Madison, WI - 03/02/13 - TecmoIX: Marino Royale

holzy11

TecmoIX is just two weeks away! Time permitting, we do intend to re-introduce double-elimination beginning at the Elite 8 in Bracket Play. If you survive the first few rounds of single-elimination in Bracket Play, therefore, you can afford one misstep.

Below are a number of discussion points for the next few weeks:

(1) Who are your tournament darkhorses/sleepers? Most outside of Nebraska seem to be unaware of Luke C’s ability. Truth be told, he’s one of the favorites for those in the know. Super sleepers are Adam “Garbage” Gauthier, Joseph N, and Jack H.  Garbage is the fastest juicer in the field and always seems to make the Elite 8. Will his drunkenness again derail him? Joseph N is very highly regarded in Nebraska circles. And Bgboud’s been man-crushing on Louisiana’s Jack H for a year. Madison, however, is not Louisiana, so we will see.

(2) Which big name will not survive group play? Given group play’s format this year, I think several big names could fail to advance. I’m not saying Kevin M (TecmoV Champ) will fail to advance, but he sure looked rusty a few weeks ago. I’m also concerned about Josh H. The guy just got married, his head is in the clouds, and he’s not even playing. Upset alert!

(3) Who will be the TecmoIX Champion? I’ll take last year’s runner-up, Regulator. Part of me wants to take Daboy, but I don’t quite trust him to survive until double-elimination is re-introduced. Given my lack of preparation, my game probably isn't sharp enough to do real damage. And it seems like Mort hasn’t beaten an elite player west of the Appalachians since TecmoVII, so I can’t take him either. 

(3) Who will be the TecmoIX Champion? I’ll take last year’s runner-up, Regulator. Part of me wants to take Daboy, but I don’t quite trust him to survive until double-elimination is re-introduced. Given my lack of preparation, my game probably isn't sharp enough to do real damage. And it seems like Mort hasn’t beaten an elite player west of the Appalachians since TecmoVII, so I can’t take him either.

Nothing like the defending champ sandbagging and excuse building 3 weeks before the competition.

As for your documentary buddy mort--the guy may have had his email hacked, but he's got the blog and he's been aggressive about talking about our recent rule changes...something he's been championing since Ricky Sanders blew him up last year. I don't know if all those distractions are going to haunt him or give him the fire to reclaim a title.

Anyone in the Twin Cities area want to get together and practice for Tecmo IX?  Contact me at [email protected].

Where in the Twin Cities metro do you live? I can't make the Madison tournament this year (I'm in physical pain because of it), but I'm always down for live competition. I'm technically in New Brighton, just north of St. Paul.

I'm in Blaine. 8-Bit is in Burnsville or Apple Valley or somewhere in the south of the cities. There is enough people, just nowhere to host.

I noticed that on the player's map! We're close (geographically speaking anyway). I played in a volleyball league at BeBops in Blaine last summer. Have you been there? That'd be a great venue for a tournament.

TecmoIX is just two weeks away! Time permitting, we do intend to re-introduce double-elimination beginning at the Elite 8 in Bracket Play. If you survive the first few rounds of single-elimination in Bracket Play, therefore, you can afford one misstep.

Below are a number of discussion points for the next few weeks:

(1) Who are your tournament darkhorses/sleepers? Most outside of Nebraska seem to be unaware of Luke C’s ability. Truth be told, he’s one of the favorites for those in the know. Super sleepers are Adam “Garbage” Gauthier, Joseph N, and Jack H.  Garbage is the fastest juicer in the field and always seems to make the Elite 8. Will his drunkenness again derail him? Joseph N is very highly regarded in Nebraska circles. And Bgboud’s been man-crushing on Louisiana’s Jack H for a year. Madison, however, is not Louisiana, so we will see.

(2) Which big name will not survive group play? Given group play’s format this year, I think several big names could fail to advance. I’m not saying Kevin M (TecmoV Champ) will fail to advance, but he sure looked rusty a few weeks ago. I’m also concerned about Josh H. The guy just got married, his head is in the clouds, and he’s not even playing. Upset alert!

1. Sleeper is the whole 513 gang...the two vogt brothers have improved there games. and matt diaz and s. engel are also good players. Aslong as matt and chris get there "kicking games" down they should be tough outs this year!!

2. Im vulernable to not making out of group play because i always draw a tough opponent in the 1st game...and get offf to bad starts sometimes..in Cincy i losted to Tony O (avgtsbplayer)...in detroit i drawed bradbears and losted...in conn. my first game went to ot....in nyc i drawed two tough players in my group...

3. No predictions on winner...too tough to predict!!!

4.. Ill say this about "mort" got the friday off. No driving thru the middle of the night and sleeping i reststops for madison.  In the nyc, conn (2), detroit and new jersey tourney's...we left after "mort" worked a full shift that friday night....drove in the night,,,slept in the car at reststops. showed up at tourney's with a couple hours of sleep in the morn. yet he won 4 out of those 5 tournies when he was dead tired from driving. He know's he has to continue get better or becuase im close to surpassing him!!! So he is hungry more than last year!!! 

5. The elite "8" double elimination format probably reduces the chances of a longshot winning it all. The nyc and conn. tournies used the same format. I beat mort once in "conn. cuban bowl 4"... but he had a catlife left..and he fought thru the loser's bracket and he beat twice in a row in championship round. And those tournies have good players like Arncoem, ChoasRison (he beat mort a couple times in Nyc and conn.), and others. Not sure why tecmomadison.com didnt list the results (i know its lotta of work for tony). Id luv to go to the tournies in iowa and nebraska but its to far of a trip in winter and see how i stack up vs the "frontier tecmo players"!!!  just a lil joke...every region has good players capable of doing damage in madison!!!

7.. Get a ryder cup going this summer...and me and mort will show up with  a ny team!!!! Chicago is the

8.. All this "mort" talk is making me furious!!! mort this and that!!! blah blah....