Des Moines, IA - 05/17/2014 - 2nd Annual Tourney

hawkeye98

I am going to get the meat tonight and get the smoker out and get some pork ready to go for the tourney like i did last year... ill try to post pics of it for you so you can get your mouths watering!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry guys but I'm gonna have to drop out.  We've got family functions to go to and my wife would probably murder me if I ditched out on them for Tecmo.  Maybe next year.

THE PREVIEW

The 2014 Super Iowa TecmoII tourney is looking like another slug fest this year. We will be losing some faces but gaining some others that will definatly add to the competition this year. It looks like there several faces that could make some noise this year. Make no mistake about it everyone is going to be gunning for that crown and I don’t discount anyone from making a run very far this year!

The Loss: We are losing some faces that came last year but gaining some as well. Gone Is Travis (Moulds) who fought his way up the losers bracket after a first roud loss to claim a close 4th place finish. Very easily could have been a lot higher than that. Also Gone is Pete B the brother of 8bit who came in and claimed a 3rd place finish after some great tecmo play. We are also losing Craig P and Steve who both were around the 7th place finish a year ago.

The Gains:          But where talent is lost there are some guys coming for the first time this year that could make this years field better than ever.  Coming this year is Justin E who make some big noise at harlan a couple years back and has been doing very well at live events ever since. Also new this year to Super Iowa 2 is Luke (Art Vandeley) who immediately shoots up to one of the favorites of this competition with his name entered into the mix. Luke has been near the top of most of the midwest tourneys and will bring a strong showing for sure. Will his layoff from online tecmo make a difference?? My guess is not a chance he has been playing for years and he will bring it for sure.

The Field: Despite the losses we are returning 6 of the top 10 finishers from a year ago. Of course Jeremy (Hawkeye) and Tony J (Dotdon) will be there to battle it out. Tom B (8bit) will be there to challenge for sure the top spot. Kris K is back to make some noise after a nice showing last year. Justin, Pat, Iram, kevin and Jerry are also back and looking to improve on their top 10-12 finishes from a year ago. Cory S is also very much improved from a year ago and is looking to make some noise. From top to bottom I think this field will be very competitive.  

Top Contendors: There are a number of names that will be in top contention to take the championship this Year. Jeremy, Justin Luke, Tom, Kris, Justin E, Kevin D and Tony are the looking like the front runners to take the crown. Chances that one of those 5 names ends up the champ is high. Here they are in no particular order…

1. Jeremy- is looking at doing just what he did last year, play lights out tecmo and win the championship. He is not going to be one to just give it to you that is for sure. Jeremy has been playing a lot online and has been active at several live events over the year with mixed results. His most recent being a second place finish at Harlan Iowa Live tourney Can he put it all together and come away 2 time champ? Can he keep his unbeaten streak alive at Super Iowa Tecmo? Who can beat this man????
  2. Luke- Luke comes to this tourney after rightfully going to the midwest tourney in Ohio last year. Luke has already proven many a time that he can beat anyone that is put in front of him. Luke has multiple live tourney victories including the harlan championship earlier this year. Can Luke put it together and take the title of another Iowa tourney? From what I know Art hasn’t been playing online for a couple months but might have been playing on live councel so could rust play a factor in his game??
  3. Tony- Tony comes back after taking second place last year with his only losses agsinst Jeremy. Nothing but a very deep run in this tourney is expected from Tony who made the round of 64 at madison this year before running into one of the top tecmo players in the world in daboy. Tony hasn’t been to a lot of live tourneys recently but look for him to be in his regular form and make a deep run.
  4. Justin- Justin comes in after finishing a dissapointing  10-12th last year. Since super Iowa 1 he has been improving and making some headwaves with some live and online play. Justin was able to get a championship at a really small tourney in nebraska and had a couple good games at waterloo iowa live tourney. Recently finishing 3rd at tecmo harlan live tourney justin is probaly the 2nd fastest tapper at the tournament after 8bit. I might add that Justin is 4-2 against Jeremy in live tourneys… Nothing but the championship will satisfy for him and look for him to come out hungary.
  5. Tom- Tom comes back to super iowa this year after finishing in the 5-6 place last year after being taken out by his brother. Tom dominated a stacked field at waterloo this year finishing in the top 4 and also made the round of 64 at madison before getting knocked off. Tom is the fastest tapper at this tournament and look for him to bring it each and every game and I am sure his goal is to move up a lot further from his finish last year.
  6. Kris K- Kris had a great tourney last year he knocked off moulds before moulds got revenge later in the losers bracket.  Kris also had a good run in Waterloo this past year pushing Chris Vogt to all he could handle in an elimination game. Kris is looking at making another run and some major noise this year and is a definate threat to go all the way.
  7. Kevin D- Kevin had a great run in pool play last year going undefeated but got tripped up in the bracket last year but I look for him to put it together and come ready to win and take it a long step further than last year. Kevin has been active in waterloo and nebraska tourneys also so look for him to come in ready to make some noise.
  8. Justin E- Justin comes in on a hot streak from waterloo and from madison this last march. He has been making noise all his tecmo career and I expect no less this Saturday. Losing in the round of 32 to a close game to a tecmo elite player matt otoole there is no doubt that Justin is in definate talks of a person who could run the table this year. Look for his name to be mentioned early and often in the winners column of his games.

Final Words: Sorry if I missed anyone in the write up… and I am sure there are names that will jump in there and make noise. Noonan, Iram, Pat and im sure others will do very well. I am far from a tecmo  expert and I havent been to a lot of live tourneys so I am underqualified to write this… Looking forward seeing everyone there!

Edited by justinpeters51

Here is the before smoke picture.... to see the after you have to come and have some at the tourney!

Good write up and the food looks great.  Looking forward to seeing some familiar faces and playing some Tecmo. 

As for feedback, I will say two things:  (1) Don't give me the 49ers, and (2) I don't see how anyone beats me this year.*  

* #2 is not a true statement.

I'm just wondering if I'll regain the annoying drunk championship carrying over from the Waterloo tourney. 

You'll forever hold that title in Waterloo.  Just make sure there aren't any Mike Tomczak scepters around for you to play with.

be down at 6ish... bringing hot dogs... should we grill them tonight? .... is a single elim practice tourney with side games tonight possible

pencil me in :)

Sounds good! Jer and pat will be there around 6-630 and I will be there hopefully around 730. Iram will be there also.

I will plan on eating some dogs! Ill bring buns!

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

How did it go down in Iowa.  At my graduation i finished around the top 20 for drinking in my class. My classmates beat me by bringing flasks to the ceremony and drinking for 20 straight hours prior.  I am still very drunk.

Hey here is the bracket finals! And I updated the pool play document i pasted earlier on this thread with all the pool play results.

Here are your placers:

1. Iram

2. Luke

3. Justinpeters51

4. Tony J

5. Tom B, Jeremy

7. Jake D, Travis

http://challonge.com/superiowa2

I plan on a full recap and listing all the teams for the brackets!

Iram was KC against Lukes Giants and Iram played a solid game to take home the championship!

Fun tourney.  18 guys total, 3 groups of 6 for pool play.  I liked having 2 TVs per group with extras.  Made the group play go fast even though everyone played 5.

GRoup Play:

First game vs. Jerry:  Broncos v. Chargers.  Jerry picks Chargers.  Broncos turn it over 3 times in the red zone (theme of the day) and Chargers O is on point.  Rust shows and I get destroyed 24-0.

Second game:  vs. Iram.  Bills v. 49ers.  I'm SF.  Iram plays great red zone D and I am up 16-14 when I hold him to a 4 and out with about 1 min left.  He uses all his TO's, and I have a 4th and 14 from the 20 with about 40 sec. left.  Don't want to give him a JJ, so I try to run a pass, run backwards, and run out the clock.  Don't go far enough back, leave 1 sec after the incomplete pass, and, you guessed, it, JJ to Andre Reed's hotsauce.  Lose 21-16.

Third game:  Justin E.  Phx-Pit.  I get Phx and grind out a 24-3 win (I think that was the final).

Fourth game:  Justin P.  NYJ-Dal.  Justin has me down 14-10 with about 1:30 left.  I force a punt and get 1 heave from about the 30 yard line.  Pass 4 to Novacek, JJ TD.  I win 17-14.

Fifth game:  Kramer.  Think it was TB-Wash??  Great game, I score with about 1 minute left to send it to OT, win the toss, and kick the game winner, 17-14.

Group record was 3-2, but could have been 4-1 or 1-4 pretty easily.  I thought our group was tough, and I was right, as our group got 1st-3rd-4th

TOURNEY:

Rd. 16:  Play Jake.  I call Pit-NYJ, he takes Pitt.  Grind out a 17-3 win.

Rd. 8:  Play Pat S.   I call Dal-Phx.  He takes Phx.  I'm up 24-10 with a few min. left.  He scores, then kicks deep.  Stops me, but I thought I ran out enough time to punt.  However, 2 seconds are left.  I flashback to group play, but survive the heave to advance 24-17.

Rd. 4:  Justin P.  He calls KC-Cin.  Although I know he's a good tapper, I give him Okoye anyway.  He gets up 7-0, then James Brooks fumbles.  He scores, 14-0.  Then accidentially onsides kicks, gets it, scores again, 21-0.  I score 21-7, but Okoye's in excellent and Fulcher is mowed down by all down low runs in the 2nd half.  I get the Tecmo beating of my life, 35-7.

Losers Bracket:

Jeremy:  Picks Chargers-Denver, I pick Chargers, and grind out a 13-7 victory, surviving, yet again, a JJ attempt.  Gil Byrd steps up big time that game.

vs. Luke (for chance at the final 3):  Luke picks Cin-LARams.  I pick Cincinnati.  I take kickoff, drive down to 10, fumble with Brooks.  Luke scores, 7-0.  I drive down to the 20, fumble with Ickey Woods.  Luke scores, 14-0.  I drive down, throw pick in end zone.  Halftime.  I kickoff, finally get a fumble recovery, and score to make it 14-7.  Luke kicks a FG, I score a TD, and I stop him and get the ball with 2 seconds left.  He picks my play, though, and time expires before I get a JJ off.  3 red zone turnovers again.  Can't give a great player like Luke 3 TO's.  You'll never win.

Fun day, lots of games played, and great food.  Thanks Justin and Jeremy.

Is Iram friends with James and Excell from KC?

I think it's Ira M. if I'm not mistaken, and yes he rolls with those guys.  Pretty sure I played him last year in DesMoines and he's played in Lincoln before if it's the guy I'm thinking of.