Centralia, WA - 6/30/13 - The 2nd Annual Pacific Northwest Tecmo Championship (PNWTC-2)

manYo

Jumping Jackass Productions presents.....

The Second Annual Pacific Northwest Tecmo Championship (PNWTC-2)
Centralia, WA -- June 30, 2013

WHAT -- The 2nd annual Pacific Northwest Tecmo Championship (PNWTC-2)… we’ll be playing Tecmo Super Bowl on the NES!

WHEN -- Sunday, June 30, 2013 -- doors open at 9:00 am, with tournament starting sharply at 10:00 am and lasting until evening (6 pm-ish).

WHERE -- Centralia, WA, at O'Blarney's Irish Pub (221 North Tower Avenue).  If you are traveling from a distance I would recommend staying in The McMenamin's Olympic Club Hotel (112 N. Tower Ave), which is one block down the street.  The Olympic Club is also right across the street from the train station, so those traveling from north or south might want to look into traveling by Amtrak.  A quick look at the time tables shows some trains that arrive before the tournament begins, and leave when the tournament is over, on that same day.  Would be a great opportunity to bring your laptop and practice up (or down) on the way to Centralia as well as have a safe and easy way to get home that night as well.  Also, the Tournament Director (Manyo) wouldn't mind hosting a Tecmo get-together on Saturday evening, for any that are interested, as well as some more action afterwards on Sunday night.  One thing's for sure, if Randy wins this thing again, then at the very least a few of us will need some strong drink; then again, even if he doesn't. 

WHO -- This tournament will max-out at 16 fun-loving tecmo fiends.

$$$ -- $20 buy-in.....  (paypal: [email protected])

PRIZES -- All buy-in monies (minus the cost of the PNW Medals) go to the top 3 in the tournament (60/25/15%).

RULES AND PROCEDURES: For more information on rules and procedures, go to PNWTC INFO.  You can find a Roster and Player Map here as well.  Also, in a new twist, teams will be determined before each game through a dice roll, and you can get more info on that here: PNWTC Matchups.

HOW TO REGISTER:  Register here.  Then, pay $20 via paypal to [email protected] by June 1st to guarantee entry.  Any other questions, e-mail us at: [email protected].

If you can't make it on Game Day, then follow all the action right here at PNW LIVE!

SOME OF THE CHANGES IN FORMAT AND RULES FOR THIS YEAR INCLUDES:

FORMAT -- The Tournament will proceed as follows:

• REGULAR SEASON: The tournament will begin with a round-robin tournament, "swiss-style."  For the first round, the field will be loosely seeded by the tournament director, and in "swiss-style" fashion, each round thereafter will be determined by the results up to that point in time.  So, in effect, winners play winners, losers play losers, etc., the goal being to match-up similar players based on results thus far.  You get 1 point for each victory, a half-point for ties (yes, ties will be allowed in this portion of the tournament only), and in the end, the tiebreakers would be (in order): (1) total points of your opponents, throwing out the top and low scores; then (2) head-to-head; and then, if still tied, (3) original seeding.  The goal is to complete 4 rounds in this fashion, or more if time permits, and the end-result will see the entire field seeded from #1--#? for the PLAYOFFS.....
  • PLAYOFFS: The PNWTC Road to the Super Bowl will consist of all entrants seeded in a double-elimination bracket-style tournament.  From this point on, the tournament will proceed until only a champion remains.  Cash prizes go to the top 4, and PNW Medals go to the top 3 (gold/silver/bronze)...... GOOD LUCK!

RULES -- 1. Team and Controller Selection: All games in this tournament will consist of one of the 36 predetermined PNWTC Matchups.  No other match-ups are allowed.  If players cannot mutually agree on the matchup or teams, then they can roll the dice located at each of the TV stations, as follows:

• MATCH-UP ROLL: Each player rolls one of the dice located at each of the TV game stations.  The top player on the bracket is considered "Die #1," and the bottom player on the bracket is "Die #2."  The result of the dice roll (using the combo of the two dice, in order: #1/#2) will correspond to one of the 36 predetermined matchups (see the matchups here: PNWTC Matchups).  VETO RULE: If BOTH players consent, they may re-roll for a new match-up.  CHOICE RULE: If BOTH players consent, they may choose one of the 36 predetermined match-ups.
  • TEAMS ROLL: Then, the players roll again, and the player with the HIGHEST NUMBER (roll again to break ties) gets their choice of either TEAM or CONTROLLER-SIDE.  If they choose team, the other player chooses their controller-side; if they choose controller-side, the other player chooses their team.  CHOICE RULE: Once the matchup has been determined, players may choose their respective teams if there is mutual agreement by both players.  In that event, they would roll for controller-side (highest number chooses controller-side).

For more details and a complete list of rules and procedures, visit.....

pnwtecmo.com

Edited by manYo

Well, we got 12 people signed up so far.  Not everyone has signed up officially through the website, but all these have indicated to me at some point they are going (altho Randy is a "maybe" right now, :( ).  I'm pushing hard this year for 32, so get the word out please, if you can.  I'll send a flyer out soon for that purpose.  I'll tell you what, if we can ever get 32 solid, I'll hustle to get a live Tecmo player to attend our event..... Dave Wyman or Warren Moon come to mind as possibilities.

1. Joe M. (Manyo)
  2. Stuart R. (Boogiewithstu)
  3. Joseph B. (Joey B.)
  4. Matt G. (gripsmoke)
  5. Craig B. (Kamphuna)
  6. Kyle R. (InvaderStar)
  7. Teddy B. (SirTed)
  8. Rudy M. (TailbackKing)
  9. (GoalLineLandMine)
  10. (ChalkyWhite)
  11. Jake H. (BigVerne)
  12. Derek L. (gonickmontana)
  13. Matt F. (ballsdeep)
Edited by manYo

Super stoked for this!

Thinking about taking the train down and staying at the Olympic Club. Has anybody stayed there before? Thought it might be kinda cool to bring the wife or something - but the room booking page says:

"While in your room, you may hear the sound from the movie theater or of trains rolling through the night on the nearby tracks, the site of many a bootlegging adventure back in the day! However, complimentary earplugs are provided in the rooms for our guests' comfort."

Is it really that loud?

Sheeeeeeiiiiiiiiiit. Maybe I'd be better off flying solo, maybe hook up with a Tecmo groupie...they have those, right?

Super stoked for this!

Thinking about taking the train down and staying at the Olympic Club. Has anybody stayed there before? Thought it might be kinda cool to bring the wife or something - but the room booking page says:

"While in your room, you may hear the sound from the movie theater or of trains rolling through the night on the nearby tracks, the site of many a bootlegging adventure back in the day! However, complimentary earplugs are provided in the rooms for our guests' comfort."

Is it really that loud?

Sheeeeeeiiiiiiiiiit. Maybe I'd be better off flying solo, maybe hook up with a Tecmo groupie...they have those, right?

Well I've never stayed there overnight, but I've "hung out" in the hotel rooms a few times plus they give my students a tour of the hotel every spring so I've seen a lot of the rooms close up.  It's got a lot of cool history behind it, and a few ghost stories (you should ask for the haunted room if yr up for it).  The Oly Club Hotel aint a Holiday Inn though, McMenamin's focus is to maintain the historical feel.  As for noise, not all of the rooms are above the theater (I'm 90% sure on that).  But the theater's not a late night place anyway, maybe movies are done at 11:00 at the latest?  The trains though, that's a different story.  I don't think it would be THAT loud, really, but there are a few night trains that run by.  It's never bothered me the few times I've passed out near the tracks.... which is the ticket really, just drink enough at the bar downstairs so that you stumble to yr room and sleep like a babe ( ;-) ). 

LOL, tecmo groupies in centralia...... for sure there's a lot of toothless chip shots around town (more fish in the bottom of the barrel, as they say), but beware of catching the CC (Centralia Clap)!  If you do bring your chick though, also beware there's lots of shopping around that part of town, antique stores, bunch of other stores I don't really pay attention to. 

PS---Got confirmation the tourney will be held at O'Blarney's, which is about 150 yards down the street from Oly Club and the train station.

Edited by manYo

Well I've never stayed there overnight, but I've "hung out" in the hotel rooms a few times plus they give my students a tour of the hotel every spring so I've seen a lot of the rooms close up.  It's got a lot of cool history behind it, and a few ghost stories (you should ask for the haunted room if yr up for it).  The Oly Club Hotel aint a Holiday Inn though, McMenamin's focus is to maintain the historical feel.  As for noise, not all of the rooms are above the theater (I'm 90% sure on that).  But the theater's not a late night place anyway, maybe movies are done at 11:00 at the latest?  The trains though, that's a different story.  I don't think it would be THAT loud, really, but there are a few night trains that run by.  It's never bothered me the few times I've passed out near the tracks.... which is the ticket really, just drink enough at the bar downstairs so that you stumble to yr room and sleep like a babe ( ;-) ). 

LOL, tecmo groupies in centralia...... for sure there's a lot of toothless chip shots around town (more fish in the bottom of the barrel, as they say), but beware of catching the CC (Centralia Clap)!  If you do bring your chick though, also beware there's lots of shopping around that part of town, antique stores, bunch of other stores I don't really pay attention to. 

PS---Got confirmation the tourney will be held at O'Blarney's, which is about 150 yards down the street from Oly Club and the train station.

Holy $#!t...Ha hA Ha!!!!!!!!  "TOOTHLESS CHIPSHOTS"..........I'm definitly stealing that!!!

{p.s.   Manyo........PM me.  I got to ask you somthin' about the payment prosess.....Sir Ted will vouch that I'm good 4 it}

Edited by ~Tailback King~

I believe we've arrived at the 36 matchups available for this year's tourney.  A few might change over the next few weeks, if I get feedback that convinces me to change.... but otherwise fairly solid.  The Google Doc version shows how many times each team is represented, and you can print your own copy as well..... and that is right here: PNWTC Matchups.

TO DETERMINE TEAMS AND CONTROLLER-SIDES: Each player rolls one of the dice located at each of the TV game stations.  The top player on the bracket is considered "Die #1," and the bottom player on the bracket is "Die #2."  The result of the dice roll (using the combo of the two dice, in order: #1/#2) will correspond to one of the 36 predetermined matchups below.  Then, the players roll again, and the player with the HIGHEST NUMBER (roll again to break ties) gets their choice of either TEAM or CONTROLLER-SIDE.  If they choose team, the other player chooses their controller-side; if they choose controller-side, the other player chooses their team.

Untitled_zpsa9e033ba.png

HOLD ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Does this mean I won't be able to use Johnny Johnson???

I'll play you side games Dal vs Phx for pride. Always and forever. And I'll bring my PL88MAKER jersey this time. (No coke)

Yeah I don't see why not, if they both veto... is that what you meant?

I was thinking each player would have a pool of vetoes, like timeouts. So if they don't want any part of IND/NE they could veto it, regardless if the other player wants to do it. Since they only get three total, they could blow it all on one bad set of rolls or use them sparingly. It wouldn't really slow the tournament down much, since it would be a simple re-roll to determine the match again.

what if each player got like one or two Veto Tokens before the tourney, allowing them a matchup re-roll each time they wanted to use one.... and maybe the opponent gets to keep the token whenever it's used against them, so that people can stockpile them up if they want, or burn them if they want....... is that crazy talk?

what if each player got like one or two Veto Tokens before the tourney, allowing them a matchup re-roll each time they wanted to use one.... and maybe the opponent gets to keep the token whenever it's used against them, so that people can stockpile them up if they want, or burn them if they want....... is that crazy talk?

I'm gonna need about ten token's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Yo!

I love this token idea!