Do you play TSB3???

TecSpectre

You know man I wish I knew I get madden every year...after a few days of trying to play it I realize it's an eye candy upgrade.

It may be nostalgia and that I grew up on tecmo but I even remember I liked a lot of the maddens...played several seasons but honestly the last time the gameplay was good in any madden was the ps2 versions.

Now it takes hours just to set up a season and play season games on ps3 or ps4...

But I'm a nfl football junkie and tecmo is the real deal to me it's not even a so called Sim and I am a Sim freak but it's the best football games made....no sliders to mess with to get the perfect balance that No one can ever truly get...that's Y these newer madden games aren't for me..tsb 3 does get too easy at times against the cpu but I'm just sayin it's still awesome cuz of its simplicity and features and the cpu can surprise ur ass at times...just good fun that can't be matched imo

From a MAN v MAN standpoint, TSBIII has the fun factor because it is simple in its play, yet deceptively complex, due to the immense variation.  This includes anything from the well-timed spin move to the combinations of where the defensive players run to after a defensive call is made to the heat-seeking fullback that won't leave your MAN defender alone.  Also, there is great variety across opponents, so you cannot play everyone the same.  It seems like the game would eventually dry up, but as simple as the game is from a 'play' standpoint, new combinations and events arising keep it fresh.  Coaches learn your tendencies and you learn theirs so one must always evolve.

Tecmo also has a flair for the dramatics, negative and positive.

Well said sir...Ur right tho I have gotten so good at it yet I love playing it...I will usually deplete my offense to work on a killer defense one season...the next maybe create myself at qb and get me some good recievers and go for marinos single season records...the games off season allows you to do watever u want and I like to sometimes take run and shoot teams and turn them into power run offenses...so much to explore for a football junkie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I used to like it back when it came out in 1995 or so because it was one of the first games PERIOD that you could do trades on (no matter how rudimentary or random lol).  After playing TSB for NES and TSB1 for SNES a ton though, the gameplay for TSB3 seems very lethargic and cumbersome...games take forever to play/complete.  The stat stuff is pretty cool, but only if you're running seasons which my bro and I used to do a ton back in the day.

I feel like the older I get, the worse TSB3 gets, but I will also admit that I became (more of a) hater of this game after I read a lot of what guys on here were saying about the game...and realized, they were pretty spot on lol.  My take...take it for what it's worth.

• 8 months later...

There is an interesting reason for this, assuming it's the same that it is on the SNES (which I'm sure it is).  With the games set to SKP, it doesn't matter what players are on the roster: the game looks only at a single number, preassigned to each team and not editable (unless you're hex editing a rom), for how good a team should be.  The number is hex 0-15, basically like an individual player rating.  Dallas, for example, has a very high number.   The Jets don't.  So, in a skp game between two teams, the only thing the game is doing is throwing that single number from each team into an algorithm and producing a result - the actual players on the team don't factor in at all.

COM games, obviously, pit the actual players against each other and produces results from actual in-game events.  So, if you're building rosters and running seasons and want to see which teams are actually the best, COM games are the way to go!

Do you know the offsets of these numbers for hex editing? Or at least an area where they are approximately located, I would figure them out.

Edit: Found it: http://tecmobowl.org/topic/2968-simulation-hex-values-for-tsb-iii-snes/

Edit 2: I dont think the game looks only at a single number, I think it looks at all sim values from the thread above. I did a test, I edited those offensive/defensive values for Dallas (11, originally CC, best in the game) and Indianapolis (CC, originally 23, very low) and let the game play couple of games (home-away, away-home, home-away etc) in the so called fast sim mode and the slow sim mode. Dallas won 10:5 in fast sim mode and 8:2 in slow sim mode. With no editing Dallas won 10:5 in fast sim mode and 7:3 in slow sim mode.

The game probably looks at all sim values and as Dallas has pretty high numbers everywhere so it wins most of the time even when those offensive/defensive values are set to 11.

Edited by DominikJagr

Do you know the offsets of these numbers for hex editing? Or at least an area where they are approximately located, I would figure them out.

Edit: Found it: http://tecmobowl.org/topic/2968-simulation-hex-values-for-tsb-iii-snes/

Edit 2: I dont think the game looks only at a single number, I think it looks at all sim values from the thread above. I did a test, I edited those offensive/defensive values for Dallas (11, originally CC, best in the game) and Indianapolis (CC, originally 23, very low) and let the game play couple of games (home-away, away-home, home-away etc) in the so called fast sim mode and the slow sim mode. Dallas won 10:5 in fast sim mode and 8:2 in slow sim mode. With no editing Dallas won 10:5 in fast sim mode and 7:3 in slow sim mode.

The game probably looks at all sim values and as Dallas has pretty high numbers everywhere so it wins most of the time even when those offensive/defensive values are set to 11.

Yeah very probable Dominikjagr...

I´ve played... I don´t know 5,000 leagues and skip the teams...

Usually when you put better players in a team, that team has more possibility to win.

My first experiments were with Jets and Bucs (2 miserable teams in the game) I traded great players and they started win.

However I see some kind of overvaluation to Raiders and Cowboys most of the time.

I suppose there must be more variables to the result, but players definitely are one of them...

• 2 weeks later...