it out:  http://scottzolak.com/thelegacy/

• 2 weeks later...

I always wanted a live tournament of this. I figure it would take a week to play a full season of 3-minute quarters on a single cart. What's interesting is you could also try trading with each other. The downside is who wants to be the Jaguars or the Jets for a full season (kind of like today)?

• 3 weeks later...

I always wanted a live tournament of this. I figure it would take a week to play a full season of 3-minute quarters on a single cart. What's interesting is you could also try trading with each other. The downside is who wants to be the Jaguars or the Jets for a full season (kind of like today)?

It's funny that those teams are still terrible almost two decades later lolz.  We usually opt for 7-minute quarters so the statictics come out more realistic.  Just the trading alone could take up some time depending how you set it up; it could also be immensely fun in process.  I think to make it fair and to maybe throw a bit of excitement into the mix would be for everyone to draw their team out of a hat.   

To answer the thread's question, our current league (which has had 5-7 people involved), albeit with 28 teams, is 1/4 of the way through completing this task for the fifth time.  I was also part of an older league that accomplished the feat two times, that time with the 30 teams from the OG ROM. 

• 2 weeks later...

To answer the thread's question, our current league (which has had 5-7 people involved), albeit with 28 teams, is 1/4 of the way through completing this task for the fifth time.  I was also part of an older league that accomplished the feat two times, that time with the 30 teams from the OG ROM. 

How do you actually go about doing it?  I assume you're doing this online?  See, my idea was to setup a big screen during the frequent Tecmo NES tournaments and see if people wanted to play a team/season of TSB3 during the down time.  I've only been to one NES Tecmo tournament and it was fun, but the NES version just doesn't interest me as much.  This turned out to be an all-day event and there was considerable down time that could be put to use playing TSB3.  I think we could actually make it out of week 1 with all teams on MAN. 

It is online.  We hook up through ZSNES.  We hold a draft each season, and depending on the number of coaches for the season coaches have anywhere from 3-6 teams, but in every season, all 28 teams are MAN controlled.  It takes approx 6-7 months to complete a season, so it is quite the endeavor.  We are currently doing 2 actual weeks per 1 tecmo week,

Getting people together for what you are talking about is the toughest aspect of it.  Most people who play TSBIII do not travel to the NES tournaments (and as far as I know there aren't even 30 people who play TSBIII in the entire 'online' and extended Tecmo community that I know of).  On the other side of the coin, the vast majority of NES tecmo people don't care much for TSBIII.  It's just how it is.

Ray (TecSpectre) held a TSBIII tournament a time or two, but eventually cxl'd it due to turnout.  Depending on where you are at in the country, you might be able to make one of Ray's "get togethers" he puts on in Philly, where a handful of people meet up and play TSBIII for the weekend.  He also holds an in-person league twice a season, but the format is different than what you speak of.  I think their league is currently full, but you could always ask him about it, or about if he is planning a side get together.

One just needs to get his/her TSBIII anyway s/he can, since the TSBIII population is sparse.  

Good luck with your idea- it would be cool if you could make it happen.

Edited by CheapCatch

It is online.  We hook up through ZSNES.  We hold a draft each season, and depending on the number of coaches for the season coaches have anywhere from 3-6 teams, but in every season, all 28 teams are MAN controlled.  It takes approx 6-7 months to complete a season, so it is quite the endeavor.  We are currently doing 2 actual weeks per 1 tecmo week,

Getting people together for what you are talking about is the toughest aspect of it.  Most people who play TSBIII do not travel to the NES tournaments (and as far as I know there aren't even 30 people who play TSBIII in the entire 'online' and extended Tecmo community that I know of).  On the other side of the coin, the vast majority of NES tecmo people don't care much for TSBIII.  It's just how it is.

Ray (TecSpectre) held a TSBIII tournament a time or two, but eventually cxl'd it due to turnout.  Depending on where you are at in the country, you might be able to make one of Ray's "get togethers" he puts on in Philly, where a handful of people meet up and play TSBIII for the weekend.  He also holds an in-person league twice a season, but the format is different than what you speak of.  I think their league is currently full, but you could always ask him about it, or about if he is planning a side get together.

One just needs to get his/her TSBIII anyway s/he can, since the TSBIII population is sparse.  

Good luck with your idea- it would be cool if you could make it happen.

So each person runs 3-6 teams then?  Your doing this using Hamachi?  Sounds interesting and I could get some buddies to join, they're pretty dedicated to playing TSB3.  I think there might be more fans of TSB3 out there, they just don't know of this forum, which has a strong NES bent at first glance.  It took me a while to find this section of the forums.  I'm in the midwest, not anywhere near Philly.  I'm not sure how it would work, but I do think it would be a lot of fun.      

There are easily over 30 people in the extended community that are fans of TSB3 Just including the active members of the NFTGL and all active and former members of the TLL you're looking at like 15. and that ignores many/most of the other active people on this forum.

Then there are other groups out there for sure. There are the guys who do the coach seasons together, I think that group was like 8 strong. The facebook group for TSB3 alone has 29 members and most people don't even know about it yet. The TSB3 fan page on facebook has 124 likes so far.

The people are out there.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi guys, browsing the TSB III forum brought me here and I got couple of suggestions for you.

It is not necessarily needed to find a bunch of so many people or to play all the games with all the teams. Here are few tips for having full season orgy with less people involved, maybe you find them helpful :-)

For 15 people it's easy, every player controls two teams, one from NFC, one from AFC. The first player can pick from either conference. If he picks first in NFC, he picks last (30th pick) in AFC and so on (1+30, 2+29, 3+28, ... 15+16).

There were inter-conference games West-East, Central-Central and East-West in 1995 so NFC East teams owners must choose from AFC East or Central, NFC Central owners must choose from AFC East or West, NFC West teams owners must choose from AFC West or Central to avoid playing a match between your teams in each conference.

When five people involved, players pick TWO (explanation below) teams in divisions, Eastern-Western first, then Central-Cenral and Western-Eastern last, the draft order is following:

A) who's got the first pick in Eastern-Western divisions picks last in Western-Eastern divisions and third in Central-Central,

B ) who's got the second pick in E-W divisions picks fourth in W-E divisions and last in C-C,

C) who's got the third pick in E-W divisions picks also third in W-E divisions and first in C-C,

D) who's got the fourth pick in E-W divisions picks second in W-E divisions and fourth in C-C,

E) who's got the last pick in E-W divisions picks first in W-E divisions and second in C-C.

Draw to determine A to E.

In 1995 NFC western teams faced AFC western teams, four times, that means each team in the division did not play against one (out of five) from the division in another conference. Buffalo played against Atlanta, Carolina, St. Louis and San Francisco, did not play against New Orleans. Indiana played against New Orleans, Carolina, St. Louis, San Francisco, not against Atlanta. To make sure players will play other playes in these inter-conference matches, they must choose following pairs of teams (those who did not play against each other in 1995):

Buffalo-New Orleans

Indiana-Atlanta

Miami-Carolina

New England-St. Louis

NY Jets-San Francisco

Cincinnati-Detroit

Cleveland-Chicago

Houston-Green Bay

Jacksonville-Minnesota

Pittsburgh-Tampa Bay

Denver-NY Giants

Kansas City-Philadelphia

Oakland-Arizona

San Diego-Washington

Seattle-Dallas

With this all 8 divisional games and 4 inter-conference games will be played between two human opponents. But what about those other 4 games? There is no way to avoid at least one game between your own teams during the whole season. You have to simulate these games (which sucks) or let someone else control your team (that sucks even more). But there is a solution to this, it is easy and simple and it will solve not only the season format for five people described above but also problem with number of people (so you can play whole season with any amount of people, not only with five, fifteen or thirty), travelling (you dont need to travel often or to spend many days in a row to complete a season) and time (240 games might be too many for some of us). It's easy.

All you need is some hex editor (HxD for instance) and some time, no hex editing knowledge is required.

Open TSB III rom in the hex editor and somewhere in the menu find GOTO option, then choose "goto offset" 16F00C (0=zero).

This will get you to line with these numbers and letters (values):

82 1E 81 1E 8A 1E 84 1E 8F 1E 0C F0 0C F0 0C F0 0C F0 0C F0 0C F0 07 02 06 01 08 09 1D 1B 19 1A 18 12 1C 15 16 05 04 00 0A 0C 0B 0E 11 13 14 17 03

Bolded 07 is the first value of the schedule in the game. It tells the game to put Cincinnati on the first place of the schedule. 02 is a value used for Indianapolis. 06 is Cleveland, 01 New England. First match of the season in TSB III is Cincinnati-Indianapolis, followed by Cleveland-New England. Each value represents one team.

00=Miami, 01=New England, 02=Indianapolis, 03=Buffalo, 04=NY Jets, 05=Pittsburgh, 06=Cleveland, 07=Cincinnati, 08=Houston, 09=Jacksonville, 0A=San Diego, 0B=Kansas, 0C=Oakland, 0D=Denver, 0E=Seattle, 0F=Dallas, 10=NY Giants, 11=Arizona, 12=Philadelphia, 13=Washington, 14=Minnesota, 15=Green Bay, 16=Detroit, 17=Chicago, 18=Tampa, 19=San Fransisco, 1A=New Orleans, 1B=Atlanta, 1C=St. Louis, 1D=Carolina. FF=empty slot (FF FF=no game).

Rewriting 07 02 06 01 (original values) with 00 01 02 03 will make Miami-New England first match of the season followed by Indianapolis-Buffalo. This way you can make your own schedule from the beginning to the end of the season. The great thing is teams do not need to play 16 games, if you want to keep some teams out of the competition without playing a single game, you can, if you want to shorten the season and play only 5 games with each (or less) team, you can, the game has no limits in this and does not care how many games teams will be playing, it's completely up to you. Just keep in mind the winners of the divisions will always make it to the play-offs even if they do not play a single game.

There must be at least one match each week or the game will crash.

Be careful when using FF FF (no match), put it always at the end of the week or the game will crash.

Long blocks of FF (at 16F20A, 16F440, 16F65A, 16F854, 16FA4C and 16FC44) represents end of the season.

Schedule editing allows you to modify TSB III for your needs. You can lower number of games, play the games between your friends in the neighbourhood first, then mail the ROM file and save state to another group of players in another part of the country to finish their games and then make a meeting or play rest of the games online during a weekend. Customize the schedule as you desire.

Edit: LOL, when reading other thread I figured out its possible to edit schedule with the editor :-D

Nevermind, customization of the schedule might make better experience when playing full seasons with other people.

Edited by DominikJagr

Hi TecSpectre!

When editing the game I am using SNES TSB3 Bible , I can hardly find something new I guess. Now I am working on some stuff (swapping teams in divisions/conferences, adding Pro Bowl teams as 31st and 32nd teams) and when I find the way how to do it I'll post it here. I am afraid both my aims require more skills than hex editing and without writing new code 32 teams rom/easy teams swapping will never be done.