Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball Editing/Hacking Tips and 1996 Hack info

MvG Sports

Follow-up to my post last month -- I figured out both glitches with the KGB Editor.

1) Blonde hair/batting gloves glitch

The blonde hair (50-57) is the culprit for the weird orange gloves glitch. I just avoided using it altogether. The editor actually incorrectly lists the hair colors, too. So 0 is blonde, 1 is red, 2 is dirty blonde/light brown, 3 is dark brown (not bald as the editor incorrectly indicates) and 4 is black. Do not use the bottom hair color 5, as this color if used, is what causes the odd orange batting gloves glitch.

2) Player physiques

Okay, so this glitch I was not able to fix, but I at least figured it out and there are ways to work around it. I noticed each team will use different physiques in specific lineup slots depending on which one you select in the editor. So some teams will for example only let you use the ripped physique in lineup slot #s 1, 3, 6, 9, 10. But then another team may let you use slot #s 4, 5, 8, 12, 13 and 14 for the ripped physique. It is an odd glitch, but you can work around it if you experiment and move guys around the in the lineup slot postions. I wanted my all-time rosters to look like their real-life counterparts as much as possible.

All-Time Rosters

I finally finished my All-Time rosters edition. I also made a '98 expansion era version which replaced the Astros with the Tampa Bay Rays and the Rangers are replaced with the Arizona Diamondbacks. Both teams still have the Astros and Ranger graphics and logos, but I wanted to use teams from the original game that had similar uni colors/designs. And yes, I realize TB is in the NL and ARI is in the AL now lol But this was the best way to get jerseys and team colors that were more accurate. If you play exhibition games it won't be an issue really since you can enable/disable the DH rule.

KGJB Updated uniforms

I'd like to start dabbling with updating team logos and uniform colors/designs in this game, but am not sure where to start. Does anybody have any ideas or pointers or tips as to which tools are the best to use for such an idea? I know it can be done since I have seen some KGJ hacks floating around where Houston has their '00-'11 black and maroon pinstripe unis, the Reds are sporting black, the Expos are the Nats, the Angels are red and white, the Rox have road pinstripes, the Rangers have blue helmets and the Jays are sporting their '02-'11 black and powder unis. I would love to update teams' unis so they would be more accurate to 2019.

Anybody have any ideas or feedback or info on what tools can be used to do such a thing? 

Anyways, I plan on uploading my KGB All-Time rosters hack on here as soon as I am done fine-tuning the rosters. Just have a few little things to tinker with and then I am done! I will go into greater detail about the rosters, how and why specific players were chosen, how they were rated and what stats are used in the game when I upload the ROM on here. 

Edited by Darth Brett

On 3/20/2019 at 11:46 AM, VirginiaBrave said:

I cannot even get editor to run on my Win10 machine.  Is there an update?

Thanks

I don't have Windows 10, but I had to download a specific registry file to get Windows 8 to properly run the editor on my computer. I found this out on an older thread in these forums. Do a google search (or maybe search on here) for Griffey Jr SNES Rom editor and the thread will pop up. Not sure this will fix your problem, but it did get the editor to work for me running Windows 8. Unfortunately, the editor is ancient and was designed to run on Windows '95 or '98 lol 

I am not tech or hex savvy at all to be able to build a new version or a new editor, but would love to see one get released. The old editor also has some bad glitches and issues that would be great to see corrected in a new version or new tool: the hair color gloves glitch, the ERA glitch where you can't input a 5.12 or higher ERA, the inability to change pitcher appearances, the somewhat limited physique assigments and the inability to edit pitcher hitting abilities or the 10 CON, 10 POW and 10 DEF rating glitches (which you can get around, but are just a little annoying to deal with while editing roster stats).

Edited by Darth Brett

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was having issues with getting the "Muscular Forearm" batting stance as well and couldn't figure out why I couldn't apply it consistently.  It's interesting that you found only certain slots in the lineup worked.

I was wondering if it's possible to control some of the other behaviors in the game such as when a player blows bubbles with their gum or does the practice swing.  Other thing would be the player reaction after a strikeout.  Is this related to batting slot, batting stance or some combination?

P.S.  I'm guessing Muscular Forearm = "Ripped Physique" batting stance.  I wanted to replicate the Kevin Maas batting stance/plate behavior off original Ken Griffey Baseball (NY Yankees guy that had 3 bat, 10 power) as I think it's good config for a lot of power hitters in baseball if you adjust hair/skin color.  Also, love that kickass practice swing wish you could configure that too.

Yeah, it's bizarre and even more odd that it's different with every team, too. As for the chewing, blowing bubbles, practice swing and bat grip animations, I am 99.9% sure it is just associated with the batting stances. I am not 100% sure, but think the strike out animations are connected to which batting stance/legs you use. I may do a test to prove if this is accurate or not. 

• 11 months later...

Thanks to whoever made the editor. Here's a few things to point out that the help file doesn't tell you. Aside from face controlling skin tone and body controlling hair color, the faces are set up in groups of 8. They go as follows

1 Short hair no facial hair

2 short hair + mustache

3 short hair + beard

4 short hair + goatee

5 medium hair no facial hair

6 med hair + mustache

7 med hair + beard

8 long hair no facial hair

This just keeps repeating every 8 faces, and every 8 faces is a skin tone darker. The new rows after the eighth face start over at 0 instead of 8. 0-7 10-17 20-27 etc. If you plug in a face with an 8 or 9 it'll crash the game. 

More importantly, the field only has white guys with blonde hair and black guys with black hair. There's no in between. The first 6 rows of faces will show up white on the field and the last 6 rows will show up black. 

The pitcher, while on the mound in the batting screen, will have his skin tone true to whichever you pick. However, the pitcher's hair is not controlled by any value I can find in the editor, and just stays the same as the original player that you edited over. 

On 4/8/2020 at 12:59 PM, Ian Jones said:

The pitcher, while on the mound in the batting screen, will have his skin tone true to whichever you pick. However, the pitcher's hair is not controlled by any value I can find in the editor, and just stays the same as the original player that you edited over. 

The pitcher hair/beard/glasses/ can be changed using a hex editor (I use HXD).  I forget the exact locations, but each player has a value from 00-43 that controls this.  I'll post the locations later.  You can check out my Ken Griffey 2019 in the Downloads to see this in action.

14 hours ago, Baron von Lector said:

The pitcher hair/beard/glasses/ can be changed using a hex editor (I use HXD).  I forget the exact locations, but each player has a value from 00-43 that controls this.  I'll post the locations later.  You can check out my Ken Griffey 2019 in the Downloads to see this in action.

ok so you guys are messing with this in hex, then I have a couple questions that you guys might have figured out already.

I've seen a couple people say that they thought legs or body affected HRs. At first I chalked it up to superstition, but I'm realizing there is def something affecting it that I'm not accounting for. Not sure if there's something tied to the way they look, or if it has to do with the parity between batting and power, with power<batting offering less HRs and power>batting offering more. Any factual insight into that?

I didn't do any extensive testing but did a small amount, and I'm leaning towards the possibility that batting and power correlate with the pitching speed and control ratings, with power being how well they hit fast pitches (anything with the down button used) and batting being how well they hit slower pitches. Being that the CPU pitchers throw mostly fast pitches, this may explain why a batter with 4B/8P will have a much higher average than a batter with 8B/4P. Anything to help out with that?

• 3 years later...
  • 9 months later...

how are the uniforms changed? what program is used? I opened one of the roms in a tile layer program and it's just a jumbled mess. I would like to get rid of the white sox black jerseys and replace with white and black pinstripes.