Possible to "swap" PC and PA?? (NES TSB)

buck

So, like many before me, I am looking to do a very simple "re-do" of 1990 TSB. 

as the NES TSB game works in it's natural unmodified state:  Pass Control (PC) is THEE QBs variable for how "on target" a pass is; and it also is the variable for whether a pass will be "completed or intercepted".  (Pass Accuracy (PA) does nothing, without a "hack").

I was considering the usual jstout PA hack - where PC is "target" and PA is "comp/int"...  

But I got to thinking - that it would make a guy like Elway TOO good.  look at his 1990 stats, off the top of my head - 15 td, 14 ints.  Anyways, that shouldn't deserve a 69 "completion/INT" variable!  

On to my point/question - I want to implement a version of the jstout "PA Hack"  - BUT-  "swap" the function of PC with PA for this hack ->  So that PC is the "completion/int variable" only and PA becomes "on target" only.  It seems like I've seen something discussed like this before (maybe bruddog talked about it?).

so, for the Elway example: he would now throw a 69 (pretty good) "on target" pass, but his "completion/INT" variable would stay the same at 31, which is pretty bad.

I suppose I could just physically swap (cut/paste) the attributes around in TOOL or something and do jstout's hack, but I wanted to keep the attributes looking the same.  So, how can that be swapped around behind the scenes in the ROM?

Anybody have ideas how to do it; and does it make sense within the original QB attributes to do this?

Edited by buck

I re-wrote some of the dialog of my 1st post to make things clearer, I hope.  

looking through the QBs, I believe this will be a subtle change for most QBs, because most will only differ by +/- a single notch.   some of the "best" QBs will not be affected at all (QB BILLS, Montana, moon)

but here are the starting QBs whose "on target" throws would be significantly affected by my suggested mod:

player ("on target" throw change)

boomer (56 to 69)

bernie (75 to 50)

bubby (25 to 56)

elway (31 to 69)

silver spoons (31 to 44)

harbaugh (25 to 56)

peete (44 to 31)

vinnie (56 to 44)

chris everett (63 to 50)

walsh (38 to 50)

Edited by buck

in summary, this hack is a combination of jstout's original "pass accuracy" hack (http://tecmobowl.org/topic/9494-nes-pc-and-pa/) and this little twist.  

Pass Control will now be the "completion/interception" variable and Pass Accuracy will now be "on target" ability variable.

or as jstout would say:

Pass Accuracy= Ability to throw on target
Pass Control = Ability to complete a pass

code:

At x29FEC:88        ;new "target" PA read ( replaces $87, PC)At x29E54:20 F7 9F   JSR $9FF7 ; Go to new "comp/int" variable read (PC)At x2A007:A0 87      LDY #$87 ; Read PC (was read PA)4C DD 9F   JMP $9FDD ; Go to Normal Code
Edited by buck

Big help.  Bruddog has written that it's possible to shift around the functions belonging/assigned to these different attributes: 

He said he'd lost the notes, but it'd be cool if anything could be posted on this.

Edit:  The link I'd intended to post is:  http://tecmobowl.org/topic/52872-new-base-nes-rom-w-authentic-nfl-experience-hacks/?hl=+experience%20+rom.

I thought I'd written out that I want to know how to combine "jj intercepted" with "completed/deflected/intercepted on non-dive or jump attempt with defender in coverage" in the redone PC rating.

Edited by quince3800

Definitely a career season by deberg with I'm sure a little luck. Only 4 ints is pretty amazing considering KC was also third in yards per completion and the WR's caught 65% of the passes so its not like he was just dumping it off. 

Strangely enough 3 of his interceptions on the season all came in one game vs the colts "awesome defense" that only managed 9 ints on the season. 

Deberg also threw 7! ints in a game vs SF 4 years earlier and finished with 5 TD's to 12 ints. LOL.

I've been through most of the TSB qb ratings and '90 stats for these qbs.  I think that PC as "comp" and PA as "target" is solid.  

In most cases, difference (from original, with no hack at all) is subtle.  The cases where there are more than 2 notches involved make sense to me.

thanks again, jstout.

Edited by buck