Madison, WI - 03/08/14 - Tecmo X: The Gannonball Run

sonofpatbeach

shit, just booked at the magnuson this morning

Bummer. I stayed on the East side last year and it was just far enough to be kind of a PITA. Too far for a quick pit stop between games.  I'm thinking Sheraton so after I get bounced early I can go collect myself, then return to cheer on my boys!

Bummer. I stayed on the East side last year and it was just far enough to be kind of a PITA. Too far for a quick pit stop between games.  I'm thinking Sheraton so after I get bounced early I can go collect myself, then return to cheer on my boys!

roger that, we can cancel that reservation free anyway, so prob Sheraton for me and kamp as well

I made an addendum to the primary post above regarding hotels. See the primary post for details on the room block at the Sheraton. Our advice this year is to book early (at Sheraton or elsewhere), as there are a few other big events in town that weekend.

What time does this tournament wrap up?

This just might be me, but I can't STAND when people ask this, like they got somthin' better to do on Tournament day.............Why even go if thats the case........If you don't got one whole day in a year that you can't dedicate to Tecmobowl, then you're not good enough for tourney play anyway.....or you're just whipped.  There both equally pathetic if you ask me.

This just might be me, but I can't STAND when people ask this, like they got somthin' better to do on Tournament day.............Why even go if thats the case........If you don't got one whole day in a year that you can't dedicate to Tecmobowl, then you're not good enough for tourney play anyway.....or you're just whipped.  There both equally pathetic if you ask me.

What if you drove in from 4-6 hours away?  The answer then determines what happen next.  Do you get a hotel...drive back?

Try to remember there are other people that visit this site who aren't you on some of this stuff before you go blasting away.

Burt, Dom and Johnny

>http://youtu.be/FiC2Y25rC1k

Thank you!  This and Norm McDonald chomping gum saying "He might make a movie with Dom Deluise is what came to mind with this title

I'm working on going to Madison this year!! Need to check with work, working on that hard right now.  But hoping to take me and Dukie and my wife because I'm so whipped like that :)! I've never been to the midwest other than "Misery," but I'm assuming its going to be freezing there in March? and Cabs to and from the hotels are easy to do, or should I expect to need to rent a car?

And most importantly where are the stoners staying???? and who can i Paypal $$$ to to have a zip waiting for me when I arrive?? Dont want to have to fly with my girl Mary, and not in the mood to mail it to myself...but I will if I have too :)

I'm working on going to Madison this year!! Need to check with work, working on that hard right now.  But hoping to take me and Dukie and my wife because I'm so whipped like that :)! I've never been to the midwest other than "Misery," but I'm assuming its going to be freezing there in March? and Cabs to and from the hotels are easy to do, or should I expect to need to rent a car?

Weather in Madison in March is quite variable. March 8, 2013, for instance, was very nice (for us): average temperature of 22 degrees and no precipitation. However, the temperature could easily drop towards 0 degrees, and two of our tournaments have coincided with March snowstorms, so I would prepare for the worst. Dress warm, and give yourself some buffer on your travel time.

In terms of getting around, cabs in Madison are reasonably-priced and easy to snag at the airport, but otherwise are challenging to wave down, and often require a phone call ahead of time. A cab from the airport to the Sheraton (or to the tournament site) would likely land around $30-35, plus tip. If you plan on enjoying Madison's nightlife on Fri/Sat nights, which we recommend, a cab from the tournament site to the downtown area would land around $10-15, plus tip.

Carpooling with other Tecmo'ers is also a great option, as is a rental car if you plan on staying sober enough to drive.

Edited by sonofpatbeach

The NYC monthly Tecmo meetup is this coming Wednesday (Jan 8 ), and I'm certain TecmoX attendance will be the hot topic. Hopefully a few of us can get some firm commits that night and there will be some registration spots still open by then (didn't it sell out in, like, 12 hours last year?). When I moved out here I vowed to make it back for this every year and I intend to keep my word.

Edited by hoigaard

Flight BOOKED! Manyo has too! PNW Represent!

Also, an idea came up where all us online folk should wear some kind of online ID, like Dom Deluise Berets with our tecmo handle on them or something of that nature. #camaraderie

I REALLY hope you two handle business down there and show all these fools that The NW Tecmo Faction IS, and alwayz will be the best players in the world.............(no pressure... Ha hA Ha)..............I will make this Tournement in the next few years, and ya'll can bet on it.   I got a sabatical from Nike in like 2 and a half.  It's just too bad that the biggest Tecmo Tourney in the world just happens to be be in a city where all there is to do is eat cheese, or watch one of their two $#!tty football teams.....yes I'm talkin' bout the Packers and the Badgers.

(p.s.   GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Edited by ~Tailback King~

Less than 12 hours after opening up registration, our 100th participant registered: Jim B (Air Bontempo).

A few notable players registered thus far: 

• Tecmo III champion Peter K (moonwalk), and two-time former champion Jim B (Air Bontempo), look to make a triumphant return after a one-year hiatus
  • Online legend Bruddog looks to make his Madison debut
  • Former Nebraska and Tomczak Bowl champion Luke C looks to crack the Final 4 in his second Madison tourney
  • 5 of the tournament's 7 prior champions have registered (Josh, Chet, Jim B, Peter K, Mort). Only Kevin M (buzzsaw) and Sobhi (bestinworld) remain off the list.
Edited by sonofpatbeach

Have a quick question. I'm looking to play in the tournament this year...first time. What's the rule for "lurching" on extra points and field goal tries? Can you just take someone (ie. LT) up the middle and dive...or do you have to popcorn? I saw luruching doesn't apply to LB's. Sorry if it was posted somewhere, I didn't see. Just wanted to confirm.

Looking forward to the theme of the tourney. Vikings fan and also a Cannonball Run fan. Almost entire movie was filmed here in Georgia where I live. :)

Thanks,

Greg