Best Defender To Chose

Tecmo Pro

There is no definitive position on who you should chose. Again, online play is different from console play.  Online, all the top players use one of the safeties. This is due to the fact that almost all leagues allow you to put your best defender at any secondary postion you want.

It all depends on which team you're using, what team you're playing against, CPU or man. So many variables to consider. The Chargers for instance I can't say probably Leslie O'Neal or Junior Seau. But if I'm playing a team with a weak running game or that is pass happy, may play with someone from the secondary. I agree with Kierre, as I generally play with safeties, but I may swith it up.

Recently I just played with Minnesota and used Chris Doleman the entire game on defense, had 2 sacks, 2 hurries (one which Randle or Del Rio ended up getting the sack) a forced fumble and recovery, and rushed Aikman into a pic. I just made a point to play with Doleman onD the entire time just for gathering intel. I have some other thoughts but don't want to give up too much strategy.

• 2 months later...

Recently I just played with Minnesota and used Chris Doleman the entire game on defense, had 2 sacks, 2 hurries (one which Randle or Del Rio ended up getting the sack) a forced fumble and recovery, and rushed Aikman into a pic. I just made a point to play with Doleman onD the entire time just for gathering intel. I have some other thoughts but don't want to give up too much strategy.

I, too enjoy sticking with one player throughout the game. It would be fun to do that for one player for an entire season, see what kind of stats one can pile up, etc.

Recently I began a series of seasons, choosing the worst finishing team from the previous year. So, I'm the Buccaneers (after 2-14 season). They are a poor defensive team. Mayhew (CB1) is the only DB with decent 'user pick' ability. Thomas (LB4) is the best overall, while Nickerson (LB3) is good and so is Dotson (LE).

Player conditions are very important, both on offense and defense, so these affect who I am both in defending the pass and the run. If I have a feeling they are going to run up the gut then I can be an LB and swoop in; if pass I can be the same and bump Dotson free. If 3rd and long and I want a user pick, it's Mayhew.

What keirre said about safeties makes a lot of sense, especially in online play, but playing console with a team like the Buccaneers I'd much rather go with the one of the four players I mentioned, or another guy who is in good or excellent condition.