Madison, WI - 03/08/14 - Tecmo X: The Gannonball Run

sonofpatbeach

Really the only instance where I think you should help your opponent during the game is if he accidentally hits FG on his side of the field when he meant to punt. Obvious mistake and easily correctable.

Viking Moe, no you tell him after the game.  You were fine.  I had a guy last year who called SF-NYG, then didn't change his flea flicker NYG playbook.  He said he was ready, I asked are you sure, and then went about my bidness.   

Reg, I saw when you did that and couldn't believe it.  I would not be as good of a man as you, especially in bracket play (this was Rd. of 32 I think??  Anyways, I would have said, oh man bad break while I called a run play.  I guess that is why the tecmo gods strike me down

Really the only instance where I think you should help your opponent during the game is if he accidentally hits FG on his side of the field when he meant to punt. Obvious mistake and easily correctable.

Did you really punt the ball right back to someone during the tournament?  I meant to ask you that and forgot about it.  And I don't remember reading anything about it on here anywhere.

O'Dell - We had the weirdest, most awkward hand shake/five/hug thing I've ever been a part of.  And that's saying something considering my history with half the people in this tournament.  Nonetheless, or perhaps as a result, it was a pleasure to have a beer with you again.. 

You totes caught me off guard, as I was in deep medication, in preparation for the single elimination portion to begin.  I owe you a much better one next time around brosef.  Thanks again for the #eatshitorenga wristband.  I had planned on not removing it for the rest of the year.  However, the wife chimed in about the lack of manliness of it, and I figured it would be best to just keep it in tip top shape for 2015 anyway.

When is the Ryder Cup, and what town?  Slim shot, but might as well put it in my head, the sooner the better!

Something I missed in my recap, in terms of my thoughts about the tourney:  Again wicked awesome!!

I do however, have one small constructive criticism, that someone (maybe Diaz) brought up...

The Live Stream.  With over 200 people watching live, and definitely a larger number of competitors catching it later on, it would be nice to maximize the stream as much as possible, to get great games on there.

As large as the tournament is, there seems to be enough systems to go around to keep one open, as a non-group play/stream only station.  I know time constraints are a factor, but if we shook up the way group-play scheduling, I'm sure we could get it where there is a game that stands out, that would be most ideal to get on the stream.  We did it that way at the Kumite II, and it worked out really well, except the time that Mort forgot to hit record! :(

In terms of the amount of work, and man-power it would take to get the best games' on there - I can't imagine it being too much a problem to hire a couple of guys as consultants to help manage the stream schedule.  I certainly would volunteer for it!

Again great job Madison crew!  Can't wait until next time!

Edited by brodell

The Live Stream.  With over 200 people watching live, and definitely a larger number of competitors catching it later on, it would be nice to maximize the stream as much as possible, to get great games on there.

As large as the tournament is, there seems to be enough systems to go around to keep one open, as a non-group play/stream only station.  I know time constraints are a factor, but if we shook up the way group-play scheduling, I'm sure we could get it where there is a game that stands out, that would be most ideal to get on the stream.  We did it that way at the Kumite II, and it worked out really well, except the time that Mort forgot to hit record! :(

In terms of the amount of work, and man-power it would take to get the best games' on there - I can't imagine it being too much a problem to hire a couple of guys as consultants to help manage the stream schedule.  I certainly would volunteer for it!

It is purely logistics. You would have to designate games to be played away from their group and direct those players as to where it is played. In addition, each group plays at a different pace and then each matchup plays at a different pace. The is no perfect fluidity to get one game in and out. If there was backlog at the stream station, it would become an absolute nightmare for all the other groups.

All the ideas were tossed up in the air and the resolution was to keep it as is. We got to pick a few guys to get near our station and we choose Bruddog & Mort.

Unfortunately, BBowl's bar-wide internal stream did not like having its signal spilt. That brought us down one group, Group 20, w/ Bruddog at the helm.

To me the urban legend was the chair pulling incident. At least that's what I want to hear more about.

Haha you missed that? I forget who it was, but someone classed me when I was going to sit in a chair to watch Derek and another guy play during group play..... I had a beer in one hand and water in the other and I went to sit down on the chair and this guy that I don't even know pulled the chair out from behind me .... I laughed at first only to figure out it was this guy who I didn't know and that he actually did do it on purpose! I was pretty stunned and actually was a little flustered for a minute but was able to laugh it off and move on..... Soaked my shirt and pants, worst of all wasted half my beer! The guy was pretty drunk I think and did later apologize which was nice

Haha you missed that? I forget who it was, but someone classed me when I was going to sit in a chair to watch Derek and another guy play during group play..... I had a beer in one hand and water in the other and I went to sit down on the chair and this guy that I don't even know pulled the chair out from behind me .... I laughed at first only to figure out it was this guy who I didn't know and that he actually did do it on purpose! I was pretty stunned and actually was a little flustered for a minute but was able to laugh it off and move on..... Soaked my shirt and pants, worst of all wasted half my beer! The guy was pretty drunk I think and did later apologize which was nice

I was chatting with you and rico and heechy about it as it was a pal of theirs. Didn't Matty v get some residuals too? I couldn't believe that shit lol

Maybe it's too late for this story....but the more I think about it, the funnier it is...to us....

Kyle and I didn't have any raucous adventures.  We both worked normal days FRI, and set out for the Econo-Lodge in Janesville around 6pm.  It's the worst time to leave, as you hit Chicago traffic at a crawl around 7pm CST.  We talked matchups.....matchups for unknowns...matchups for Chet....and matchups for big names in our regions.  It took so long to get through Chicago that we stopped to eat 1 oasis earlier than normal.  Usually we hit Belvedere Oasis before Rockford, not sure what this one was named.

We walk in and look around.  Lots of options...Subway, KFC, MCD.....but we both head towards Panda Express.  It took a while, but evenutally, we sat down to eat.  Some minutes and jibber-jabber later, Kyle chuckles and pushes a piece of paper across the table towards me.  I look up at his side of the table, and see a few pieces and crumbs of a fortune cookie.  I picked up the paper and it read, "You will win a prestigious award."  There was a "alalalalaalalala (controller shake)" moment and we laughed.

I went to throw out our trash and The Prophecy was on his plate.  I pocketed it.

The rest is history.

When we got back to the hotel SAT evening, there it was, sitting on the dresser where I had absent-mindedly tossed it the night before.  We had another "alalaalalallalaalalaalala (controller shake)" and placed it in the garbage.

Wow, that is pretty dick.  Thumbs up to you for having the patience not to kick the dude's ass!

A bit late to this party, but I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for making it an awesome weekend!  I think I've had a week-long hangover that I am just recovering from.  One of the things that is so great about Madison is that you have the history and the veterans and you also have guys who are playing there for the first time whose faces light up when they find out that there is a community of grown men who still play this game, and play it religiously.  Congrats to Regulator, who I got to watch quite a bit of since his TV was next to mine (I knew it would take something special to take him down that day). Chet, Josh, Tony, et. al know how to put on a great show and kept stuff running smooth.  The two tournaments I've been to in Madison have both been seamless.  CabinRoom4Life!

To all those who had me advancing to the round of 64 in their previews before the tourney: you should never overestimate my ability to win when it counts!

One of the highlights was playing Leonardite in my group.  We both had Mort-related swag (was this placing intentional???).  He sacked me in the endzone first play of the game for a safety and I was reminded of my beloved Broncos suffering a safety in this year's Super Bowl on the first play.  A bad omen?  Luckily, I kept my cool and rebounded, and eventually forced a safety of my own on a deflected pass in the endzone that went out of bounds. It was definitely a tight contest until the second half.

Another highlight was playing Jeff B in the Winner's bracket final.  I knew he finished 4th overall last year, so I knew I had my work cut out for me.  He called Eagles-Bears and I took Da Bears.  This was arguably one of the fiercest games of Tecmo I ever played in person.  After an early fumble by the QB on the first drive led to a TD to put me in a 7-0 hole, I worked my way back and took a 14-7 halftime lead, thanks to some nifty runs and receptions by Neal Anderson.  I had the 21-14 lead in the 4th quarter when Jeff took QB Eagles to score with about a minute left. I had one last play in regulation and bombed it with Tomczak.  Morris jumped and caught the ball at the 10 yd line, but was tackled by two defenders as time expired.  I won the toss, but for some reason threw 3 straight times and went 3 and out (ironically, this is how I lost in OT in NYC with the Raiders vs... the Eagles).  The Eagles were faced with a 4th down and forced to bring out Roger Ruzek to attempt a FG from the 50 yard line.  Jeff kicked it well and it split the uprights.  Sadly, I never recovered and fell into a hole early in the loser's bracket finals and lost by 3 points.  I'm 4-4 in Madison my two years playing, all losses by 4 points or less.

At least I was free to chat it up with some longtime online guys who I had never met and only read about/played through these forums (I'm glad Bruddog finally made it to one!).  It was also good seeing some of the guys I met in Lincoln and the Midwest and, of course, the guys from the East Coast who made the trek.

I've met some great people throughout the years through these tournaments and wouldn't trade the Tecmo community for almost any other.  Viva Tecmo!

Online%20Garbage.jpg

A picture of the online gang.  I'm the drunk giving the devil horns.  Thanks so much Tecmo Ninja for the RetroLink controller it didn't work at first the B Button was malfunctioning but it works now and it was awesome talking at the hotel.  Thanks for not just leaving me at my friends house when he wasn't there.  Matt Vogt was awesome introducing me to a few people.  Joey Vogt was fun to play against when we were both completely drunk.  It was so much fun next year i'd like to do better.  So many others to thank but i'll keep it reasonably short.

I first thought that the guy knew Kyle. Because I also was standing right there watching Derek's game next to Kyle. The chair was open, no one around and then Kyle steps up in front and notions that he was going to sit down. I think Kyle got a little distracted by the game and stood there for a bit watching. Then another guy from the right, don't know his name, just came up and pulled the chair right out from under Kyle as he goes to sit down. I remember this pretty clearly, as it was before we started to get a little tipsy. But this guy wasn't sober. He was pretty hammed. Completely threw us all by surprise. Kyle goes down hard, holding up his water and beer in each of his hands. Kyle's saves a little bit of both drinks, but most of it goes on him. The dude that pulled the chair sort of gives a weird laugh and explains that he didn't mean to do it. But I'm thinking, "How do you not mean to do something that?" Kyle looks at him while he's on the ground, and says, "Are you serious? Did you mean to do that?" And the dude replies, "Oh man, I didn't think you were sitting down." We help Kyle up and the conversation continues about why he did it. The guy does apologize, but still acted like he didn't mean to do it. I walk away because I didn't want to see Kyle get kicked out of Tecmo X for beating the snot out of someone. I come back moments later and discover everyone is oddly laughing about the situation. It didn't taint Regulator's chances of winning Tecmo X.

i got an ancdote related to all this....

so last night, my son (11) kicked my daughter (13) after she said some sort of thing that made him upset, just another sibling fight, yada ya.... so as my son is crying and not heeding as usual my reasoning as to why retaliating physically is not justified in this case, I think and say to him, "you know that tecmo tourney I went to in madison, right? well the guy who won, his name is regulator and..." so I tell him this story, then ask, "so what were reg's choices when that evil dick pulled the chair out from him?" son: "he could have punched him... and lost the tournament...." me: "that's right, but he didn't... he laughed it off, and won the whole fucking thing" except maybe not the f-word, right...... well my son, long story short, competitor that he is, it CLICKED in him, and the rest of the evening, instead of drawing himself into argument with sister, he WON.... just like reg.

so thanks for the zen story reg! it worked... for one night at least.

I didn't expect it to take this long for my Madison documentary video, but with the editing out of shenanigans (and there are a lot of shenanigans) it is taking a lot longer than expected. So here it goes, a couple of quick takes from Tecmo X.

First and foremost I'd like to apologize for my creepy mustache. God made some people to grow great facial hair (Diazz) and I'm not one of them. As Jon (daboy) said, that stache ain't you man!

2.) Listening to the autobiography of Arnold Schwarzenegger for 10 hours on the way to and from Madison is the best way to pass the time.

3.) Room 134 at the Super 8 smelled like home, you guys are awesome.

d.) I don't think the band of brothers (Holtzbauers, Buennagels, Vogts, and Millers) will ever be beat in major tourneys, I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it.

5.) My funniest parts of the trip were when we left #134 and Woodshed told the other 10 guys he hoped they all made the Final 4 tomorrow, then the hotel clerk asked where we were going with the TV and we said it was ours, he just said OK and we went on our merry way.

6.) My favorite part of watching the tourney was yelling "RIVERBOAT IT!" on every 4th down, especially between Matt and Chet. 

Here is a quick preview of what I have so far, Long Live Tecmo! 

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9EuOCx6B3Q

Dude...

Wow.

Great Work!!!! I love it!!!

In the spirit of March Madness, I was just looking at the brackets from the last 2 years side by side, and I realized just how difficult it is to make a deep run in Madison these days. While the tournament final may have been the same as last year (Chet vs. Reg), the rest of the Elite 8/Sweet 16 could hardly be more different. Consider:

1) With the exception of Chet and Regulator, no one from last year's Elite 8 made this year's Elite 8. The "other 6" are Mort, Lucas S, Jeff B, Joe N, Daboy, and bgboud.

2) In fact, none of the "other 6" even made the Sweet 16 this year. Bgboud was knocked out in group play, Mort was knocked out in the Round of 64, and Daboy, Jeff B, and Lucas S were knocked out in the Round of 32. Sadly, Omaha Joe didn't make the trip this year.

3) Three of last year's Sweet 16 were knocked out in group play this year: Kevin M (buzzsaw), Jay H, and Bgboud.

4) Speaking of the Sweet 16, only FOUR players from last year's Sweet 16 made this year's Sweet 16: Chet, Regulator, Arncoem, and Beach. And Chet, Regulator, and Arncoem have made the last three Sweet 16s, which is no small feat. Chet is the only player to make the last four Sweet 16s, thanks to a Dotdon defeat of Regulator in Tecmo VII.

---

I think this speaks to the increased talent we see at the tournament every year (not only do we see a fresh crop of talented players each year, but established players continue to improve), and of course the fickleness of the Tecmo gods.

4) Speaking of the Sweet 16, only FOUR players from last year's Sweet 16 made this year's Sweet 16: Chet, Regulator, Arncoem, and Beach. And Chet, Regulator, and Arncoem have made the last three Sweet 16s, which is no small feat. Chet is the only player to make the last four Sweet 16s, thanks to a Dotdon defeat of Regulator in Tecmo VII.

---

I think the bolded portion of this post is EXTREMELY important to know.  Only 2 people have beaten Regulator in Madison.  Chet and myself.  That makes me the 3rd best player in the world.