Let's play: Which Team Would You Pick?

vikingmoe02

The thing I'ma be wearin'

This is hilarious. I know people talk like this, but who writes like this? Does the ebonics really carry over to how you write as well? I guess people from the south will type y'all, but is that the same thing? I mean, I'm a Minnesotan, but it's not like I type out don't cha know at the end of each sentence (but I never realy say that anyway).

All that aside, I'd love to see a picture of you at that tournament in your aura-filled Johnny Johnson attire, Tailback.

The thing I'ma be wearin' is my Johnny Johnson 1990 #39 authentic Cardinals Throwback jerzey...Youll know it's me by the blinding cardinal crimson aura that surrounds me when I walk through the door.....Don't be suprized if you hear the Ric Flair entrance music unexplainably comin' from the jukbox as well. Ha hA Ha!!!!!!!

Whooooooo!

The thing I'ma be wearin'

This is hilarious. I know people talk like this, but who writes like this? Does the ebonics really carry over to how you write as well? I guess people from the south will type y'all, but is that the same thing? I mean, I'm a Minnesotan, but it's not like I type out don't cha know at the end of each sentence (but I never realy say that anyway).

All that aside, I'd love to see a picture of you at that tournament in your aura-filled Johnny Johnson attire, Tailback.

You will, doncha' kno......................Every time I hear that accent, I wanna cold pint.

You will, doncha' kno......................Every time I hear that accent, I wanna cold pint.

Well, I'm originally from Ohio, so I don't have much of a midwestern accent. And actually, the accent is really hit or miss with people up here. Some people have it bad, and others not at all. It's maybe 50/50. I went to college in Wisconsin, and it's almost worse over there. The movie Fargo really blew the accent out of perspective. Almost nobody talks like that up here.

• 3 weeks later...

1. GB-CLE: CLE has a better QB but not enough to make up for the rest of the team. GB has better RBs, Receivers, and Defense so I pick GB. 

2. PHX-ATL: This isn't even really close. ATL is better or the same in every major category. Rison and Deion. PHX has no one close to that level and that makes a difference.

3. MIN-MIA: Marino might just be great enough to make MIA the pick here. I think conventional wisdom leans towards MIA, but I might do better with MIN in this matchup. MIN is better at every other position but QB.

4. NE-SEA: It is widely known that IND is the worst team in the game and NE is second worst. So SEA based on that alone. But looking at the teams, Krieg makes the real difference. SEA is better.

5. HOU-GIA: There's no question HOU has the better offense. For Defense, I say Richard Johnson and Ray Childress trump Lawrence Taylor and Everson Walls, so HOU.

I'm intrigued by the whole matchup format of tournaments and why people choose certain matchups and how they decide between the two teams.

So which team would you pick (and why...if you want) if offered the following matchups?

1. GB - CLE

2. PHX - ATL

3. MIN - MIA

4. NE - SEA

5. HOU - GIA

Edited by BO FB Offtackle Left

Awesome input, Offtackle. Thanks for revitalizing the thread!

Looking back on it, I'd really have to completely agree with you.

Here are some recent matchups I've encountered lately. What do you think?

MIN vs SD

TB vs RAMS

GB vs NO

lol ok I'll keep playing. It's funny, I only read up to bruddog's reply before posting, so I didn't realize I was coming into a derailed shitstorm! I'm glad I didn't finish reading the thread until after I posted, I might not have bothered.

MIN-SD: Definitely SD because of Butts, as the teams are pretty even everywhere else.

TB-RAMS: Wow this is a good one. I must have thought about this matchup before, I wish I remembered what I came up with. I don't think I can decide but I will try to lay out the relevant points. If you pick the RAMS, you have to deal with their incredibly shitty defense. You should be comfortable having a LB as your star player, but you also need to be able to cover with Newsome or Humphrey. TB has a decent passing game, though obviously not in the same league as the RAMS. If you pick TB, you get Wayne Haddix. But you are also covering the best WR tandem in the game. Haddix covering the RAMS is almost the same as the RAMS covering Mark Carrier. BTW, TB's OL is not a factor in this matchup because the RAMS defense is too weak to exploit it. If I was picking a team to play against several different other teams, I would take TB because they are more well rounded. In a head to head matchup it's more even.

GB-NO: Another good one. NO has a better defense so I would take them for multiple games against different teams, but I would take GB in a head to head game because Sharpe can win a close game for you at the last second. I've seen it happen at tourneys multiple times.

Awesome input, Offtackle. Thanks for revitalizing the thread!

Looking back on it, I'd really have to completely agree with you.

Here are some recent matchups I've encountered lately. What do you think?

MIN vs SD

TB vs RAMS

GB vs NO

• 8 months later...

Bumping this thread because I really enjoy the discussion.

Here are a couple I want people's insight on concerning Barry and not much D:

TB  ---  DET

DET  ---  DAL

DET  ---  MIN

DET --- WASH

TB/DET and MIN/DET are good matchups IMO because Haddix and Browner can cover the pass virtually by themselves with Peete's low PS and their ability to jump INT him. So you could call run against Barry all day. Plus Haddix and Browner/Millard can handle Barry pretty well - especially if you can out-tap your opponent.

DET is way better than DAL IMO. WASH has Green and Mayhew, but Mayhew is in a bad spot to cover the run and Green is fast but can't jump INT Peete. I'd take DET in that one, too.

So I was facing SconnieAle in a tournament, and I know he loves to pass and JJ all day. So I thought I'd offer him up a matchup that makes that difficult. An "A-button" team versus another "A-button" team if you will.

So I offered SD vs DEN

I figured with both teams having high PS (difficult for JJs) low PC QBs, he'd have to be careful throwing the ball. Turns out that it worked, as I beat him that game.

Any thoughts on this matchup? Anybody know of any other anti-pass or anti-run matchups?

SD and DEN is a very good matchup, I've used it a couple of times.  Patience is a key with these teams so I think it is good against less-experienced players or impatient players, because mistakes can get made if you are not careful.  I never thought about using it in an "avoid the JJ" situation.  Interesting.

Usually when I think of matchups, I like to make it as even as possible.  So, if one team has a good RB, I will have the other team have one too (KC-RAI, KC-CHI, DAL-DEN, etc).  Same for good defenders...I prefer to have teams "even" in this respect (think TB-ATL or TB-PIT w/DB1).  All things considered, I think I'd prefer the better defensive team if I can get it early, but in a single elimination matchup that may change depending on opponent--I may take the best offensive weapon (ie I'd rather bomb to Rison than grind all day vs. elite player).

Anti-run matchups I can't really think of any, because most teams have decent RBs and a good player will run the ball more than throw.  Anti-pass matchups you can use CHI, RAI, or sometimes KC as the pass games are hit/miss.  NO, DAL, PHX, PIT are all pass games that can be completely neutralized IMO.

I think we need Vogt to set up a podcast so we can discuss these things.

Bumping this thread because I really enjoy the discussion.

Here are a couple I want people's insight on concerning Barry and not much D:

TB  ---  DET

DET  ---  DAL

DET  ---  MIN

DET --- WASH

DET over TB any day. TB has one of the weakest (if not the weakest) LBs in the game, and Barry is a monster. Even if the person playing TB calls run, you'll still pop off 5+ yards a carry.

DET over DAL too. DAL has no good defender in a good spot to stop Barry. Emmitt is quick, but William White is at DB4 and Michael Cofer can cover the LB4 deficiency.

I honestly have not played a whole lot of games with MIN, but I'd still say DET. MIN doesn't have a playmaker on offense, and while Browner/Millard is a nice combo and can possibly shut down Barry, to do it consistently is another story.

DET over WASH: I called this matchup in the Youngstown final 4 against Chris Vogt, hoping he'd take WASH, but he took DET, and he proceeded to win the tourney. Green/Mayhew are a defensive force, and it's possible to shut Barry Down, but the offense is a little too sluggish to get anything going, and it's easy to give it right back to Barry and co. One called play against WASH offense and the punt unit is on the field.

Long story short, I've always been of the mentality that a weapon on offense will outweigh a weapon on defense.

Herschel more than Carter.

C'mon man!

Even Johnny Johnson is better than Herschel Walker!

Walker has below ave MS (44) for a starting RB, his 63 HP means mostly nothing (except in pass protection I guess), and he has the standard 38 RS and 50 BC. His 44 REC is nice especially when you consider who's throwing him the ball, but that's about it.

Meanwhile, AC is a top 5 WR in the game (behind Rice, Hill, Rison, & Ellard) who can bail out Whiskey Wade.

C'mon man!

Even Johnny Johnson is better than Herschel Walker!

Walker has below ave MS (44) for a starting RB, his 63 HP means mostly nothing (except in pass protection I guess), and he has the standard 38 RS and 50 BC. His 44 REC is nice especially when you consider who's throwing him the ball, but that's about it.

Meanwhile, AC is a top 5 WR in the game (behind Rice, Hill, Rison, & Ellard) who can bail out Whiskey Wade.

Johnny's better than everybody...that's already been established.........

........Mo, you don't want to get into an argument over why Herschel is the best player on the team you say you're a fan of.

Johnny's better than everybody...that's already been established.........

........Mo, you don't want to get into an argument over why Herschel is the best player on the team you say you're a fan of.

No, an agrument about that would be fruitless and undoubtedly annoying...