Tecmonster's TSB 2014, final version available

Tecmonster

UPDATE: Tecmonster's TSB 2014 v2 attached.  It fixed a problem with the Oneback FlareA pass play.

UPDATE: Tecmonster's TSB 2014 v3 attached.  It fixed a problem with man vs. man grappling that fouled the game.  Had to delete the "minimum kickoff distance" hack to fix it so if you only play man vs. com, I would recommend keeping v2 because man vs. com grappling has always worked.

Here's a description of the game with hack authors in parenthesis:

-- Rosters, almost entirely, furnished by Knobbe and TB.org official rom staff

-- Player ratings converted from Madden25 ratings

-- Based on the "32-team base rom" (Maynard, Keithisgood, Jstout, Knobbe, many others no doubt), and can't forget cx_rom for designing the original 32-team rom

GRAPHICS

-- Field colors tweaked: pink changed to red and light blue changed to dark blue (keithisgood)

HACKS

-- COM Find Open Receiver: computer QB now tries to only throw to open receivers, instead of throwing it randomly (jstout)

-- COM Ultra Logic: computer calls your plays more often either by "looking" (cheating) or by using your most-called play (jstout)

-- various HP/Grapple hacks: to make every notch of HP important, and featuring bruddog's com vs. com dynamic HP hack that introduces more action at the line of scrimmage (jstout, bruddog)

-- Receiving Leaders ranked by yards instead of catches (jstout)

-- Attribute names changed: to more accurately describe what they do.  RS changed to Quickness; RP changed to Acceleration; MS changed to Speed; Quickness changed to Coverage

-- Easier FG's, especially for COM: computer has always just kicked randomly, so I narrowed the arrow range to increase its chances of hitting the FG, kept the arrow speed the same so that it wouldn't be too easy for the human and because arrow speed doesn't affect the com at all

-- Shorter FG distance: now, an 81/81 kicker should have be able to hit a 60 yard FG, maximum (partyman)

-- Increase kickoff ball speed: to give the kick returner a little more time to get his return going, since my player ratings are designed so that a ballcarrier won't start off at full speed now (maynard, bodom)

-- Increase minimum kickoff distance: ranges from the 20 yard line to 4 yards deep in the endzone (maynard, buck, xplozv)

-- FG blocking more difficult by reinforcing guards

-- Increased QB fumble rate: with the read option added, the QB can be a major threat in the running game now.  Real-life QB fumble rate is about 10%.  This hack, which sets a QB's Ball Control rating to the lowest in the game (6), translates to just over 7% fumble rate (jstout) 

-- Speed up handoff animations: makes play actions, and obviously handoffs, faster (xplozv)

-- Increase shotgun snap speed: by about 1.5x to help with timing of play action/handoff of read option, and to add just a little more time for the placekicker (jstout)

-- Pass Accuracy effects completion %: PC determines whether a pass is on-target, and PA helps determine whether it's caught, dropped, deflected, or intercepted (jstout)

-- Speed up diving animation: makes dive tackling a little more effective.  It helps a lot if you're controlling a DB and you plan to take down a decent HP running back. (xplozv)

-- Quickness = Coverage: Quickness rating changed to Coverage because it's now the defensive determining factor whether a defender deflects a pass to a covered receiver or not (jstout)

-- Kick & Punt Returners use actual speed (konforce, jstout)

-- Stats screen end of half: but not quarters (xplozv)

-- PLAYBOOKS! There are 11 different playbook configurations depending on the team's personnel.  Basic read option package added (thanks pambazos).  See TSBPlaybookPlan2014 file for complete description.  Couldn't have done any of this without TSBPlaybookEditor and TSBPlayMaker.  Buck, bruddog, and jstout helped me understand a lot.

Please let me know if I missed anyone.  Thanks to all hackers and tb.org.  Hope you enjoy the game.

Tecmonster

P.S. Some of the QB ratings in the roster file are a little off.  I changed some QB ratings after I assembled the roster file (decided to use the same conversion formula that I do for RB's regarding the three core speed metrics).

post-10763-0-15248700-1379523002_thumb.j

Tecmonster TSB 2014.zip

Tecmonster's TSB 2014 v3.nes

Edited by Tecmonster

pretty good thing.  a very good "start" on the plays, to be honest.  but they seem unfinished as there are pass plays where it seems like certain receivers are Never covered.  passing game is hairy to tweak, from my own experience. 

also, I suggest that the "read-option" set would work/look better if the QB carried out his fake running, instead of standing there staring at the RB.  

but again, it plays good - physics engine/hacks feel good.  keep up the good work and keep making the plays better/more complete.  if you need any help, let me know.  you have some good ideas.

Edited by buck

pretty good thing.  a very good "start" on the plays, to be honest.  but they seem unfinished as there are pass plays where it seems like certain receivers are Never covered.  passing game is hairy to tweak, from my own experience. 

also, I suggest that the "read-option" set would work/look better if the QB carried out his fake running, instead of standing there staring at the RB.  

but again, it plays good - physics engine/hacks feel good.  keep up the good work and keep making the plays better/more complete.  if you need any help, let me know.  you have some good ideas.

I actually didn't design any pass plays -- just used pre-existing ones but then changed the formation.  Well, with one exception, I added a TE angle out to the Oneback FlareA play. 

In fact, even the new run plays, except for the two read option plays, aren't really "new."  They're all the original Tecmo run plays but just placed into different formations.  I wanted to change as little as possible from the original playbook while adding as much as functionality as possible to it.

Are you thinking that the Zone Read QB L play isn't very effective, and that's why you think he should fake the handoff while running?  I thought about using a weaker defensive reaction set for that play, but ultimately decided against it.  Figured I'd wait to get feedback first.

I actually didn't design any pass plays -- just used pre-existing ones but then changed the formation.  Well, with one exception, I added a TE angle out to the Oneback FlareA play. 

In fact, even the new run plays, except for the two read option plays, aren't really "new."  They're all the original Tecmo run plays but just placed into different formations.  I wanted to change as little as possible from the original playbook while adding as much as functionality as possible to it.

Are you thinking that the Zone Read QB L play isn't very effective, and that's why you think he should fake the handoff while running?  I thought about using a weaker defensive reaction set for that play, but ultimately decided against it.  Figured I'd wait to get feedback first.

as far as the zone-read thing, I just think it would be more effective (maybe tricky) and look better if the QB kept running out his fake.

one thing I am referring to is using a pass play with multiple receivers against a defense designed to stop a flea-flicker with only 2 receivers.

Buck, maybe you can help with this because I just found a glitch with the one play I actually changed -- the Oneback Flare A.  After adding a route (the TE angle out), the top receiver is no longer a receiving option -- the cursor never appears over his head when toggling between receivers.  So, somewhere else, there is obviously some code that indicates that play only has three available receivers and I need to change that to four.  Hopefully it's that easy, right?

Buck, maybe you can help with this because I just found a glitch with the one play I actually changed -- the Oneback Flare A.  After adding a route (the TE angle out), the top receiver is no longer a receiving option -- the cursor never appears over his head when toggling between receivers.  So, somewhere else, there is obviously some code that indicates that play only has three available receivers and I need to change that to four.  Hopefully it's that easy, right?

the receivers codes are conflicting.  at the beginning of a "route" a receiver is given a number, these must be conflicting with the te/wr.

your options are to write new code (for either the TE or the conflicting WR) or find better code to swap out.

Edited by buck

if anymore updates are made I'm sure we'd all like to see the Richardson trade but as a Bengals fan i'd really like somebody to make Geno Atkins the NT not Domata Peko and Brandon Tate needs a slide speed boost otherwise perfect ROM, glad to see AP doesnt have Bo Jackson's overrated stats and Gio Bernard doesnt run slower than BJGE like on all the other versions

Thanks Mattro.  This is going to be my only game release (with the exception of any glitch fixes), and I used Madden ratings to calculate all the player attributes -- no manual overrides.  If you just want to change rosters and ratings though, you can do that easily with TSBToolSupreme, which is downloadable from this site.

Tecmo, i like what you did with this release.

2 quick items though...

Marcedes Lewis is known as a top 5 blocker (both pass and run) in the league.

Why such low HP (19)?

It should at least be 50.

His Madden ratings:

82 Str

70 Pbk

70 Rbk

Tyson Alulu is a 5 tech DE.

Jason Babin is the featured pass rusher.

The Jaguars are basically running the same defense as the Seahawks.

Their new HC was the Seahawks DC the last 3 years.

The Seahwks defense is correct with C.Clemons playing LB.

Babin plays the same role/position.

Thanks Mattro.  This is going to be my only game release (with the exception of any glitch fixes), and I used Madden ratings to calculate all the player attributes -- no manual overrides.  If you just want to change rosters and ratings though, you can do that easily with TSBToolSupreme, which is downloadable from this site.

I might have to try that out if it's not too hard, i'm working with a 5 year old HP laptop running Vista and i'm not real tech savy for being 23. biggest thing i've ever done is put cfw on my psp with a nes emulator which is what I play these roms on

alright I think I got the roster aspect of it down thanks again for the info, now if I can just figure out how to use your playbooks i'm doing a little mixing and matching between a few different roms. only other things i'd like to learn but are probably real difficult is editing the opening cutscenes and adding the hut hut hut hut............ back into the game

Edited by MattroBus

For hacking other parts of the game, you'll need to use a hex editor.  I've attached a copy of the one I use, called Translhextion.  Your most popular function in this is going to be the "Offset > Jump To...".  That's where you'll enter certain "offset values" that you'll find in the Hacking Directory here: http://tecmobowl.org/topic/9725-tsb-hacks-documentation-directory-updated-091013/

For instance, you might read in the Hacking Directory that to force the game to sort Receiving Leaders by yards instead of catches, you'll go to offset x304f1 and enter 09.  This means, in Translhextion, you'll select "Offset > Jump To..." and enter x304f1 in the field.  The program takes you to that exact spot, and then you'll simply enter 09 over the existing code (which is 08, I believe, in the original game).

Translhextion16c.zip

Edited by Tecmonster

I've copied your playbook onto Drummer's rom (like his rating style a little better, no offense) everything seems to work ok, only now in "Season" the read option does something crazy. My qb will run forward a bit, then invisiflip to the FB who is up near the sideline. The defense swarms where the QB was when he made the invisible flip, and I can run all the way down in a straight line until I score, the camera never leaving the LOS and the defenders continue swarming the spot where the QB "flipped it" from

*Edit: The opposite seemed to work, His roster onto your rom.

Edited by star5328

I don't really trust that "copy playbook" function in TSBPlayMaker.

That said, I did discover a major glitch where, during man vs. man grappling, the ball will fly out of the ballcarrier's hands in the middle of the grapple and land about 30 yards downfield, but nobody can pick it up.  Anyone know what the problem might be?  I'm going to take a hard look at my man vs. man grapple hacks today to see if I can fix it.  Maybe it's the man vs. man popcorning hack or something.

Should that tool then in theory include slot based defenses? I'm basically wanting JBI4 by xplosv's defenses and WR/TE/RB screens, Tecmonster's zone read running plays and just the hacks he's applied in general, only with Drummer's roster. To me that would be the ultimate rom for Man v Com seasons that my buddies and I play. I'm just not good enough at this stuff to do all that yet.