TSB Passing Revolution

xplozv

I have been working on hacks for all versions of TSB. I have attached 2 copies of the tb.org 2014 rom with the recent hacks I have created. One of them has custom defenses from one of my old roms just for you guys to test the hacks against. I also uploaded a copy of NES players on SNES rom, which was made by elway, that I added these hacks to as well. I also have these hacks done for SNES TSB III along with e few new others(Thanks to drunken, hurricane, and bruddogg for fixing the passing speed glitch).

"Play the Ball" Hack

While defending, if a receiver is just out of your reach of getting to the ball spot, or if the pass is overthrown, press "B" to dive for the pass or at the receiver to minimize his gain. On offense as the receiver, a MAN player can dive to catch passes also by pressing "B" with the correct timing. The 2nd part of the "Play the Ball" hack is the ability to jump for passes by pressing "A" when you're in position to do so on offense and defense.

"Madden Passing" Hack

The arrow passing system has been disabled. The only remnant left of it is the icon showing that a receiver is off screen down the field. You can throw to any skill player any time you wish by using their assigned button. This passing system neutralizes the speed of a MAN defender because he can't be downfield and covering checkdowns at the same time.

Here are the button mappings on the NES version:

HB=Select, FB=Start, WR1=B, WR2=A, and the TE=A+B

The button mappings for the SNES I version is as follows:

HB=A, FB=B, WR1=Y, WR2=X, and the TE=R

The button mappings for the SNES III version is:

HB=R, FB=A, WR1=B, WR2=X, and the TE=L

If you choose to change your lineup around, remember which spot you put your player so that you know which button it is to pass to him. And as a final note, to avoid a sack, if you blocking player is in a grapple, whether it be HB, FB, or TE, throw the ball to him so that it hit the ground incomplete. The is just as effective as throwing the ball away in real life.

"Madden Running" Hack(SNES TSBIII Only)

Running the ball is more exciting with MAN-controlled moves. When near a defender, press "A" to drag him, press "X" to hurdle him, or you can press "B" to spin off of him. The original dive move with "Y" is still in place. Pull off move combinations by hurdling the first guy, spin off of the next guy, then drag the guy after that. Make your own highlight reel!

2014 TB.org MDPASS.zip

2014 TB.org CUSDEF MDPASS.zip

SNES I MDPASS.zip

TSB3 MPASSRUN PBH.zip

Edited by xplozv

Tecmonster- RS and RP are not moot if you really lower the RP numbers. Especially on defense.... RS and RP are way more important than top speed. Sure you could make them MORE complete by making cuts more likely to cause slowdowns to RS on offense. 

Xplosv- I looked at the play the ball hacks. How tight is the timing window on this. On my simple inspection from my notes of the dissassembly in that area it looks like the timing window would be really tight and difficult unless "you held down A or B" when the ball was somewhat close but figuring out what the timing window exactly is is not trivial or at least not on my first pass. 

As far as the madden style passing not being able to press back with your qb makes it non-viable on NES for me personally. But for SNES that is pretty sick.  As well as the fact some of my other hacks use other  buttons as well on NES. if you could make it a combination of buttons that might work.Back + B for NES? 

Xplosv- I looked at the play the ball hacks. How tight is the timing window on this. On my simple inspection from my notes of the dissassembly in that area it looks like the timing window would be really tight and difficult unless "you held down A or B" when the ball was somewhat close but figuring out what the timing window exactly is is not trivial or at least not on my first pass.

As far as the madden style passing not being able to press back with your qb makes it non-viable on NES for me personally. But for SNES that is pretty sick. As well as the fact some of my other hacks use other buttons as well on NES. if you could make it a combination of buttons that might work.Back + B for NES?

I don't know the exact timing window of Jumping. I practiced with this for a few weeks before I decided to post this. I got feel on timing my jump window by pressing the A button rapidly before the ball got to my receiver. I do know you must jump right before the ball reaches you. That's how I got the feel for it. Now I just press once to jump. Diving has a much larger window. If the ball is in the air and you are in the area, you press B and you can dive well before the ball reaches its landing spot leaving you laying on the field waiting for the ball. Dive timing will take more getting used to for the avg player, mainly when on offense.

With the Madden-Style passing on the NES, I have tested many different button ideas and I came to 2 different conclusions. 1st go with QB drop by holding back which is what I posted or limited it to be a check down hack to the HB FB or TE. However, with 2nd option of checkdown hack, the community would have to choose which player because each of the 3 go out on routes as well as stay in to block.

Edited by xplozv

Tecmonster- RS and RP are not moot if you really lower the RP numbers. Especially on defense.... RS and RP are way more important than top speed. Sure you could make them MORE complete by making cuts more likely to cause slowdowns to RS on offense. 

As far as the madden style passing not being able to press back with your qb makes it non-viable on NES for me personally. But for SNES that is pretty sick.  As well as the fact some of my other hacks use other  buttons as well on NES. if you could make it a combination of buttons that might work.Back + B for NES? 

True, and that's why I lowered RP in my ratings, but if you think about, a 90 degree cut really SHOULD reset a player's speed, in my opinion.  In real-life, it's physically impossible to maintain anything remotely close to full speed during a 90 degree turn.

This is pretty mind blowing...tried a game vs com. Looks like I need to learn which player is where more thoroughly. Awesome though. What is with these defenses? Just curious what they're all about. I like the way it looks but i'm curious to know the details on it.

This is pretty mind blowing...tried a game vs com. Looks like I need to learn which player is where more thoroughly. Awesome though. What is with these defenses? Just curious what they're all about. I like the way it looks but i'm curious to know the details on it.

These defenses are from my old JBI4 Rom. 3-4, 3-3-5, 4-3, 4-2-5, 4-4, 5-2, 4-1-6, and 3-2-6. Refer to the info on the first page of JBI4 Special Edition thread. These were complex defenses and coverages with pre snap motions, showing n faking blitz etc.

As for madden passing, you must learn your team's playbook to know where your receiver are on each play.

I played a game. And my quick thoughts are Jumping up to catch a pass felt great. 8 ints between me n computer in our first game but maybe expected with learning curve. Without proper display it would take a while to see where all your players are in madden style.. Might be worth using start for a player cutter under or closest to scrimmage and select for player going long and arrow to cycle rest. Just an idea. Just great work x.

Or, if a button has to be assigned. How about one to wr 1 and another to your running back? Another idea I have is when a player blocks a pass, usually players will dive to catch the ball deflected ball without being allowed to catch it. It would be cool if the ball was alive. Not sure if this possible but thought I would but it out there.

Great Idea.  What about Up and B to throw to the top guy, Down and B to throw to the bottom guy, Right and B to throw to the TE back and B to throw to the RB and just B to throw to the FB?  This way you don't have to hit select or start to hit a target and A can be used to shake dudes off.

Routes don't always wind up vertically where they started from off the LOS.

Routes don't always wind up vertically where they started from off the LOS.

I don't think he's talking about player position during the play but instead player position presnap. I think this is an excellent idea. 8-bit total control passing!

But there are plays like the 4th passing window Hail Mary play where there isn't a FB, RB, TE necessarily..it's just a 5 wide set. Then there are the teams that have 3 WR and only 1 RB sets, and I've seen 4 WR and 1 RB sets in Drummer's new rom. Would have to do something like assign the directions to the players' positions from top-to-bottom during presnap in non-traditional formations.

Edited so I could check the follow this post box..

Edited by 4trevor

I don't think he's talking about player position during the play but instead player position presnap. I think this is an excellent idea. 8-bit total control passing!

Same problem still exists. I think you're missing my point. Once WRs run their routes, keeping track of where they wind up could be very difficult.

This sounds pretty awesome, I'll give it a shot when I get home.

Would it be possible to set TE to A+B instead of back? I feel like that kind of shafts mobile QBs a bit.

See first post for updated NES button mappings. I also cleaned up the code for SNES I version but kept its mapping. I also posted SNES III with both hacks as well.

I also have the "Madden Running" hack for TSB III. You have control of when you hurdle with X, drag with A, and spin with B, along with the original ability to dive with Y.

See first post for updated NES button mappings. I also cleaned up the code for SNES I version but kept its mapping. I also posted SNES III with both hacks as well.

I also have the "Madden Running" hack for TSB III. You have control of when you hurdle with X, drag with A, and spin with B, along with the original ability to dive with Y.

SO COOL.

I've encountered an odd bug with the SNES III rom.  In my first game, it would randomly award me a touchdown at the start of a play.  First time happened on a kick return; as i soon as i started to move, it said Touchdown!; also happened on a punt return and 2 run plays.  I'm not sure what exactly triggered it; when I try to duplicate it, I can't get it to.  A custom player was the ball carrier on all four occassions; haven't noticed it with any other players yet.

I've encountered an odd bug with the SNES III rom. In my first game, it would randomly award me a touchdown at the start of a play. First time happened on a kick return; as i soon as i started to move, it said Touchdown!; also happened on a punt return and 2 run plays. I'm not sure what exactly triggered it; when I try to duplicate it, I can't get it to. A custom player was the ball carrier on all four occassions; haven't noticed it with any other players yet.

Im working on this bug. It has something to do with the drag command. If you press whatever button is attached to the drag before the handoff, the game warps you to the endzone for a touchdown. Ill keep yall posted if I figure it out. Cause this is one of the coolest code hack to date.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...