Let's play: Which Team Would You Pick?

vikingmoe02

I was recently watching my Midwest Tecmo games on the stream and was reading the comments from my CIN/T.B matchup call. The comments were consistent with what I hear a lot from folks. Even veteran players. Here's my breakdown on why I love it. I baited my man @manyo360 in the round of 32 in Madison some years back. Manyo, is this in the black book now? 

Tampa Bay's weaknesses are: OL, DL, LB and that's it. Throw in an All-Tecmo defender with a top 5 DB unit combined with a 31ms QB and a 94HP RB/TE. There's good value to eek out here in the right hands. 

Cincinnati's weaknesses are: DL, LB, and WR. In this matchup Cincy's impotent DL cancels out T.B's shitty OL (which is the fear, usually. no one wants Vinny running for his life with that low PS). Yeah, Francis has 69HP but coincidentally T.Bs best lineman is at OL4 sporting a healthy 50HP to keep Francis in check under average conditions. I call this the Paul Han(d)s Gruber effect. The shitty WR's of Cincy against a top DB squad in Tampa Bay make throwing into coverage very dangerous. Get up early with T.B in this matchup and it's very hard for the Bungles to come clawing back. 

If your opponent does not take the bait and picks T.B you still have the "better" team in the Bengals. Brooks, Boomer and Fo-Rock can always get it done in the right hands. Also, at a quick glance these teams are similar with mobile QBs and single stud DBs. So as far as playbooks go.... choose wisely. 

Watch it at 7:54 - I'm the Bengals. AJ didn't take the bait. I go on to win this tournament. 

Edited by OL' Dirty Tecmo

2 hours ago, OL' Dirty Tecmo said:

I was recently watching my Midwest Tecmo games on the stream and was reading the comments from my CIN/T.B matchup call. The comments were consistent with what I hear a lot from folks. Even veteran players. Here's my breakdown on why I love it. I baited my man @manyo360 in the round of 32 in Madison some years back. Manyo, is this in the black book now? 

Tampa Bay's weaknesses are: OL, DL, LB and that's it. Throw in an All-Tecmo defender with a top 5 DB unit combined with a 31ms QB and a 94HP RB/TE. There's good value to eek out here in the right hands. 

Cincinnati's weaknesses are: DL, LB, and WR. In this matchup Cincy's impotent DL cancels out T.B's shitty OL (which is the fear, usually. no one wants Vinny running for his life with that low PS). Yeah, Francis has 69HP but coincidentally T.Bs best lineman is at OL4 sporting a healthy 50HP to keep Francis in check under average conditions. I call this the Paul Han(d)s Gruber effect. The shitty WR's of Cincy against a top DB squad in Tampa Bay make throwing into coverage very dangerous. Get up early with T.B in this matchup and it's very hard for the Bungles to come clawing back. 

If your opponent does not take the bait and picks T.B you still have the "better" team in the Bengals. Brooks, Boomer and Fo-Rock can always get it done in the right hands. Also, at a quick glance these teams are similar with mobile QBs and single stud DBs. So as far as playbooks go.... choose wisely. 

Watch it at 7:54 - I'm the Bengals. AJ didn't take the bait. I go on to win this tournament. 

nice post

11 hours ago, OL' Dirty Tecmo said:

Yes, in Tecmo XI I did take the "bait" of CIN, although I did it in full awareness of the matchup considerations you list above (which I discovered in said "black book"), and figured you wanted me to take CIN, but...... I took them because TB only has one MAN-defender at DB1, and CIN has two at LB1/DB4, and thus in taking CIN I make my offensive strategy a chess-match of either going at Haddix with runs, or NOT, which is a chess-match I have trained to be very good at as an aficionado of the off-set I (altho I didn't run pure I-form in this game in order to go at Haddix more)...... and on defense, I would have the versatility of Francis/Fulcher, which I feel is preferable to iso-haddix.......... as it turned out, you won 28-17, however you scored late after I turned it over on downs, and in essence it was a very even game........ and as you agreed with me after the game, what it all basically came down to was that you out-tapped me, running iso-plays with Anderson for a few big-gainers, and I delayed the tackles on those plays as long as I could hoping for some drone help from either Francis or Fulcher, but NOPE TB blocked everybody up and held their blocks the entire time which was what you expected, and what I was hoping would not happen with a few condition changes and/or drone love, but alas.

I consider this a very goood and even matchup and really not sure who I would take if called on me again.

18 minutes ago, manyo360 said:

Yes, in Tecmo XI I did take the "bait" of CIN, although I did it in full awareness of the matchup considerations you list above (which I discovered in said "black book"), and figured you wanted me to take CIN, but...... I took them because TB only has one MAN-defender at DB1, and CIN has two at LB1/DB4, and thus in taking CIN I make my offensive strategy a chess-match of either going at Haddix with runs, or NOT, which is a chess-match I have trained to be very good at as an aficionado of the off-set I (altho I didn't run pure I-form in this game in order to go at Haddix more)...... and on defense, I would have the versatility of Francis/Fulcher, which I feel is preferable to iso-haddix.......... as it turned out, you won 28-17, however you scored late after I turned it over on downs, and in essence it was a very even game........ and as you agreed with me after the game, what it all basically came down to was that you out-tapped me, running iso-plays with Anderson for a few big-gainers, and I delayed the tackles on those plays as long as I could hoping for some drone help from either Francis or Fulcher, but NOPE TB blocked everybody up and held their blocks the entire time which was what you expected, and what I was hoping would not happen with a few condition changes and/or drone love, but alas.

I consider this a very goood and even matchup and really not sure who I would take if called on me again.

so essentially I thought it was a very even matchup but I took CIN because I felt it enabled me to gain an advantage in terms of PLAYCALLING, on both sides of the ball, and which is the variable I value above all others considering my greatest weakness is TAPPING

3 hours ago, manyo360 said:

eGGcellent memory. I completely forgot to mention about how important tapping is in this matchup. In the video AJ was crushing me and getting big gainers against all those pokey CIN drones. But I got a late fumble early in his possession to put it away.

On 1/12/2017 at 9:12 PM, OL' Dirty Tecmo said:

Cincy has Hugetwo huge holes at CornerBack as well. Fulcher and bussey strong at safties both cb's are slow. but two 25ms Cb's. And cincy seems to fumble way to much. #Ohnoickey

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:12 PM, OL' Dirty Tecmo said:

@OL' Dirty Tecmo@manyo360

I look forward to watching this game. Well written argument here, but I'm concerned about one thing. Vinny obviously has very poor PS, and I think that is accentuated when opposed by Fulcher's ability to cover so much of the field with his speed. As CIN, you could risk calling runs on defense a bit more often knowing that Fulcher can cover almost everybody.

Conversely, Haddix has the advantage of being able to JJ INT Boomer, where Cincy's Fulcher does not carry the same advantage over Vinny (barring condition changes). Perhaps you two could share if these were significant factors in your matchup.

Overall, it's an intriguing matchup that I hadn't previously considered. Thanks for sharing! 

43 minutes ago, vikingmoe02 said:

I look forward to watching this game. Well written argument here, but I'm concerned about one thing. Vinny obviously has very poor PS, and I think that is accentuated when opposed by Fulcher's ability to cover so much of the field with his speed. As CIN, you could risk calling runs on defense a bit more often knowing that Fulcher can cover almost everybody.

Conversely, Haddix has the advantage of being able to JJ INT Boomer, where Cincy's Fulcher does not carry the same advantage over Vinny (barring condition changes). Perhaps you two could share if these were significant factors in your matchup.

Overall, it's an intriguing matchup that I hadn't previously considered. Thanks for sharing! 

These Bucs / Bengals type match ups are great, doesn't seem fair at first but then after the tale of the tape they are close.  I think @regulator088 brought up once Bucs /Bears as a closer than you think match up a while ago too.    

3 hours ago, vikingmoe02 said:

that is a good point on the low-PS consequences of Vinny vs. Fulcher, but a veteran player like Diaz isn't very likely to throw those kinds of passes and will instead settle for death-by-a-thousand-cuts scramble runs..... vs. a lesser player, however, that strategy would likely be money in the bank.  And as for jump picks, I again personally devalue that factor, in relation to other factors, when I'm playing a known, solid player like Diaz, as they are just far less likely to put a pass out there that can be jump-picked..... maybe 1 game out of 5, or something like that, is my experience at getting jump-picks vs. good seasoned players when my DB has that ability?  That's been my experience at least.

but again with CIN, I would prefer the "risk" of calling PASS on defense and controlling LB1 Francis in certain situations, especially if your opponent (like Diaz did) tries to utilize runs to neutralize Fulcher (eg, the motion sweep plays or RUN3 that send the WR2 to cut-block if defense calls pass), which are defended quite well by the LB1 (ie he is unblocked)..... like I said before, though, I clearly remember using that defensive strategy, but absolutely could not buy a freed-up drone to help me bring Anderson down, and thus some big gainers which broke my back... which goes back to Diaz's point about the OL/DL-LB neutralizations between TB offense and CIN defense.

I do not recall any interceptions or fumbles in this game, but not sure.

8 minutes ago, manyo360 said:

, but a veteran player like Diaz isn't very likely to throw those kinds of passes and will instead settle for death-by-a-thousand-cuts scramble runs..... vs. a lesser player, however, that strategy would likely be money in the bank.  And as for jump picks, I again personally devalue that factor, in relation to other factors, when I'm playing a known, solid player like Diaz, as they are just far less likely to put a pass out there that can be jump-picked..... maybe 1 game out of 5, or something like that, is my experience at getting jump-picks vs. good seasoned players when my DB has that ability?  That's been my experience at least.

but again with CIN, I would prefer the "risk" of calling PASS on defense and controlling LB1 Francis in certain situations, especially if your opponent (like Diaz did) tries to utilize runs to neutralize Fulcher (eg, the motion sweep plays or RUN3 that send the WR2 to cut-block if defense calls pass), which are defended quite well by the LB1 (ie he is unblocked)..... like I said before, though, I clearly remember using that defensive strategy, but absolutely could not buy a freed-up drone to help me bring Anderson down, and thus some big gainers which broke my back... which goes back to Diaz's point about the OL/DL-LB neutralizations between TB offense and CIN defense.

I do not recall any interceptions or fumbles in this game, but not sure.

Bingo. 

As for the jj int factor. Boomer's passing speed doesn't really lend itself to JJ shots unless the WR is wide open and you know haddix is clearly cheating. I guess it has a tiny impact for an end of game bomb. 

Tap battles can help to make or break who wins this matchup.  Freeing up drones is usually an all or nothing proposition. If you fail its probably a TD.  The odds of having at least 1 failure in 5 tries is 99%. 

4 hours ago, segathonsov said:

These Bucs / Bengals type match ups are great, doesn't seem fair at first but then after the tale of the tape they are close.  I think @regulator088 brought up once Bucs /Bears as a closer than you think match up a while ago too.    

First off, you son of a motherless goat... any matchup Regulator calls he has the advantage!! But seriously, if you have a one man defense and cannot tap as fast as your opponent it is beneficial to have a plan to bump drones for help, or be an olympic dive tackler. Regulator cycles and taps well enough to beat the Bears with T.B. I don't really think the average or even above-average tecmoer could consistently pull this one off. If the inferior tapper somehow ends up with the Bucs the game is over before it starts. 

This is why calling the matchups late in tournaments is such a huge advantage and why tapping is such a flawed element of the game. It's all about tapping that A**. 

5 hours ago, vikingmoe02 said:

Manyo nailed it. Scrambleez for the win! Even if Fulcher catches up with a pass he's "probably" going to just bat it down. Would be interesting how things would play out if he was 75INT. 

2 hours ago, bruddog said:

Bingo. 

As for the jj int factor. Boomer's passing speed doesn't really lend itself to JJ shots unless the WR is wide open and you know haddix is clearly cheating. I guess it has a tiny impact for an end of game bomb. 

Tap battles can help to make or break who wins this matchup.  Freeing up drones is usually an all or nothing proposition. If you fail its probably a TD.  The odds of having at least 1 failure in 5 tries is 99%. 

in my game vs. Diaz I do not remember ever trying to bump drones to get a buddy tackler, but I do recall playing it conservative, staying back and tracking the RB, content to give up a 12-15yd gain from time to time...... and in this matchup I feel that was a big mistake on my part, as a few times he was able to get even bigger gains because I just wasn't getting any drone helpers with speed at all, and a few times I even tried to surprise tap-battle him, to no avail, he just got even biGGer gains...... sometimes I (and others) like to rope-a-dope an opponent in this way, that is, never bump anybody on certain runs, give up a soft 12 yards a few times over, then get them into a position where they call that run again, then go for the bump and the big negative play, risk/reward sort of thing... but in my memory of the game vs. Diaz, his play-calling, especially late in the game, was too clever to utilize that strategy...... my choice in teams and strategy I felt gave me an opportunity to exploit the play-calling aspect of this game, which was my best hope, and I feel my greatest strength, but Diaz just beat me there, especially late in the game.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2013 at 6:42 PM, kamphuna8 said:

I seriously can't get enough of this quote. TBK u should show up in Seattle sporting a shirt that says It's Always Sunny in Portland with you calling tecspectre a bitch as he's getting ranned over by Johnny J. The more I think of this the more I think this needs to happen. #ifeellikebillsimmons

#prettyplease

On 1/3/2014 at 0:34 PM, ~Tailback King~ said:

Use GANNON, not WILSON..................He's better.  Also, take out starter Hassan Jones at the top receiver and put in Chris Carter.....stats aren't everything, trust me.

#alternativefacts ?

3 hours ago, Dotdon said:

Would like to get some opinions on DET, because I think this is a team that elite players love, and maybe the middle/lower players hate.  Who do you take?

DET CIN

DET TB

DET MINN

DET RAMS

DET KC

DET SD/WASH/DEN

Don't really like DET in most of these matches other than maybe DEN. Some of the other ones kinda depends on tapping.  

RAMS vs DET has had typically a much worse (10-14 pts worse on average) player using DET. As no great player wants the random number generator of the rams passing game to take them down.  

7 hours ago, Ryan11p said:

Nasty Matchup love to see what yall think

PIT vs PHX

who ya got?

I call this one quite a bit, because I think most players will take PIT here, leaving me with PHX, who I'd prefer.  But this is pretty even.  Hard to score on either front, but I like the offensive advantage at RB a bit more than I like the D.  But its first to 17. 

PS You have to answer my DET questions now.

19 hours ago, Dotdon said:

Would like to get some opinions on DET, because I think this is a team that elite players love, and maybe the middle/lower players hate.  Who do you take?

DET CIN

DET TB

DET MINN

DET RAMS

DET KC

DET SD/WASH/DEN

DET CIN, taking CIN

DET TB, taking DET

DET MN, taking DET

DET RAMS, taking RAMS

DET KC, taking KC

DET SD/WAS/DEN.... taking DET/DET/DET

On 2/1/2017 at 0:31 PM, Dotdon said:

DET CIN

DET TB

DET MINN

DET RAMS

DET KC

DET SD/WASH/DEN

barry-bait.  nice.

DET CIN

DET TB

DET MINN

DET RAMS - hmm....ah, DET

DET KC - don't really care here.  

DET SD/WASH/DEN

In regards to DET

Lack of secondary

I like 

Cin over det

Tb over det

Rams over det

Kc over det

Wash over der

Det over min (not a fan of min)

Den vs det wash like either

Sd vs det heavily depends who im playing. So wash have lost vs sd in big games that ps with tolliver was the difference in the games i have lost.

On 2/2/2017 at 5:57 AM, Dotdon said:

I call this one quite a bit, because I think most players will take PIT here, leaving me with PHX, who I'd prefer.  But this is pretty even.  Hard to score on either front, but I like the offensive advantage at RB a bit more than I like the D.  But its first to 17.

I call this one quite a bit, because I think every opponent will take PIT here, leaving me with The Man, The Myth, and the Legend they call Johnny Johnson, who of course I prefer. (who wouldn't?)  When you really think about it, the matchup is not even close.  It's eazy to score on a soft, towel waiving defense as long as you keep Rod Woodson honest by dropping a couple bombs on his a$$ by using "THE LEGEND" as a decoy, and if you have any type of a tap game, it makes it only that much worse for PIT.  I like the offensive advantage at Tailback a hell of a lot more because I have Johnny Johnson in my backfield and they don't.