A 5,000 Yard Season

DeBerg

You'd have to run backward a lot and go out of bounds. The problem is that running backward takes a long time too. With 12 minutes of playing time, that would be a true challenge. I rarely even get 300 yards in a game, let alone more than that, on average, for a whole season.

My friend and I used to try and run up the stats a lot.   I don't know that I ever broke that one either.   I'd guess doing onside kicks every time.  Trying to find the team with the highest Running Power on  O-line (or maybe D-line, i forget which is special teams kickoff).   That right there should make it way easier to get to 300 a game.   Probably also have to sacrifice your other players stats as well.  No one leading in number of receptions, but probably one sure handed receiver that you throw bombs to every set of downs and has almost as many receiving yards as your qb does passing yards.    

Reset on injuries (probably a given).    Try to think about your division rivals for a particular season as well.  Miami seems pretty solid as they only have to compete with Buffalo on paper.  But it seems like from time to time Dreew Bledsoe catches on fire in that game and starts putting on a clinic.  You also probably want to play pretty cheap and blitz them over the middle a lot.  Otherwise they'll run the clock out on you with that bs where they go 3 and out and then connect on 4th and 40 to some guy with 0 receiving in triple coverage.

I feel like if you're going to break a record, to have it mean anything, you do it without things like resets or onside kicks. You play it straight.

I get where you're coming from.  It's just that you can't do much about the computers playstyle otherwise.   I can dominate the computer in a straight up game and have an end score of 70 or higher but only 200 or so passing yards, mainly because of the shitty way they play when losing in the 4th quarter.   You end up getting the ball at their 30 or further in every time if you don't at least kick it short on purpose.  They just eat the clock in frustrating ways otherwise.

I'm trying to play it straight but I am running scores up, and making a lot more deep balls than I regularly do. With Marino it's easy though, cause Clark, Hill, and Fryar are monster receivers on that team. I'm not even using McDuffie, so far the 3 WR is working perfect.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So far this is going very well.

I managed 500 yards against New England and had 3 games with 400 yards. The lowest yardage I had was 288 yards against Pittsburgh.

So far, I am 6-0 and have 2,588 yards with 21 TD's and 2 INT's.

Next up is the Jets, who I threw for the 600+ yards up against in week 1.

I did it

Dolphins went 15-1, here's the stats for you

Marino 215/310, 69.4%, 5,667 yards, 52 TD, 6 INT, Rating 183 (Best rated QB)

But he lost the MVP and offensive player of the year both to Chris fucking Warren. Seattle went 7-9.

I had 3 Wide receivers hit the 1,000 yard mark

Irving Fryar 1,772 yards, 17 TD's

Gary Clark 1,118 yards, 7 TD's

Randall Hill 1,028 yards 10 TD's

And even with these massive passing stats, I still rushed over 2,000 yards.

Terry Kirby had 1,027 rushing yards and 21 TD's rushing and 1 TD in receiving (2nd most scorer of the season)

Kieth Byars had 707 rushing yards and 7 TD's (this guy is a juggernaut on offense)

Bernie Parmalee had 655 rushing yards and 11 TD's

Total offensive stats

8,219 total yards, 5,734 passing, and 2,485 rushing.

Ranked #1 all through the board.

Biggest stat whoring I have ever done, and I got over the 5,000 mark. Actually I was over it by week 13, and then I piddled around a bit in some other games. I had a few really bad ones where I threw for around 150-250. My worst was where I threw for 154 yards against Buffalo with a 47% completion rate, and I ultimately lost this game, with it being my single loss.

For my offense, I lost O.J. McDuffie early on and he didn't show back up until week 13 ( a total of 10 weeks) so I had to rely on Randall Hill until I figured out how much better Clark is than him. Of my 6 INT's, 4 were to passes intended for Hill, and in the one game I lost, Hill had the fumble that ultimately sealed the deal for Buffalo. Hill also had the most drops on my team.

• 1 month later...

Yep 5 minute quarters :cool:

Pretty fun but ultimately pointless since I choked in the playoffs to the fucking RAIDERS who beat me at the last second after coming back from what was a 14-24 beat down in the making.

Then the Raiders go into the Super Bowl and get beat to a pulp 38-3 against Dallas, who was only 9-7 this season.

Wierdest season ever for the NFC, SF, Dallas, and Green Bay all finished 9-7 and still strangely Dallas won their division. Best record for the NFC was Detroit at 11-5, who should have beat the Cowboys. The biggest COM vs COM comeback I ever seen when Dallas erased a 17-0 blow out and came back and won 27-20. Atlanta won the West at 10-6 and then got shut out bad by the Niners at 31-0 who ultimately choked against Dallas in the NFCCG after some bad fumbles.

As for the AFC Oakland went 13-3 and was my biggest competition all year and ultimately beat me in the AFCCG, then hilariously couldn't score more than 3 points against a 9-7 Dallas team that looked like they were on juice in the SB.

• 9 months later...

Good on you for making it. We've topped 5k passing yards in 5-minute quarters many times using customs, greats, or QBs like Marino, Elway, and Young (I don't think anybody did it with Favre, and none of us used Aikman, ever).

It ultimately depends on how straight you want to play it. If you fair catch every kick or step out of bounds at the 1, you can obviously maximize the possible yardage. If you onside kick after every score in the fourth, likewise (I generally kick away for the first three quarters, as a safety nets more yards for the offense). If you stack your team with a quality OL and solid receivers, even better.

For my part, I tried to not only break yardage records (whether running or passing), but I'd also strive to maintain impossibly high YPA/YPC. This would mean that I might run the ball inside the 20 if I was going for passing. I'll have to load up the actual cart later to see just what the current record is (most likely it is out of date, if it hasn't reset itself as it stands).

Edit: I checked the cart, and while it hasn't reset, it's outdated. Drew Bledsoe (!) holds the record at 5211 yards. That is likely a CPU record.

Edited by pi_hole