Tecmonster's TSB 2015 ready for download

Tecmonster

Hey dude, I haven't had a chance to play your ROM yet, but I want you to know I totally appreciate the time you've committed to putting out a revised TSB experience for the modern season. From the write-up you've written, it looks like it should be a ton of fun. Congratulations, dude, and well done!

i must say again, after playing many modified roms over the years, this by far is my absolute #1 despite the annoying glitch i mentioned awhile back... the graphics appear choppy with the lone exception of the menu screens and the actual gameplay... i attached a screenshot of an error message i got after tweaking the rom using TSBTool Supreme... i think it may have something to do with the glitch, and if you have any suggestions for a solution, please let me know... I'd appreciate it... great job again, Tecmonster

post-5360-0-40818500-1423795808_thumb.jp

Phattboy, I'm not sure why your graphics are choppy but that "Garbage/orphin..." warning is basically nothing.  It just means you didn't add the four numbers at the top of the page where it says "YEAR=(blank)" to designate the year displayed in the rom.  If you leave it blank, it just defaults to whatever is already in the code, but you'll get that annoying warning.

I will say this: if you've been modifying the rom with TSBToolSupreme and haven't been following the instructions I posted on the first page of this thread that describe what you should do after you edit the rom, I'm shocked that you can play games at all.  In my experience, the game goes black right after the coin flip if you don't fix the code after using TSBToolSupreme to edit.

When you pull data from a rom and then apply it back, you can remove "Year =" or really anything that you haven't updated.

Lots of modded roms have different data in the place where tsbSupreme is expecting to find a date.

• 2 weeks later...

question:

is it possible to hand the ball to the running back off on zone reads? or is the handoff just for show?

i've read through all the pages in this thread but haven't found the answer. but i could very well just be overlooking something. any help would be greatly appreciated.

oh, and fantastic job with this. it's awesome to continue to play the best sports game with current teams and rosters. i'll be playing this nonstop in my new man cave basement on my wall projector.

(Natent321 here, wanted to change my user name several years ago and then just didn't post for w/e reason)

Just wanted to say I LOVE this rom.  

My life's been changing quite a bit and once I got used to touch controls (moga on the way), I've been playing the hell out of this rom on my phone whenever I have a down moment.

This site, the mods, and the energy around tecmo is super inspiring and I only wish I could find more tecmo folks in PDX to practice against so that I would feel capable enough to enroll in a tourney like Madison (we have family near by).

Obviously this rom is a totally different beast than the original but is amazingly fresh and fun - i love the moving grapples!

I'm struggling with the packers to stop the cpu in season mode - barely eeking out wins and losing a few heart breakers. 

Great job!

• 4 weeks later...

Just a progress report for improvements to the 2016 rom for anyone that might be interested:

(1) Fixed the uniform conflicts to prevent mass confusion, like the Bengals and Browns both wearing home uniforms against each other (orange/black vs. orange/brown).

(2) Added a zone read pass play called the Zone Read RB Flat, where the RB becomes an eligible receiver at the bottom of the field after the fake handoff.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Brandon.  I just added another zone read pass play called the Zone Read X Hot.  The X receiver does a quick pivot-out and the rest of the receivers run routes along the sidelines, at that also opens up the middle for a QB scramble for those who dare, especially since the defense programmed is protecting the outsides.

Thanks Brandon.  I just added another zone read pass play called the Zone Read X Hot.  The X receiver does a quick pivot-out and the rest of the receivers run routes along the sidelines, at that also opens up the middle for a QB scramble for those who dare, especially since the defense programmed is protecting the outsides.

Could you make a shotgun qb run play up the middle? That would be cool.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks TBGuy. 

Pocky, I've added a RB Draw play out of the shotgun, but I doubt I'll ever create a QB Draw play up the middle.  Gut shot runs in Tecmo rarely merit inclusion in a playbook over the alternatives (outside run plays and off-tackles, which tend to allow for more run space and better blocking).

Here are the changes I've made so far for the 2016 rom:

-- new plays

-- Zone Read Red Sea pass play (a sideline pass play that opens up the middle of the field for QB scramble)

-- Zone Read RB Flat (where the RB runs down into the flat as a receiver, after the playaction . . . might be my new favorite play, the drag-and-go route by the outside receiver is awesome)

-- Shotgun RB Draw (finally, a top-side run play for the RB out of the shotgun)

-- COM is better at avoiding sacks (I have a simple hack I can use for this, but I'm also testing xplozv's hack too)

-- faster COM QB rollouts (to also help avoid sacks)

-- improved the QB receiver progressions for the "COM find open receiver" hack

-- COM RB starts reacting to the defense sooner after taking the handoff

-- Zone Read RB pass plays -> RB doubles back to pass block after the playaction (except where he becomes a receiver)

-- shorter onside kicks (from xplozv)

-- smarter O-line pass blocking (from xplozv)

-- receiver jump/dive based on REC rating (from xplozv)

-- defender jump/dive based on COV rating (from xplozv)

-- minor adjustments to some receiver routes and blocking assignments across a few plays (e.g. WR1 now runs a sweet seam route in Shotgun XY Cross play, Pro T Cross Run L play has better blocking)

I may still make one or two more changes, but that's the vast majority.

The only thing missing from this great rom (and I don't even think it's possible yet) is a 2 pt conversion mod. Once that's complete, Madden can be put to bed forever.

ah yes, 2 point conversions . . . the white whale of TSB hacking.

Personally, I'm more interested in a hack that prevents the COM ballcarrier from jackhammering into his own blockers, over and over.  I think that's the biggest problem that still exists from the original game.  Well, that and maybe QB's that can all throw 120 yards.

How does the coverage attribute function?  I know in the original game the quickness attribute did not function and the interception attribute determined the probability of the pass being complete, incomplete, or intercepted.  I love this game it is challenging and the playbook is innovative!  It makes the players more like the actual players that you use the rushing power "acceleration attribute" on offense. 

Coverage helps determine whether the pass is completed or not.  If not completed, then the interceptions rating helps determine whether the pass is intercepted, or just merely deflected.

The other two factors that influence the result of a pass that reaches a covered receiver are (1) the QB's Pass Precision rating, and (2) the receiver's Receptions rating. 

This is interesting! How does it work?

I always found the COMs inability to avoid sacks to be one of the main differences between playing versus MAN and COM.

Looking forward to it!

Well, at this point, we have two different ways to do this.

(1) Simple method: every QB command line contains a few different bytes that control the QB's aversion to taking sacks.  The more you juice those numbers up, the more often the QB will get rid of the ball in the face of pressure.

(2) xplozv's method: he's built a hack where the QB will side-step the pressure and then either run or throw, with the chance of running based on the QB's speed rating. 

Xplozv's hack is really cool, but still has a bump or two to iron out.

• 2 weeks later...