Super Bowl XLVII Simulation

DeBerg

With the Harbowl coming up I decided to run a simulation in TSB 1.

Cleveland and San Francisco, since after all the Ravens are the old Browns. For the Niners I took Rice out and replaced him with Turner. I figured that Randy Moss could be John Taylor. I kept Kosar in since Flacco reminds me of him a little bit (They both are slow). I kept Young in as QB since Kaepernick pretty much resembles him with all the running. I kept Metcalf in as he seemed to be the closest thing to Ray Rice. I would have preferred Garrison Hearst, but Ricky Watters had to do for the niners for Gore.

First quarter, Niners win the toss, elect to kick off. The Browns get a first down off a Vardell shotgun snap run, and a 4 yard Metcalf run. Kosar can't escape pressure and takes 2 sacks before throwing an incomplete pass. They punt, then the Niners get a first down as Young escapes heavy pressure to fly a ball to the TE Brent Jones. Next play from the Niners 46, Young goes deep and hits Turner to the Cleveland 22 yardline. 2 Watters runs and a first down puts the 49ers knocking on the door at 1st and goal from the 5. With the 1st quarter heading to an end, Young in the shotgun, takes the snap, and fires into the endzone for John Taylor TOUCHDOWN 49ERS!

0-7 Niners

2nd quarter now, Browns start at the 20, after a good run by Vardell, Kosar lays it up to a well defended Michael Jackson, who completes it to the SF 49 (This is why I kept Jackson in the game, he reminds me of Boldin). The Browns run 2 solid runs by Vardell, 1 for 8 yards, another for 5. After getting a first down in S.F. territory, Kosar lays up the bomb from the shotgun to Brian Kinchen down to the endzone and TOUCHDOWN BROWNS!

7-7

The Niners start their drive at the 12 now. Similar to their opponent, 2 strong runs by Waters, one for 8 and another for 5 get them a first down to the 25 yardline. Young from the shotgun goes deep to Brent Jones but the pass is broken up by a Cleveland defender. Very next play Young hits Turner for a 26 yard gain to the 50 yardline. Next play Young with all day to throw, goes deep to Watters but it's dropped as he tries to slide to the goalline for the catch. A huge break for the Browns. Next play Watters busts 17 yards out for a huge rush, the biggest of the day so far by both teams. Now in Cleveland territory. Next play, Young hits Watters off the side who breaks past coverage and gets a 15 yard gain. With 23 seconds to go at the 5 yardline, the Niners kick a field goal to go before the half.

7-10 Niners

With only 20 seconds left, the Browns shoot 2 passes to end the half, an in completion to Kinchen and another broken up pass intended for Michael Jackson.

Halftime

Browns 7

49ers 10

Halftime stats

Kosar 39% for 56 yards, and 1 touchdown.

Young 63% for 99 yards and 1 touchdown

Browns - 6 Runs for 45 yards

49ers - 6 Runs for 46 yards

Very even and close stats for the first half.

The 49ers receive the kick off to start the 2nd half with Marc Logan returning the kick to the 32 yardline. First play to start the 3rd half, Young runs a bootleg for 7 yards. Next play the Browns do a fine job of pushing Rathman back 2 yards on a run, forcing a 3rd down and 5 for Steve Young. Here Young goes deep down to the 20 yardline for John Taylor but the ball is too high and Taylor can't reach up for it. The Niners are forced to punt.

Metcalf returns it to the Browns 8 yardline and Kosar sets up shop there. First down, Kieth DeLong sacks Kosar good for a loss of 3 pushing them even further back to their own endzone. Next play Kosar waits and swings it out to Metcalf to the side who picks up 9 yards. Facing 3rd down and 2, they run it up the middle, Metcalf breaks a tackle and gains 4, putting them at the 22 yardline. Next play Bernie has all day to throw it, waiting for his man down field he slings a bomb to the tight end Brian Kinchen who slides for it at the 40 and is stomped down at the S.F. 33 yardline. Next play Bernie Kosar in the gun, goes all out to Mark Carrier but the pass is heavily defended, broken up and almost intercepted.  Shotgun this time again for Kosar on 2nd down, he has all day to throw and goes deep down field to Michael Jackson in the endzone! TOUCHDOWN BROWNS!

14-10 Browns

49ers start their drive at the 20, with only 48 seconds remaining in the 3rd quarter. Young, playaction, rolls to his right, and slings it to Turner who catches it between 2 defenders, first down 49ers. Next play, same play again, Young play action, rolls out and slings it to Rathman who gains 15 yards for a first down at midfield to end the 3rd quarter.

4th quarter underway as the Niners hold it at the 50 yardline. First play of the 4th quarter, Young goes deep to John Taylor but it's broken up by 2 defenders. 2nd down, Young rolls out, playaction, has all day and all the running room but throws to a short covered Rathman and the pass is incomplete. Now on 3rd down, Young runs the same play again which has kept this drive alive with the play action and rolling to his right, no one in sight, he throws a deep ball down to John Taylor who picks up 47 yards and puts the Niners at the 3 yard line. 1st and goal, shotgun snap bootleg, Young just walks it in. TOUCHDOWN 49ERS!

14-17 Niners

There is still plenty time left in the 4th quarter (4:07) for the Browns to score or at least tie it. Eric Metcalf returns it to the CLE 25, and Kosar's boys set up shop there. First play Kosar drops back, lets it loose down the middle for Kinchen but it's INTERCEPTED by Eric Davis at the 38, and now with the first turnover, San Francisco takes over in Cleveland territory. First play from the Cleveland 47 yardline, Young drops back and hits Turner up the middle, 2 missed tackles by defenders and they bring him down at the 6 yardline, a gain of 32 yards. The 49ers have been rolling in this 4th quarter. The Browns waste a time out and stop Metcalf for a loss of 1 on 1st and goal. 2nd and goal, Young, play action rolling to his right and he is monster sacked! A loss of 10! 3rd down and goal now. Time is becoming a factor, as it's 2:45 left, Young hits his TE Jones up the middle for a gain of 10 but is stopped 5 yards short of the goal line. They will kick a field goal. Mike Cofer from 13 yards out, the kick is GOOD.

14-20 Niners

2 Minute warning now, here we go the last chance for the Browns to still win this game. Eric Metcalf is downed at the 19 yardline, and now the drive starts. Kosar from the gun, he has all day to throw and he fires a deep bomb for Michael Jackson, CAUGHT at the 50, and brought down at the S.F. 35 yardline! A 47 yard pass from Kosar to Jackson! 1:13 remaining now, Kosar in the gun again, all day to throw, he goes deep again to Michael Jackson CAUGHT at 1, TOUCHDOWN! The Browns have tied the game at 55 seconds to go, and now with the extra point made, they lead!

21-20 Browns

55 seconds to go for San Francisco and all 3 timeouts. Logan returns it to the 29, 42 seconds remaining. Can the Niners get into FG range?  1st and 10 for Young at the 29, drops back and throws a quick one to a covered Watters, incomplete. 33 seconds to go now. S.F. in their 2 WR format, Watters in motion, Young takes the snap and he's sacked!!! All the way back to the 20 yardline, this setting up 3rd down and 20, with 22 seconds to go. They run it with Watters for a loss of 6 yards, now this is the game. 4th and 26 with 9 seconds to go. Final play of the game, Young has 2 guys wide open down field, and instead just slings it to Rathman for a loss of 3, end of game.

21-20 Browns win.

Here is your final statistics

Kosar 58% 223 3 TD/1 INT

Young 61% 214 2 TD/0 INT

CLE - 7 Rush 45 yards

SF - 10 Rush 50 yards

I wonder how accurate this will be when the Super Bowl is played.

One thing that was crazy was the Niners play calling. I don't see them running it with 29 seconds to go, and then with Taylor and Turner wide open down the field with 9 seconds to go he just throws it to a covered Rathman to loss 3 yards, game over. I was shocked at how statistically close the game was. That one pick by Kosar should have won it. If the Niners scored on that drive a TD, game over. That's the only thing that kept them in it, for Kosar to go out in hero mode and deliver the game winning pass.

Many parts of this seemed accurate. Only 1 run went over 10+ yards.

I don't know about all the Super passing. Kosar had huge bombs thrown all in this game, and the Niners too. I think the run statistics are probably more accurate, but I see the Niners running it better in the big game.

If anyone does throw a pick, Flacco is just waiting to throw one in my opinion, so I liked what happened there. The final play calling for the Niners was a joke.

This still would be a pretty epic 1 point winner of a Super Bowl, but I don't see that. The Niners wouldn't have wanted to run the ball with under 30 seconds to go, they would have went to the air for the long field goal and then if this really does happen, does Akers miss it or make it? Do we have another Scott Norwood in NFL history waiting under Akers?

I will do a simulation in TSB 3 tomorrow.

I ran this on my Super Nintendo using the actual game. NO edited rom, yes the Niners lost, even I was shocked by this.

To make it fair though I replaced Jerry Rice with Turner, just because I know that the 49ers do not have a WR right now at his level, and I kept John Taylor in since they have Moss on their team. I was trying to equal it out to the Niners and Ravens teams, as I stated.

I may run the sim again, but first I am doing it in TSB III.

Edited by TecmoNightmare

• 1 month later...