Feedback on new project: tecmogeek.com

tecmo_geek

Hey everyone,

This past weekend I launched http://tecmogeek.com/ a project I've been working on for the past few months.

My goal was to do better ranking and visualization of player attributes. I spent a good amount of time reading various posts and guides across the internet which helped me get a handle on the nuances of the game, such as the uselessness of the Quickness attribute. I want tecmogeek.com to reflect what I've learned and inspire deeper investigation into other aspects of the game.

One of the things I'd love feedback on is the ranking strategy I used, which I explain here: http://tecmogeek.com/about/rankings/

It got a bit tricky figuring out details, such as how much to weight Hitting Power and Running Speed for rushers. I definitely thought hard about whether I was right to rate Jerry Rice a better rusher than Bo.

I have ideas for where to go next (detailed breakdowns of plays, team rankings, etc) but would love feedback on what I've got so far.

Edited by tecmogeek.com

Hit power means jack squat on original unless high enough to popcorn drones.

RS matters a little but not much, definitely not enough to make Rice a better rusher than Bo.

Think if it this way...Okoye is worth about the same as Emmitt Smith depending on who you ask.

True, one use of Hitting Power is to popcorn a defender. But for offensive players, it's also used to prevent yourself from getting flattened by a defender with no chance to grapple and potentially break the tackle. So, from that perspective, any additional HP above the minimum is useful.

RS matters a little but not much, definitely not enough to make Rice a better rusher than Bo.

I rank Rice a better rusher than Bo not because of the slightly higher RS, but because of his dramatically higher REC. Yes, the primary goal of any RB is to run, but RBs are very useful in the passing game, especially in situations where there is tight coverage on WRs. So while REC is not valued very highly for rushers, is does get factored in within my system.

Think if it this way...Okoye is worth about the same as Emmitt Smith depending on who you ask.

Yeah, I think he would need more than a notch of RS to make up for a notch of MS

Hey everyone,

This past weekend I launched http://tecmogeek.com/ a project I've been working on for the past few months.

My goal was to do better ranking and visualization of player attributes. I spent a good amount of time reading various posts and guides across the internet which helped me get a handle on the nuances of the game, such as the uselessness of the Quickness attribute. I want tecmogeek.com to reflect what I've learned and inspire deeper investigation into other aspects of the game.

One of the things I'd love feedback on is the ranking strategy I used, which I explain here: http://tecmogeek.com/about/rankings/

It got a bit tricky figuring out details, such as how much to weight Hitting Power and Running Speed for rushers. I definitely thought hard about whether I was right to rate Jerry Rice a better rusher than Bo.

I have ideas for where to go next (detailed breakdowns of plays, team rankings, etc) but would love feedback on what I've got so far.

A great online Tecmo resource in the making.  Love the layout.

My thoughts on tweaking the ratings

• Filtering KR/PR to the best player(s) per team - Seems like overkill to list all the Saints players...if you know how KR speed works it's obvious that all the guys on the Saints will be faster than all of them on the Raiders.  Having a reference of the player that should be back there makes the most sense.  You could additionally/alternatively have a RT speed Ranking.
  • Ability to filter out TE/WR from RBs.  A lot of people have a no-WR at RB rule because of Jerry Rice.  The same would be nice for WR/TEs
  • On each individual page you have the RB/WR/TE as sortable.  I would find it more helpful for there to be the default RB1, RB2, RB3, etc layout and when you go to sort the players that it actually re-arranges them as opposed to just updating their rankings.  For example, sorting the Bills by KR I would expect to see Jaime Mueller bubble to the top but it's always Thurman up there.

There is an original rom redraft league on here and I'll throw the link up in that forum to see what feedback they have.

I like the site... it's fun.

I don't know that I'd ever refer to it more than the spreadsheet I released her a couple months ago though.

This is a great reference for casual players.

Not sure how this looks on a mobile device but I could see guys pulling this thing up at a Tecmo Tournament as a reference.

• Filtering KR/PR to the best player(s) per team - Seems like overkill to list all the Saints players...if you know how KR speed works it's obvious that all the guys on the Saints will be faster than all of them on the Raiders.  Having a reference of the player that should be back there makes the most sense.  You could additionally/alternatively have a RT speed Ranking.

Ability to filter out TE/WR from RBs.  A lot of people have a no-WR at RB rule because of Jerry Rice.  The same would be nice for WR/TEs

On each individual page you have the RB/WR/TE as sortable.  I would find it more helpful for there to be the default RB1, RB2, RB3, etc layout and when you go to sort the players that it actually re-arranges them as opposed to just updating their rankings.  For example, sorting the Bills by KR I would expect to see Jaime Mueller bubble to the top but it's always Thurman up there.

There is an original rom redraft league on here and I'll throw the link up in that forum to see what feedback they have.

Thanks a ton for the feedback. I'll put these on my to-do list of things to work on next.

This is a great reference for casual players.

Not sure how this looks on a mobile device but I could see guys pulling this thing up at a Tecmo Tournament as a reference.

Out of curiosity, what do you think would make it a great reference for "pro" players?

Out of curiosity, what do you think would make it a great reference for "pro" players?

Items that would be difficult for someone to easily calculate/know just through experience.

For example, an interactive Catch/Interception/Incomplete probability would be phenomenal.

There are probably only a handful of human beings out there, if any, that could tell you without doing the math what the INT probability would be for a Rodney Peete to Richard Johnson pass covered by Martin Mayhew.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/587686-tecmo-super-bowl/faqs/44195

Perhaps an interactive weighting where people can set sliders for each attribute.

Even my spreadsheet(s) don't take into account that certain ratings have a non-linear effect on certain parts of the game. 

I'll use Pass control as an example but it also applies to Interceptions and Hitting Power as far as pop-corning drones on offense or defense. 

With average conditions there is only one DB that can  Jump int a 63PC QB

With average conditions there are 3 DB's that can Jump int a 56 PC QB

With average conditions there are 9 DB's that can Jump int a 50 PC QB

With average conditions there are 14 DB's that can jump int a 44 PC QB

With average conditions there are 33 DB's that can jump int a 38 PC QB

With average conditions there are 66 DB's that can jump int a 31 PC QB

This is an exponential curve. 

Here is the catch% spreadsheet. It can also be used to figure out JJ whiffs and JJ ints if you know what you are doing.

http://tecmobowl.org/topic/7078-spreadsheet-for-catch-int-deflection/

Lonnie Young, Smith/Allen, and Bob Nelson got the shaft as did Pagel, Hoss, 'n Bubby

Good catch...you need to account for

Anomalies like Lonnie Young and Bob Nelson

You are overvaluing MS and undervaluing RP on defense. Bruddog can probably link but guys like the Eagle's 38-50 RS-RP CBs are faster than you give them credit for.

You aren't giving MS for QBs enough credit.

Some of the weightings are off. Here are some suggestions. These aren't exact obviously but get pretty close. 

QB MS 35%

QB PS 15%

QB PC 45%

QB APB 5%

QB Passing Speed is a tricky one especially since low to mid passing speed (44-56) makes jumping timing passes and deep passes easier but hgh passing speed is useful

for hitting the wide open guy before a defender is not there. QB maximum speed is also non-linear in that once you go above a certain MS is becomes increasingly powerful

For the primary RB rating as a runner

RB RS 5%

RB MS 80%

RB HP  Maybe a bonus if 88 or greater

RB BC 5%

RB REC not very useful for the primary RB as most of the pass plays used the RB will be sitting wide open or you will be going to another option

Rushing power is only unimportant because all guys have 69 or more.

For the RB used as RB 2 REC becomes more usful

WR

RS 5%

MS 58%

REC 37%

Speed is more important than REC. 

DL

RS 20%

RP 20%

MS 5%

HP 50%

INT 5%

RS, RP, MS only really useful if DL can be man controller. They don't help much as a drone. Again like pass control DL HP is a non-linear rating.

LB

RS 33%

RP 33%

MS 5%

HP 5%

INT 25%

DB

RS 22.5%

RP 22.5%

MS 5%

HP  5%

INT 45%

The reason that LB's get less weighting for int is purely to account for their drone rating. LB's as drones are in coverage very much. For man controlled weightings I would probably have the ratings identical or even have LB int worth more than DB int since a high int LB is like having a 5th DB for a nickel D.  

• Ability to filter out TE/WR from RBs.  A lot of people have a no-WR at RB rule because of Jerry Rice.  The same would be nice for WR/TEs
  • On each individual page you have the RB/WR/TE as sortable.  I would find it more helpful for there to be the default RB1, RB2, RB3, etc layout and when you go to sort the players that it actually re-arranges them as opposed to just updating their rankings.  For example, sorting the Bills by KR I would expect to see Jaime Mueller bubble to the top but it's always Thurman up there.

Agree on all these points...

I've been improving the attribute weightings over the past few days, starting with defensive players. I definitely was undervaluing RP and overvaluing MS. 

One of the benchmarks was to see Bob Nelson's ranking improve, which the new weightings accomplish.

http://tecmogeek.com/teams/packers/

These are the weightings on defense I'm using right now:

DL

Running Speed: 10%

Rushing Power: 35%

Maximum Speed: 10%

Hitting Power: 40%

Pass Interceptions: 5%

LB

Hitting Power: 30%

Pass Interceptions: 15%

CB/S

Hitting Power: 5%

Pass Interceptions: 40%

The more I work on this, the more I'm convinced there's no one-size-fits-all way to weight attributes.  A lot of it comes down to your style of play. For example, personally, I almost never use LBs in pass coverage, so I'm not weighting INT very heavily for them. I tend to pass to my RBs quite a bit, so I'm factoring REC into the rating.

It might be interesting to allow the weightings to be adjusted live on the site, so people can see which players are best for their own style of play.

Edited by tecmogeek.com

I love the layout, but make sure that you have all of the attributes correct. There are several errors in your data if you have plan on having all the players in the "Average" category.

EDIT: My apologies. I was attempting to make a "second-tier Pro Bowl," and have come to the realization that player attributes change when on the Pro Bowl as opposed to their respective teams. I'm now looking into this quirk.

Edited by kevincabarello