A-button to cancel handoff and A to pitch along a path

quince3800

Questions:

1. What hex code gets the A-button to cancel a handoff (and continue to a previously defined assignment)?

2. What is the A-button-to-pitch-along-a-path code?

3. What controls the pitch relationship between the QB and the pitch-receiving back if the back's speed is high enough to bypass the QB within the range of the path? Is this set to a standardized speed?

Edited by quince3800

• 2 weeks later...

I got this from FCEUX @8ea5:

D4D8FCD852D800C0D810B0FF32B8D830E8D83028FD0D40FCFFE0CEE850FFE8BEF314D804CCD8E8D8E4C8DDAE

Is this the QB and RB/WR code? If so, why is there a D4 command (taking the snap at center) as against a D5 command?

What are the 32b8, 3cbe, 38b8 and 4ebe commands doing?

What specifically tells the QB to pitch (or A-to-cancel) here? Is that the (ff) 32 b8 command? If so, was the code at b842 altered?

There was also this @84d7: D5CAD8A4FD0100CBDC2401DE0001FF

Is this the actual option code for the QB?

Edit:

Sorry, the rom I was referring to was the Xplozv rom found here: http://tecmobowl.org/topic/12831-ncaa-tsb-demo-wsome-new-plays/?hl=%2Bnew+%2Bplays+%2Bcollege#entry120810. I don't know what Jstout was referring to though; I don't think it's the same thing.

Edited by quince3800

If you have a rom with the option code then:

x10-x1A (Chance) = Read Handoff, chance of keep x00 = 0% and x10 = 100%
xCB (Location, Player) = Option on path, xFD sets the players to pitch away from
xDE (Location) = MAN/COM Control on path if player is ball carrier
*Location Coordinates are the same as the D7 Command

Example Usage (example came from my NES demo):
QB: D4, D7 FF F8, 12 07, FD 03 E0, CB 21 10 01, DE 00 01, FF 4E BE

The QB will step back, can handoff or fake to the FB by pressing B, and run to just outside of the RT. On his path to the RT, if Man will pitch to the HB by pressing B and if COA/COM will pitch if the LOLB, RCB, LCB, FS, or SS come near. If the QB doesn't have the ball then will block the LOLB.

HB: F3 28, D7 22 0C, DE 1A 20, FF 4E BE

The HB will pause then sweep to the outside and run up the sideline. If the HB doesn't have the ball then he will block the LOLB.

FB: D8 FA F4, D8 FA 00, DE 00 01, FF 5F BE

The FB will dive behind the RG. If the FB doesn't have the ball then he will block the S.

I believe this is that demo. it shows the "xCB(command)" jstout was talking about, but the info. at  x8010 to x9F86 ($A000 to $BFFF) just sets the play's "reaction", but for messing with the command sequence, it goes up to the x28000 - x2c005 area, letting the Qb pitch before it gets to the scrimmage. (IT'S THE FIRST SLOT AT THE PHI-EAGLES PLAYBOOK) (only QB and RB1 were hacked) this demo was great!! (I think it was made by xplozv), but this sequence fumbles alot and of course some offense and def. plays have bugs. So what's been modified at these offsets?,  and can it be set to fit in a normal playbook ????OptionDEMO.zip

I believe this is that demo. it shows the "xCB(command)" jstout was talking about, but the info. at  x8010 to x9F86 ($A000 to $BFFF) just sets the play's "reaction", but for messing with the command sequence, it goes up to the x28000 - x2c005 area, letting the Qb pitch before it gets to the scrimmage. (IT'S THE FIRST SLOT AT THE PHI-EAGLES PLAYBOOK) (only QB and RB1 were hacked) this demo was great!! (I think it was made by xplozv), but this sequence fumbles alot and of course some offense and def. plays have bugs. So what's been modified at these offsets?,  and can it be set to fit in a normal playbook ????attachicon.gifOptionDEMO.zip

xplozv was personally given a copy of my demo with explanations and he used those to create the rom in the link (I have no part in the design of the plays on his rom).  drunken_honkey and hurricane55 also have option code created by me to work on their TSB 3 NCAA rom (all play designs are created by those 2 on their rom).

For a original playbook, you need to edit out the few x10-x1A play commands to x00-x0A.  Then you need to rewrite the plays so that the option works on the plays you want or write up the new plays.

Jstout,

First, much thanks.  I have some more questions.

If you have a rom with the option code then:

x10-x1A (Chance) = Read Handoff, chance of keep x00 = 0% and x10 = 100%
xCB (Location, Player) = Option on path, xFD sets the players to pitch away from
xDE (Location) = MAN/COM Control on path if player is ball carrier
*Location Coordinates are the same as the D7 Command

Example Usage (example came from my NES demo):
QB: D4, D7 FF F8, 12 07, FD 03 E0, CB 21 10 01, DE 00 01, FF 4E BE

The QB will step back, can handoff or fake to the FB by pressing B, and run to just outside of the RT. On his path to the RT, if Man will pitch to the HB by pressing B and if COA/COM will pitch if the LOLB, RCB, LCB, FS, or SS come near. If the QB doesn't have the ball then will block the LOLB.

HB: F3 28, D7 22 0C, DE 1A 20, FF 4E BE

The HB will pause then sweep to the outside and run up the sideline. If the HB doesn't have the ball then he will block the LOLB.

FB: D8 FA F4, D8 FA 00, DE 00 01, FF 5F BE

The FB will dive behind the RG. If the FB doesn't have the ball then he will block the S.

In the string:  QB: D4, D7 FF F8, 12 07, FD 03 E0, CB 21 10 01, DE 00 01, FF 4E BE

• You stated, "xFD sets the players to pitch away from."  What then are the next two bytes for?  Is each bit significant?
  • from "12 07," 12 is a high probability to pitch or to keep?  What is "07?"
  • CB 21 10 01 is the "21 10" is the location and "01" is the player (QB)?
  • how do you establish who you're pitching to?
  • can you fully explain what "DE 00 01" is doing?  if this is just a location, how is the game supposed to know where the QB goes before he pitches?  (there's only one D7 command in the string)

Also, what are the post-DE bytes doing for the HB and FB?

quince -

the next two bytes in the FD are selecting which players to pitch away from in a bitwise fashion

(Player) = bits from QB to RT or RE to SS (0 = not set to 1 = set)

03 E0 in binary = 0000 0011 1110 

It goes RE, NT, LE, ROLB, RILB, LILB, LOLB, RCB, LCB, FS, SS

So pitch away from LOLB, RCB, LCB, FS, SS as those bits are all selected

***************************************************************************************************

12 = Tells who there is a chance of handing off too. 2= Handof  to FB. The second bit in this command determines who to pitch to. 0= QB 1= RB1 2=RB 2 etc

07=  The chance of pitching 0=0% x10=100% so 7 is about a 50% chance. 

********************************************************************************************************

"CB 21 10 01 is the "21 10" is the location and "01" is the player (QB)?" 

01 is the player you have the option of pitching to. 01= RB1 or Halfback. 

********************************************************************************************************

how do you establish who you're pitching to? -SEE DIRECTLY ABOVE

*********************************************************************************************************

can you fully explain what "DE 00 01" is doing?  if this is just a location, how is the game supposed to know where the QB goes before he pitches?  (there's only one D7 command in the string)

DE 00 01 is a move relative command that works the same as the D7 command except it makes sure the player gets man or COM control

if he has the ball. 

The D7 command is telling the QB where to move before pitching. So he will move relatively towards that location. So yes there is only one move command really.

The DE bytes for the RB and FB are there to make sure the COM or you have control of the player if the QB handsoff or pitches to them.

and tells them where to move otherwise. 

****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

JSTOUT can correct me if I typed something wrong here. 

Jstout,

First, much thanks.  I have some more questions.

In the string:  QB: D4, D7 FF F8, 12 07, FD 03 E0, CB 21 10 01, DE 00 01, FF 4E BE

• You stated, "xFD sets the players to pitch away from."  What then are the next two bytes for?  Is each bit significant?

from "12 07," 12 is a high probability to pitch or to keep?  What is "07?"

CB 21 10 01 is the "21 10" is the location and "01" is the player (QB)?

how do you establish who you're pitching to?

can you fully explain what "DE 00 01" is doing?  if this is just a location, how is the game supposed to know where the QB goes before he pitches?  (there's only one D7 command in the string)

Also, what are the post-DE bytes doing for the HB and FB?

1. FD is the command and the 2 bytes following are the data for the command which contain which players to look for in bits (RE to SS).  In the example, 03 E0 in bits = %00000011 %11100000 so RE, NT, LE, ROLB, RILB, LILB are set to 0 so we ignore them and LOLB, RCB, LCB, FS, SS are set to 1 so we are looking for them.

2. 10-1A is the read handoff command where the 2nd nibble is the player to read handoff with (QB to RT) and the next byte is the probability for the COA/COM to keep/handoff.  In the example, 12 = read handoff with FB and 07 is the COA/COM probability.

3. CB is the option on path command where the next 2 bytes are the path, and the 3rd byte is the player to pitch to (QB to RT).  In the example, 21 10 is the path and 01 is the HB.

4. The player to pitch to is in the CB command (explained above).

5. DE is the command of a path to move along where if the player has the ball in their possession while in that path the MAN/COM takes control.  This is a check to allow the MAN/COM to take control allowing movement as the ballcarrier or if not then perform later actions it needs to as the non-ballcarrier.

6. CB and DE location data moves the player exactly how the D7 command does.

7. The post HB and FB bytes is the FF command (jump to pointer).  In the example, those pointers take them to commands to run block (HB blocks LOLB and FB blocks the SS).

Sorry I edited my post after I re-read and realized you were aware of it. 

"I'm aware of this thread... there's no CB command there, FD is used for a different purpose from what I can tell, there's also no BE listed and the thread goes from DD to DF (no DE included)"

Okay,

I get it. Thank you all again. Sorry to keep bothering you. Last question: What is the code for cancelling a (pre-written) handoff?

@Bruddog: Cool. Thank you for the explanation.

@Jstout: big, big thanks

Edit: I also just realized I thought the "bit" question was as in half of a byte (i.e. 2 and 7 or X% probability). 1) How so you manipulate this if it's not overly complicated? 2) Is the computer actually recognizing a particular player interfering with its running lane and reacting accordingly?

Edited by quince3800

Okay,

I get it. Thank you all again. Sorry to keep bothering you. Last question: What is the code for cancelling a (pre-written) handoff?

@Bruddog: Cool. Thank you for the explanation.

@Jstout: big, big thanks

Edit: I also just realized I thought the "bit" question was as in half of a byte (i.e. 2 and 7 or X% probability). 1) How so you manipulate this if it's not overly complicated? 2) Is the computer actually recognizing a particular player interfering with its running lane and reacting accordingly?

A nibble is a single digit of a byte so x01 the 0 is the first nibble and 1 is the second nibble and a byte is made of 8 bits (bits are always 0 or 1).  In the read handoff, its a straight probability and the CPU doesn't read anything (generally players are far away from a handoff and the CPU isn't able to detect things outside of is a player close).  So in my example, 12 07 the read handoff is to the FB and there is a 7 (7/16 = 43.75%) chance the COM QB keeps the ball (MAN player is decided with the button press).

I believe that is what you were asking about.

Edited by jstout

I meant the string:  FD 03 E0. 

Bruddog wrote: 

"03 E0 in binary = 0000 0011 1110 

It goes RE, NT, LE, ROLB, RILB, LILB, LOLB, RCB, LCB, FS, SS

So pitch away from LOLB, RCB, LCB, FS, SS as those bits are all selected"

I don't see the relationship between the 03 E0 and avoiding/selecting the LOLB-SS.  How can you manipulate this or does it need to be manipulated based on what you just noted?  (What do the nibbles mean)?

Does anyone know how to cancel a handoff?

Edited by quince3800

xplozv was personally given a copy of my demo with explanations and he used those to create the rom in the link (I have no part in the design of the plays on his rom).  drunken_honkey and hurricane55 also have option code created by me to work on their TSB 3 NCAA rom (all play designs are created by those 2 on their rom).

For a original playbook, you need to edit out the few x10-x1A play commands to x00-x0A.  Then you need to rewrite the plays so that the option works on the plays you want or write up the new plays.

lol, of course it was you who created it (who else could have..) then that's all the explanations...?: edit out the few x10-x1A play commands to x00-x0A.  Then you need to rewrite the plays so that the option works on the plays you want or write up the new plays. That is way over my head!! REWRITE THE WHOLE PLAYBOOK!!! (defense as well, I asume)

Say,, you wouldnt have that copy of yours, would you?..ha. (just to understand what youre talking about)

I want to clear this up if I can...

For cancelling a handoff from the Xplozv rom @84d7 I got:

D5 | CA D8 A4 | FD 01 00 | CB (DC 24) 01 | DE 00 01 | FF 42 BE | E2

This was on a shotgun pitch into a handoff (that can be cancelled by holding A in good time) and that moves into a play action pass if the handoff is cancelled.

D5:  shotgun snap

CA:  coach*/computer to pointer... a4 c8 (?)

(a4 c8 looks like a defensive command:  C8F450FFADAAD00018ECF30AD8F8D8F414D810F8F428D81018D80C2CFFADAA; before that @a4c5 is d0 d8 e8, which looks like defensive presnap code)

FD, CB and DE commands were described above

... then jump (FF) to BE 52

E2:  What is this doing?  (This is not a RP boost I'm guessing).  I'm assuming this calls for the handoff and not a pitch?

What differentiates this line of code from the (option) pitch given earlier?

Why CA XX XX instead of D7 FF F8 | 12 07?  Am I misreading the CA command here?  Also, why no probability bytes (12 0X)?

Edited by quince3800

I want to clear this up if I can...

For cancelling a handoff from the Xplozv rom @84d7 I got:

D5 CA D8 A4 | FD 01 00 | CB DC 24 01 | DE 00 01 | FF 42 BE E2

This was on a shotgun pitch into a handoff (that can be cancelled by holding A in good time) and that moves into a play action pass if the handoff is cancelled.

D5:  shotgun snap

CA:  man/computer to pointer... a4 c8 (?)

(a4 c8 looks like a defensive command:  C8F450FFADAAD00018ECF30AD8F8D8F414D810F8F428D81018D80C2CFFADAA; before that @a4c5 is d0 d8 e8, which looks like defensive presnap code)

FD, CB and DE commands were described above

... then jump (FF) to BE 52

E2:  What is this doing?  I'm assuming this calls for the handoff and not a pitch?

What differentiates this line of code from the (option) pitch given earlier?

1. You aren't handling the NES banking properly (in the offensive play code $A000-$BFFF = x8010-xA00F).  So, CA D8 A4 doesn't go to xA4C8 it goes to x84E8 (E2 06 | FE F1).

2. xCB (Location, Player) and a location is Y,X coordinates so DC is the Y and 24 is the X and Player is 01.  x100 - xDC = 4 Yards Upward and x24 - x00 = 4 Yards Forward.

3. The E2 isn't doing anything in the play code above.

This code says to Take the Shotgun Snap, COA/COM RP boost, Set to look for RCB (%00000001 %00000000), move 4 yards upward and 4 forward with the option pitch to RB1, take control if ballcarrier else block RILB.

Thank you for the correction about the pointers.  Sorry.

What's making this a handoff and not a pitch then?  The play on the room is a (cancelable) handoff.

I don't know which play this is without looking but its definitely not a handoff by the code you posted.  That code only contains an option pitch command.