Use START instead of B button to throw lob passes

bruddog

This will work on 32 team rom provided no other hacks are occupying 2BFE0.

This hack works as follows:

Press b by itself: normal pass

Press start by itself: If QB pass speed is > 44 he can throw a lob pass at 44 PS

LET START BE USED TO THROW PASS AS WELL

SET 0x2912D   0x50 player 1 

SET 0x291D4   0x50 player 2   

JUMP  TO MY SERVICE ROUTINE IN THE MIDDLE OF LOFT/SPEED ROUTINE. NO OP OUT THE TAY BYTE. 

SET 0x2B2C1   0xE0 BF EA

RUN NORMAL INDEX ROUTINE. STORE RESULT IN X. IF INDEX IS LESS <06 NO LOB PASS POSSIBLE. ELSE CHECK FOR

START BUTTON. IF START BUTTON PRESSED SET SPEED/LOFT INDEX TO 44.  

SET 0X2BFF0  0X20AADDAAE007900C2008A12910C910D003A006608AA860

Other notes: a108 routine in the bank gets the player appropriate joypad data.

Change the bolded 07 to change what QB's can throw lob passes

Change the bolded 06 to change what speed the lob is thrown at

Much thanks to the jstout dissassembly document. This hack would have taken me MUCH MUCH longer without it. 

tpc_original_pass_loft_hack.nes

"Lowest Passing Arc Value" - Does this mean 6ps?

BTW, this is something you can do with TSB III by just tapping the pass button...something one might normally do only on accident.

Got this hack working for P1. I  just need to add the code to check for who has the ball so that it would work for P1 and P2 Will post the hack later.

Basically if you hold select while passing it will use the lowest passing arc value. 

Would there be a way to designate a particular PS 6-100 for each QB when holding Select?  That would be even more awesome.

"Lowest Passing Arc Value" - Does this mean 6ps?

BTW, this is something you can do with TSB III by just tapping the pass button...something one might normally do only on accident.

Yes, that means 6PS. That could be changed.  

Would there be a way to designate a particular PS 6-100 for each QB when holding Select?  That would be even more awesome.

Hmm. There could be. In the interest of space it might just be easier to lower the passing speed by X number of notches when holding select. 

Might as well, I would think. Basically if I have Marino I would want to use this at a time when I want to let the receiver have time to get downfield.

Ya that makes sense. On a side note. I could use the same method here to implement a "hold select" to reduce fumble chance that you asked about awhile back.Something like if presses < x and select button held reduce fumble chance by X or set fumble chance to X 

bump for update

awesome

This will work on 32 team rom provided no other hacks are occupying 2BFE0.

this conflicts with http://tecmobowl.org/topic/52877-changing-offensive-play-slots-pass-to-run-and-vice-versa/#entry344439 hack...the HP hack is also down there.

If the start of jstouts pass/run code could be moved over 3 bytes to the right (so that it starts at x2BFBE instead of 2BFBB).  but I'm not sure how easy it is to move this, probably needs updated by stout.

so, bruddog, this loft-code could theoretically fit in-between the HP Hack and the Run/Pass code.  if you started it at x2BFA7, instead of x2BFEO.

Edited by buck

Correct

so, can the start of your "routine code" at x2be0 be moved up to x2bfa7 without said "routine code" needing to be modified?  as long as the jump address is changed accordingly ? 

thanks

Edited by buck

• 6 months later...

hey bruddog you think you could apply this hack to a rom ive been working on and am about to release

attachicon.gifTecmo Super Bowl 2012-13UPGRD.nes

Just took a look at your rom and it contains this hack in that space specified already http://tecmobowl.org/topic/52877-changing-offensive-play-slots-pass-to-run-and-vice-versa/?p=344432 (the one mentioned earlier in the thread).

There doesn't seem to be much empty space in the workaround locations listed earlier either.