Tecmo Super Bowl III - Hacking/Resource Documentation

GameplayLoop

Hey Tecmo Super Bowl III fans,

I don't play the SNES/Genesis versions of this game, or later generations after NES TSB, in general. In fact, were it not for Drunken_Honkey, Hurricane, and Xplozv, TSB III would be a ghost town of untapped potential. Thanks to those three, specifically, there is likely a good bit of hacking information and/or resources that have been created for the TSB III series, if but undocumented.

Of what documentation is available, if there's anyone who is interested to act as the aggregate to pull it all together, I would be happy to post it in a pinned topic in this forum.

Psssssst. Drunken_Honkey and Hurricane, I'm looking at you, dudes. I imagine you've gotta have your secrets posted in notes somewhere. Let me know whose mom I have to get nude pictures of from this forum in order for you to start posting some more actual documentation. Otherwise, I am happy to wash my hands of this whole game.

Good luck and God Speed.

[]

Hey Tecmo Super Bowl III fans,

I don't play the SNES/Genesis versions of this game, or later generations after NES TSB, in general. In fact, were it not for Drunken_Honkey, Hurricane, and Xplozv, TSB III would be a ghost town of untapped potential. Thanks to those three, specifically, there is likely a good bit of hacking information and/or resources that have been created for the TSB III series, if but undocumented.

Of what documentation is available, if there's anyone who is interested to act as the aggregate to pull it all together, I would be happy to post it in a pinned topic in this forum.

Psssssst. Drunken_Honkey and Hurricane, I'm looking at you, dudes. I imagine you've gotta have your secrets posted in notes somewhere. Let me know whose mom I have to get nude pictures of from this forum in order for you to start posting some more actual documentation. Otherwise, I am happy to wash my hands of this whole game.

Good luck and God Speed.

Well here goes all of our data that I know of. Enjoy!! If you can't read or understand what's in it, I will try and explain when I get a chance. Hopefully we will get some help in our quest to make a 32 team TSB3 rom. Honkey Vanish!!!

Also should credit Amrush, as he gave us a lot of help early with TSB3.

Oops reposted the Bible with the right file this time!!!! yikes

OPTION CODE FROM JSTOUT.txt

SNES TSB3 Bible.zip

Edited by drunken_honkey

Drunken, eventually I'll help to extract the contents of your TSB III Bible to at least document the hack names covered in your Excel file. But before I start to dig in, I was wondering if you could help me by identifying if there are any hacks in it that would work as-is for NES TSB, but that have not also been noted prior in the Hacking Doccumentation thread Thanks, dude!

Ill check and see, but I dont think there are any as is.

Most of whats in the file are just the locations of pallets, graphics and team style control bytes (ie to control if a team plays on a regular, turf or baseball stadium). There is no real descriptions, mostly locations and what that location controls.

I dont think we added any hacks we pulled off another version of TSB coding. Meaning if we used a NES code off the site, we didnt add it to the spreadsheet.

Now some of the color pallets were given to us by Tecmo Turd and Elway I believe. I dont remember if the locations were ever posted on here.

We used this as a reference, and we just know what we are using the listed for. Some may seem useless, but everything on there we have changed for one reason or another. I can explain what everything in there is used for if anyone has questions when using it.

On the graphics tabs, the locations are of where and how a particular graphic is mapped (ie backgrounds have repeating tiles, you can control where and when they do) or laid out (ie this sprite is a 3x3 or 2x2). We went through and remapped most of those locations so that the graphics would be way easier to draw. Im about 50% the way of being able to control every background, sprite and color pallet assignment! Example... we did very little code hacking on the fields. I just learned the way TSB3 does it pallet assignments. Once I learned this, I went to the layout and changed what color pallet the game is to use when mapping out the field. Instead of using 1 of the 3 default color pallets (regular, turf or baseball) which is universal to all teams, I changed it so that it uses the home teams endzone color pallet which is unique to each team. Now I also had to do a crap load of graphics and color pallet editing to make it all work, but it was way easier than most people would think.

Edited by drunken_honkey

On Jstouts option coding, there is coding information that is in its own thread.  The play coding using the added jstout option coding is exactly the same once the locations listed in the file are edited.  I will look for that thread and add it to the post above so that anyone looking to use it can find out what to do with it once its in there. 

That reminds me about all the play coding information that is in the game.  We've broken down most of the locations that deal with play coding, including play type of the original game.  Again, it's mainly just locations and what's control at the location.  Some of which has been found for other versions but not for TSB3.   We've broken down the original play coding area and listed cheats for coding plays and defenses.   

There used to be a Hall of Fame Black Helmet attributed to the best-of-the-best TSB Coders.

That was a Tecmo Builders thing. not here.

Recognition is something on my agenda though that doesn't necessarily mean some sort of HOF.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/7/2013 at 2:46 PM, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

There used to be a Hall of Fame Black Helmet attributed to the best-of-the-best TSB Coders. I've spoken to Knobb in the past about brining something like this back. We should consider doing it like being voted into the NFL Hall of Fame.

BTW that black helmet used was from TSB3 and we found the coding to change it to the proper silver color.  :))