House Rules Discussion

TecmoTurd

So, I got into TB based on TemoMadBrad and BoKnows fan pages.  So, naturally, I was "brought up" on their rule system which includes:

#1 - NEVER THROW THE BALL WHILE THE RECEIVER IS MAKING A CUT, SLANT, or CURL EVER. The game is unplayable without this rule being followed since the offense would never be stopped. This is THE most important rule to follow.

#2 - No quarterback running.  If the quarterback took off running everytime the offense could not be stopped, so it is outlawed.

#3 - No gaining yards when the defense has called your play. This includes no passing, running or quarterback running. You must either stop or step out of bounds at the line of scrimmage. This rule also prohibts the offense from gaining a 1st down or a touchdown on a playpick. The defense should not be punished for calling exactly the right play. This rule also prevent throwing to an inexplicably wide open Pat Beach on Indy when their Pass 1 has been called.

#4 - If you thrown a clear INT but the game doesn't register it, announce what pass play you're picking and throw an interception. Clear INT means the defender is "locked-on" and in obvious position to make the pick. This should be obvious when this occurs. Boarderline picks (when the defender is not "locked-on" but is right there) are a judgement call. These are tough to decide on, having a non-partial observer can really help the process. Also covered by this rule is if the defender is behind the receiver on a deep bomb they are counted as covered and an INT is thrown on the next play.

#5 -If you correctly call the opponets passing play but are controlling one of the players responsible for covering a receiver (either safety or both outside linebackers) you must cover your assigned man. The offense can throw to the open man if you do not cover him.

#6 -Only the player in the linebackers' position (the Lawtrence Taylor position) on field goal attempts can be used to try to block field goals and extra points. Being anyone else is banned.

After listening to others recap their TB experiences, I thought about these rules a little more. Because I think it'll be an interesting discussion, I'll break down my thoughts on their rules...

#1 never throw to a cut/slant/curling receiver - For a long time, I thoguht this rule made sense. I'm reconsidering that thought, as allowing these plays might lead to some more scoring.  I know it's noted that "it makes the offense unstoppable" but I would posit that with only 4 plays, it just makes the defense have to be smart about which play call they make, and might open up the offense a little more. The game is defensive-minded as it is. Obviously Brad will have some thoughts on this, but I'd like to hear what people who are not Brad think.  Everyone I tell this rule to says "we don't play that way, that's lame."

#2 No QB running - I struggle with this one.  Mostly I agree with this rule because it's lame to have the QB run every play.  I think it might be cool to make it so that the QB can run the ball only if he fully commits to the run...as in, you can't drop back, let the WR's go on their routes, and then take-off, you have to start your run as soon as you can, or at least in a reasonable amount of time. This might make the updated ROMs better because you can then allow running QBs to have an identity.

#3 No gaining yards on a play pick - I don't mind this one. Rewarding the defense for picking correctly isn't a bad thing. Hardcore TSB fans might not like this, but I do.  This is also less relevant now that the Pat Beach play has been fixed.

#4 game not registering an int - Meh, in this case I'd consider it that the WR was able to wrestle the ball away from the defender.

#5 - defender must cover their man -  I don't ever recall reading this one, it must be new.  Not sure what the effects are just yet

#6 - Lawrence Taylor LB position is only allowed to block FG/XP - Not sure why this is there...are there other positions that can get in easier, or are you trying to add value to the Giants special teams by restricting it to LT type players?

Any other house rules people use, or are you "anything goes?" Are your games more defensive or offensive? What do you think of their rules?

Discuss!!

At this point in my life, I would not want to play a TB game with any of these "extra rules".  No offense, because I'm sure in MadBrad's world, they are proper.  But in my experience, they wouldn't be necessary.

I think a TB rom where the "unstoppable pass plays" are fixed would be sufficient.

The only rule I would keep is "no qb running" or "modified qb running."  It's too easy to pick up  yards that way, and I'm not a fan (but to each his own).

The rest of them, for their world, it works for them, they have a way of doing things that they get a lot of enjoyment out of. 

As for "unstoppable" pass plays being fixed, I'm not sure how plausible that is.  Jstout is tending to life issues and I don't want to bother him, and we don't have anyone else with a knowledge of TB play hacking (other than the info I noted down from my convos with jstout) that I provided to you, and I don't know that it's enough to "fix" these plays.

Edited by TecmoTurd

As for "unstoppable" pass plays being fixed, I'm not sure how plausible that is.  Jstout is tending to life issues and I don't want to bother him, and we don't have anyone else with a knowledge of TB play hacking (other than the info I noted down from my convos with jstout) that I provided to you, and I don't know that it's enough to "fix" these plays.

Soon, I will look into that!

Thatta boy! If you can fix those, that'd be cool.  You have a copy of the 32-team ROM right? It'd be ideal that whatever you come up with would be able to be done with a "set patch" so people who like the original style of play can keep it...

Let me know what you need from me to make it all happen!

Hell, I'll build it into the editor along with the other patches if we want to go that route.

#1 - NEVER THROW THE BALL WHILE THE RECEIVER IS MAKING A CUT, SLANT, or CURL EVER.

* I don't agree with this if the receiver is not being covered. You are basically saying the receivers have to run their route to completion which due to some bad spacing by some of the play books creates bad situations. Also for teams that have 4 receivers in a route that means the bottom D-end comes free and creates issues with letting the routes complete. Under these rules you end up with a bunch of quick passes to the top receiver, unless he is covered by the computer. (i.e. Mike Wilson). Need some clarification, does that mean right when he is making his cut or also while the receiver is still running vertically up or down.

#2 - No quarterback running.

* I would prefer once per possession or once per half.

#3 - No gaining yards when the defense has called your play. This includes no passing, running or quarterback running

* I could see when pass plays are picked, but on run plays I think you get what you can.

#4 - If you thrown a clear INT but the game doesn't register it, announce what pass play you're picking and throw an interception.

* I would prefer just calling it lucky and move on.

** Although I wouldn't use it there is a glitch that allows the QB to throw the ball just as he crosses the line of scrimmage and if timed correctly will cause Defenders that are covering receivers to run towards the QB while a pass sails past them to a now wide open Receiver. (Found this out while a friend was using the Pass 1 strategy against Jerry Rice and I hit a wrong button while crossing the line of scrimmage trying to avoid the rush)

#5 -If you correctly call the opponets passing play but are controlling one of the players responsible for covering a receiver (either safety or both outside linebackers) you must cover your assigned man. The offense can throw to the open man if you do not cover him.

* this directly goes against rule # 3???

#6 -Only the player in the linebackers' position (the Lawtrence Taylor position) on field goal attempts can be used to try to block field goals and extra points. Being anyone else is banned.

* don't agree with this since LT is the only one (sometimes D. Bickett) that can get any pressure on the kick especially for extra points. Almost every team has a player that can put some pressure on the kick why not allow them. Maybe only on Extra points to encourage FG's.

Ind- Bickett 7 spot

Mia- Offerdahl 5 spot

Clev- no one

Den- Mecklenberg 5 spot

Sea- Young 5 spot

LA- Long 3 spot

Wash- Manley 1 spot, Mann 3 spot, Marshall 4 spot

SF- Carter 2 spot

Dal- no one

NY- Banks 4 spot, Taylor 7 spot

Chi- Singletary 2 spot, McMichael 6 spot.

Min- Doleman 1 spot.

Good feedback...to answer your questions as I understand them:

#1 - The reason is that slants and curls are impossible to pick off even if you're in position to make the int...well, not impossible, but very difficult to pull off.  I think their rule is even if he's not being covered, it's still banned, as you can move yoru defender to cover someone after the fact and still not be able to pick it off.  With only 4 plays, it shouldn't be a big deal...pick the right play on defense to stop them then, it's a 25% chance :)

#2 - No quarterback running.  - I agree, once or twice per half is sufficient, or 1 per half while also allowing unlimited attempts if you commit to the run.

#3 - No gaining yards - I agree with your comment...this should be for pass plays only.

#5 - I think this is an exception to their #3...meh, don't care about this one much

The only unstoppable play in the game is the Bavaro hook when he runs the hook at a 45 degree angle up and towards the line of scrimmage. If he runs the pattern and he runs straight towards the line of scrimmage, as the pattern is supposed to be run it can be intercepted. I've picked off every other pass in the game. Now with that being said, it is not easy to time and pick off the other passes. For example, the Roger Craig route on pass 3 for SF is interceptable (is that a word?) but a good player will vary when he throws the pass to throw off the timing of the Defense. Under Brad's rules you couldn't throw that pass until Craig came to a stop.

It is only unstoppable because of Bavaro's speed, because You can pick off the John L. Williams (or any slow WR/TE) hook.

Those rules are stupid.........Some teams are just better than others in Tecmobowl & real life........sounds like just an excuse to cripple the real good teams or players.  If you don't want to lose MAN vs MAN, you can't pick teams like Dallas unless you think your good enough to score every possession, which in my book would seperate good from great.

#1 - NEVER THROW THE BALL WHILE THE RECEIVER IS MAKING A CUT, SLANT, or CURL EVER.

* I don't agree with this if the receiver is not being covered. You are basically saying the receivers have to run their route to completion which due to some bad spacing by some of the play books creates bad situations. Also for teams that have 4 receivers in a route that means the bottom D-end comes free and creates issues with letting the routes complete. Under these rules you end up with a bunch of quick passes to the top receiver, unless he is covered by the computer. (i.e. Mike Wilson). Need some clarification, does that mean right when he is making his cut or also while the receiver is still running vertically up or down.

#4 - If you thrown a clear INT but the game doesn't register it, announce what pass play you're picking and throw an interception.

* I would prefer just calling it lucky and move on.

** Although I wouldn't use it there is a glitch that allows the QB to throw the ball just as he crosses the line of scrimmage and if timed correctly will cause Defenders that are covering receivers to run towards the QB while a pass sails past them to a now wide open Receiver. (Found this out while a friend was using the Pass 1 strategy against Jerry Rice and I hit a wrong button while crossing the line of scrimmage trying to avoid the rush)

* this directly goes against rule # 3???

Cam's rule insinuates covered WR's...kind of a product of playpicks, and also how when thrown at the right time while covered by the computer(or human) the game kind of sling shots the defender around in some sort of suction deal so he can't pick off the pass.  Can happen against human defenders as well if they don't have the right angle.  

Your interpretation of being "open and slanting" is correct IMO.  Miami, and Chicago have similar plays where the TE and WR run slants, just about 5-6 yards apart, as the Bottom WR goes deeper before crossing the field.  Whats really the beauty of Tecmo Bowl is using your cycling to get the defender to cheat just a smidge one way or the other and then hit the other guy cleanly.  We do this all the time and it not only legal in our eyes, it requires great skill.  You can complete these passes all day if you're good enough in tight spaces and the human controlled defender would never get swung around.  Slanting/curling and open is fair game.

Our rules state that throwing to a computer controlled WR results in INT 100% of the time.  Throwing on a human controlled defender is really up to the refs whether they rule it a INT or not.  My buddy Nate on defense swears he's there all the F'n time on a non-called INT.... then you watch the replay and you see a small gap or the pop and 2nd pop sound as the catch and grapple occur just a moment apart.  Now if some clear swing around motion happens to the defender, we rule it an INT.  Of course not only do we record our games on DVD for future reference, but we also have a VCR going at the same time for replay decisions.  Nerd factor gets to level 10 at this point!   If we can't come into agreement about the "being swung around" possibility, we do a VCR replay.  If we still can't agree, we go to a coin flip to see who gets the call.  

I'm in the camp of play pick on passing play resulting in no yardage no matter what the human defender does.  

So, I got into TB based on TemoMadBrad and BoKnows fan pages.  So, naturally, I was "brought up" on their rule system which includes:

#6 - Lawrence Taylor LB position is only allowed to block FG/XP - Not sure why this is there...are there other positions that can get in easier, or are you trying to add value to the Giants special teams by restricting it to LT type players?

I'm not sure how/why Cam and his guys came up with this rule.  The reason we use it is so that teams can kick field goals.  Once you figure out where all the fast defenders are on the field, then it can pretty much eliminates FG's from the 25 yard line out if you choose to let anyone try and block...except against a couple teams, like Dallas/LA who have all slow guys.  Field Goals are such a huge part of football, that Ive always felt it was a good rule to help preserve that aspect of the game.  Obviously LT and Bickett to a lesser extent alter this thinking, but that makes them wildcards.

The extra point attempts as i said earlier are really a crapshoot as you can bring anyone to try and block those.  We use that as a wildcard of sorts, and it really puts pressure on the PATs.    

The Canadians originally had the NO QB running rule.  While we had unlimited QB runs back in the day.  By going and playing those guys  in Chicago each year we had to meet in the middle and adopt international rules of 1 QB run per QTR, which we still observe to this day.

Limited QB running really enhanced our games.  Made the game more cerebral, and also made us a shit load better at QB'ing.  Now, we can formulate game plans around the pass calls to take a certain WR out of the game with him being covered by the computer....and not have to worry about the QB taking the easy way out and running 8 times on 1 drive.  I can be in the right defense, decide what I'm willing to give up(pass or run) and don't have to go out there just flat out playpick my opponent 50% time just so I can get a stop.   

The bottom line is that I know so much of the pass play coverages and run blocking short circuit calls, that I can easily translate that to some sort of "anything goes" style and still beat all kinds of ass.  If you don't know the calls to make on defense and just try to play pick me, you might be able to match me score for score, but I can guarantee your drives are going to be a lot more difficult for you to score than they will be for me.    

Those rules are stupid.........Some teams are just better than others in Tecmobowl & real life........sounds like just an excuse to cripple the real good teams or players.  If you don't want to lose MAN vs MAN, you can't pick teams like Dallas unless you think your good enough to score every possession, which in my book would seperate good from great.

Playing an anything goes style of Tecmo with more variables(QB running for example) actually levels the playing field more for "have not" teams like the Cowboys and Seahawks, who are bottom and middle of the pack respectively. Bears, Giants, and 49ers drop fewer games to them now than ever before.  Our rules have created more of a legit hierarchy for the top teams.     

Edited by Tecmo-Mad-Brad

The most important post I'll make in this thread is right here.  No matter which rules you have, or whatever, Tecmo Bowl for us is best when played inside the parameters of some sort of formatted competition.  You will get out of Tecmo Bowl what you put into it.  

We draw up our seasons, and crown a champion after 80 some games..... we do Tecmo Cups that are about 25 games long, 11 game Royal Rumble over the course of 3-4 hours on a friday night, 6 pack challenges.  We've created brackets and played a 24 game tournament.  Bottom line is that we get the most enjoyment out of the game when theres an on going compeition to partake in.  I think if we just played random games, there's no way in hell Nate and I would have played roughly 700 games of Tecmo Bowl against each other since the spring of 2004.  

I've got the spreadsheets to show the results and notes to tell the story of those games, and we can sit around for a night and talk about a TON of memorable games we threw down in, and how some games had some of the most wacky and memorable stuff happen.  

The most important post I'll make in this thread is right here.  No matter which rules you have, or whatever, Tecmo Bowl for us is best when played inside the parameters of some sort of formatted competition.  You will get out of Tecmo Bowl what you put into it.  

We draw up our seasons, and crown a champion after 80 some games..... we do Tecmo Cups that are about 25 games long, 11 game Royal Rumble over the course of 3-4 hours on a friday night, 6 pack challenges.  We've created brackets and played a 24 game tournament.  Bottom line is that we get the most enjoyment out of the game when theres an on going compeition to partake in.  I think if we just played random games, there's no way in hell Nate and I would have played roughly 700 games of Tecmo Bowl against each other since the spring of 2004.  

I've got the spreadsheets to show the results and notes to tell the story of those games, and we can sit around for a night and talk about a TON of memorable games we threw down in, and how some games had some of the most wacky and memorable stuff happen.

All good stuff Brad!!! I and many others are big fans of what you guys do. I'm kinda jealous that you still have someone that comes over and you guys do something you are passionate about! All of my gaming experiences are with my kids, which is fun, but not challenging or online.

I hope you don't take this as a personal attack. I think for most of us we've probably only played an anything goes style so your rules just seem foreign. I really have never tried to play under your rules. Maybe someday.

Agreed on jealousy thing...I wish Ihad a group of guys to play some games, though I don't take it as serious as some do.  I just like to play and have some fun, 4-playbook, no fumblin', make a bad pass and pay for it football.  The kind with the large player models and only 9 players per team.

After all this, one other "rule" I'd make would be to try and make field goals easier to make as Brad mentions.  If there's always someone in your face, FGs become too difficult and less important.  

Either way, I need to get some games in online with people again...remember the TPC site I made for TB?  

http://tecmo.sweethoss.com

Seems like I need to remove those rules in there :)

Edited by TecmoTurd

Growing up in my neighborhood as a kid/teen I was banned from using SF and was forced to use Dallas. I still won our leagues we put together, and made a God out of Herschel Walker. Fun times!! (We played anything goes, except for the line of scrimmage glitch). Believe it or not we managed to have some pretty decent defensive battles).

• 1 year later...

I don't think I illustrated it well enough in a previous post about why we use the 1 QB run rule, but here's some additional thoughts.  If the QB has a never ending escape valve(ie: unlimited QB runs) then the difference in the offensive personnel from one team to the next and the difference between the playbooks for the most part gets diminished, and as long as you can avoid playpicks, you can move down the field with great ease.  Then no matter how good or bad the offense's playbook and players are, I can lead the human controlled defender away with the WR going deep, and then play it super safe and run my QB for 6+ yard gains over and over.   

With the computer controlled player coverages in the game, the defense can employ an actual gameplan when QB runs are limited...for example call a heavy dose of Pass 1 against Seattle's offense.  The result is that when Seattle calls Pass 2, the top WR is covered, and Krieg is left with 2 targets in the middle.  Skill comes into play as you have to try and bait the defender one way or the other to complete the pass, or if out of QB runs, then you get back to the LOS and take the "coverage sack".  Then the game begins as the offense tries to hit me with well placed run by Warner and to also try to catch me with Pass 1 cals when i have gone to a different call.  It creates a sense of offensive "haves and have nots", but the have nots can still play well when they out coach the opponent and the players execute.  

An offense like Chicago becomes damn near unstoppable with unlimited QB runs....defense has to limit Payton with lots of run calls, and then McMahon can just QB run all day if its not 100% there.  Pretty much any offense borders on unstoppable for a good portion of the game when the QB can tuck and run for easy yards.  Even bad offenses like WSH/MIN with the worthless WR run play can still march down the field with ease as long as Williams and Kramer can run.

Again, to each his own with whatever rules you use, but this rule adds a lot of strategy, game-planning, and scheming to the game, which we didn't have back when QB running was unlimited.  I've played hundreds and hundreds of both style, and prefer limited QB runs by a mile.  Our QB rules creates a cat and mouse game within in the passing game.  The back and forth battle between the defense and offense in situations where deviations are used (3rd downs for example) becomes paramount.  It also accentuates the differences in the strengths or weakness each defense has against every playbook.  It brings match-up differences to the forefront, as team X might have a great defense but doesn't match up well with against the Bears playbook, but a different team with a standout defender at the right position can better offset things the bears playbook can do.  In football each team is different and this rule helps mimic that aspect.