Tipped Ball INT

DeBerg

This is the most hilarious crap ever.

Season with the Pack Attack, Brett Favre goes down in the 2nd week. I have tortured with Majikowski for 4 weeks straight and go 1-3 in the process.

It's not even that he is not accurate in this game (6 INT vs Pittsburgh and still only lost by a fieldgoal) but however the tipped balls that get intercepted is just phenomenal.

I almost went 0-4 without Brett Favre, and my one win? Atlanta, after a miraculous come from behind 20 points to win. Trailing 27-7, I stormed a comeback and won 42-37. That was by far my hardest fought game of Tecmo Bowl ever and the only reason I was behind 20 points was 2 interceptions that were tipped balls and returned for touchdowns. Defense could not stop Atlanta until late in the 3rd quarter when I got extremely lucky with Miller throwing an interception. GB's defense is garbage without Reggie White (1992 season) so I easily gave up 450 yards in that game, so it's not like the tipped balls themselves were the only thing causing the bleeding.

After storming this come back I won the game with an 80 yard bomb in the closing 6 seconds to Sterling Sharpe. It was one of the few times I had a hail mary win the game for me, but after storming that come back it meant more to me than any other game.

Another thing about tipped ball interceptions is that it don't seen you can tip them in the secondary and catch them. I have tipped passes down the side for WR's time and time again and no one ever catches them. A tipped ball by a linebacker is 50/50 going to be tipped in their hands. An all out blitz sack and you try to throw it before taking the sack, it is almost always intercepted in this game. I've come to the point I'll just take the sack and risk a fumble instead of throwing a pass to avoid the sack and getting it picked off and returned for a TD. However what's worse than this is the guy in the coverage defending you, the linebacker in front of you that pats the ball in the air and then catches it. The one guy that gets victimized the most by this is Jim Everett with all those playaction passes where he's rolling to the right or left. This has happened to me countless times using Hostler and Simms playing with the Giants too.

I don't know how many times I've done this to playing the more average to worse QB's in this game. I did it Rypien twice in one game. Chris Chandler threw 5 picks against me with the Saints, and 3 of them were tipped balls to Sam Mills and Pat Swilling. Rarely ever have it happen to the top tier QB's in the game (Marino, Young, Moon, Aikman, etc)

Edited by DeBerg

Happened to me in a league PLAYOFF game in TSB (NES). 56PC QB to 63REC WR on a deep ball, tipped by WR then intercepted. It ended up costing me the game as my opponent got a long ball JJ within the last minute and a half and took the lead with no time left (letting him score after that, I take responsibility for).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Happened to me in a league PLAYOFF game in TSB (NES). 56PC QB to 63REC WR on a deep ball, tipped by WR then intercepted. It ended up costing me the game as my opponent got a long ball JJ within the last minute and a half and took the lead with no time left (letting him score after that, I take responsibility for).

Dude that has to suck big time!!! I had one happen to me in the playoffs too. Tipped pass on Brett Favre ends up in the hands of Vikings LB Merriweather and returned 94 yards for a touchdown. Vikings won the game on that, it was a nail biter and that screwed me in the 4th.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

UPDATE: Just wanted to expand on this. 

You can actually catch the tipped balls as a defensive player. 

it's very tricky, but the main key to getting a tipped ball caught from a pass rush is to remain perfectly still once the ball is in the air. If it's batted and bounces down, only the players who remain perfectly still have a 50/50 shot of catching it. 

I really, really wish I had Fraps or some recording software cause I would record this stuff as footage as proof and show how it's done. This game is truly awesome...after years of playing it, it's my favorite Tecmo and I've uncovered so much cool stuff in it. 

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I don't know if you can hack it into TSB III. Would be interesting if possible. 

The trick to intercepting tipped balls is that the player must be perfectly idle. Once the ball is up in the air, the player can't move. 

I learned that it's possible to catch them, but you have a 50/50 chance of the tipped ball landing where your player is standing. It really comes down to luck and chance. I've had it successfully happen a number of times, but it's not something you can do on every single tipped pass cause you don't know where the ball is going to land. So again, it's a 50/50 chance of success or not. I've had the ball fall incomplete just by being a pixel off from where my player was standing. 

It's also possible for WRs to catch tipped balls, as a post I made years ago. The same thing applies here though; the WR must have ended his route and has to be standing perfectly idle. 

This game is wonderful for the little stuff like this. Tipped passes becoming INTs are one of the random things that can completely alter a match in a way that no other Tecmo game can.

• 4 years later...

This is on my to do wishlist.  I would love to find the coding for this in TSBII and add it into TSB3 or TSB4 (our almost completed revision of TSB3)

This and add the ability to have blocking work like the drag from the game.  Where when a block happens, the player who wins will sometimes just push the other guy.