Best and Worst Teams on TSB SNES / Sega

Tecmo Pro

• 1 month later...

Off the wig....

BEST - San Francisco, Dallas, Buffalo, Pittsburgh (the usual supects)

WORST - Indianapolis, New England, Tampa Bay

No real in depth analysis, just a quick thought.

Pretty good list.  The best in order are:

BUF - Uber Safeties put them over the top

SF - Insane offense, lacking an Elite DB

Dallas - Similar to SF but without the scrambling QB

Philly  - They have Cunningham and solid at most other positions

The worst in order are:

NE - Terrible QBs, bad everywhere.

Indy - Servicable Jeff George makes them better than NE, Coryatt on defense

Tampa Bay - Offense stinks but they do have a few decent defenders in Mayhew and Nickerson

I would say San Fran, Buffalo, Dallas, Houston are the top 4.

Atlanta has always been one of my favorite teams (hence the BMR avatar).  They aren't the elite that you mentioned, but they have a great passing game and some studs on defense like Sanders and Tuggle (also, they have Sanders' return game).

Oops I forgot Eagles who would be among the Oilers Dolphins tier

I am sure there are rankings somewhere in the forum.

Bills and 49ers...the 90s Super Bowl that never was are definitely the best two. Cowboys are a step down along with Oilers, then Steelers and Dolphins and maybe Chargers

i would replace pittsburgh with houston.

Houston has a great pass offense, but their running game never impressed me, so puts them a notch down for me. Defense is good, nothing impressive.

I am sure there are rankings somewhere in the forum.

Bills and 49ers...the 90s Super Bowl that never was are definitely the best two. Cowboys are a step down along with Oilers, then Steelers and Dolphins and maybe Chargers

Nah Cowboys > Oilers.

Cowboys are a step down because they lack a DB and aren't quite as unstoppable on offense as Bills and 49ers.

The Cowboys offense is behind 49ers, but I would put them on par with the Bills. Kelly and Aikman is a wash and so is Thurman and Emmitt. Reed slightly edges out Irvin but Novacek/Harper > Mckellar/Beebe.

Defensively I'll take the Cowboys front 7, I mean they rated Bennett above B.Smith... what?!? But Buffalo has the better secondary.

Pretty good list.  The best in order are:

BUF - Uber Safeties put them over the top

SF - Insane offense, lacking an Elite DB

Dallas - Similar to SF but without the scrambling QB

Philly  - They have Cunningham and solid at most other positions

The worst in order are:

NE - Terrible QBs, bad everywhere.

Indy - Servicable Jeff George makes them better than NE, Coryatt on defense

Tampa Bay - Offense stinks but they do have a few decent defenders in Mayhew and Nickerson

Buffalo's safeties can be a problem, but Young > Kelly, Rice > Reed, Taylor > Beebe, B. Jones > McKellar is too much for Thurman and the 2 safties too make up to me.

SF's offence is slightly more potent than Dallas, but I love the running game Emmitt brings. Aikman can't scramble, but if you hold that against him, you have to hold it against Kelly.

Philly forgot about them, likely cuz R. White was on Green Bay.

I would say San Fran, Buffalo, Dallas, Houston are the top 4.

Atlanta has always been one of my favorite teams (hence the BMR avatar).  They aren't the elite that you mentioned, but they have a great passing game and some studs on defense like Sanders and Tuggle (also, they have Sanders' return game).

Is Houston really above Pittsburgh. Great passing offense, maybe I'm overlooking White at RB. Falcons with that D? Sanders is a beast, but just kick into the end zone and neutralize him. Although Tuggle and Holt do get overlooked.

The Eagles are DEFINITLY one............They have HERSCHEL WALKER & RANDALL CUNNINGHAM.  Plus there 'D' is definitly above average......what more do you need????????

Two things that keep the Eagles from the elite...

1. No Reggie White (still have a very good D)

2. Shitty ass receivers

Cunningham has to carry the load here. Who is Philly's best receiver? I can't even remember.

So the general consensus is.....

Buffalo and SF - #1 and #2 depending who you place where

Dallas - #3

Houston - #4

Philly -#5

Edited by thalivest

Fred Barnett is a 44ms 63rec for the eagles and is all they have.

I disagree that Cowboy offense is on par with the Bills. Aikmen has a notch of PC on Kelly but Bills are faster everywhere else. The second and third option receivers don't matter that much.

And you need those Bills safeties to have a chance of keeping the other passing games in check.

As for Cowboys vs. Oilers, Lo White is only one notch down in MS while the Oiler passing game is better in every way than Cowboys.

Edited by bgboud2

Fred Barnett is a 44ms 63rec for the eagles and is all they have.

I disagree that Cowboy offense is on par with the Bills. Aikmen has a notch of PC on Kelly but Bills are faster everywhere else. The second and third option receivers don't matter that much.

And you need those Bills safeties to have a chance of keeping the other passing games in check.

As for Cowboys vs. Oilers, Lo White is only one notch down in MS while the Oiler passing game is better in every way than Cowboys.

Fred Barnett?!? Can we get Cunningham some actual receivers?

QB - Even (but stastically Aikman may be a notch better)

RB - Thomas (not by much -  69 MS, 25 HP, 56 REC vs. 63 MS, 56 HP, 44 REC)

WR/TE - Irvin/Harper/Novacek > Reed/Beebe/McKellar (Reed is the best, but 2nd and 3rd receivers don't matter, come on B? You're telling me Thurman catching out of the backfield is a non factor?)

So I don't see how Buffalo is significantly better on offense? I agree those 2 safeties on Buffalo make a big difference on defense, but I'm not a fan of the programmers jacked B.Smith 56 MS 69 HP? That MS has to be 63, there's no way Bennett (63 MS) is faster than B. Smith.

The Oilers passing game may be the best in the game, SF may dispute. I've always slept on Lo White, part of the reason in the run and shoot offence the RB doesn't play a big part. Jeffries, Givins,, Slaughter etc. he always seems like a forgotton option. I'd have to look at their defences closely to make a final decison. I remember Childress and Al Smith from the Oilers defense.

One notch of MS is big at RB...

Affirmative.

Edited by thalivest

You lost me when you affirmed that a notch of MS is big at RB but said Thermal's 69 vs. Emmit's 63 was small.

I wouldn't sa y "big" but "significant". I would have Thurman > Emmitt but MS is 69 > 63 but HP is 56 to 25. That big a gap in HP makes the 69 > 63 MS a little closer. If the HP wasn't so huge then that notch would be more ignificant. What does it for with Thurman is 56 to 44 REC. For RB's I think the 3 most important attribures are MS, HP, REC.

Started a season with the Cowboys and the passing game is solid. Only changed one play (that was in the 4th game) but Aikman is killing it. Best pure passer of Young, Marino, Moon. Flip Irvin/Harper every now and then, but it's great. Have one WR go deep, the other on the outside, Novacek over the middle, Smith out of the backfield. I figure I can play with any offense with the right playbook. But Aikman, Emmitt, Irvin, Harper, Novacek and even Johntson (makes some catches and the occasional run). So many weapons. I don't understand people who say this offence is not elite. It may not be as explosive as SF/Houston ban be when necessary.

I say

The Best

1. Dallas - Offense and defense is phenomenal

2. San Francisco - Offense is a machine, best in the game, defense is average

3. Buffalo - The usual suspects

4. Houston - Offense is a top machine, and defense is great.

5. New Orleans - Average offense, but that defense is the best in the game.

The Worst

1. Seattle - Yes they have Chris Warren and Cortez Kennedy but Dan McGwire is enough said

2. New England - Terrible all around

3. Phoenix - They are flat out awful

4. Indianapolis - I like George, but they also have Coryatt and Steve Emtman on defense who are a huge help.

5. Cincinnati - Come on, David friggin' Klinger is one of the worst QB's ever, and their defense is really bad.

I'd say Tampa Bay, but I've played with them enough to realize Reggie Cobb is a great RB.

@thalivest - They made most of the DL slower than the OLB/rush DE types in this game.  Bruce and Reggie White are both 56 MS.  Guys like Derrick Thomas, Bryan Cox, etc. are faster.  This makes sense in my opinion (at least from a realism perspective).

@DeBerg - Missing the mark on some of your rankings, check the attributes.  Dallas does not have a great defense.  New Orleans defense is not even close to the best in the game.  Seattle is not near the worst team, they have Warren (56 MS), Kennedy (top 3 DL), but they also have JL Williams (69 REC) and a top tier DB in Eugene Robinson (69 INT).  Phoenix and Cincy are both better than TB, they both have 56 MS RBs (Hearst and Harold Green) and Phoenix has good WRs as well.  Both of those teams have a few controllable defenders also.

Hate to break it to you but HP does nothing for breaking tackles.

It does on the later snes versions, and the game can be modified to make it matter such as in the league I run.

Glad to see the Saints get a little love but that offense is too limited. Rob I don't know why you say the Saints defense is not in the discussion though. Not the best but I would say in top 5.

Edited by bgboud2

@thalivest - They made most of the DL slower than the OLB/rush DE types in this game.  Bruce and Reggie White are both 56 MS.  Guys like Derrick Thomas, Bryan Cox, etc. are faster.  This makes sense in my opinion (at least from a realism perspective).

Isn't Reggie White 69 MS? I think others Clyde Simmons, Cortez Kennedy, Wayne Martin and Chris Doleman are all 63 MS. An a couple of others I may be forgetting, Neil Smith comes to mind. I understand the realism, but Bruce should on par with those aforementioned players and he'd a DE.

Hate to break it to you but HP does nothing for breaking tackles.

It does on the later snes versions, and the game can be modified to make it matter such as in the league I run.

Glad to see the Saints get a little love but that offense is too limited. Rob I don't know why you say the Saints defense is not in the discussion though. Not the best but I would say in top 5.

HP doesn't? This can't be true. I'm gonna have to change certain aspects of my thinking regarding TSB if this is the case.

Saints defense is underrated. Wayne Martin, Ricky Jackson, Sam Mills and Vaughan Johnson. That secondary leaves something to be desired though.

@DeBerg - Missing the mark on some of your rankings, check the attributes.  Dallas does not have a great defense.  New Orleans defense is not even close to the best in the game.  Seattle is not near the worst team, they have Warren (56 MS), Kennedy (top 3 DL), but they also have JL Williams (69 REC) and a top tier DB in Eugene Robinson (69 INT).  Phoenix and Cincy are both better than TB, they both have 56 MS RBs (Hearst and Harold Green) and Phoenix has good WRs as well.  Both of those teams have a few controllable defenders also.

Who would you say has the best defense in the game if New Orleans is not even close? From all my years of playing, i don't see any team with a better defense than that. They have the best Linebacker core IMO, and Dallas does have a good defense, just not a great secondary. With the Saints, you have Sam Mills, Jackson, Wayne Martin, and Vaughan Johnson who can be sack monsters at any time. That's a huge pick up I think.