Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mort1237

Taking Advantage of the Player Ratings: Receivers Vs Defensive Backs

11 posts in this topic

This is the first of several articles on Tecmo101 which will show how the player ratings can be used to dictate strategy.  This involves but is not limited to play selection, defender selection, matchups, offense, defense, special teams and techniques.  These articles are in depth and involve a lot of aspects of game play that has been previously mentioned or has not been mentioned.

At the same time it is important to keep in mind Tecmo is a game of luck.  Basically these articles help you put the odds in your favors.  The ratings in many cases result in probability calculations.  At the same time it is important to remember that not all gambles will work.  There is always the chance of a very negative result.  Yet hopefully these articles will show you how to minimize that.

The Basic Concept

In the game of Tecmo Super Bowl most defenders are below average.  This flaw includes the defensive back position which has many slow defensive backs.  Our goal is to exploit those slow defensive backs with faster receivers.   Therefore we can risk throwing into coverage as the coverage may not be there when the ball arrives to the receiver.

Keep in mind that probability determines the results of a pass.  You do not need to know the exact equation.  You do need to know that an open reciever has good odds of catching the ball.  Those odds get better as QB PC, receiver rec and receiver MS come into play.  Also lets note that there are only two outcomes.  Catch or drop.

If the defender is in coverage there is a third option.  Interception.  DB int is important as a risk factor.  Yet our goal is to have our receiver open when the ball arrives.  At the same time when the ball is snapped we want the receiver to be covered by a drone in man to man coverage.  We do not want the manned defender anywhere near the mismatch.

Plays

Now for a lot of you reading this I am sure it is still confusing.  For now keep in mind that we have a mismatch in the favor of the offense.  I prefer to throw deep routes to WR 1 on the top of the screen.  I get better results with wr1 and it fits my playbooks better.  At the same time this can be done with the bottom WR.  Now I am going to list several pass plays with a deep route for wr1 at the top of the screen.

Pass 1
pro t screen l, play action, R and S Flare C

Pass 2
pro t flare D (the deep route can turn on an angle into the field nor does it have to go all the way down the field.)

Pass 3
Pro T Flare C and Shotgun X drive

Pass 4
R and S Y up, Shotgun Z s in.  (x out and fly often curves out of bounds so do not use.)

First Matchup Min vs Det

DB 1 Leroy Irvin 25 ms(38 int), DB 3 Bennie Blades 38 ms (44 int) vs Anthony Carter 56 ms (QB pc 44)

Min vs Det is my favorite matchup call and this concept is part of why its my ace in the hole.  The important thing to keep in mind that the risk of an int is higher against Blades.  Yet at the same time both of these defensive backs are out matched by my WR.  In many matchups one defender will be bad and the other defensive back will be good.  At the snap you have to find out who is covering your WR1 as soon as possible.

What we are looking for

Now several other factors are important.  You want the human defender to guess pass.  You want your top WR1 in man to man coverage with the weak drone at CB1.  If there is another deep route you need it to be covered by a drone as well.  Hopefully there will be someone wide open on a short route.  These are critical factors to distract the human defender.

At this point one of two things will happen.  On the screen your WR will beat his DB1 and you can throw a pass on a diagonal to him when you see the WR running past the defensive back.  At times it will almost look like the DB is hunched over or standing still.  Regardless now you have a wide open wr that your opponent thought was covered.  Throw it now and its just a matter off that diagonal pass connecting.  Keep in mind that if you throw it over the top there is a good chance the DB will just jump and deflect the ball.  The risk though that since this is on the screen there is a chance that manned defender is watching for this and will move back to cover you.  With this type of mismatch this is not what I am looking for.

Despite how bad the mismatch is not every time Irvin covers Carter will Carter beat him on the screen.  Which is good because I want Carter to run past Irvin off the screen.  Through experiment I know that on each route the receiver will outrun the drone only one time if at all.  It will either happen on the screen or off the screen.  Therefore if Carter and Irvin run neck and neck on the screen I know there is a good chance Irvin will be smoked off the screen.

Cross Diagonal Throw

This is what I call this type of pass in practice.  Keep in mind that just because my wr is open does not mean I can throw him the ball on a straight line.  The odds are good that pass will be deflected.  Nor can I wait too long.  The defensive back might catch up with Carter later on.  Also with Wade Wilson’s low PS the longer I wait the more chance I risk the ball being deflected by a jumping DB.  I want to throw the ball about 30 to 50 yards down the field.  At the same time I need to get the diagonal so I have to throw from the bottom of the field.

Lets go back to the play.  Remember Carter and Irvin are neck and neck on the screen.  I scramble down and outside the pocket moving towards the line of scrimmage.  I need to be as close as I can get from down there.  At the same time the human defender is covering a short route and accounting for my scramble.  This all happens in about five seconds.  Carter now goes off the screen and is one on one with Irvin.

All I do now is move the QB in the direction of Carter, switch to him if I am not already on him and then throw the ball to him while moving on an angle towards him.  Now if there is a good throw I got good chances that Carter pulled ahead in the black screen.  On this angle the drone is out of the picture.  Meaning most likely the pass will either be caught, often diving or fall incomplete.  Often diving.

Getting it to Work

Its not going to work every time.  Yet there are other factors that can increase the odds.  Higher pass control, higher MS and RS of the wr are key factors.  Conditioning is a big factor.  I find often that a WR in Good or excellent or one with high RS has a few more steps to grab the ball.  I personally use this in a CHI vs KC matchup.  Neal Anderson destroys the KC DB 3 and is often open deep due to his 50 RS.  Higher pass speed helps if that qb has a good pc number.  Marino can be deadly accurate at times.  Say in a Mia vs Cin.  Then of course if nothing else works it does help that often misses result in incomplete passes.

The most important factor is practice.  The more work you get at somethingthe better it will become for you.

Teams with weak DB1 or DB3

KC, DEN, Det, Phi, PHX, NYJ, CLE, IND, NO, ATL, RAMS

Its important to keep in mind for this to work you have to know which player, db1 or db3 is the slow one.

Video Example 1: Fast Forward to 1:22 to see a real time example.

>http://youtu.be/UqH9rfW8SJY

Of course later in that game I went for it again and it failed.  Its not without risk.  Yet the reward of an easy touchdown pass or forcing the manned defender to watch deep routes can force openings in the pass defense.

497 b.gif?host=tecmo101.wordpress.com&blog=4

View the full article

Edited by mort1237

It also works with Pass 4 Slot L Z Drive.  

However, I don't think WR RS has anything to do with the ability of a WR to beat the DB once they get past the field of vision, I'm sure its their MS.  The same tactic works on certain plays for WR 2 as well. I tend to not like cross field throws with lower PC QBs because they not only overthrow the ball but tend to throw the ball very short making the receiver come back to the ball along with 2 or 3 defenders.

well i think it plays a role as I find this technique works a lot better with 44 rs wr's or the rare 50 rs plus player.  I also notice that the good condition seems to make it extremely likely.  Yet at the same time I've noticed that it works about the same amount of times with 44 ms wr's as 56 ms wr's in average.

Tadoas is half right.

. Its easiest to think this way because this is what they actually are.

RS= initial speed
RP= acceleration
MS= top speed

This is what I found to support what I think is going on.  From what I have seen when the computer is in control of a wr it doesn't always run at full speed.  A human is always moving to or at the maximum speed of the player.  The computer often seems to gain or lose ground if you compare the relative location of a db and wr running down the field.  At times the db will be beat on the field.  Yet if you wait and throw later they db and wr could be back to neck and neck.  In fact I often find that the db will catch up off the screen if it is beaten at the line of scrimmage.

If the speed is changing than higher rs is important as that players with 44 rs can not move as slowly as a 38 rs wr might.  Also does the wr only move at either the initial speed and maximum speed.  Or is every number between the rs and ms possible.  If that was true than a 38rs 56 ms wr has 4 possible speeds and a 44 rs 56 ms wr has three possible speeds.  Which would mean that a 38 rs wr is more likely to be moving slower than a 44 rs wr. 

It also works with Pass 4 Slot L Z Drive.  .

I forgot about that one.  I also didn't include redgun as I wanted it to be WR1 across the board.  Also bad playactions it might work but would you get the play off.  Just mentioning it in case someone asks. 

I forgot about that one.  I also didn't include redgun as I wanted it to be WR1 across the board.  Also bad playactions it might work but would you get the play off.  Just mentioning it in case someone asks. 

I'm talking about WR 1 in Pass 4 slot L Z drive

This is not correct. You have to think of 38RS as less than 06MS because thats what it actually is.

50RS is the same current speed as 06MS. 

As to why a DB can get beaten way down the field i haven't 100% quite figured out as even a bad computer DB's top speed should be greater than a WR's. I think it has something to do with the way a drone DB is programmed to stay close to a WR.  

If that was true than a 38rs 56 ms wr has 4 possible speeds and a 44 rs 56 ms wr has three possible speeds.  Which would mean that a 38 rs wr is more likely to be moving slower than a 44 rs wr. 

that hadn't made much sense after i posted anyways as it left gaps for guys with more rs than ms.  Perhaps its more to do with the conditioning but on my own I've clearly seen guys with more rs have better success on the deep route in the black screen.  I'm talking the difference of a diving incomplete and a diving catch.  Maybe a pixel or two if you measure it that way. This is why I hate taking guesses even when I look at a post from earlier as I figured I hadn't understood that.  Thanks for the clarification.  i was hoping to run this by you to get a clear understanding and sorry if I hashed up your post from earlier.  Its often I build my game plan going on gut reactions then I hope later some sort of logic justifies what I have been noticing in many practice games.

perhaps they had to put another program in to keep wr's open and it would make sense now that I think about it.

it took me about a year to figure out how to take advantage of the openings I kept noticing in the black screen with this technique.  I never really thought much off it until I realized it was possible in the right situation to take advantage of this.  Perhaps they didn't think it was a big deal or notice this was happening.  I would guess they programmed the db getting beat to catch up to take away easy passes.  It would help explain how in the right games with AC in good he can beat Db1 on det deep almost every play like this.  You can't always hit him with Wilson.  Still the opportunities to throw deep like this is often in a lot of these match ups with these bad DBS.

Great post, love reading these.

Here's another tecmo school idea.  OL vs DL and LBs.  What are some match ups to exploit.

Mort your bro (Lou?) used this tactic against me a few times in HSTL this season and it worked like a charm.  Of course it was QB Eagles to Keith Jackson but still, I can never get those bottom to top passes to work consistently  :)

My favorite type of "burn" route is the pass3 pro set where the bottom WR curls, but if you tap 3 times you can get the quick hitter if you have a fast WR.  And if the opponent goes low then you can instead tap back to the top WR.  Great play with a good QB/WRs.

On Monday, February 10, 2014 at 11:22 AM, segathonsov said:

Great post, love reading these.

Here's another tecmo school idea.  OL vs DL and LBs.  What are some match ups to exploit.

That's a great thought that i wanted to research more recently based on fair matchups used in madison tourney . Run blocking and pass blocking are way different. Lot of Angle blocking and pulling guards in tecmo.  I never knew that Left guard does not pull on R+s sweep right when your opponent picks an run but does when your opponent picks pass. Also the slower the Ms of ur pulling guards the better.  Learned that from @mort1237 from his game vs Reg...the Chi guards are to fast in green bay tourney.   From my basic tecmo research your drone defender needs and 4notch Hp advantage or 25pts to Popcorn an Lineman ( and may be 5o% or depend on conditioning and both players may knock each other out.) on passing plays. The blocking Matches The Lt, Lg, C, Rg, Rt vs Lb1 Re Nt Le Lb4. Double check that. @mort1237 research has the Lb2 dropping in coverage vs R+s plays a lot. the Lb1 may drop vs Shotgun PASS 3 3O÷ of the time for example. So u may not get Lb1 vs The Lt on certain pass plays.        Matchups That an drone Dline May Popcorn an.Olineman.        

Phx vs Atl. Phx Lb1 63hp vs Atl Lt 38Hp        

Tb vs Pitt: Pitt Nt 56Hp vs Tb C 31hp        

Sd vs Tb: Sd Nt 56hp vs Tb C 31hp            

Rams vs Tb: Rams Lb4 69Hp vs Tb Rt 38hp                                                             

Atl vs Tb Atl Nt 56Hp vs Tb C 31 hp                                                          

minn vs tb Minn Re 69 hp vs Tb Lg 38 Hp                                                    

Phi vs Chi Chi Nt 69hp vs Phi C 38 Hp                                                         

Phi vs Chi Chi Le 63 hp vs Phi Rg 38hp   

Phi vs oak Oak Nt 69 Hp vs Phi C 38 Hp                                                   

Phi vs oak Oak Le 69Hp vs Phi Rg 38 hp                                                

Phi vs Kc Le 63 Hp vs vs Phi Rg 38 hp                                                                                                        

Nyg vs Hou Nyg Lb1 75hp vs Hou Lt 5o hp

Nyg vs Buf NYG lb1 75hp vs Buf Lt 5o hp    .....

Edited by red98sethuthut
phillyTbRunR+sAndshotgunplays

14 hours ago, red98sethuthut said:

That's a great thought that i wanted to research more recently based on fair matchups used in madison tourney . Run blocking and pass blocking are way different. Lot of Angle blocking and pulling guards in tecmo.  I never knew that Left guard does not pull on R+s sweep right when your opponent picks an run but does when your opponent picks pass. Also the slower the Ms of ur pulling guards the better.  Learned that from @mort1237 from his game vs Reg...the Chi guards are to fast in green bay tourney.   From my basic tecmo research your drone defender needs and 4notch Hp advantage or 25pts to Popcorn an Lineman ( and may be 5o% or depend on conditioning and both players may knock each other out.) on passing plays. The blocking Matches The Lt, Lg, C, Rg, Rt vs Lb1 Re Nt Le Lb4. Double check that. @mort1237 research has the Lb2 dropping in coverage vs R+s plays a lot. the Lb1 may drop vs Shotgun PASS 3 3O÷ of the time for example. So u may not get Lb1 vs The Lt on certain pass plays.        Matchups That an drone Dline May Popcorn an.Olineman.        

Phx vs Atl. Phx Lb1 63hp vs Atl Lt 38Hp        

Tb vs Pitt: Pitt Nt 56Hp vs Tb C 31hp        

Sd vs Tb: Sd Nt 56hp vs Tb C 31hp            

Rams vs Tb: Rams Lb4 69Hp vs Tb Rt 38hp                                                             

Atl vs Tb Atl Nt 56Hp vs Tb C 31 hp                                                          

minn vs tb Minn Re 69 hp vs Tb Lg 38 Hp                                                    

Phi vs Chi Chi Nt 69hp vs Phi C 38 Hp                                                         

Phi vs Chi Chi Le 63 hp vs Phi Rg 38hp   

Phi vs oak Oak Nt 69 Hp vs Phi C 38 Hp                                                   

Phi vs oak Oak Le 69Hp vs Phi Rg 38 hp                                                

Phi vs Kc Le 63 Hp vs vs Phi Rg 38 hp                                                                                                        

Nyg vs Hou Nyg Lb1 75hp vs Hou Lt 5o hp

Nyg vs Buf NYG lb1 75hp vs Buf Lt 5o hp    .....

@red98sethuthut The left guard will sometimes not pull if you call run vs the R&S run 3. It's about a 60% random chance they won't pull.  

Here are the numbers from the what team would you pick thread that I posted...

For >=25 HP < 50 HP difference DEF vs OFF (drone V drone)

33%-> normal grapple

24%-> OL thrown but defender is flat on ground. 

43%-> bust in without falling down

For a >=50HP difference DEF vs OFF (drone V drone)

20%-> normal grapple

16%-> OL thrown but defender is flat on ground.

64%-> bust in without falling down