Madison, WI - 03/02/13 - TecmoIX: Marino Royale

holzy11

224 players.  do the math!  :)

we'll be rocking it at our hotel for a long while i'm sure, then out to the bars in the evening.  downtown, there are sure to be tecmoers everywhere, and from what I understand there will be people playing, and setting up stations on friday night at badger bowl!

Madison VII:  I was sitting at the next playing station over, playing in my very disappointing Elite 8 loss to eventual winner, Jimmy B, where I fumbled twice in the final 3 minutes - but had a chance to catch part of this one, as I recall us setting our controllers down for the thrilling finish.  I didn't believe it then, and I still can't believe it!

FF to about the 5:25 mark to get to the good stuff!

Edited by brodell

Madison VII:  I was sitting at the next playing station over, playing in my very disappointing Elite 8 loss to eventual winner, Jimmy B, where I fumbled twice in the final 3 minutes - but had a chance to catch part of this one, as I recall us setting our controllers down for the thrilling finish.  I didn't believe it then, and I still can't believe it!

Crazy.  I have a video from Tomczak Bowl IV of the final minutes of the championship game.  I really need to upload that one.  It's pretty insane.

At the 6:50 mark on the video, Is that legal where the guy rushes w/ Reggie White between the center and tackle?

At the 6:50 mark on the video, Is that legal where the guy rushes w/ Reggie White between the center and tackle?

By posted definition, no. Good spot. He did not go around the tackle, but did go around the center, or popcorn anyone.

"Lurching: Lurching is prohibited. If you want to rush with a DL, you must either go outside the offensive tackle or “popcorn” someone on the offensive line. You cannot simply go around your blocker and dive. Note that this rule does not apply to LBs."

He didn't lurch either. A lurch being a insta-dive of sorts.

By posted definition, no. Good spot. He did not go around the tackle, but did go around the center, or popcorn anyone.

"Lurching: Lurching is prohibited. If you want to rush with a DL, you must either go outside the offensive tackle or “popcorn” someone on the offensive line. You cannot simply go around your blocker and dive. Note that this rule does not apply to LBs."

He didn't lurch either. A lurch being a insta-dive of sorts.

Okay, thanks for the response. I assumed that move is illegal, but wanted to verify.

Okay, thanks for the response. I assumed that move is illegal, but wanted to verify.

Might need a ruling on that.  He ran to the other side of the blocker on a shotgun.

That's not any faster than a LB would have got there.

Technically the rule might have been broken but the spirit of the rule is not.  I would assume such a lengthy explanation would only make things worse.

Hmm, you know, I have done this a couple of times in TPC games, and felt kind of naughty myself.  After reading Murray's recitation of the rule, I definitely think this should be illegal, or atleast verbally legalized, so there is no misunderstanding.  If this is in fact allowed, you have to admit, being able to then dive with that DL, in any shape or form would not be something that we can allow.

I think the rule definitely needs a little more clarification prior to kickoff.  Here is the original rule again...

"Lurching is prohibited. If you want to rush with a DL, you must either go outside the offensive tackle or “popcorn” someone on the offensive line. You cannot simply go around your blocker and dive. Note that this rule does not apply to LBs."

Ricos top five

1 Chet h.

strengths. everything, the guy plays well at all aspects of the game.

weakness. most people who are 43-1. would probably be over confident. this may be a issue.

2 Matt V.

strengths. just a stud tapping, passing, running did i mention hes a stud

weakness. his brother constantly in his ear yapping about the 513 may, distract him

3 Mort

strenght. nobody will try harder than this guy. not to mention he is the master of the arrow trick

weakness. once again a sibling. Louis's thirst for Wisconsin beers and white women can and will distract everyone including Mort.

4 regulator

strength. as one of the best tappers, regs will surely use it to his advantage

weakness. he taunts the Tecmo gods with insulting T shirts that are 3 sizes two small.

5 Sobhi

strength's. tecmo knowledge has ran threw his veins longer than most of us could imagine. also jimmy B not in tourney helps him greatly

weakness. even he has self proclaimed himself as "rusty"

honorable mention

Jon J.- online garbage. but i hope he does well

josh H. -hes recently married does the man even play tecmo?

James T.- haven't heard any thing but hell of a player

sleepers

Eric o. -not really. he has no shot.

troy H. always competes two final fours some how still a sleeper

Derrick R. ill rout for anybody in a haddix jersey

now i pray to the tecmo gods..

Edited by ryanr33fulcher

Might need a ruling on that.  He ran to the other side of the blocker on a shotgun.

That's not any faster than a LB would have got there.

Technically the rule might have been broken but the spirit of the rule is not.  I would assume such a lengthy explanation would only make things worse.

I asked before last years tourney if you could run a "Stunt" with the Defensive Ends, where you go around the DT and in between the Guard and Center.  I was told that was not permitted by one of the Holz Brothers so i'm assuming nothing has changed this year.

Edited by smoolorf

Apropos of nothing, I have to say: As both an aficionado and connoisseur of funny, made-up names, "Butt Douglas" is incredibly well-done and still makes me laugh. Lots of staying power. I tip my cap.

Made-up?

Rusty Shackleford was always my favorite.

5735793965_ce382bc5c3.jpg

The Southeastern Tecmo Bowl Association would like to offer the Final 4 of this years Madison Tournament free entry into the 2014 SETA Championship which will be held in January.(exact date TBD)

We want to wish everyone good luck and safe travels.

Long live Tecmo !!!

Technically, it's not legal. It may not be a true lurch in the eyes of some, but we purposely defined lurching broadly because we didn't want to start judging, on a case-by-case basis, whether a certain maneuver constitutes a lurch. Simplicity takes precedence, particularly with a field of this size. Bottom line: If you're going to use a DL, either popcorn someone on the OL or rush outside the tackle. 

I feel like such a dumbass I live in Oshkosh so thats only 90 minutes away and i didn't know it was this weekend or else maybe I would have went down there and I have friends I could hang out with.