Let's play: Which Team Would You Pick?

vikingmoe02

I'm intrigued by the whole matchup format of tournaments and why people choose certain matchups and how they decide between the two teams.

So which team would you pick (and why...if you want) if offered the following matchups?

1. GB - CLE

2. PHX - ATL

3. MIN - MIA

4. NE - SEA

5. HOU - GIA

I'm intrigued by the whole matchup format of tournaments and why people choose certain matchups and how they decide between the two teams.

So which team would you pick (and why...if you want) if offered the following matchups?

1. GB - CLE

2. PHX - ATL

3. MIN - MIA

4. NE - SEA

5. HOU - GIA

1.  GB: easy call, better man-defenders (Bob and Harris), RB, WR.  CLE's D is pure turrible.

2.  PHX: pretty close, not certain in my mind on this one, but would rather control Safeties than DB1, and PHX LB1 could potentially popcorn the ATL OL4.

3.  TOSS-UP: Depends on how the strengths/weaknesses of the other player and myself matchup.  I've preferred MIN in the past though.

4.  SEA: achilles heel for me, got to go with the Hawks, even though Lippett is a good play versus Krieg, even at DB2.  NE if I was objective.

5.  TOSS-UP: Depends on how the strengths/weaknesses of the other player and myself matchup, but I think I would likely prefer HOU because of the 50 RP LB4 and RJ's 75 INT.  Tough call tho.

1.  GB: easy call, better man-defenders (Bob and Harris), RB, WR.  CLE's D is pure turrible.

2.  PHX: pretty close, not certain in my mind on this one, but would rather control Safeties than DB1, and PHX LB1 could potentially popcorn the ATL OL4.

3.  TOSS-UP: Depends on how the strengths/weaknesses of the other player and myself matchup.  I've preferred MIN in the past though.

4.  SEA: achilles heel for me, got to go with the Hawks, even though Lippett is a good play versus Krieg, even at DB2.  NE if I was objective.

5.  TOSS-UP: Depends on how the strengths/weaknesses of the other player and myself matchup, but I think I would likely prefer HOU because of the 50 RP LB4 and RJ's 75 INT.  Tough call tho.

Thanks for the input, Manyo. It's interesting, because I'd almost choose the complete opposite of you.

1. I like CLE a bit better. Yes, their D is bad, but so is GB's. GB's hitting power on D is so low that Mack can popcorn over half of GB's defenders in average condition. If Mack is in Good condition, he bowls over everybody except Nelson and Harris (who the man player is probably controlling anyway).

2. Almost a complete toss up to me. I'd probably choose the controller I wanted.

3. MIA is a pretty easy choice for me. MIN's D is better, but MIA can get it done also for me. Marino's ps is a game changer against human opponents.

4. NE only because of defense.

5. HOU for pretty much the same reasons you mentioned. RJ is a game changer (but so is the GIA LB core). I wouldn't be very happy if someone offered up this matchup (I prefer playing with less powerful teams).

I like this game.

1. GB - CLE

CLE -  bad defense, but QB Browns rules!

2. PHX - ATL

ATL - Rison and Neon Deion over Johnnytailbackjohnson and L.Young

3. MIN - MIA

MIA - no contest.  Marino, Duper, Clayton, Edmunds, Jensen.  Offy on D.

4. NE - SEA

SEA - I hate NE.  Jacob Green on defense is nasty.

5. HOU - GIA

HOU - too good of a passting attack with dick johnson on D.

I like this game.

1. GB - CLE

2. PHX - ATL

3. MIN - MIA

4. NE - SEA

5. HOU - GIA

Thanks! I like this game, too.

The hate you have for NE is probably similar to my hate for SEA. Yuck.

1. GB - CLE

2. PHX - ATL

3. MIN - MIA

4. NE - SEA

5. HOU - GIA

#2      Johnson would swiss cheese that average at best Atlanta 'D'......It wouldn't even be a contest.  Who's gonna stop him...Deion???  Tuggle???  All signs point to a dream match up for me.

#1      I'd pick Cleveland over The Pack.  I don't think Green Bays 'D' can hold Kevin Mack gettin' 25 to 30 carries......if he doesn't fumble, Green Bay's toast.        

Yes, but the reason why I hate NE is because they have been a good team for like 15 years now.  Being a Dolphins fan, I hate facing Brady and the cheating Pats every year.

I see. I'm a Vikings' fan (obviously), but I can't remember the last time I was cheering on NE either. I don't think they are very likeable outside of the Boston area.

#2      Johnson would swiss cheese that average at best Atlanta 'D'......It wouldn't even be a contest.  Who's gonna stop him...Deion???  Tuggle???  All signs point to a dream match up for me.

#1      I'd pick Cleveland over The Pack.  I don't think Green Bays 'D' can hold Kevin Mack gettin' 25 to 30 carries......if he doesn't fumble, Green Bay's toast.        

Tailback, I clearly can't expect you to pick any team over PHX. You're love for Johnny is just too strong. lol

The GB - CLE matchup is pretty close. I've seen it offered up a lot in tournaments, so it's interesting to get different takes on it.

I like this game.

1. GB - CLE

2. PHX - ATL

3. MIN - MIA

4. NE - SEA

5. HOU - GIA

Houston over the Giants???  I guess it's all in how you play.........as many points as the Oilers can put up with that passing attack, O.J Anderson can and will do it running all over that relativley weak Houston 'D'.........Richard Johnson can't do it all.   

Tailback, I clearly can't expect you to pick any team over PHX. You're love for Johnny is just too strong. lol

The GB - CLE matchup is pretty close. I've seen it offered up a lot in tournaments, so it's interesting to get different takes on it.

Well......I hope everybody thinks that at the Tourney, because if they try to get wise and pick some bullsh!t matchup, with my head hangin' down, I will destroy Phoenix.  I know that team inside and out.  It's a WIN WIN for me.

I just lost in double OT of a tourney in IA with the Browns/Packers matchup.  I picked the matchup and got stuck with the browns.  It's pretty even, but I think the deciding factor is the CC/JJ potential with Sharpe.  He's just too fast and Magik scrambles as well as Bernie.  CLE defense is terrible.  Mack is slower than molasses, I'll take Woodside all day every day.  Slaughter is a JJ machine, but 38 MS is tough sometimes.

I love this game too!

1. GB - CLE - Had a recent change of heart in this as this has burned me in a tournament as well as TPC. I have a soft spot in my heart for the Brownies, and would always pick them given this matchup as I LOVE me some MACK ATTACK! BUT! GB's offense is just too good. Woodside can just carve up the Brownies D and my ground chuck offense will suffer from the jealousy at some point with pounding the rock if I'm the Browns. Also, Sterling Sharpe. Majik man to him is better than anything Cleveland has got going, I wish it were diff as I love SLaughter as well, but it ain't.

GB

2. PHX - ATL - For this one, I guess it would depend on my opponent and what I know about them. RB's is basically a wash at 50MS even though JJ is a much better REC. Rosenbach has just been too much of an enigma for me and has no weapon that comes close to Rison. Deion is capable with max RP and decent 56int.

ATL

3. MIN - MIA - This one is probably the 2nd easiest decision. I would have to go MIA, although I suck at defending the deep balls to AC. You will have folks picking pass all day, and for me that is gold, as I love to pound the rizzock, and would even with Miami. Marino's arm and accuracy and WEAPONS are too much imho. Also if I were at madison this year and given this option, I would go with the guy in the name Marino Royale!

MIA

4. NE - SEA - This is a tough call. I generally like that Krieg has excellent PC and I am a huge fan of his so I would roll with that. BUT. NE's backup Wilson is capable, and the receiving options are better with Fryar and Cook, plus Seattle doesn't have a great DB to threaten with a debilitating JJ pick. Jacob Green and the twin 38ms Backup RBs in Chris Warren and James Jones seal this for me.

SEA

5. HOU - GIA - This one is intriguing. I love the 2 headed rushing attack the Giants possess and the offense is potent in every way. On D there are several options, but no DB like Dick Dick. While Moon has a laser and EXCELLENT options to sling it to, plus some wheels of his own to boot, I think I would have to go with the G MEn as they fit my smashmouth style much better.

GIA

Houston over the Giants???  I guess it's all in how you play.........as many points as the Oilers can put up with that passing attack, O.J Anderson can and will do it running all over that relativley weak Houston 'D'.........Richard Johnson can't do it all.   

If Houston's defense is weak, who has a good one?  Dick Dick, Childress, Jones, Fuller, Kinard, etc.  50 INT for the WORST DB on the team, Childress at LB4.  I'll go to war with them any day.   

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6WcuGZt_W9TCjFlhgBDj

If Houston's defense is weak, who has a good one?  Dick Dick, Childress, Jones, Fuller, Kinard, etc.  50 INT for the WORST DB on the team, Childress at LB4.  I'll go to war with them any day.   

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6WcuGZt_W9TCjFlhgBDj

Lo White scares me though

HOU-NYG

Houstons passing attack is so dominant. White or pinket more than enough to keep the defense off balance. And richard johnson with 75 int and childress at lb 4. Slight edge HOU.

MIA-MIN Love using MIN but marino and the beastly OL negate most of the MIN defense. Also miami has good defenders in 3 of the best spots (lilb, fs,ss). Slight edge MIA.

GB-CLE This is a real toss up in my mind. Lots of JJ bombs and scrambles happen vs these two weak defenses. Problem with taking GB is you can set up all runs at Harris making him useless.

One of the better even matchups.

ATL-PHX I think I'd prefer ATL personally. Rosy's low PS hurts with those WR's. But again another close one. Rison can singlehandidly take over a game. But PHX gives you more flexibility on D. Another close one that might depend on who my opponent was.

NE-SEA Another close one where I'd lean SEA because of Kreig. Both teams have a DL that can be used to drop into coverage. NE has lippet but that offense is horrid even without grogan in.

I just lost in double OT of a tourney in IA with the Browns/Packers matchup.  I picked the matchup and got stuck with the browns.  It's pretty even, but I think the deciding factor is the CC/JJ potential with Sharpe.  He's just too fast and Magik scrambles as well as Bernie.  CLE defense is terrible.  Mack is slower than molasses, I'll take Woodside all day every day.  Slaughter is a JJ machine, but 38 MS is tough sometimes.

It's true that Sharpe is truly the only somewhat explosive player on either team.

Lo White scares me though

I always take out Lo White for Victor Jones or Pinkett (that's a 62 point swing in bc). I might risk putting White in in the second half if he's in GOOD or EXCELLENT condition - especially if I need a little offensive boost.

1. GB - CLE

I love GB in the matchup, you just have to hope QB Browns doesn't get hot and stat completing CCs and JJs all over the place.  You should be able to run easily on CLE and if Sterling Sharpe isn't over 150 rec yards, you're not using your weapons correctly

2. PHX - ATL

I like ATL due to the ability of Rison and Collins to strike quickly. PHX passing game is limited by the lack of a true deep threat.

3. MIN - MIA

I don't mind MIA's 38 MS backs because it gives you a free pass in the run game.  I'll like MIA's pass catchers vs all the drones on MIN defense (assuming my opponent uses Browner)

4. NE - SEA

SEA. Moonball vs Moonball. I like the higher PC QB.

5. HOU - GIA

If someone call this matchup you should find a new tournament. HOU should be on the banned list. I love houston vs any team but the 49ers.

1. GB - CLE

I love GB in the matchup, you just have to hope QB Browns doesn't get hot and stat completing CCs and JJs all over the place.  You should be able to run easily on CLE and if Sterling Sharpe isn't over 150 rec yards, you're not using your weapons correctly

2. PHX - ATL

I like ATL due to the ability of Rison and Collins to strike quickly. PHX passing game is limited by the lack of a true deep threat.

3. MIN - MIA

I don't mind MIA's 38 MS backs because it gives you a free pass in the run game.  I'll like MIA's pass catchers vs all the drones on MIN defense (assuming my opponent uses Browner)

4. NE - SEA

SEA. Moonball vs Moonball. I like the higher PC QB.

5. HOU - GIA

If someone call this matchup you should find a new tournament. HOU should be on the banned list. I love houston vs any team but the 49ers.

I agree (like I said in an earlier post) that I'd be pretty disappointed if someone called the HOU - GIA matchup in a tournament....but at least I'd get to be HOU!

Kierre why don't you think CLE can run on GB though. You can target Harris with sweeps to the top?

Other than that I agree with you.

I think people make the mistake of picking harris on every play. Do you really need to pick a fast defender vs a 38 or 31 MS back. I don't think you do. Depending on formation, you can use one of the safeties and defend the run better regardless of using a 25 RS guy or not.