Tecmo Hack Setter Java Program

bruddog

Okay -- I was finally able to figure out how to open a file with the .java extension.  However, as a "noob," I can't make head's or tail's of it.  What am I supposed to do? I wish someone could convert this information into a tool that would be usable for people such as myself. ;-)

Okay -- I was finally able to figure out how to open a file with the .java extension.  However, as a "noob," I can't make head's or tail's of it.  What am I supposed to do? I wish someone could convert this information into a tool that would be usable for people such as myself. ;-)

It is a tool with a full UI and is as easy as can be to use. You will need to install Java to launch the application.

This sounds like a great tool . . . but, how do I use it?  I don't have Java installed on my computer; nor, do I intend to due to its security issues.

That's the problem I have too.  I'd love to have this app but I already had to scrap one computer due to an unbeatable java virus worm, and I'm VERY hesitant to even install/run it for a short time now because there's just too much to risk.

It is a tool with a full UI and is as easy as can be to use. You will need to install Java to launch the application.

Okay . . . I installed Java.  Now, I'm perplexed.

When I tried to change the kickoff position (for example), it told me that I had to activate Touchback first, so as to negate getting a Safety.  So, I went and did that; and, then, I tried to change the Kickoff position again. . . but, the same message re-appeared.  So, I couldn't get it to change the Kickoff.

Whoops. That is sort of a bug. It is meant as a warning. But it makes sense not to have the message appear if touchbacks have been turned on

Even though the message appears after turning touchbacks on it should work. 

Even though the message appears after turning touchbacks on it should work. 

Maybe, I'm doing something wrong, but I can't get it to work with changing the Kickoff position.

I'm assuming that this tool is designed only for NES.  So, that's what I've been experimenting with.

After I enter a value into the Kickoff Position box and click "O.K.," another box opens saying that Touchback has to be turned on.  I click "O.K." for that.  Since I'm assuming that "WRITE ROM" is the way to save changes, I click on it and select an .nes copy of TSB and select "O.K."  A box tells me that the rom has been written.

But, . . . when I open an emulator (viz., Nessie) to check any changes, there's nothing changed.  The Kickoff position is still placed at the 35-yard line.

Am I missing something?

I've tried overwriting to both NES and SNES (.smc) files of TSB.  I cannot get this tool to work.

For example, no matter how many times I change the Kickoff to the 50-yard line and "WRITE ROM," the change does not stick.  It still kicks off from the 35.

Other people here seem to have been having success with this tool, so that I'd be grateful to know what they're doing right . . . and, what I (apparently) am doing wrong.

Thanks!

Edited by mwidunn

1. Well this tool is for NES only so it definitely won't work with SNES

2. I will double check kickoff location or someone else post who has tried it.

Thanks.  I hope you can figure it out.

Let me be clear, though.  It's NOT just the Kickoff position.  NOTHING works on this tool for me.  I've tried making changes to Tecmo Bowl and TSB on NES.  I've even run the games on different emulators to see if it's merely an emulator issue.  Maybe, I have a corrupted file.  I'll have to take a look at that.

Anyways, . . . I hope that you can get this tool to work.  It seems really cool and useful.

This tool is ONLY  for Tecmo Super Bowl for the NES. I've noticed a few bugs in the code but most of the hacks which I will fix when I get a chance but most should work. I've verified that at least some of them work.  

Maybe it's specifically the hacks you are trying to use.  

Try just changing the quarter length only and see if that works. I just tested writing that hack and know for sure there are no bugs with it. 

Right click on the rom you are trying to modify and make sure read-only isn't checked. 

Thanks for the reply.  I was a little bit unsure about which version this tool applied to.

I checked; and, the file is not "read-only."  So, that's not an issue.

Changing the quarter length did work.  Sadly, none of the other hacks that I've tried to do with this tool -- and, I've tried several -- has worked at all.

Still, I'll wait to see if you come out with an updated version.  Thanks for the effort!

• 3 weeks later...

Please list all the other hacks that did not work so that i can look into them. I know the first down yardage is also broken. 

OK, here's one: when I click the "FG Arrow Distance" button, nothing happens.  No field pops up like with the other options that asks how much I want to change it.

• 2 weeks later...

Bruddog, is there anything the forum members can do to help you amass hacks to add to this program, or help you fix ones that may not be working properly? I have a call to action for creating .IPS files, but your program takes this all to the next level. It seems redundant to try to do both. Is there anything peeps can help you with?

1. People can test each hack one by one and let me know what is broken.

2. People can list the hacks still missing.

For hacks not included. To save me time list all the set commands associated with that hack in this thread.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • DFM unpinned this topic