Madison, WI - 03/02/13 - TecmoIX: Marino Royale

holzy11

what a great time i had in mad-town at the badger bowl. Congrats to Chet H for taking the title home. Congrats to Reg., Daboy., jeff b. (i played him to a draw in tecmo7), mort, bgboud, and other elite 8 finishers. I had bad tournament. I went 3-1 in group play (1loss was to kyle f.). I losted in first round to matt b (21kc to 14cin)....14 to 14 in the 4th....my fg attempt gets blocked midway thru the 4th....i hold him 3 and out on D...then he punts. My heart skipped a beat as sensed something was about go horribly wrong... a perfectly a placed punt to ickey woods (i couldnt get out of bounds)  was fumbled and he scooped and scored. I hail mary jj would not connect. Goat: Ickey woods and the "boomdawg". My problem seems to be that my offense goes to sleep in second half of games sometimes. my vaunted "kicking games" efforts (i only blockked 1 kick thru -out the tourney) finally did me in for once!!!....after the tournament i beat adam "garbage" g. of wisc in couple of games...i was outtapping him in the games but when he challeneged me to jucie off he outtaped me every time!!!! Did regulator and Adam G have rematch of the juice-off.? i had fun time plaza bitching up a storm at the "damn tecmo gods". I BLAMe my poor performance on combination of too much online play and the scooot norwood card matt vogt slipped in my pocket at the boneyard. I look forward to "GOING UNDEFEATED IN "MORT's BOUNTY BOWL" i dont care about pissing the tecmo gods of any more.

My recap will be the same as what I did last year, simply copy and paste my tweets from the day. To those of you already following me, read it anyway.

7:11 PM - Mar 1, 2013: Another journey to #tecmoix tweet.

12:03 AM - Mar 2, 2013: #hotelbars #undergroundtecmo #tecmoix

9:01 AM - Mar 2, 2013: Morning preparations. #shit #shower #tecmoix

10:26 AM - Mar 2, 2013: TWO LOVECHILDS! #tecmoix  (For those not at the tournament, Josh said love-child was the password to get the 2 for 1 fat tire special at the bar)

11:51 AM - Mar 2, 2013: Still undefeated. Jets defense TORE SHIT UP. #tecmoix

1:01 PM - Mar 2, 2013: 2-0 Andre Rison 4 catches, 201 yards, 4 TDs. I think. Whatever, I won. #tecmoix #garbage

2:06 PM - Mar 2, 2013: STILL UNDEFEATED! SHOTS OF WHISKEY! GOT TO PLAY AS DEION SANDERS AGAIN! #TECMOIX

2:19 PM - Mar 2, 2013: @TecmoGodfather knows how to pick em. Group x winner: Flo. #tecmoix #tecmostradamus #justkiddingGLwiththekid

2:24 PM - Mar 2, 2013: I'm better at Tecmo than all these people. #tecmoix pic.twitter.com/0hLodrfm2h

4:02 PM - Mar 2, 2013: Angry drunk tweets start now. #tecmoix

4:05 PM - Mar 2, 2013: #fuckyou #tecmoix #thissomebullshit

4:23 PM - Mar 2, 2013: Orenga is garbage #tecmoix #teammort

4:31 PM - Mar 2, 2013: This isnt even elite eight. #tecmoix #teammort #orengagarbage #imbetterthanbothofthem pic.twitter.com/oxDphvesRx

5:11 PM - Mar 2, 2013: Nothing better than Tecmo sob stories. #tecmoix #ifeelyourpain #flouseshashtagsinappropriately

5:53 p.m. - Mar 2, 2013: Mort in the elite eight. #tecmoix #duh #teammort #fuckalltheseassholes

6:34 PM - Mar 2, 2013: For anyone looking for up to the date Madison Tecmo coverage, look elsewhere. I'm drinking whiskey. #tecmoix

7:50 p.m. - Mar 2, 2013: @mattyv54 is a sore loser. Get the fuck off me! #tecmoix

8:30 PM - Mar 2, 2013: $100 to anybody who can beat me in street Tecmo #tecmoix #icantletthisshitgo #soreloser

9:42 p.m. - Mar 2, 2013: Someone won the tournament. I've been undefeated in garbage Tecmo since I've been eliminated. #tecmoix #sourgrapes

10:24 PM - Mar 2, 2013: Throughout the day, probably the same record as Chet. #imthebest #tecmoix

10:44 p.m. - Mar 2, 2013: The cover band is as bad as the Tecmo competition. #somehowstillsalty #tecmoix

10:51 PM - Mar 2, 2013: Still haven't found enough kesslers or cheese curds to drown the sorrows. #tecmoix

11:14 p.m. - Mar 2, 2013: Tecmo Madison is definitely the Christmas of Tecmo. A disappointing Christmas where your parents neglect you. #tecmoix

11:37 PM - Mar 2, 2013: I need to convince the friends to go to the plaza. #truetecmo #tecmoix #dumbhashtags

12:38 AM - Mar 3, 2013: The plaza. Tecmo heaven. Sobriety sucks. #tecmoix #backtomyroots #flostillsuckswithtags #imthebesttecmoerever

1:49 a.m. - Mar 3, 2013: I hate all these counts. #yoloswag #fuckalllyalllllll #imthebezt

8:39 AM - Mar 3, 2013: Uuuggghh. I'm great at Tecmo #tecmoix

9:24 a.m. - Mar 3, 2013: My voice is shot. A lot of shit-talk last night. #tecmoix

11:45 AM - Mar 3, 2013: I'm late to the party, but #eatshitorenga

And for anyone who made it this far, I do get salty after losses, but I'm not that confident in my game.I also had an amazing time. I can't wait to go to my ninth Madison tournament next year.

Thanks everyone for coming to the tournament. As usual, Chet and Josh put on a great tournament--thought as they have said before, it helps to have such great tournament committee members:

--Tony Orenga kills it as our webmaster and database admin

--Dan Durch always comes with a great logo idea for the t-shirts and the brackets

--Joe Joyce provides much needed levity and sports savvy

--Behind great committee men stands the even greater women of Tecmo, without whom this thing would be a gong show organizationally

And of course, Chet and Josh. Two guys who have turned a small idea to alleviate boredom into something greater than ourselves. I'm happy that two of my best friends in the world allow me along for the ride every year we do this. 

As for my recap: I won some, I lost one. It was fun. Though I could have done without a few things: 

1. playing moulds33 twice back to back was rough--he's a good player and those games were both fun and exhausting

2. driving 4 hours to play a guy I live 20 minutes from was fun (kingsoby1), I guess

3. driving 4 hours to play a guy I've played at least 200 times, if not more, over the years was even better

Other than those minor, minor issues this was another excellent tournament. 

I say this every year but it always bears repeating. Try and come to this event. It is easily the most fun to be had playing Tecmo a guy could have. And if you don't make Madison, go to another live tournament. Playing against someone who is sitting next to you in a chair surrounded by screaming drunks (or not if someone pays for them to go away) is an experience that is missing nowadays. There is nothing like the pressure of live competition in front of your friends, your peers, and obviously the scads of Tecmo groupies that are always at these things. Where else can you see a grown man with a cut up, purple and white mattress cushion helmet play a game against a guy in a suit and bow tie? Where else do you have pictures of 40+ people hanging on every flicker of a video game released when we were all kids? Just make it to one tournament, just one, and I'll promise you'll be hooked on the things for life. Just look at me. I was at the first one and got my tail smacked and went 0-2. Now I get to crow about beating Sobhi while the best man at my wedding is celebrating a second straight title. 

Tecmo Madison was phenomenal!

I have thoroughly enjoyed every moment of this last month. Practicing with Carlberg online and having a mixture of excitement, confidence and fear after every game. Talking to my wife about the tourney and Tecmo in general ad nauseum. (She officially understands the anomaly that is Bob Nelson.) Sneaking peeks of this message board at work, while also consuming any information/write ups on anything tecmo. (Am I the only one that tried to do his own "where are they now" of original tecmo players?) Reading Mort's write ups on Tecmo and literally being in awe. (I didn't ask, but I wonder if he carries an original NES Tecmo Super Bowl cartridge with him at all times for good luck.)  Arriving Saturday morning and feeling the excitement and anticipation in the air. The great work that went into the set-up of the tourney. (That has to feel like a second job at times and thank yous and props to the madison crew and holzbauers can not be said enough. ) Watching the ups and downs of everyone in the tourney. (Lots of heartbreak out there.) Meeting great people throughout the day. (Everyone was in a great mood and just looking to be friendly and have a good time. Tecmo is good people.) Watching the final four and feeling like I was at a real sporting event. (pretty unreal that the same two people made the finals again....anyone think Chet holzBAUER is somehow related to Jack Bauer from 24. Getting out of that impossible situation against Daboy seems to be evidence.) Saturday night debauchery. (Nothing like going for a run three days after and having to stop because your body is about to shut down.)

Final thought. People are the best. Tecmo is a great game, and draws us together, and I it is great to read this message board and hear about the stories and friendships made. Until next year. #sappy

As for my recap: I won some, I lost one. It was fun. Though I could have done without a few things: 

1. playing moulds33 twice back to back was rough--he's a good player and those games were both fun and exhausting

Those were good games man, great meeting you!  I couldn't believe we got paired up again.  When people ask how I did, I just say I only got beat by the guy who knocked out Sobhi.   :)

Edited by moulds33

Group Play:

I never felt like any of these games were in doubt, 3-0 with a min 10 point margin. I beat Barry BobNelson 28-10 with Dolphins on Vikes and he was second in our group. Despite a minor beer headache/hangover from the night before I felt like I was playing sharp and in "average" to eventually "good" condition as far as tapping goes for me.

(In between group play and single elim. was my ETC game vs. regulator which I managed to win 21-14 thanks in part to a peete injury)

Single Elim:

vs. Steven M. Meest
He called Broncos Bengals, so I was Bengals. With him losing two fumbles I had a big lead, but after he made it 24-14, I had a long kick return that returned the fumble favor when I had no business risking a tackle at that point. He scored again but didn't kick onside, so I was able to run out the clock without sweating too much, 24-21.

vs. Barry BobNelson
He called Bengals Chiefs and I went with Chiefs. He had some of the entourage behind him this time. After driving for a score and then forcing a punt, I thought this might be easy again, but it wasn't the case, as it was still 7-7 in the fourth with him ready to take the lead. He'd been having some success with the two oneback plays to Brooks, but finally I shut it down and forced a FG attempt. DT came through with the block and then I drove for the winning TD, 14-7.

vs. MattB Heechy
He had just knocked out ryanr33fulcher. He called Redskins Bucs so I went Bucs and shut things down for a 17-3 win.

6-0 with no grapples lost to this point.

Double Elim:

vs. Lucas S Breaker
I knew nothing about Lucas, now that the results are up I see he had wins on tecmopsycho, matt vogt, and sonofpatbeach. He called Redskins and Bengals, so Bengals was the obvious choice. I could tell he had some tappability as he won the first grapple on me, seemingly confident, but I took care of the rest of them. Not sure if the A button had any trouble, but the B button certainly did and that cost me a couple of times as I tried to pass and it didn't work, so had to settle for QB runs. Despite having lost a fumble I was up 14-10 while Lucas had a chance to take the lead in the fourth. I thought I had sealed the game when I made a Fulcher JJ interception in the endzone. After I drove to midfield, he called my T formation pass 3 and even though I threw to a good Holman, it was intercepted by someone not named Mayhew. He drove to my 10, and previously had shown he was good at timing the pass 3 post JJ. I survived it down to the last play of the game...

vs. Regulator
He called Raiders Bears. My decisions went to shit at this point as I thought I might have a better shot with the Bears secondary and chose good side. He took Raiders, and though I made him fight for every yard on his first drive, it eventually all went to shit, 28-7.

vs. Daboy
I finally won a toss again called Dolphins Chiefs and he chose Chiefs. After a methodical drive of basically all passes against my called runs, he went up 7-0. I drove back to tie 7-7. Another drive and eventually I was in no man's land with three open receivers to cover...he threw short to Okoye forcing the autodive but got caught at the goal line by two drones and leading to a fumble in the endzone. I drove to his redzone, but in hindsight wasted time as I let clock run for the FG when I should've taken one more TD shot. On the FG, DT came through to block it. As for the second half, I had to punt the first drive. At some point Okoye made 20 yards on a called third and long where he looked surrounded by drones but broke out and I was too far behind the play. Later Percy Snow blocked a Marino pass, thought he was too low to do that but could either be wrong or conditions...a deep shot to Duper Covered by DT was overthrown, and there was also a called pass on 4th and 1 that I couldn't hit. Lost 21-7.

Anyway, it was nice to advance; in my prior two Madison trips I lost early to Mort and Regulator who went all the way to the title game after that...thus in bracket play I've only lost to top 3 finishers.

Edited by bgboud2

Owen Good's article about this year's tournament is up on Kotaku.com -- it's a great read!

http://kotaku.com/5989812/the-best-at-tecmo-super-bowl-settle-a-claim-everyone-makes

Owen also interviewed on The Beat of Sports.

>http://thebeatofsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Owen-Good-interview.mp3

• 3 weeks later...