Fairfield, OH - 07/27/13 - 2013 Midwest Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament

vogtcd11

First and foremost, Chris (and others involved), thanks for making this event happen. Tecmo tournaments are tons of work to make happen, and I can't stress enough how much I appreciate the effort. The work always go undervalued, and it's great to see that your passion continues with these tournaments.

With regard to the guys who come to these tournaments, it's great to see that the community is so open to having a good time. Almost all of us that show up to the tournament lose graciously, and it's great to see (almost all) guys stick around even after being eliminated. 

I had a blast (despite my inability to remember overtime rules  :cry:), and I can't wait for the next tournament!

i still can't believe after all of this time that people are bitching about tapping faster and how the original rom is set up.  tapping doesn't win tecmo games. the fear of being outtapped wins tecmo games.  I will refer to my game against regulator.  regulator is the best tapper in the world and I held his running game in check the entire game.  i recall he scored on two bomb passes at the end of each half to win.  but the fact he could out tap me every time didn't stop me from running the ball.  heck.  i got my td running and i was one on one with him in the backfield but i managed to use my brain to think of a way to stay alive till help came.  it came, he got blocked and i ran for a td. 

Its all fear and lack of practice whenever you get outtapped.  If your really a good player then you should rarely get in the situation where you are one on one with the better tapper and with no options.  even if it means giving 10 more yards while the drones come down the field then give up 10 yards.  you might have to adjust how you play, what plays you call and use.  Be creative on getting help if enough help isn't coming.  but please start being a man, grow a pair and admit just because one guy taps better it does not give you the right to act like a little girl.

i still can't believe after all of this time that people are bitching about tapping faster and how the original rom is set up.  tapping doesn't win tecmo games. the fear of being outtapped wins tecmo games.  I will refer to my game against regulator.  regulator is the best tapper in the world and I held his running game in check the entire game.  i recall he scored on two bomb passes at the end of each half to win.  but the fact he could out tap me every time didn't stop me from running the ball.  heck.  i got my td running and i was one on one with him in the backfield but i managed to use my brain to think of a way to stay alive till help came.  it came, he got blocked and i ran for a td. 

Its all fear and lack of practice whenever you get outtapped.  If your really a good player then you should rarely get in the situation where you are one on one with the better tapper and with no options.  even if it means giving 10 more yards while the drones come down the field then give up 10 yards.  you might have to adjust how you play, what plays you call and use.  Be creative on getting help if enough help isn't coming.  but please start being a man, grow a pair and admit just because one guy taps better it does not give you the right to act like a little girl.

u can refer to this post about ur tapping theories   http://tecmobowl.org/topic/55586-i-finally-realize-now-about-grapples/

that's also called shit happens.  wait for two guys, try to get him to run into a drone so you can dive, try to set the matchup with a slower back so winning doesn't result in bigger plays and if all else fails try again and hope next time it will work.  i find if you stick at it people get defensive and try to avoid you hoping to make the one on one, you can get them to turn around hoping for better and help comes more often than not.

the problem is you want a perfect way to stop somebody and that is not out there.  in tecmo techniques fail. something might work 9/10 times but that one time can burn you,  i watch real games and there are missed tackles.  and not just when adrian peterson has the ball.  the reality is in life and tecmo things don't always work.  some of us move on and learn from it.  others whine, pull up random posts and complain instead of trying to improve. 

Madison has been on my list since I first heard about it in 2011. The wife is on board with that. Seeing the great work that is the mwtecmo makes me think that also needs to be on my list. Sounds like an absolute blast. Tecmo is tecmo in all of its iterations. Gats don't speak for me I still love me og rom tecmo. Shoot I love all of it. Gats has been to a live tourney before. So has randy.

All in all great tourney.

I called HOU/GIA and he took GIA.  I actually felt I had a good game play-calling wise on D, but every time he needed a big play or got his play called on 3rd/4th down he was able to convert.  I was down 14-7 getting the ball at half, but he got a stop on my first drive.  Was 28-14 and I scored on the last play.  Better results than what I've had playing him with middle/bad teams. 

I was pretty happy with the way I played all day.  Lost to Chet in the BOTB 21-16 with the same match-up (big play was a blocked PAT by LT that kept it 14-13, then the next TD put him up two scores).  Had a very good game in the round of 32 vs. suicideking (WAS vs. MIN) that went to OT.  I got a drone pick from Bowles to get the ball back and scored a TD to survive that one.  He had converted a nice 4th and 9 at the end of the game to send it to OT. 

It was a very fun day and a very well-run tournament (as was the one I attended two years ago).  Meeting Fulcher was a treat; he was very friendly, was there for a long time, and took the time to talk with everyone who approached him .  He drew the match-ups for the BOTB thing, so I told him I liked him less for putting me against Chet.  He responded by saying I deserved it for wearing a Steelers jersey, or something like that.  The championship game lived up to the hype.  Just a very fun day all around.

Great game we had Toolie, I dreamt about that INT on the plane ride home.......LOL. But you are a super awesome guy and enjoyed the tournament and all of the guys there. By far the best tournament I have very been a part of. There is no way to get that type of experience playing online or watching the live feeds. Glad to have went and will go back tomorrow if it were possible for that to happen.

I've played online 1 game in my life and it was ehhh just okay. It seems fun and all, but I don't see how it can be even close to as much fun as playing in a live tourney. A true champion of Tecmo Super Bowl can only be crowned in live competition. I don't see it any other way.

MidWest VI was a lot of fun. It was quite cool getting to meet all of the top Dawgs in Tecmo Land. I got to play and lose to Mort and got my ass kicked by Regulator in the tournament, who knocked me out in the sweet 16, hang out w/ some cool dudes in their 80's van in the parking lot, met the Vogt brothers and the Holzbauer brothers, and kicked it w/ Fulcher. Everyone was respectful and welcoming. The competition was the best I've seen and def lived up to my expectations. It was great meeting these folks and look forward to my 1st trip to TECMO X in Madison in 2014.

During the Chet vs M. Miller game, the comments from the guy taking bets was priceless.

TecmoDell, you need to post that pic on here of that guy holding the $$$....

Ask and you shall receive...

FlowithTtakingourmoney_zps6f383378.jpg

From left to right, T, Flo, Morris.

T was talking smack all afternoon about Flo losing to "a 37 seed (Morris)."  That's where it all began for T, as he let his presence be felt among the Tecmo participants.  We began setting lines for each matchup in the Elite 8, through the BigMv/Regulator finale.  He had already been making bets with Flo, prior to the Elite 8, and was dominant.  T brought a roughly estimated, 12-0 record into the final matchup for all of the marbles.  Regulator was inserted as a 2 pt. favorite against BigMv.  T lost that final bet to a few of us, as BigMv wins 6-3 in overtime - at a hiked rate in comparison to the $1 bets throughout, and lost $5 a piece to a handful of guys.  T still walked away a winner on the day, and a crowd favorite at MW Tecmo VI.

A big thank you to Chris Vogt, and AJ Fullam, for everything they did to put this tournament together.  Excellent work gentleman.  This was my first MW Tecmo, and it certainly will not be my last!

Edited by brodell

Flo Past Twiiter Quotes....................................................

This

"The plaza. Tecmo heaven. Sobriety sucks. #tecmoix #backtomyroots #flostillsuckswithtags #imthebesttecmoerever"

$100 to anybody who can beat me in street Tecmo #tecmoix #icantletthisshitgo #soreloser

Someone won the tournament. I've been undefeated in garbage Tecmo since I've been eliminated. #tecmoix #sourgrapes

Tournament over. Someone beside me won. Fuck him. #TecmoVIII

Final four. None of them are me. Who cares #TecmoVIII

Tired from waiting for my next game. $4 vodka redbulls to the rescue. #TecmoVIII

anclub 3 Mar 12

I'm getting married at a Tecmo tournament. #TecmoVIII

It was fun. Smoked through my pool play. Was still drunk from working a festival the day before. Ugh, just cannot get started early on my drinking. Was glad to see big bro run through the tourney onto his honeymoon. Lol.... ask Derek R. how his saturday night went after the tourney. I bet you he is in love with "sunkist" now. LMFAO. Thank you for those bro! 

Chris, I apologize for whatever role I played in derailing this thread. We should be celebrating what was another fantastic event. I hope these tournaments continue long after I leave the Tecmo scene.  

No need to apologize, bud. What you said spoke well and represented every single one of the 56 guys -- and 4 gals -- who joined in on a great day. I can only hope that MWTecmoVII will replicate itself in the future in terms of the camaraderie displayed. Fun. F. U. N.

Again such an awesome tournament Chris.  A big thank you to both you and Mr. Fullam for producing such a great show!  Bravo.  Can't wait 'til the next one!

For those who may have cared to know how my day went:

Pool play went pretty well.  Game 1 was v.s. Kevin Carrabello, a very solid player, whose girlfriend had just won the ladies tournament!

He had just taken Mort to the wire in a NYG/HOU matchup the weekend prior in Youngstown.  I won my first four coin tosses, which sucks.  I believe that improves my coin toss record in group play to, 13-2, which is never terrific for a great pt. differential - in reference to bracket seedings.  Went onto win this one, including the other two group play games, to go 3-0.  Encompassing the 6 major events that I've attended, despite an unbeaten group play record (18-0), I don't believe I've earned a BYE in any of the 6, and this one was no different.

In between group play and the bracket/single elimination portion of the tournament, I got the chance to meet David Fulcher.  What a great dude!  He also gave an awesome speech to the Tecmoers on hand, and helped raise awareness and funds for the David Fulcher Foundation (MS). 

davidfulcherMWTecmoVI_zps010a098e.jpg

#MWTecmoVI, Round of 64, (1:11 mark on video, at twitch.tv/mwtecmo )

@tecmodell42 (RAI) v. Ken Brunner (NYG)

I obtain best non-bye seed available as 9th overall seed, v.s 56th seeded and upset minded, Ken.  Chris Vogt's best man, who claims he

hadn't taken a Tecmo snap until that morning.  He must have learned something from his 70-0 white washing at the hands of Regulator in pool play,

because he already showed signs of being a very experienced player in this contest.

Ken and NYG get quick 3 and out of tecmodell/RAI.  Open game w/FG.

Schroeder misses Graddy on a cut screen whif at the half, on a JJ at the 2 yard line, for INT.

Bavaro, and OJ Anderson CC me, on drive, for go ahead score, 10-7, NYG.

Gutsy call, and toss, down 3, with 4:00 to go, 4th and 1, calling play w/out hesitation.  Beurlein finds Bo on long ball, wide open, diver in EZ.

to regain lead, 14-10.

Baker and Ingram both CC their way down to about the 30 yard line, w/key 4th down scramble from Simms to keep chains moving.

However, Simms has one of his many plays called, finally INTs QB.

Gault ices it late, 21-10 victory over a pretty darn solid player by the end of the day, Ken Brunner.

#MWTecmoVI, Round of 32, (2:36-ish mark of video: twitch.tv/mwtecmo )

@tecmodell42 (NYG) v. @513boy4life (RAI)

Finally lose a coin toss, but what does the youngest Vogt do - calls the same exact matchup I had just played.

I took the most likely CC-able team away from him, as noticed in my prior game - and take the Giants.

NYG open game with score, 7-0.

LT blocks FG, Jaeger picks up for first after LT continually runs through kicker/as blocker, as if he were a ghost.

Not taking advantage of 1st and goal, with less than a minute to go in 1st half.

Possibly playing coy with endzone, trying to 'eat out' clock perhaps. Know your opponent, Schroeder can't JJ anyway!

Result = Fumble, T.O.  7-7, HT.

Not taking advantage of the fortune of a pick six from Myron Guyton to open the 2nd half!

Winning OT toss, for 3rd straight major tournament, single elim. (0-2 in previous 2, jimmyb, arncoem).

Ball security in O.T. is clearly something I need to work on...

After a big Meggett run gets us into RAI territory, Raiders get a called play.  Not taking the shorter/safer/open route

to RB, pass 2 curl, instead fire long on the curl.  Result - long ball, well overthrown, INT E.Anderson.

Nick puts together a nice drive, including a collasal perfectly thrown misfire, with Reasons trailing in coverage perfectly, for the what likely would have been an INT of Schroeder.

Hits chippy GW with just over a minute to play in OT1.

Hold @513boy4life w/Bo and the Raiders to just 107 yds, on 24 carries (4.46 a pop).  

Outstatted RAI, 314-218, and 12 1st dwn, to 8.

Not a great hand dealt in either one of these contests, but I played a good, young player in Joey Vogt, and when a guy like

him gets the breaks, it's anyone's game.  A pair of great games, and lengthy recaps!  Don't get used to it, because you likely won't see such a detailed account in the future.  These two just both happened to have been streamed.

The loss continues this unbelievable streak of late game misfortune for my clubs at these major tournaments...

Going up 14 to close out 3rd quarter against Troy Hansen.  He gets up, shakes my hand, and says GG (conceding victory).  Long drive, and QB Browns INT, forces OT.  Hansen/Jets win toss, takes up over 4:00 of OT, and Leahy boots the GW. (Madison, 2010: Sweet 16).

Losing to Jimmy B, on Johnny Johnson fumble to end regulation inside 15 YL, and again in overtime in Elite 8.  Jimmy B goes onto win title. (Madison, 2011: Elite :cool:

Losing again to Troy Hansen, on final minute Marino dagger, over my beloved Lions, 17-13. (Madison, 2012: Sweet 16).

Randomly drawing Regulator, an unheard of two straight times at the Tecmo Kumite, once blowing a two score lead (Kumite, 2013)

Losing to Arncoem in OT, in a grueling IND/NE matchup, that saw an easy dump off over the middle turn into QB misthrow, drone LB INT. (Madison, 2013: Rd. of 32)

These tournaments are so much fun, but if the gods could ever shine down upon thee, it would make me that much more of a happier individual!

Back to #MWTecmo...

O'Toole beat suicideking in another OT thriller in the rd. of 32, WAS over MIN.

He then took down Nick Vogt in the rd. of 16, DET over TB.

In the first official handicapped game via O'Dell/T, installing Regulator's Giants as a 6' pt. favorite over Toolie and the Oilers.

What is with all of these RAI/HOU/NYG matchups!?  It certainly was a theme of the day!

O'Toole fought hard, but in the end, as he has many times, Regulator moves on, covering the spread by a half point.

The crowd's most hated, and/or most adored character, "T" went on to crush the competition, winning his first 6 games against the spread!

FlowithTtakingourmoney_zps6f383378.jpg

Left to right: T, Flo, Morris.  A disappointed Flo anguishes his point spread defeat to T, including the constant clowning in regards to Flo, losing to the 37th seed.

T finally did lose however, in the finale, as his 2 pt. favorite Regulator was downed by BigMV in the PIT/DAL championship game, 6-3!

Follow me on twitter @tecmodell42 for other matchup/tournament details from #MWTecmoVI !

See everyone at the TBA, Detroit's Tecmo Kumite II, in January '14!

Edited by brodell

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know where to begin.  Vin, you're an asshole.  Learn to have a little fun sometimes Methuselah.

Sounds like Brad is having fun now huh? http://tecmobowl.org/topic/56713-rd-1-draft-recap-brought-to-you-by-brad-and-randy/#entry376945

Hes seems pretty pissed now. Trust me Randy laughing loudest now and Brad hates being on the other end of the joke. Did he really think Randy wasn't going burn him? Silly.. Totally staying away from live tournaments when you got this stuff happening..