Let's play: Which Team Would You Pick?

vikingmoe02

If I wanted input on which team to pick for one specific matchup for a tourney, I would have posted here to begin with. I'm interested in ranking all the teams based on polling data. IIRC I believe the TPC rankings were at least partly based on polls originally. That was years ago so I thought it might be interesting to see what the results would be now. 

As far as clogging up a forum, when people like Tailback King make 9000 posts about Johnny Johnson that argument holds little water :P One poll a week is hardly clogging up a forum.

Little water???  I put any team you could dork out and conjure up against 'my' 1990 Tecmo Superbowl PHX Cardinals, of course with... (no need to name drop) and I guarantee, you'd get a dose of reality, must see TV, a glimps of magic, and an a$$ whoopin' all at the same time.................................................................................then get humbled and lose to me in  the 1st round of the tourney you're attending.  

Little water???  I put any team you could dork out and conjure up against 'my' 1990 Tecmo Superbowl PHX Cardinals, of course with... (no need to name drop) and I guarantee, you'd get a dose of reality, must see TV, a glimps of magic, and an a$$ whoopin' all at the same time.................................................................................then get humbled and lose to me in  the 1st round of the tourney you're attending.  

Do you have trouble reading? Do you have a learning disorder or something? I'm not trying to make fun, but that really has nothing to do with anything I said.

I really don't give a **** if you finally decided to reply to one of my post or not.  On-line play, (which I'm figuring how you played them) is a hell of a lot different than MAN to MAN, face to face.....I'v heard stories of people cheating on-line and a lot of other bull$#!t.  You can't get away with that when your opponent is right beside you.....That's why I never wanted to play in on-line Tecmobowl games ..........I'll bet there's a lot of on-line self proclaimed all stars and champions that will get SMASHED at a real Tourney, on a real console........And you can bet yo a$$ I'm gonna be at one of these Madison Tournaments in the next couple years, and when I do, you and yo Wisconsin rednecks might find out that your cheesy little state isn't the home of the best players in the world, or the birthplace of the "original" Tecmo Superbowl Tournament, cuzz out here, we've been doin' it big since the game came out in 91' with less players, but just as much talent.....and in this case, bigger isn't always better.....just more watered down.

.......And as far as getting my a$$ kicked all over the field in Madison, I got a feelin' the only people who are gonna stop or challenge me are the best your state got...and the rest will fall in line and get out smarted, out tapped, and str8 up out played, and that will be the end of that. 

........ MEEEEEEEEMORIES,.......whoa, whoa, whoa, whoah........Ha ha Ha hA Ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!  That was a reply to coconuts0662 years ago............

WOW!!!  He really puts it down for his hometown!!!.....

.....This Tailback kid really got what it takes!!!

{p.s.  I still mean everything is said..."It's Northwest, F*cc the rest!!!"...and yes, that still means you too Mo}

........ MEEEEEEEEMORIES,.......whoa, whoa, whoa, whoah........Ha ha Ha hA Ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!  That was a reply to coconuts0662 years ago............

WOW!!!  He really puts it down for his hometown!!!.....

.....This Tailback kid really got what it takes!!!

{p.s.  I still mean everything is said..."It's Northwest, F*cc the rest!!!"...and yes, that still means you too Mo}

And I still mean what I said - I'll take PIT/DAL/JETS/GB/ATL/NO..hell, even Seattle against "your PHX Cardinals", and I'd probably still whoop ya. ;)

Do you have trouble reading? Do you have a learning disorder or something? I'm not trying to make fun, but that really has nothing to do with anything I said.

Fool, shut up.  I don't need a reason to pick you out and start talkin' $#!t...It just so happend that my name came out yo mouth and that's all it took...punks like you are the reason I go on these rants in the first place...and f*cc your beliefs that the TPC rankings where partly based on the polls originality...The fact of the matter is, the same thing still holds true today, that held true years ago........Johnny Johnson by himself, will still put up more yards, rush for more touchdowns, get more receptions, start more conversations, amaze more noobies, mystify more veterans, and put his foot up the a$$, of any player or team you decide to do a poll on.....and it doesn't matter how many posts you have.....quantity isn't quality.  Maybe you should think of that fact the next time you pick your team, or come up with one of your great ideas for a poll.

So I haven't been active in awhile, it's the first thing I thought of. I would really appreciate being allowed to create polls in the forum. What's your issue? What's the big deal? It wasn't hurting anything and my point stands, even if the example I gave is no longer relevant. Posting one poll a week to gather data is not going to clog anything up. You can even delete each poll when I'm done with it or any other damn thing you feel like doing. The point is I want to have polls. Maybe no one will even vote and I'll just give it up. I just wanted to see what would happen. Sheesh.

Why ignore all the data that already lies within this thread?

I've thought about going through the whole thing to tally up the matchup totals and picks, but I just haven't found the time. If you're so passionate about collecting data, why would you ignore and disregard all the data here?

Why ignore all the data that already lies within this thread?

I've thought about going through the whole thing to tally up the matchup totals and picks, but I just haven't found the time. If you're so passionate about collecting data, why would you ignore and disregard all the data here?

Like you just said, it's time consuming. This thread is actually what gave me the idea to come back to this board and run some polls. This thread is what I had in mind when I came back here. I figured everyone who commented on this thread would be happy to vote their picks. We could generate a new ranking order based on what people currently think. It wasn't my intention to ignore this thread, but rather to build off of it.

Edited by BO FB Offtackle Left

Also, in this thread, without having any polls and it just being people commenting, a lot of people probably see the position they agree with and don't bother to say anything. Adding "I agree" to something that's been said 3 or 4 times generally doesn't serve a conversation unless you have something new to add. So you only end up getting a few comments for each matchup, or a few "votes" as it were. With a poll, people may see the position they agree with, and then all they have to do is click a poll choice. There would likely be more people voting. 

As an example, just to take the list of matchups you first started with. There's a page and a half of comments and only 6 people made picks on all of them, and that includes people saying "Tossup" for some matchups. I was hoping with polls there would be more than 6 votes. In any case, it'd be nice to find out without the poll getting jacked by an overzealous admin.

Edited by BO FB Offtackle Left

• 4 months later...

QBBSDTINDER_zps75cf4100.gif

Bumping this Topic with Madtown only Days away.

The Tecmo Gods may strike me down for this who'd you choose in these match ups that have some CC factor?

ATL vs CLE - Miller & Rison vs Bernie & Slaughter, Think it comes down if Bernie or Rozier has more yards on the ground

SEA Vs CLE - 69 pc Kreig vs 75 PC Browns,

MIN vs RAMS - MN has much better D, but that Rams Passing game is so nasty

MIN vs KC - Seems like an even matchup I have not seen called before even though KC seems to be the favorite here.

2 hours ago, segathonsov said:

ATL vs CLE - Miller & Rison vs Bernie & Slaughter, Think it comes down if Bernie or Rozier has more yards on the ground

MIN vs KC - Seems like an even matchup I have not seen called before even though KC seems to be the favorite here.

Smart money says ATL. But I could take CLE as well.

Fine with either team in this pretty even matchup.

MIN all day. Defense wins games.

KC would be the favorite but I can't quit Wade.

21 hours ago, segathonsov said:

The Tecmo Gods may strike me down for this who'd you choose in these match ups that have some CC factor?

ATL all day (deion, rison, 50 ms back)

CLE all day (bernie's legs)

MIN, browner

KC, I don't see MIN moving the ball much against KC def

21 hours ago, segathonsov said:

ATL-CLE is interesting.  My gut went to ATL for the better RB/defender, but QB Browns is pretty solid.  I'd probably pick ATL but this is really close.  I may try it in a warm up game this week.

SEA-CLE   I don't think this is close, i'd take CLE for the far superior defense (which is not saying much)

MIN v. RAMS -  This one is really good.  There are a handful of players I've seen play with the Rams a few times live that I probably wouldn't allow to have the RAMS (Daboy, Orenga, Diaz off the top of my head).  I'm also very comfortable with the RAMS.  I could take either.  I probably would take Player 1 or the RAMS in most scenarios depending on the opponent because the RAMS have the far better QB.

MIN v. KC.  This is a KC no brainer for me.  Similar pass games, better QB, far better RBs.  Enough on D to impact MIN's offense.

5 hours ago, Dotdon said:

ATL-CLE is interesting.  My gut went to ATL for the better RB/defender, but QB Browns is pretty solid.  I'd probably pick ATL but this is really close.  I may try it in a warm up game this week.

SEA-CLE   I don't think this is close, i'd take CLE for the far superior defense (which is not saying much)

MIN v. RAMS -  This one is really good.  There are a handful of players I've seen play with the Rams a few times live that I probably wouldn't allow to have the RAMS (Daboy, Orenga, Diaz off the top of my head).  I'm also very comfortable with the RAMS.  I could take either.  I probably would take Player 1 or the RAMS in most scenarios depending on the opponent because the RAMS have the far better QB.

MIN v. KC.  This is a KC no brainer for me.  Similar pass games, better QB, far better RBs.  Enough on D to impact MIN's offense.

IMHO Seattle has the better D than Cleveland. 38/50 DL plus 2 31/38/50ms in the DBs vs a 31/44/50 lb and one 31/38/50 db. Green tips the scales for me

Thanks for revitalizing this thread!

I think the MIN-RAMS matchup is the only one I'd ever offer. The others are flawed IMO.

ATL has clear advantages vs CLE in terms of defense and explosive players on offense.

SEA-CLE is closer but I still think CLE has more value with QB Browns. Plus this is a "who can bomb it better" matchup

I like MIN, but KC has them outmatched here pretty easily

32 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

IMHO Seattle has the better D than Cleveland. 38/50 DL plus 2 31/38/50ms in the DBs vs a 31/44/50 lb and one 31/38/50 db. Green tips the scales for me

Interesting.  I do undervalue DL in a MAN v. MAN game.  I just think who has the good LB and good DB that I can utilize but I suppose the DBs on Seattle do have a little more value than I think with INTs about even.  1 notch higher at QB/WR for CLE though.  Closer than I imagined.  I should consider using it if people will pick Seattle because I'd love that.

Edited by Dotdon

On 2/15/2016 at 0:33 PM, segathonsov said:

ATL vs CLE  - I'm a CLE guy here, never had luck with ATL in live action.

SEA Vs CLE  - CLE here too, need those scrambles with Bern.  And we all know Clay Matthews plays well above his stats.

MIN vs RAMS  - I'd lean LA, but it's a personal preference thing.  (never seen this one live, not a bad matchup though at all)

MIN vs KC  - I would take KC here, but interestingly enough I played Donkey Tunch in my Tomczak Bowl pool 3-4 years ago for shots over this very matchup.  I took MIN for giggles and actually ended up winning thanks to a ....wait for it... Okoye fumble.  I know, shocker.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2013 at 1:43 PM, vikingmoe02 said:

This thread had webs on it...

1 = CLE. GB sucks. I like CLE's offensive weapons. AHAHAHAHA!

2 = PHO. My team is so frustrating on this cart. Even with Bad Moon and Deion.

3 = MIA. Seriously? Not even close. I like challenges, but damn. It's Browner or nobody for MIN.

4 = I wouldn't play this. If I had to choose, NE I suppose. Cause I'd have to.

5 = Tough. Probably HOU. Too much fun. Probably get beat though. The Giants are the Giants.

Edited by Stadawim
Weird Stuff

On 2/16/2016 at 11:30 AM, Dotdon said:

Cleveland-They just have more players that are worth a crap. Atlanta is basically Rison and Sanders. Mike Johnson is a solid enough LB that you can sort of manage a bit of defense. 

Seattle-This is a toss up talent wise, but I hate the Browns

Minnesota-For me, as fun as it is chucking long all day to Flipper and Ellard, having to use Kevin Greene from that bottom LB position is a pain. Minnesota is such a balanced team and it's not a bad day when you can chuck it long to AC and Hassan Jones. 

KC-They are essentially a better Minnesota except they give up a little bit at the WR position. Love a team with a really good defense and a kicker that doesn't even ask you to cross the 50. 

@WackoforFlacco

I tend to agree with you except for the CLE-ATL choice and reasoning. Both teams really only have one truly usable defender, and Deion Sanders >>>> Mike Johnson. Deion is all you need on D, and Rison can feast on the top DBs (1 & 3) in the Browns' secondary. Throw in a 50ms RB in Rozier (vs 31ms and 38ms in Mack & Metcalf), and you've got advantages across the board for ATL (except for Bernie of course).

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2016 at 7:10 AM, vikingmoe02 said:

Thanks for posting @Stadawim but it's hard to tell which match ups you're referring to. The first is clearly CLE-GB

Yeah. Dunno what happened there. I think autocorrect changed something some reason without my knowledge or noticing. Stupid small screens. But 'my team' always refers to the ATL.

Edited by Stadawim

• 1 month later...
On 3/6/2016 at 0:34 PM, vikingmoe02 said:

@WackoforFlacco

I tend to agree with you except for the CLE-ATL choice and reasoning. Both teams really only have one truly usable defender, and Deion Sanders >>>> Mike Johnson. Deion is all you need on D, and Rison can feast on the top DBs (1 & 3) in the Browns' secondary. Throw in a 50ms RB in Rozier (vs 31ms and 38ms in Mack & Metcalf), and you've got advantages across the board for ATL (except for Bernie of course).

When a team has one good, super fast defender, I tend to run at them...a lot.  My solution to Deion would be to almost never pass and make him stand still and wait on my running game and the convoy of blockers that comes with it.  One of my arch-nemeses from the old Tecmo days was a Browns fan and he was able to maneuver Mike Johnson into position no matter what I was trying to do.  He'd cover short or deep, could flow to outside runs and attack the hole on inside runs.  He wasn't flashy, but he was reliable and there is a real value there.  You don't want to be doing backward somersaults while the ball carrier is breaking into his death zigzag.