Bodom's NE Patriots COA Challenge

COA Elway

First ballot HOF'er for sure!

But ELWAY - if you're reading this, I havea COA challenge for you!  Try to win the Super Bowl while coaching New England.

Here's your rules:

- No playbook changes - original Pats playbook only.

- No roster moves of any kind (unless someone gets injured).  Grogan is your man.

- No checking player conditions.  Ever.

- If someone gets injured, you must sub in the next in line as Tecmo would. 

It took me about 25 COA seasons to finally accomplish this (beating SF in the super bowl no less).  Fatcheerleader can testify.

This task would definitely seal it.  Ready, go!

(Use FCEUX and jack up the speed a few 100%s so you can get through games in a few mins, using normal speed in the 4th if necessary).

I accepted the challenge and accomplished the task in year 2, with some VERY impressive results. There is one game in particular, I'd like to see anyone accomplish. The Super Bowl feat is another. Here are the screenshots in all their glory.........................
***Week 12 is missing***

Week 1                                             Week 2                                               Week 3                                               Week 4

post-4777-0-04949000-1380471687_thumb.pn post-4777-0-54305900-1380471843_thumb.pn post-4777-0-16465200-1380471969_thumb.pn post-4777-0-22421200-1380471985_thumb.pn

Week 5                                              Week 6                                                Week 7  *This Game!*                       Week 8

post-4777-0-92506700-1380472370_thumb.pn post-4777-0-65579000-1380472381_thumb.pn post-4777-0-69536700-1380472400_thumb.pn post-4777-0-97997800-1380472416_thumb.pn

Week 9                                               Week 10                                              Week 11                                             Week 13

post-4777-0-48881200-1380472653_thumb.pn post-4777-0-51275500-1380472662_thumb.pn post-4777-0-89506900-1380472674_thumb.pn post-4777-0-52733400-1380472689_thumb.pn

Week 14                                              Week 15                                               Week 16                                              Divisional

post-4777-0-02198400-1380472818_thumb.pn post-4777-0-00531300-1380472829_thumb.pn post-4777-0-82551600-1380472839_thumb.pn post-4777-0-17308600-1380472870_thumb.pn

post-4777-0-84287600-1380473443_thumb.pn post-4777-0-42923000-1380473455_thumb.pn post-4777-0-88870900-1380473465_thumb.pn

post-4777-0-88120200-1380473533_thumb.pn post-4777-0-89720800-1380473547_thumb.pn post-4777-0-26620400-1380473624_thumb.pn post-4777-0-50095300-1380473572_thumb.pn

post-4777-0-58862200-1380473680_thumb.pn post-4777-0-67930600-1380473709_thumb.pn 

post-4777-0-85554200-1380473795_thumb.pn post-4777-0-06732600-1380473807_thumb.pn post-4777-0-19352700-1380473816_thumb.pn post-4777-0-96692300-1380473825_thumb.pn

There it is!

Week 7 and the Super Bowl are the impressive stat games.

Had Stephens not have gotten injured like 5 or 6 times he would've been over 2000 yards.

Thanks to Bodom for the challenge, it was a blast.

I am the COA'ing Phenom

That sir, is impressive!

I just double checked and it literally took me 20 seasons, though I only missed the playoffs once and most of my shortfalls were due to Stephens being in bad or injured...or coughing up the ball multiple times.

With this challenge you have secured your induction into the TCHOF.

Here are my results.

1 super bowl win (I went 10-5-1, won over SF)

6 super bowl losses (WAS, MIN, SF, NYG, SF, WAS)

7 conf championship losses (BUF, BUF, RAI, CIN, RAI, BUF, RAI)

5 one and dones (HOU, CIN, MIA, BUF, RAI)...one of which I went 15-1.

1 missed playoffs (6-10)

Now the real question...how would you do coaching the 2013 Steelers? :razz:

I would think the keys to success are securing a first round bye and also tanking the week 16 game if possible.

I'm still a firm believer that COM juice doesn't happen in COA mode. If it does it's very little. I just got lucky on how the teams fell in the bracket.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

That sir, is impressive!

I just double checked and it literally took me 20 seasons, though I only missed the playoffs once and most of my shortfalls were due to Stephens being in bad or injured...or coughing up the ball multiple times.

With this challenge you have secured your induction into the TCHOF.

Here are my results.

1 super bowl win (I went 10-5-1, won over SF)

6 super bowl losses (WAS, MIN, SF, NYG, SF, WAS)

7 conf championship losses (BUF, BUF, RAI, CIN, RAI, BUF, RAI)

5 one and dones (HOU, CIN, MIA, BUF, RAI)...one of which I went 15-1.

1 missed playoffs (6-10)

Now the real question...how would you do coaching the 2013 Steelers? :razz:

I'm 7-1 right now! :D

Now, since you self proclaim yourself as the "coaching phenom", try it with Johnny and the Cards since you like using underdoggs................He'll probably get 3,000+ yards rushing for you..............the REAL challenge will be if Johnson gets hurt.

I will try it. Give me the playbook you want me to use and I will do it by your rules as bodom had set for NE.

elway, this has given me a new found respect and enjoyment from the coach mode.  Never went through more than a couple games in a row to be honest as I got bored.  But with the Nestopia sped up, you can go through games so much faster.  What I especially like about the coach mode is that is makes you use things like field goals, punting and clock management more than playing MAN vs modes.  Playaction in MAN vs MAN are basically useless as they take too much time to develop.  But in COA mode, they can be devastating.

I think in the long run, exploring this way of playing will enhance my MAN vs modes later as well.

I'm attempting my first season in all Coach mode.  I'm 13 games in and I'm 9-3-1.  I'll report back later.

Edited by philleyOphish

elway, this has given me a new found respect and enjoyment from the coach mode.  Never went through more than a couple games in a row to be honest as I got bored.  But with the Nestopia sped up, you can go through games so much faster.  What I especially like about the coach mode is that is makes you use things like field goals, punting and clock management more than playing MAN vs modes.  Playaction in MAN vs MAN are basically useless as they take too much time to develop.  But in COA mode, they can be devastating.

I think in the long run, exploring this way of playing will enhance my MAN vs modes later as well.

I'm attempting my first season in all Coach mode.  I'm 13 games in and I'm 9-3-1.  I'll report back later.

Welcome aboard! My buddy got me hooked on this mode back when the '93 SNES came out. I sold the '91 version after playing it a few games. Was not aware of the COA mode at the time, it is the only way I have ever played. This NE season was the 2nd time I ever completed as COA on the NES and this was just within the last month. Always preferred the SNES more. My next test will be to take the '93 roster of the Patriots and put them in the stock '91. If I can win the SB or even get to the playoffs easily with them, then that'll confirm that the NES is by far easier than the SNES version. I definitely know the running is harder, in the SNES.

I'll NEVER be onboard with this 'excuse for not havn real skill' way of playin.............BUT............just to prove how much better I am than you in every faction of the game, I'm gonna COA a season with the Cardinals.  Just to let you know, I'v never done a season in coach, and never plan to again.....My prediction is that Johnny has 3,000 plus yards rushing with eazzzzzzzz.......I won't go as far to say I can win the Superbowl on my first (and only) try, but I will make the playoffs.  That's a guarantee.  And you can trust me when I say this, I don't need to cheat...I'll let the SUPERSTAR on my team do all the ballin' for me.  Your stats with the Patriots weren't all that impressive, and are WAY beneath Johnny Johnson's skill set.  So I figure I'ma shatter all your Dallas Cowboys records that Emmitt got you.................and when I do, there's gonna be nothin else you can say, except to admit that I'm just a better all around player, and the NEW COA'ing PHENOM of the Tecmo world.    

(p.s.   and yes, when this all happens, I will expect you to REMOVE the words "COAching Phenom" from the top of your signature...and then create a post explaining how it feels to get OUSTED by a rookie)

I'll NEVER be onboard with this 'excuse for not havn real skill' way of playin.............BUT............just to prove how much better I am than you in every faction of the game, I'm gonna COA a season with the Cardinals.  Just to let you know, I'v never done a season in coach, and never plan to again.....My prediction is that Johnny has 3,000 plus yards rushing with eazzzzzzzz.......I won't go as far to say I can win the Superbowl on my first (and only) try, but I will make the playoffs.  That's a guarantee.  And you can trust me when I say this, I don't need to cheat...I'll let the SUPERSTAR on my team do all the ballin' for me.  Your stats with the Patriots weren't all that impressive, and are WAY beneath Johnny Johnson's skill set.  So I figure I'ma shatter all your Dallas Cowboys records that Emmitt got you.................and when I do, there's gonna be nothin else you can say, except to admit that I'm just a better all around player, and the NEW COA'ing PHENOM of the Tecmo world.    

(p.s.   and yes, when this all happens, I will expect you to REMOVE the words "COAching Phenom" from the top of your signature...and then create a post explaining how it feels to get OUSTED by a rookie)

Stock playbook only! No substitutions, only due to injury and in the correct order that the com would follow. You gotta have a winning season as well. It don't matter if you get great stats in a losing effort, ala Calvin Johnson last year. And be careful, I can tell if you cheated real easy. Emmitt was on the SNES by the way. I'd love to see you get 1500 yards with J.J. in that version. He sucks balls! 

My title will never be removed! I've played too many seasons for that to happen, with great success.

Stock playbook only! No substitutions, only due to injury and in the correct order that the com would follow. You gotta have a winning season as well. It don't matter if you get great stats in a losing effort, ala Calvin Johnson last year. And be careful, I can tell if you cheated real easy. Emmitt was on the SNES by the way. I'd love to see you get 1500 yards with J.J. in that version. He sucks balls! 

My title will never be removed! I've played too many seasons for that to happen, with great success.

Stock playbook???  NO WAY!!!.......I'm the NEW coach in town and am gonna use the same plays that have worked for me all these years...and another thing, why wouldn't you be able to sub???  Isn't that what coaches do???  I havn' decided if i'm gonna use the Jets Johnny or the Cards one.....it doesn't matter cuzz there BOTH PHENOM'S which will get me similar results.

Stock playbook??? NO WAY!!!.......I'm the NEW coach in town and am gonna use the same plays that have worked for me all these years...and another thing, why wouldn't you be able to sub??? Isn't that what coaches do??? I havn' decided if i'm gonna use the Jets Johnny or the Cards one.....it doesn't matter cuzz there BOTH PHENOM'S which will get me similar results.

Good luck!

Yes, I will use the N.Y. JETS version of Johnson (SNES) so u don't b!tch, and in sayin' that............

WEEK 1:  New York Jets vs Denver Broncos (of all people)

This was one of the most FRUSTERATING games I'v ever played...I will give you credit Elway for one thing, not throwing your controller at the TV screen after the 10th time in a row your QB decides to throw the ball to the only guy on the field that's covered...I look at this game more like a crap shoot than skill........

Johnny Johnson~21 for 160 yrds rushing, and 1 TD

Boomer Esiason~13 for 13 yrds, and 2 picc's!!!

John Elway didn't do much better...

John Elway~7 for 34 yrds, and 1 TD

The experience was definitley different...I kept finding myself tring to select my defender, and control Johnson after handoffs. Like I said, I will gut out this season and keep you posted on what happens..........................

BTW, the end score was {New York Jets 7, Denver Broncos 10}.....It went into OVERTIME and they kicked a fieldgoal to win. (that was bullsh!t).....I can admit I still have much to learn about the in's & out's of this version, but I'll get it.

Maybe I should speak for myself, but the reason people switch to COA mode is because MAN is just too easy. 

I can't make any "I'm the best" claims as I've never been to a tourney and my MAN vs. MAN games ended after college (11+ years ago), but I can easily go 16-0 and win the Super Bowl with the sh!tty Patriots....or Colts.  15-1 at the VERY least.  I'm not one for smashing stats and trying to break all time records...it gets boring.  I'd much rather a challenge just to win a game.

Enter COA mode.

And even when coaching, changing playbooks, checking conditions and swapping players just made it too easy...even with the sh!t teams.  That's why I started trying to win it all by playing with NE without making any roster or playbook changes.  Although it took me 20 seasons, I only missed the playoffs once and seemed to always get a few unlucky bounces in the playoffs.

That's why all these rules were made.  To simply make it challenging.

Alls I have to say is thank God (errr...jstout, bruddog, buck, and a few others...) for all these new games changes, hacks, etc...  I've successfully managed to make a ROM where (while using a horrible team against one of the best teams) I can only win 50% of the time.  About 80% with even teams, but still a challenge/close game.  I'll release it someday for others to try (fatcheerleader is currently 0-6 with it  ;-)) but it's far from "finished".

What was my point again?

^^^Ha hA Ha......that was kinda funny.

On another note, why would anybody wanna speed the game up???  That's like watching your favorite team on TV in FF>>..........Some of you mean ta tell me that you don't have time in your day for a 15 ta 20 minute game??? Why even play it??? 

Edited by ~Tailback King~

On another note, why would anybody wanna speed the game up???

So you can get through an entire season in 2 hours. My first few seasons I would play at normal speed. After playing it out in normal speed then getting bounced in the first round due to fumbles, I decided to "turbo speed" my way thru the reg season, since making the playoffs was a given, then play the playoffs at normal speed.

ELWAY - I would like to see your K and P stats for that Patriots season.

I don't have those buck. I never took screenshots of that. If I recall punting wasn't all that great. I remember a ton of short ones, hence the redskins 21 points in the SB. They had a short field on two of those. The FG kicking was pretty good. I was usually really close when I kicked them. I believe I only missed one or two all year long. Not sure though. With the patriots anyways I was going for td's due to them being pathetic.

Yes, I will use the N.Y. JETS version of Johnson (SNES) so u don't b!tch, and in sayin' that............

WEEK 1: New York Jets vs Denver Broncos (of all people)

This was one of the most FRUSTERATING games I'v ever played...I will give you credit Elway for one thing, not throwing your controller at the TV screen after the 10th time in a row your QB decides to throw the ball to the only guy on the field that's covered...I look at this game more like a crap shoot than skill........

Johnny Johnson~21 for 160 yrds rushing, and 1 TD

Boomer Esiason~13 for 13 yrds, and 2 picc's!!!

John Elway didn't do much better...

John Elway~7 for 34 yrds, and 1 TD

The experience was definitley different...I kept finding myself tring to select my defender, and control Johnson after handoffs. Like I said, I will gut out this season and keep you posted on what happens..........................

BTW, the end score was {New York Jets 7, Denver Broncos 10}.....It went into OVERTIME and they kicked a fieldgoal to win. (that was bullsh!t).....I can admit I still have much to learn about the in's & out's of this version, but I'll get it.

Just like bodom posted. It's a learning curve. Once you learn the team's you can win a good chunk of games. My COACH style roms have many hacks to make them play harder. Good luck on the season. :)

Jets COA season WEEK 2...

...was a fu**!n blowout!!!  Not in a good way.  Johnny goes down on the first play of the damn game...DOLPHINS 24 vs JETS O  (ouch)..................I realized just how valuable Johnson is...in ALL levels of the game.

Jets COA season WEEK 3...BYE

Jets COA season WEEK 4...

Johnny's back!!!!!!!  (thank God)  He's starting to find his rhythem, and the Pats didn't have a chance...a massacre if you will.  (Sorry Bodom...Ha hA Ha!!!)

Johnson-21 carries for 169 yrds, 2 TD's

Brad Baxter-7 for 68 also...It majorly helps when someone else can contribute.

Boomer again...........nothing worth talkin' about........I try ta mix it up but his picc's just KILL ME.

FINAL SCORE: Jets 24 vs Patriots 0

Jets COA season WEEK 5...

It's POURING rain and Herschel gets injured on the first play, which makes it eazyer for me...Big backs are built for bad weather, and Johnny puts on a clinic!!!  Busts some BIG runs bouncing off linemen and going through anybody in his way...this is the game I found out players don't alwayz run the play the way their supposed to, which led to some HUGE runs.

Johnson-18 attempts for 173 yrds, 4 TD's

Leave it to Boomer to complete 2 long passes over 40 yrds when it's raining...he STILL hasn't broke even 100 yrds passing :(

FINAL SCORE:  Jets 27 vs Eagles 7

One more game to come.................................