Other Hacked/Homebrew NES ROMs

philleyOphish

keithisgood, could I use that method to play translated roms? As an example, there's some Fire Emblem games on the SNES that never released in America that I would love to play if I could.

So, if I got a Japanese rom and the translation, would I be able to patch it using the above method?

Yep, exactly this. You just need to make sure to get a clean, unaltered ROM. Be careful for already patched ROMs from download sites.

Thank you, davefmurray. :)

And there's prepatched roms out there? I didn't know about that. Is it better to do the patching myself, or get a prepatched rom?

If you download a ROM and the filename says [ENG 90%} or [+T], etc it has some sort of patch already applied.

I would highly suggest you do it yourself to make sure you know what you are getting and not some ghetto knock-off translation.

Thank you very much for the answer.

The reason I had asked is that I found this website (I have the bookmark but it's called Serene's Forest) that has translations of older Fire Emblem games that you can patch onto the Japanese roms so I was just curious about that.

Thanks for the help.:)

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Love the variety of rom hacks posted, even this year..lol!

I have one I've played for LoZ where Zelda plays the game in search for Link. The scenes and backgrounds are updated, the overworld map shows where you've been, the heart containers show more accurate health status and possibly aimed for smaller players, overworld items cost less and the game has less enemies. It appears to be a collection of tiny hacks that makes for an interesting change of scenery for sure!

The objective and everything else remains the same as the original, just with the role-reversal of course  :)

The Legend of Zelda - Hack.nes

Enjoy!

Ps. There's a small collection of hacks with similar parts added or removed as well.

• 2 months later...

Can anyone else recommend some other games on this page? I played all the ones mentioned above, and all where as great as you said they would be, I'm just looking for more or some other sports games that have been updated with present rosters? Any help would be very appreciated :-) (and please put the link to download the game like the:

philleyOphish

did above if you wouldn't mind. I don't have that strong of a PC so I can play them right from those links he posted straight to my emulator. Thanks again :-) 

@RAWryano Aside from the annual Tecmo Super Bowl ROM released by Knobbe, QBVikings, and Tecmonster, I've uploaded a handful of "current year" ROMs, to include:  Ken Griffey Baseball 2015 (SNES), RBI Baseball 3 - 2015 (NES), NHL Hockey 2015 (NES), Tecmo NBA Basketball 2016 (NES), Tecmo NCAA Basketball 2015 (NES), and Nintendo World Cup 2014 (NES).

Edited by Baron von Lector

• 5 months later...

Would anyone mind posting some more games like these on this thread!? I use these for moral for my military firefighters when they or away from their families are overseas. They LOVE what you posted so far and we have had Tecmo Bowl tournaments with the cartridges I bought from you guys the last three year. I know you can go to the ROM HACKING site but I can't figure out how to play them and Philley.... above listed some and I could get all of those working for them. They are looking for Punch Out 2 or any of those hacks and basically all the greats that people have changed around. I heard they have a hack where you can take different characters like /Mega Man, Contra, Simon, and Billy from DD through the Super Mario Brothers land? Man , they would love that!!!! So if anyone can post them on here like above, me and the 7CES NAS JAX FD would be very grateful!!!

Edited by RAWryano

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...
9 minutes ago, gojiphen malor said:

It always bothered me that Batman was pink and purple.

Fixed.

Batman (Alternate Version).nes

That's awesome & hilarious.

When I first started ROM hacking in high school, my first two projects were a graphic update to Batman and a "Rush Hour" hack of River CIty Ransom. I ran into the same issue as you during my Batman update. The entire game is black & grey. You can't see the sprites, menu & upgrades properly. lol

Batman (Alternate Version).png

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...