***UPDATED 7-20-14*** 1996 Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball - SWANGIN' (SNES) - FINAL/OFFICIAL EDITION DOWNLOAD!!!

MvG Sports

Hello all!

I'm proud to announce that I have completed the first beta-test version of the first rom I've ever altered/created/hacked on 6-21-14...a 1996 version of Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball for the Super Nintendo.  Feel free to download it, below!

NOTES/THINGS TO LOOK FOR

ROSTERS - All of the roster and statistical information SHOULD be correct, however I am not perfect.  I used baseball-reference.com to determine both defensive lineups and batting orders, while verifying names, numbers, right or left-battedness.  I attempted to include the 25 players (15 batters, 10 pitchers) that contributed the most to/for the team...basically at-bats for batters and innings pitched for pitchers.  Players are on the teams they played MOST for/with in the 1996 season, so Denny Neagle is still on the Pirates, Greg Vaughn is still on the Brewers, Cecil Fielder is still on the Tigers and so on.  My reasoning behind this is that I didn't want to bastardize teams that made a lot of trades, or over-inflate those that greatly benefited, such as the above players I mentioned. 

The lineups and pitching staffs are meant to be played with as they're setup.  Obviously you can do whatever the hell you want, but I would recommend playing it "as is" for beta purposes, as I am attempting to gain some legitimate information and feedback from this "test".

STANCES - I tried to keep the stances the same for all players that were in the original 1994 (1993 season) version of the game...I say tried because even though I used the exact same inputs from the 1993 version, the some of the stances still aren't true to the original...but again the information I input was an exact duplicate/replication.  For the rest of the races and stances, I pretty much Googled every player to best determine their stance.  All of the pitchers not included in the 1993 version have the same batting stance.  For the 1993 pitchers, I retained all of their pitching styles (some throw sidearm, underhanded almost, and just different nuances).  For the "new" 1996 pitchers, I just used generic pitcher windups for righties and lefties accordingly.

BATTER RATINGS - Just going to layout how I came to the ratings that you see, so perhaps you can make more informed critiques when playing...

BAT - Solely based on batting average

POWER - Based on a formula I created including only 2 components, total HR hit and HR percentage (this is the same formula I used for my Home Run Derby game when I ran that a while back if curious.)

SPEED - Based on a formula I didn't create involving SBA per times on base, doubles, triples, stolen bases.  It seems a bit biased against catchers, so this is something I'll be looking into closely.  I don't want to give too many of my thoughts away at the moment because I really want you guys going in with a clean slate and an open mind.

FIELDING - Based on a very loose, conservative interpretation/implementation of the "FIELDING RUNS" stat.  This rating is about arm/throwing strength AND SEEMINGLY DEFENSIVE SPEED (which seems to be different than the SPEED rating), though this still needs further analysis and clarification.  A great deal of the players are currently rated average (5), and I made all of the Gold Glove winners of that year, 10s (the max) in this category.

*****EXTRA NOTE*****

I would recommend not making rating suggestions about individual players as they've all basically been plugged into these (what I think are) solid formulas...so if tweaks/changes are to be made, it will most likely be to most or all of the players in the game.  Again I don't foresee any complete overhauls, but I haven't even played a game yet myself (that is until I finish typing this lol)

PITCHING RATINGS

SPEED and CONTROL - I gave the same ratings for both attributes as I used a homemade stat that I came up with about 5 years ago to determine overall pitcher quality.  The positive inclusions for this stat are innings pitched (outs) and strikeouts while the negative inclusions are hits allowed, walks, hit batsmen, and earned runs allowed.

FATIGUE - Solely determined by innings pitched.

Again I hope you enjoy it.  If you have any comments, critiques, questions, suggestions, or other feedback, I'd love to hear it all.  I'm pumped to play a full game/World Series with this!!!  One last thing, in the ZIP file, I've included a list of the actual ERAs of 76 of the pitchers in the game, as the ERA limit is set to 5.11.  Take care all! :)

1996 KGB - SWANGIN - BETA 1.zip

1996 KGB - SWANGIN - BETA 2.zip

1996 KGB - SWANGIN - FINAL.zip

Edited by MvG Sports

FWIW, I've played 7 games, won them all.  I'm thinking of increasing everyone's FIELDING rating by 1 (except for those currently at 9s and 10s), bumping everyone that's at a SPEED of 1 to a 2, and slightly dumbing down the BAT ratings...probably -1 for most, and 0 for others...again it would solely be based on batting average.  I made a last minute change as to how I wanted to rate BAT, and even when I was inputting it, I thought it was a touch high, so I'll be reviewing that as well.

I feel like the game plays well otherwise.  Again, your opinions are welcomed and greatly appreciated.  I played almost 900 games of the original version back in 2010 so I'm very familiar with how it plays and all of its nuance.  I'm going to play at least a handful more contests before I make any changes, as I don't want to make any rash decisions.  Take care.

ERRORS

6-22

Texas Catcher, Ivan Rodriguez, is listed as a 10 in SPEED when it should be a 1.  The change has been updated for future versions.

6-29 (and previous)

Noticed multiple players having race/hair issues...Glenallen Hill (SF) is white, Jacob Brumfield (TOR) is white, Matt Williams (SF) has red hair, Doug Bochtler (SD) and Mark Petkovsek (STL) wear glasses, etc.  What I'll probably do is comb through each team to see if I notice anything amiss when I look at the "picture" of each player.  Either the data from the "named" version was incorrect, or the KGB editor is incapable of including/directly translating all faces/stances/etc. (I think it's the latter), but these things need attending to.

Edited by MvG Sports

I don't know about you guys, but I haven't lost yet, and it's a bit concerning to me.  Currently playing a World Series as Detroit v. San Diego...up 1 game to nil after a 6-1 win in Game 1.  Look to continue it now, but just wondering what's going on with the 7 others of you, if you're playing.

I'm currently 15-0 (W-L) in this BETA 1 version, including a WS win with PIT over ATL, and DET over SD, both sweeps.  My biggest win was my first game, COL over DET, 26-1.  The closest game I've played to date was a 6-5, 12 inning thriller in game 2 of my WS with PIT @ ATL.

I want to at least play with or against each team before I make any changes/release BETA 2 (or what will be the FINISHED PRODUCT?).  I might circumvent this however, by combing over every player on every team to check on races, stances, ratings, stats, etc.

I'm going to look into using my own stat instead of using FIELDING RUNS, since I've discovered that the fielding rating incorporates both defensive speed and arm strength.  I might also look into creating my own stat for the speed rating, since this is only in reference to offensive/baserunning speed.  That's about all I have.  As always, I'm interested in any stories, comments, questions, suggestions, or other feedback you may have.  Thank you and take care.

Trevor

Another update for those of you following along.  I have updated the batting ratings and fixed all of the race/stance issues (I'm pretty sure lol).  One of the shortcomings of the editor is that you can't edit a pitcher's appearance on the mound (minus his color/race), so if the closer on X team had a thick beard in the original version, that same closer will have that same thick beard in any hack made...same thing with glasses, mustaches, and long/short hair.  You are able to change the batting appearance for pitchers (which I have for all) however you'll only see that if/when pitchers bat.

I'm still working on the SPEED and FIELDING ratings so I can adjust them to what I want them to accomplish.  Speed is going to be some form of 2B? + 3B + SB + Extra bases taken? - CS - Outs on base? / Times on base?

For fielding, I'm going to look at fielding % in comparison to the league average at each particular position...perhaps incorporating assists and/or double plays to solidify the rating.  Assists will be much more valuable in determining arm strength for outfielders obviously.  Catchers are a bit more unique...I'll still be looking at fielding %, but probably putting more emphasis on their caught stealing/"throw out" percentage...so guys like Ivan Rodriguez will be studs and guys like Mike Piazza will be duds in the field of play.  So that's the heads up.  I'm looking for this second version to be the final version...I will probably just personally beta test it, make a tweak or 2 if I need to, and do the "official release".  Take care all.

Trevor

Fielding ratings updated...generally up across the board.  A few dropped 1 point, but again, a great deal gained a point or more.  All there's left to do is the SPD ratings as I'm not looking to make any pitching alterations.  Still need to finalize the formula, but we shall see.  Take care.

Trevor

ATTENTION!

1996 KGB - SWANGIN' - BETA 2 is now available for download!!!1  Can you tell I'm pumped lol.  This is potentially the FINAL edition, however I want to test it before I go saying something is "official"

KEY UPDATES IN BETA 2

- Batter races, stances, and hair colors fixed

- Batter BAT ratings decreased marginally/slightly

- Batter SPD ratings totally revamped...I created a new/my own stat incorporating doubles, triples, and stolen bases, essentially dividing those by times on base - home runs.  Again, SPD ratings only reflect offensive/baserunning speed.

- Batter FIELDING ratings increased a bit on the whole.  I decided to use hard FIELDING RUNS, instead of AVG FIELDING RUNS OVER 1200 INNINGS (or whatever it is lol).  This is by far the trickiest rating to determine as far as I'm concerned.  I tried to make sure a lot was average, without hitting the extremes too much...the lowest fielding rating should now be a 3.

I did NOT adjust the pitcher ratings at all because 1996 was obviously a hitter's year and I feel that the current setup forces you to manage your rotation more/better, as you're most likely not going to go 9 with your starter every single time out.  I have considered increasing the FAT(igue) ratings by 1 for the starting pitchers (the first 5), however I have opted not to for the time being.  I looked into races, stances, and hair colors a touch here, but just to see if I could change a/the pitcher's mound appearance, alas you cannot.  If a pitcher had a mustache, beard, glasses, etc in the original version, they will have it in all hacks.

Again, I would love, love, love feedback as that's how this thing is going to get better.  I'm very pleased with the product I've output, but I'm arguably biased because I am the creator as well.  Download away and play ball!  Thanks for your support and testing and such!

If curious, I finally lost, though I made the conditions kind of ideal to make it so...I was CAL v. CLE (lost 4-2) and I brought in Jim Abbott after 1 inning of work by Chuck Finley, who gave up a lead-off HR to Kenny Lofton.  Abbott did pitch 5.1 innings for me, surrendering 3 ER and K'ing 1.

I guess I'm happy I lost (lolwut?), it shows the game isn't too easy, at least for an instant lol

• 2 weeks later...

1996 KGB - SWANGIN' is now FINAL/OFFICIAL!

I adjusted roughly 10 faces/stances and after playing either for/against every team, I feel like this game is where it should be, especially enough to make it OFFICIAL.  Feel free to download the final edition in the first post here.

To those of you familiar with my MvG (Man v. Game) challenges, I'm thinking of doing a LIFETIME challenge with/v. this game...to play/win a World Series with each team against each team (I think that works out to 756 series...so between 3024 and 5292 games, depending on the duration of the Series.  Also, I would like to MANAGE a 162 game season for each of the 28 teams, being more in depth with the stats than the game is (including doubles, triples, runs scored, SB/CS (doubt there will be an SB) IP, CG, SHO, Pitch count?, Fielding stats?).  In KGB, you also have the option to choose the 1993 format (Four, 7-team divisions, 4 division winners make the playoffs) or the 1994 format (Four, 5-team divisions and two, 4-team divisions...6 division winners and 2 wildcard spots make the playoffs), and I think I will go for the 1993 format since everything is equal for all teams.  If that's the case, it'll be a minimum of 4536 games for this part of the challenge (that would be if I never made the playoffs) and 4928 games as the max...If I made the playoffs in every season, going 7 games in both the CS and WS.

So a grand total of 7560 to 10000+ games...hence the LIFETIME nature of the challenge lol.

Doing 1994, 1995, and 1997 season hacks for KGB is on my radar, however if I do embark on this LIFETIME challenge, coupled with the my yearly MvG Challenge(s), it would be a ton to undertake.  I'm not not up to the challenge, but I'm feeling pretty self-satisfied at the moment, getting this completed.  The 1997 season wouldn't be entirely accurate, as that was the year the Angels started being called the Anaheim Angels.  I suppose you could argue that my 1996 hack is not completely accurate either because the Rockies don't play at Coors Field (rather the old Mile High Stadium).

Nonetheless, like Michael Spinks minus getting knocked tf out in 91 seconds by Mike Tyson, THIS IS IT! lol.  Enjoy, laud, critique, etc!!!

I've played 7 World Series games, won them all thus far.  I've also managed 2 season games with Colorado and I don't think that part of the challenge is going to stick/take off...it's singles city and there are so many bad/conservative judgment calls on the AI's part that it gets rather mundane and frustrating lol.

Those that have played any version of the game...what do you think?  I've gotten 0 opinions to date...I think it's pretty great, but again I hacked it so...lol...not an unbiased opinion.

• 6 months later...

Well, I'm going to report the "glitches" in the game so I remember not to make them in future editions.  I'm not going to correct these as I have already released the "final" edition, thus they are as follows.

Manny Ramirez is a short guy and shouldn't be.

Sammy Sosa has a 7 BA rating when it should be a 6.

Vinny Castilla has a 9 BA rating when it should be an 8.

Andres Galarraga has a 9 BA rating when it should be an 8.

The 3 BA rating gaffes are on players that have a 10 POW rating.  That is all.

There is a specific editor for KGB that I used that was created circa 14 years ago.  I play on the ZSNES emulator, however it did nothing to enable the game edit.  I'm not exactly sure what "values" you're talking about either.  Let me know what I can clear up.

If you use FCEU, while playing a game, go to the top options there is an option called ppu viewer. It opens a window that shows whatever is currently on screen, be it a color, pictures, sprites, letters, numbers. Then you hover the mouse over the item and it shows you the two digit value. You then use those values to search for the addresses and edit them. That's how I did RBI 3 on NES.

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Tunnelrunner said:

I apologize if I missed it in the thread (I'm still rereading it right now) but how exactly does the "BAT" rating affect a player's performance?

Is "BAT" simply a measure of how often the batter makes contact?

I don't know the dictionary definition of the BAT rating for Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball, however I based it solely on batting average, thus to me, this rating is how well the batter puts the ball into play, as far as base hits go...I'm not sure how it computes exactly.

• 3 months later...

Just saw this thread, but BAT doesn't appear to do anything at all - at least from a user controlled player perspective. (i.e. it is no easier/harder to get a hit with someone with a high or low BAT rating.) 

PWR appears to be the only attribute that actually matters when a user is batting. A rating of a 9 or 10 may not make a difference. Some of my highest ever recorded HR totals have been done by players with a 9 rating. Below a 9 there is a definite drop off, but 9 and 10 appear function the same.

SPD only affects base running speed, it doesn't affect how fast your player moves in the field. It is still very important for hitting as there are certain groundball animations where a fast batter can beat the throw, but a slow batter cannot. This is particularly important when bunting. A player with a 9 or 10 speed can bunt every single at bat for a full season and hit over .500.

DEF controls both the fielder's speed and throwing speed.

All the stats matter for pitching and work the way you probably imagine (control is how much movement you can put on it, speed is how fast you can throw, and fatigue is how long they last before tiring).

FWIW, I have played at least a thousand games of Griffey over the years. I've completed numerous full 162 game seasons, but haven't played it much in recent years (damn adulthood). I also saved the stats for all the seasons played. For fun, here are the top 10 HR totals recorded in a single season by either me or my friend who used to play a lot too.

10. Bo Jackson / Cecil Fielder = 56

8. Chili Davis = 58

7. Albert Belle = 60

6. Mark Whitten = 64

5. Mickey Tettleton = 68

4. Kevin Maas / Danny Tartabul = 69

2. Joe Carter = 74

1. Cecil Fielder = 80

Some other notes: highest ever AVG = Rickey Henderson (.534), most RBI = Mark Whitten (390)