Seattle, WA - 04/12/14 - Pac-Rim Tecmo II

SirTed

Ted et al.,

You guys put on an amazing tourney, thank you for all the work you put in.  It was a pleasure meeting all of you...thanks to Manyo for the lesson - I look forward to getting another shot with better plays ;-) TBK - gotta love a guy that sticks by his team no matter the odds - he definitely not a fair weather fan.

Gudor - aka, 'Best of the worst, 2014.'

How did Tailback do?

There was a cartridge glitch and Johnny Johnson did not have any hidden attributes. TBK was robbed. I think the call against him was SF/PHX. Naturally, you always choose PHX. Who would've known that the "Regular Johnny Johnson Attributes" glitch would've kicked in? What a shame...

TB's first game was against Sir Ted and lost a very close PHX PIT matchup. His second game PHI PHX was called and he took Phx and won. 3rd game, I'm not sure.

I know TBK lost his 3rd match because he was in the 'tournament of "champions"' (AKA losers) with me, but he lost early in that in another PHI/PHX matchup - and you know who he had.  I was looking forward to playing him...maybe next time.

SirTed's Pac-Rim II Recap

First - just a thanks to everyone for coming out and supporting. One of the great things about the Tecmo scene for me is the relationship between online and live. I love coming on here (almost) every day and chatting with folks, seeing what's going on, and watching a game or two of Tecmo. That said - the online world just can't compete with live events. Really getting to spend time with all the folks that were there was a huge thrill for me. One of my absolute favorite days of the year. Hopefully we can talk Manyo into another PNW come summer.

First and foremost - the format was really tough on vets this year. For the opening games I did my best to match the vets up with one another on as a close a level as possible within the structure of the tourney, knowing full well that each of us would need to win 2 out of 3 to make it into the knockout round.

My first game was a better than you would expect slug fest between myself and TBK. He clearly brought a new playbook and strategy to our game, and probably should have won it, to be honest. I got a int with Lake in the end zone in the first qtr and got a chase down on the last play of the 1st half, tackling him at the 1. I think I won by 7.

I wont bother you with my next game against Grip. He deserved to win and he did. I had the MO at one point getting an overthrown int from Miller / Millen already up 3 or 7 (not sure) only to throw it away on the next play. Dumb.

Game of the day for me (and maybe the tourney???) was an elite 8 match-up with the Cinderella of the tourney, Stanley. I think the match-up was SD (stan) vs. KC (Ted). The details of the game are a little fuzzy (more on this, later). If the events are out of order, I apologize. All I can really tell you from the game is - after a deadlocked regulation, I had one last play and heaved it to Paige for the JJ TD...only the Tecmo gods were looking for Karma as I was dive tackled on the 1 yard line to close out regulation. Then in OT I had a FG lined up perfectly with Lowery only to have it BLOCKED by O'neal!!!

DOUBLE OT!!!!!

After receiving the kick in 2nd OT I stalled out on the first series. Who knows what came over me, but facing a 4th and 8 on my 20yrd line I decided I was going for it. Shock came over the room. I suspected I could get the match-up I was looking for - and sure enough, called r1 toss with Stanley settling for O'neal. Pretty sure I broke a big one there, setting up Lowery for the game winner. It was a great game, and I didn't have anything left.

I promptly shit the bed in my next match-up with Grip. He deserved the win again, and likely would have won if I was on top of my game but there was NO chance I was taking that one home.

My big take away this year:
1. PED's -
I Need a better balance when it comes to "sportsman's beverages". Last year, hardly drank at all because I was running around frantic (finished 3rd). This year, drank waaaay too much to have any hope (finished 3rd), hmmm.

2. Format -
I am a fan of the format, even if it punishes the top tier guys a little. While a few guys were probably knocked out earlier than they would have liked, I don't think anyone would or could argue that a more deserving champ was out there. Invader. Wow. What a great performance. He didn't lose a game all day. I'm really glad I could call him out of retirement for this. Now he's got the PNW belt though, so he better get used to being seen.

3. Myth Busting -

I almost hate to say anything because in a way, I could be taking away from a huge "national" draw of PNW Tecmo but I think it's necessary. Re: Tailback King. Without a doubt, he is one of, if not the most fun player / person at these tourneys. I know, despite everything that most if not all of you out there would love this dude. ANNNND despite his over all tourney record, and his perception - dude can play some Tecmo. He just happens to be insanely loyal to a horrible team ;)

Along those same lines, I'd like to address the one character that was conspicuously absent from the festivities on Saturday. The Fiasco From Pasco himself, Scandalous Randalous Fairfied. No doubt the field could have used the boost in competition, and seeing him waltz around with his medals on probably would have boiled a little blood but Randy did make an appearance on Friday night for the pre-funk. Again, shocking as it may be - (and perhaps he wouldn't want me to share either) Randy was awesome. Just a super nice guy. I was really glad he made it out, and it definitely surprised me, even though every other time I've seen him at live events he was nice for the most part.

Finally, a shout out to Manyo. Thanks for coming through and setting up the stream and all that. To be honest, I have little idea of what goes into it but I know it's gotta be a pain in the ass. Thanks for doing man. I hope your tourney juices are flowing, and you're already dreaming up PNW. I'm looking forward to it, and of course let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

1493156_10203497260774199_14839580958335

Kamp's Tourney Recap.

Got there early after a late night at Ted's the night before and a couple of hours of driving in between. Played a warm up game with Andy the Walrus to get the chops going. Before you know it it's game time.

Game 1 vs Gripsmoke.

He calls INdy NE on me, I take the Pats with the better D and QB. I was still able to run some but I fumbled one away in the 1st half. I did get a last second JJ to Marv Cook to tie it at the half at 14. Back and forth 2nd half, saw Grip nail a FG with about a minute left. My first heave try was blocked. 2nd one I don't remember, I was on my own 10. Grip, who easily outtaps me, was coming in with a LB (Slow, yes, but Marv I think was in bad and I didn't have enough time, so I tried to insta-engage him hoping for a drone OL to help, but no drone OL showed up, sack, game. 24-21 Colts. I was banking on Jeff George messing up but he never did. He went into Good and Grip played really well. Another tourney, another loss to start my day. UGH

Game 2 vs Andy the Walrus

Gotta win next two to make the bracket seemingly. I win toss and pick Mia Chi. If I recalled correctly, I think Andy dominated taps vs me last year (didn't recall any tap isos in our pretourney game) so I picked all pass no run, or all run no pass matchup. He took Miami and the Bears D gave Marino fits all day. Pulled out a final of 28-0 Chicago. Andy is a great dude and was a huge help for the tourney's set up and execution.

Game 3 vs Da Professor

Da Professor is a rad dude. He hit it off with my homeboy Corkster at Ted's the evening before, and my fondest memory of Da Professor was an L he dropped on Randy at the last NW tourney last year. We are basically playing a win and your in deal. I know I can outtap Da Professor, so I had a SD Den matchup handy, but he won toss and picked Rams SD. Had to think about this one, as I HATE having to defend the Rams passing attack, but I went with SD. He remembered our score from last year's tourney in Centralia, a 28-14 tilt. This one had all the pressure you need.  Pulled out a 24 -14 W mostly on the legs of Marion Butts, who amassed 207 on the ground.

As for TBK's 3rd game, I'm pretty sure he played Stu in a similar win and you're in, lose and you're out game and it was PHX Pit once again. This time, the Steelers got a late stop with a 14-13 lead but Lonnie Young got a JJ pick to give new life to the Johnny Johnson cause, but the Steelers held firm to get the stop and win. 

On to the bracket.

I played a guy named Mike? I think. He also lost his 1st then won 2 straight. He won the toss and chose INdy NE. He was a NE native, hates Marc Wilson, and was a very cool dude. I was able to cruise to a 33-3 W.

Next game up is Invader, who got a bye based on his 3-0 record. I won the toss and had to do some major thinking about matchup. Eventually settled on Min Was just cuz they're so damned even. In retrospect, I would prob have gone Det MIA as I feel more confident playing with both those teams than with MIN WAS. We battled a tight one. He scored a FG to go up 3 in the 4th quarter, and I fumbled the ensuing kickoff. I couldn't hold him to 3 points as he ran it right in. My desperation heaves were fruitless. 24-14 and my day is done.

There was more bloodshed. Grip but a hurting on Manyo and one by one guys were falling like flies. Manyo lost to Grip. Stu lost to Stanley. Both of those were surprising blowouts. Ted's game vs Stanley was definitely the game of the day.

Grip got Ted and then got to rematch vs Vader, as the Final Four was double elimination ( I didn't hear this until right as I lost to Vader) The last game was a great OT match. Kyle was on point all day and he benefited from some tecmo fortune vs me and grip and mayhap others (there's plenty of talent in the NW, a little fortune never hurts on your way to a tourney title, I'm no stranger to that (QB BILLS TO THURMAN FTW!!!!)

Overall a really great tourney put on. Love that these are becoming more and more established. Thanks to Ted, Andy, Manyo and everyone else that had a hand in making this a great tourney.

Nobody was playing any better than Kyle and he definitely deserved it on this day. Congrats "Lord" Vader. See you all in a couple months.

Final Thoughts.

TB KING IS a blast. We got our PHX Dal game in and Johnny did NOT show up for it. As I mentioned before we got a lot of talent here, and these LIVE TOurneys are a TON of fun! Great Great Job on the tournament Ted and Andy and folks. Look forward to more. Can't wait.

gripsmoke's tourney recap

Note: Sorry about some of the image quality. Just use the blurry pictures as a gauge of the collective drunkenness of everyone.

11:55 AM - Game 1 [KAMPHUNA]

First game is against Kamp, whom I've lost two very close games in previous tourneys. I call the best matchup in Tecmo, Indy/NE, and he takes the Pats. I won a fumble early, and he got one chance at a half ending JJ and succeeded. I had one more possession in the second half and kicked a FG to win it.

2014-04-12%2011.55.19.jpg

12:50 PM - Game 2 [sIR TED]

Next game is fellow HSTL AFC West rival Ted. I call Falcons/Rams matchup, he takes Rams. Deion Sanders was a lurker and intercepted one of Everett's passes, and Ted did not go for the Everett/Ellard/Flipper connection enough. I almost had a half ending KR TD, but was stopped at about the 20. The turnover differential ended up being key as I think I had the ball following a failed onside kick and ran out the clock.

2014-04-12%2012.50.55.jpg

1:02 PM - Game 3 [TYLER P.]

I played this one against 2-0 Tyler P, whom I had no prior experience with before. Not sure what his strengths/weaknesses are, I pick the matchup and go Chiefs/Bengals. He takes the Bengals, I take the Chiefs and plan on winning with blocked XPs or FGs. (4th man down was allowed in all instances, because this was a civilized tournament of civilized men). My game plan was basically to blitz with DT/Snow and to avoid Fulcher at all costs. Okoye went into excellent in the third quarter, and Steve DeBerg never threw an incomplete pass. Matchbox 20 was left open a couple times by a blitzing Fulcher so he got a couple TDs for the chiefs.

2014-04-12%2014.02.47.jpg

HALFTIME

Knowing that, at 3-0, I'll have a bye and a while to wait, I get food and do some hanging out with the people there. Glad not to be the only smoker this time, so I had some people to talk to during those timeouts. Highlight was when this woman parked her car in front of the bar. Apparently she runs a business that sells barf bags.

2014-04-12%2014.55.31.jpg

4:15 PM Playoffs: Round 2 [MANYO]

Manyo won his playoff game in dominating fashion and I was a little bit nervous going in. He picked Packers/Saints as the matchup, and I could not resist playing as Bob Nelson in a playoff game. The Tim Harris/Bob Nelson crew proved to be too much for Fourcade and co., and Majkowski was finding open WRs all day. (Manyo admitted later he was calling run on defense too much). I scored on every possession and even got a safety at some point. Everything was clicking for me in this game. Was really happy to win this one, because this put me into the double elimination portion.

2014-04-12%2016.15.54.jpg

4:50PM? Playoffs: Round 3 [sTAN]

This one was against another player I had no experience against, and it sounded like he had never played in a tournament before. Someone else claimed that he was just taught how to play Tecmo this morning, but I call bullshit because he knew was too many fine details of players and play patterns to have just learned. Regardless, he was a good player. In this game he picked the Battle of the Bays, Tampa vs GB. This time I went with Tampa. Although Haddix didn't get any interceptions, I won a very close game. A Reggie Cobb (HSTL Holler) KR TD helped a bit. 

Playoffs: Round 4 [VADER]

He calls Cowboys/Cardinals. And with Tailback King in my ear (everyone's ear, really), I decide to force him to root against me, so I take the Cowboys. Mistake! For the first time, I make really dumb mistakes in the game and Vader capitalizes. I throw an interception on my first drive despite having 3 open WRs. At the end of the half it's 14-7 his lead, and he gets the ball to start the second half. I can't force a stop, and by the time I get the ball back I have to try to score fast, but it ends up being another interception. This victory sends Vader to the finals to await the winner of me vs ted.

2014-04-12%2017.23.20.jpg

6:02 PM Playoffs (Loser-Playoffs Final) [sIRTED]

After my loss vs Vader, all that's left is this game and the Finals. Wanting to give everyone an entertaining show, I pick a Houston/Buffalo matchup to show off some firepower. Ted picks the Bills, but QB Bills ends up having a really shitty game for him, while my first pass play was a called play + CC to Drew Hill. I basically exploit that all game, and include some runs with Lorenzo White (and not going OOB). The picks killed Ted in this one.

2014-04-12%2018.02.53.jpg

6:43 PM FINALS [Vader]

Since it's double elim, I need to win both games to take the crown, while Vader only needs to win once. I suggest he should throw the first game to add extra drama to the second game, but for some reason he declines. We grab a smoke before the match to get our nerves right. He wins the toss and selects Buccs/Rams. Recalling he burned my with Timm Rosenbach in our previous game, I don't want to let him have Vinny for a game, so I take Tampa.

Hopefully the stream is saved somewhere that Manyo or Ted could post, I don't remember many details of this, but it was a pretty awesome game. I have to kick a game tying 4th quarter ending FG, but Ted gets the ball to start OT. He drives to about the 30 and kicks the FG to win, straight through.

2014-04-12%2018.43.09.jpg

Awesome tournament as it was the year before. It was cool to actually win moneys this time, and it's fun seeing everyone again. 

ggs glrw

Edit: Fun Fact, the most points I allowed in a game was against Kamphuna and the New England Patriots!

thanks a lot Ted for this tourney, and of course BIG ups to The Walrus, running around with that notebook figuring shit out, dude was MONEY!  Every great tourney needs someone like that, Madison had a squad of them.

I got like 8 hours of video from that one TV, and someday, probably not soon though, I'll chop them up and post them.... if anybody else wants to do it, let me know, I'll get it to you somehow.  Same goes for the Randalous tourney the night before, I got like 3 hours of that, can't wait to watch those actually, definitely worth my money.

as always, was fun, there just aint no way I'm ever taking these things so seriously as to stay remotely sober, and I like the fact that most everyone I saw at the tourney saturday thought close to the same!  Was also great to see a lot of the same faces from last year as well.

PNWTC3 coming last Saturday in June in Centralia, stay TUNED!

All I know through my hazy recollection is that these are a BLAST.  Manyo gets much props for hookin' me up with the siccest T-shirt in the history of T-shirts....The 'hidden stats' Johnny Johnson shirt, which I tucked under my belt strap and let it hang like a bandana so eveyone could see it.......  There is A LOT of talented players...even some I never seen before...and Goal Line found that out the hard way his first game...............

........as for my game 1 vs Ted who picct the Steelers, he got me.  That's really all I can say.  It was a good game, but he was prepared.  Johnson did get to the Century mark, but the play that turned the table and crushed my momentum was when Johnson broke one right up the gut on the last play of the half for a MAGNIFICENT run of over 50 yrds and got caught at the one yard line..................F%#!...................I'm still pi$$ed about that.  Ted wins 14 to 7

Game 2 was a lot eazyer vs ???  I don't remember who he was but he could play Defense!!!  He must have guessed my play 14 times that game, and I wasn't just picking runs with J.J. either.....although people couldn't believe I would use the Cards vs the Eagles, I still got my win..............I stick to my guns, and I ended up beating him with a bomb up top to Johnny in OT.

Game 3 {CLASSIC} PHX vs PITT (Boogie With Stu)

This was a great game even though I lost by 1.....I will say that Stu is the Dennis Rodman of tecmo tourneys.  He may not be the most polished offensive threat, but when it comes to shutting down offenses, he's one of the most calculated dangerous players I ever had to face...........................although in the 3rd quarter on second and one, I accidentally double fingered the controller (yes I was inhibited) and picked field goal from my own 25 yrd line, which cost me a possession.  I'm not making excuses, but at 1 and 1, and with the playoffs on the line, that was the WORST thing I'v ever done fu** up wise at a Tourney.  It basically cost me a playoff spot.  I really hope Manyo has this game recorded, because I would LOVE to see it.

All & all, I come away from this Tourney thinking only one thing...........We need more West Coast Tourneys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This $#!t is too fun for only once a year...............

..............and yes Kamp, we may have had a rematch, but my reaction time was at a 1.7 blood alchohal level by then, and I couldn't have put up a fight vs Dallas even if I wanted to.  We will battle again amigo!!!!!

..............Gripsmoke was knocc!n um' bacc and knocc!n out opponents...I really thought he was gonna take this whole thing, but Vader came outta the dark and snatched it.

(Manyo, If your throwin' a Tourney in May, make a thread for it and post the info NOW!!!) 

Edited by ~Tailback King~

Have the games been uploaded to youtube yet so that twitch will not delete them?

hahaa! MAN! I forgot I had recorded to twitch, so the answer is NO.... those vids are gone, like away they go!

but actually I have the entire video file on my computer still..... I'll put some work in toward editing them down this weekend.... grip, I think I'll handle it after all, shouldn't be much work actually.

Edited by manYo

my reaction time was at a 1.7 blood alchohal level by then

I realize this is a joke and an exaggeration, but it just made me think. A blood alcohol level of 1.7 would be enough to kill a horse much less a human being. A BA level of 0.3 would be high enough to threaten the life of a casual drinker. However, I have dealt with patients that are walking around and talking to me with a BA level of 0.35 - 0.45 due to their extreme tolerance that they've developed. Anyone else would be at least comatose if not dead.

I realize this is a joke and an exaggeration, but it just made me think. A blood alcohol level of 1.7 would be enough to kill a horse much less a human being. A BA level of 0.3 would be high enough to threaten the life of a casual drinker. However, I have dealt with patients that are walking around and talking to me with a BA level of 0.35 - 0.45 due to their extreme tolerance that they've developed. Anyone else would be at least comatose if not dead.

Hidden stats man. COME ON! TBK's liver has HIDDEN STATS!