Sign in to follow this  
Big fan of Fentry, mahself

Current Players bound for the Hall... Let The Debate Begin

I like the idea of this thread, but I don't like the execution. Needs more polish!

I don't think Big Ben will make it in for a long time. I think it'll be his League Gods pennance for the nonsense he got himself involved in and thus 'tarneshing the shield.' I think he will serve some time.

Bolt, why don't you edit the very first post in this thread for a running list to add/delete names. Then based on the posts we'll make a running list of who's in. So who has some input on OL? Jeff Saturday, Joe Thomas, Jake Long (in a couple more years).  

Whoever said Reggie Wayne, that's a good one.

And how about Adam Vinatieri?  Only kicker to win 4 Super Bowls (3 with Pats, 1 with Colts).  Hit a bunch of crucial FGs to win playoff games and he is the all time points leader in postseason history (has 42 postseason FGs).  Multiple time pro bowl and all pro team member and 2000s all decade team.

If Vinatieri isn't bound for the Hall, kickers everywhere should just go ahead give up all hope of fame and start kicking "for the money/ladies" only.

To me, Vinatieri is a first ballot HoF, period.

Edited by buck

Devin Hester most likely, as the best return man ever... 

Everyone else in the last few posts are great players but haven't really distinguished themselves historically.  I think Rodgers will be a lock by the time he's done...  Not sure about many of the others.

Devin Hester most likely, as the best return man ever... 

Everyone else in the last few posts are great players but haven't really distinguished themselves historically.  I think Rodgers will be a lock by the time he's done...  Not sure about many of the others.

Current players bound for the the Pro Bowl. :D

Do you know that the '80s and '90s each had about 30 players, who played half-to-a-majority of their careers in one of those respective decades, inducted into the Hall of Fame (already)?

Who's IN:

Drew Brees

Adrian Peterson

Tony Gonzalez

Champ Bailey

Ed Reed

DeMarcus Ware

Larry Fitzgerald

Troy Polamalu

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

Devin Hester

Adam Vinatieri

Who else?

(See first post/first page...  Also, need more LINEMEN!!!)

Names that should be thrown out that don't stand a chance = Phillip Rivers, Anquan Boldin.  Long enough career without anything spectacular, that even if they were unbelievable in the last years of their careers it wouldn't be enough.

There is such a thing as - Great Player < HOF.

That said -

Retire today and they're In:

TGon

Manning

Brady

Brees (borderline though)

Champ

Ed Reed

Gates

Reggie Wayne

Charlie Woodson

Jason Witten

Adam Vinitari

Shane Leclar (sp) (gotta let another one in someday).

Jared Allen

Dmarcus Ware

Tough Calls. Not in, but convince me:

Frank Gore

Troy Palamalu

Steve Smith

Ben Rothlisberger

Ray Rice

If They Keep Up The Pace for a Few More:

AP

Aaron Rogers

Andre Johnson (unlikely)

Patrick Willis

Larry Fitz (questionable)

Darell Revis

Mario Williams

Julius Peppers

They Have a Ways to Go But Look Like LOCKS

Calvin Johnson

Andrew Luck

Richard Sherman

Jimmy Graham

Julio Jones

Aldon Smith (if he stays out of jail)

Possible Projections:

AJ Green

Luke Keuchley (sp)

Gronk

Earl Thomas

Dez Bryant

Von Miller

Matt Ryan

Matt Stafford

Off the List?

RGIII - Injuries

Chris Johnson - not consistently great

Wes Welker - not enough TD's.

Edited by SirTed

Yeah, not Boldin.  And, to be honest, I'm not even as sure about Fitzgerald as everyone else seems to be.  This isn't because   The HOF is just weird on modern receivers, and it remains to be seen what its policy on the current gen is going to be. 

Cris Carter getting in this year was a good sign, but keep in mind that, including him, the HOF has inducted only 9 receivers who played the majority of their careers during the Common Draft era (I posted something to this effect in the other thread on HOF injustices): Charlie Joiner, Lynn Swann, John Stallworth, Steve Largent, James Lofton, Art Monk, Jerry Rice, Michael Irvin, Carter.  In my opinion, Carter getting in means that Tim Brown and Andre Reed will get in, too.  Likely Marvin Harrison as well (doesn't he become eligible this year?  I know it's off topic, but does this guy make it first-ballot?)

With the exception of Swann and Stallworth (who got in on the strength of pretty NFL Films highlights, IMO), it seems that the Hall prefers receivers who have long, steady careers, rather than those who are spectacular for a few years. 

To me, the guys at the top of that list are Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson.

There is such a thing as - Great Player < HOF.

That said -

Retire today and they're In:

TGon

Manning

Brady

Brees (borderline though)

Champ

Ed Reed

Gates

Reggie Wayne

Charlie Woodson

Jason Witten

Adam Vinitari

Shane Leclar (sp) (gotta let another one in someday).

Jared Allen

Dmarcus Ware

Tough Calls. Not in, but convince me:

Frank Gore

Troy Palamalu

Steve Smith

Ben Rothlisberger

Ray Rice

If They Keep Up The Pace for a Few More:

AP

Aaron Rogers

Andre Johnson (unlikely)

Patrick Willis

Larry Fitz (questionable)

Darell Revis

Mario Williams

Julius Peppers

They Have a Ways to Go But Look Like LOCKS

Calvin Johnson

Andrew Luck

Richard Sherman

Jimmy Graham

Julio Jones

Aldon Smith (if he stays out of jail)

Possible Projections:

AJ Green

Luke Keuchley (sp)

Gronk

Earl Thomas

Dez Bryant

Von Miller

Matt Ryan

Matt Stafford

Off the List?

RGIII - Injuries

Chris Johnson - not consistently great

Wes Welker - not enough TD's.

Brees borderline? SB, SB MVP, pass yds in season record, 40 TD pass seasons record, what top 5 all time pass TD already.... what more does he need?

Polamalu is going in. Smith may as well. If he wins a SB with Niners then Gore likely gets in.

Rodgers is going in, no question there. after this season put AP on the list as well. I personally think Andre Johnson should go in, he's played in Houston with Carr and Schaub.

Calvin Johnson, Aldon Smith, Julio Jones and Patrick willis are gonna be considered 2010's decade.

Where is Patrick Peterson's name? In a year or so that's who the best cover corner in the game will be.

Where is Patrick Peterson's name? In a year or so that's who the best cover corner in the game will be.

Considering anyone with under 5 years of service is pretty pointless.  Barry Sanders tearing his ACL year 5 probably torpedoes his career.

Brees borderline? SB, SB MVP, pass yds in season record, 40 TD pass seasons record, what top 5 all time pass TD already.... what more does he need?

Polamalu is going in. Smith may as well. If he wins a SB with Niners then Gore likely gets in.

Rodgers is going in, no question there. after this season put AP on the list as well. I personally think Andre Johnson should go in, he's played in Houston with Carr and Schaub.

Calvin Johnson, Aldon Smith, Julio Jones and Patrick willis are gonna be considered 2010's decade.

IMO, Brees is in. But he's just below the other two guys. He's got basically the same numbers as Brady, without ALL the Superb Owls. Considering the era, I think what I said makes sense. He's in the "retire today (literally) and he's in category. As in, it's borderline, if he quit today, that he's in - but he is. 

Rogers has about as many yards as Steve Beuerlein. I love Rogers, but there is no way that if he walked away today he's HOF. IMO, he's the best QB in football when playing his best - but that's not what we're talking about.

Troy is tied with Ray Lewis for career ints. He's a great player, a player that stats don't tell the whole picture on, I don't think he's a LOCK however. I'd love for someone to explain why he's a sure fire HOFer...

Gore hasn't even eclipsed 10,000 yards. What's the justification for him getting in? A SB? I don't think so.

Patrick Peterson probably should be on the list - I neglected to consider KR + PR performance. On defense alone he looks good as well, but not quite there.

Really Doubtful Hester makes it....Kick Returners are up there with Kickers and Punters and he didn't do enough anywhere else

I didn't include him on my list - but thinking about it some more I'm surprised you'd shoot this down.

I agree with you in principal, but you don't think there should be an exception for the greatest KR of all time?