Madison, WI - 03/08/14 - Tecmo X: The Gannonball Run

sonofpatbeach

What: Tecmo X: The Gannonball Run

When: March 8, 2014. Registration will take place between 9:00 and 9:30 am.

Where: Badger Bowl, 506 East Badger Road, Madison, WI 53713

Maximum Field Size: 256

Tournament Website: http://tecmomadison.com

Entry Fee: $40. Includes a tournament t-shirt (size to be selected during registration).

How to Register: Tournament registration, through the website, opens on January 4, 2013. You cannot register for Tecmo X unless you have already created an account with the website. If you already have an account, simply access the site and click on “Sign up for Tecmo X.” Your login information is that which you provided when you initially created the account. If you have forgotten your password, click on the “I forgot my password” link and a new one will be forwarded to the email account of record. If you need to create an account, click on the “Create an Account Now” link (top left of screen), follow the prompts, and you will then be in a position to register.

Just like last year, the registration process includes payment of the entry fee. No one will be registered until the entry fee is electronically processed through WePay PayPal or check. The entry fee will be non-refundable, so make certain you wish to and can attend the tournament. We do not want players “reserving” spots when they have little intention of actually attending.

Addendum to the above paragraph: as of Jan 15, we have updated our registration process so that players will either use PayPal or mail a check to confirm their spot in the tournament. We had some irreconcilable differences with our previous payment processing vendor, so had to make the change mid-stream. The registration process won't be quite as smooth from here on out, as the Web site won't take you directly to PayPal, but it's the best we can do. Keep in mind that a spot won't be held for you until we receive the money via PayPal, or a check in the PO Box. We apologize for this inconvenience, and truly appreciate your patience as we work through this. We will be reaching out to those affected by the transition process directly.

Payouts will be made by check on tournament day to those players that make the double-elimination Elite 8. The exact payout amounts will depend on the number of players that register, as well as our administrative costs, but here are the payouts from last year as a reference: 1st ($2200), 2nd ($1400), 3rd ($600), 4th ($300), 5th-8th ($100).

Tournament Rules and Format: This information is available on the Rules tab of the site. The site also includes past tournament results, pictures, competitor profiles, and a preview of this year's tournament. The tournament format will be the same as last year, unless the field shrinks to Tecmo VIII levels.

Equipment Needed: This tournament requires 32 systems to operate properly. If you can bring an NES, a cartridge, or a television to the tournament, please indicate such during the enrollment process (the website will automatically seek this information when you register). Any help is appreciated.

Costumes: Like last year, we will be awarding a $100 prize to the best costume at Tecmo X. With the combination of Rich Gannon, the Ganon character from Zelda, and the Burt Reynolds/Dom Deluise cult classic, you will have ample opportunity to flex your creative muscles here. Below is the winner and runner-up from last year:

Hotels: Unlike last year, there are a few other events in town, so hotels are more expensive, and harder to find. We strongly recommend that you book early. We weren't able to reserve a block at the DoubleTree, as they are already sold out (or so they tell us). We were, however, able to reserve a block at the nearby Sheraton. The rate is $119 per night, and guaranteed until Feb 5 (or until they run out of rooms). If calling, reference the "Tecmo Room Block."

Questions: If you have a question potentially applicable to all competitors (rules, tournament format, etc), please post such below. This is the official tournament thread. If you have an individual question that requires our attention, you can reach us at [email protected]

View full article

Edited by sonofpatbeach

Bruddog, we need to get you to TecmoX. The legend of Monkeybutler must be told!

Early science-based over/under lines:

·         2,000: number of times “just garbage” is used to describe a bad break during tournament play;

·         1,500: number of Badger Bowl beers sold on tournament day;

·         1,000: number of gratuitous rips on TsbGod, MrTsb, or Joeygats;

·         500: number of tournament-day Tweets necessary to again disable Chris V’s account;

·         220: number of tournament-day competitors;

·         50: number of people seeking Mort’s autograph and/or a picture;

·         19.5: number of persons in Orenga’s entourage;

·         4.5: number of guys bold enough to start, and stay with, Rich Gannon during tournament play. He’s undefeated lifetime;

·         3.5: number of times my g/f drunkenly cuddles with a fellow Tecmoer. Damn you Matt V—I saw that picture!

·         2.5: number of consecutive years that Regulator sports a shirt taunting the Tecmo Gods. #RodneyPeete=Saboteur;   

·         2.5: number of repeat Elite 8 qualifiers this year;

·         1.5: number of Elite 8 competitors from the same family;

·         1: number of post-tournament pocket pizza slices that Josh delivers at the Plaza;

·         .50: number of guys to capture the Madison crown for the first time.

i actually had take pic of mort and somebody last years...

over/unders...

14 1/2 fumbles by james brooks, ickey woods and boomdawg combined

13 1/2 pints of spotted cow consumed by red98

12     times pictures i personally have to take for mort and sumbody

.5    # of times i lose my wallet or pass out in streets of madison

9 1/2 # of credit cards forgotten by leaving at the bar for a tab

.25  a brother vs brother final

.75 members same family in elite 8

5 .5# of times mort comes with a shortcut to avoid tolls in northern ohio, indy and chi area...

36 1/2 # of drunken tweets sent out by "flo" after he gets knocked out of the tourney

7 # female single tecmo groupies...hopefully over covers

%5 of "tailback king" showing up and backing up his claims of the great "johnny johnson" outplaying "emiitt" in a dal vs phx matchup

Edited by red98sethuthut

i actually had take pic of mort and somebody last years...

over/unders...

13 1/2 pints of spotted cow consumed by red98

I had some Spotted Cow for the first time ever while tailgating at the Bears/Packers game on Sunday.  I'm not even a big beer guy, but DAMN that stuff was liquid ambrosia!!!!