Bringing All Scrub Teams to the Playoffs

RoboProkop6

Has anyone here taken the time to play a season, helping the traditionally bad teams to the playoffs? I've tried twice before, but I lost my seasons both times. Here's the six from each conference that I was shooting for:

AFC

Colts

Patriots

Jets

Browns

Seahawks

Chargers

NFC

Cardinals

Lions

Buccaneers

Packers

Falcons

Saints

It's a really time-consuming project, because you also have to jump in to play against the 49ers, Bills, Giants, and Oilers to prevent them from swiping a wildcard spot. But, has anyone accomplished this feat?

• 2 months later...

The Packers make the scrub playoffs--ouch.

Although I would probably, too, if I had to play the Tecmo Vikings, Bears, Lions and Bucs twice a season.

Not sure that I would put the Saints in there, but it's tough to decide who I'd put in their place.

Edited by Green Majik

This is a pretty cool idea.  Some comments about team choice:

Pittsburgh is definitely more of a scrub team than San Diego.  They are actually very similar (high PS QB, mediocre WRs, solid balanced defense).  The main difference is that SD has a really fast RB and Pit has RBs that are as slow as molasses.

And while the Lions are a bit overrated, I'd still pick them above Washington or Dallas.

save time and just edit how the game simulates team strength.  you can do this without actually touching the rosters.  i understand the whole point is jump in there and play the games yourself to see if you can do it.  i took the colts all the way to the afc championship game but lost to the cpu controlled super juiced bills.  such is tecmo.  ask arn it was in the car on his laptop on the way to the midwest tournament a few years ago.

I think I'll undertake this challenge. Gonna use

Indy, Sea, NE, Cle, NYJ and Pit in the AFC

and

NO, GB, ATL, PHX, DAL and TB in the NFC

My goal will be to win every game against the computer and allow the random assignment of skp games when these teams face each other.

If you give Johnny Johnson the right run plays, instead of the 'built to get creamed' ones the Tecmo game creators gave the Cardinals...they'll be in the playoffs EVERY TIME.  $h!tty plays are the reason the Cardinals suck.  Don't believe me, watch a preseason game.  Put the Cardinals vs the Giants on COM mode and see what happens.  Make sure Johnson has ALL the run plays.  (the 3rd running play should be the SWEEP DOWN)

If you give Johnny Johnson the right run plays, instead of the 'built to get creamed' ones the Tecmo game creators gave the Cardinals...they'll be in the playoffs EVERY TIME.  $h!tty plays are the reason the Cardinals suck.  Don't believe me, watch a preseason game.  Put the Cardinals vs the Giants on COM mode and see what happens.  Make sure Johnson has ALL the run plays.  (the 3rd running play should be the SWEEP DOWN)

First game I played in HSTL a few days ago, first carry to Johnny

Johnson............ damn FUMBLE, returned for a defensive touchdown. 

Thanks, Johnny.  Then, in the 3rd quarter: INJURED.  Thanks, Johnny. 

Johnny Hector more than capably carried the load after that, but it was

too little too late.

So what's the secret to unlocking the Super Johnny?  I want to believe, brother, I really do.

The key to unlocking the magical Johnny Johnson, is to live on the west coast and only ever play the computer... then you never have to prove anything. Just talk. All talk. Lots of talk. About your idol. your Hero. Your one true love.

Johnny Johnson.

That's the key. Right there. Simply Put.

:)

First game I played in HSTL a few days ago, first carry to Johnny

Johnson............ damn FUMBLE, returned for a defensive touchdown. 

Thanks, Johnny.  Then, in the 3rd quarter: INJURED.  Thanks, Johnny. 

Johnny Hector more than capably carried the load after that, but it was

too little too late.

So what's the secret to unlocking the Super Johnny?  I want to believe, brother, I really do.

Try these plays:  RUN 1, Pitch to the top.  RUN 2, Single back off tackle to the top.  RUN 3, Halfback Sweep to the bottom  RUN 4, Motion up the gut.................That recipe has worked for years for me...........and NO, not just vs the computer like Spec thinks.         (p.s.   How did Johnson get hurt using him in a Tourney???  Did you guy's play in season mode???........I was under the impression that it's all even, MAN vs MAN preseason mode) (p.s.  p.s.   If you guy's play in SEASON mode and Johnson has the opportunity to be in GOOD or EXCELLENT...someone's gonna get smashed...and it won't be the Cardinals)...................................................................manyo, you gonna be at the SEATTLE TOURNEY right???

Edited by ~Tailback King~

The key to unlocking the magical Johnny Johnson, is to live on the west coast and only ever play the computer... then you never have to prove anything. Just talk. All talk. Lots of talk. About your idol. your Hero. Your one true love.

Johnny Johnson.

That's the key. Right there. Simply Put.

:)

Yeah......I'v probably had over 15 season's where Johnny Johnson has surpassed 3,000 yrds rushing (one 4,000 yrd year), 50 TD's, over 1,000 yrds kick returning, 1000+ recieving, & too many Cardinal Superbowl rings to count................but................the "Legend of Johnny Johnson" never had anything to do with season mode.  He's done things that other players just don't do.....and got me a $h!t load of wins vs real legit competition........a Voodo curse, he just plays like that for me, or whatever.  He's just better than everyone else.....& many people up here in Portland will tell ya.  There will be more believers after April 7th, in Seattle.   

Try these plays:  RUN 1, Pitch to the top.  RUN 2, Single back off tackle to the top.  RUN 3, Halfback Sweep to the bottom  RUN 4, Motion up the gut.................That recipe has worked for years for me...........and NO, not just vs the computer like Spec thinks.         (p.s.   How did Johnson get hurt using him in a Tourney???  Did you guy's play in season mode???........I was under the impression that it's all even, MAN vs MAN preseason mode) (p.s.  p.s.   If you guy's play in SEASON mode and Johnson has the opportunity to be in GOOD or EXCELLENT...someone's gonna get smashed...and it won't be the Cardinals)...................................................................manyo, you gonna be at the SEATTLE TOURNEY right???

Yeah man I'll be at Seattle tourney, you better give me the Johnny Johnson tutorial so I can lay the wood down, and yeah in our league (not a tourney) we play in Season mode, so he can get hurt, and actually in 2 games so far in both he's been BAD condition at least half the game.............. boo hoo, Johnny, boo hoo.

I'll have to try those plays and see if it unlocks the magic.

Guys, one year, I used Sammie Smith and got 5,000 yards rushing and 2,000 yards rec and 3,000 yards in punt returns and 100 tds.  Sammie Smith will own you.  If you don't believe me, just setup the playbook to have Run1: run up, Run2: Run middle, Run3: Pitch down, Run4 Itdoesntfuckingmatterbecausesammiesmithwillown you.  I have a sammie smith autographed football that he fumbled one time.  it's above my bed next to my sammie smith 1989 score rookie card like in near near mint condition.  it will be worth big money one day.  I would take sammie smith in a fantasty draft over bo jackson or qb eagles or jerry "cant catch" rice.  Come to a tourney and I will own anyone using only sammie smith.  anyone that doens't know how good sammie smith is should get a clue.  He's the best running back of all time!!!!!!

Alright, Tailback, so I put those plays in, and then, just to control my variables, I ran it with Johnny every single play in a league game tonight.  And you know what, I got to say, as the game wore on I started to feel a little bit of magic buzzing in my fingertips, a little je ne sais pas, if you will, hard to describe.  You might be on to something here brother, I dunno, I'm gonna have to replicate these results a few times, but here's my boxscore:

Untitled_zps436cfad0.jpg

Edited by manYo

Guys, one year, I used Sammie Smith and got 5,000 yards rushing and 2,000 yards rec and 3,000 yards in punt returns and 100 tds.  Sammie Smith will own you.  If you don't believe me, just setup the playbook to have Run1: run up, Run2: Run middle, Run3: Pitch down, Run4 Itdoesntfuckingmatterbecausesammiesmithwillown you.  I have a sammie smith autographed football that he fumbled one time.  it's above my bed next to my sammie smith 1989 score rookie card like in near near mint condition.  it will be worth big money one day.  I would take sammie smith in a fantasty draft over bo jackson or qb eagles or jerry "cant catch" rice.  Come to a tourney and I will own anyone using only sammie smith.  anyone that doens't know how good sammie smith is should get a clue.  He's the best running back of all time!!!!!!

UHHHHHHHH..............there's one difference between what I said, and what you bulls#!tted.....what I said really happened.  Sammie Smith couldn't do that even if he was in EXCELLENT all year.  All though I do believe what you said about the autographed fumbled football...He fumbles in the game just like he did in real life...If he didn't, he'd actually be a halfway decent runningback in the game, and real life...................................too bad for you, he isn't. 

Alright, Tailback, so I put those plays in, and then, just to control my variables, I ran it with Johnny every single play in a league game tonight.  And you know what, I got to say, as the game wore on I started to feel a little bit of magic buzzing in my fingertips, a little je ne sais pas, if you will, hard to describe.  You might be on to something here brother, I dunno, I'm gonna have to replicate these results a few times, but here's my boxscore:

Untitled_zps436cfad0.jpg

You bet yo a$$ he has a lil' sumthin' extra...He's a Tecmo LEGEND!!!  (and I don't just throw that word around)...That motion blast up the middle (the last run play) will be your bread and butter.  One good cut or block (especially if you get your opponent to dive) and he's gone...........from anywhere on the field.        (p.s.   How the hell did you get Johnson on the Raiders???)

Would you take the Cardinals in a matchup vs the Giants at the tournament?

I'm going to try this season out with the following teams:

AFC: Colts, Pats, Jets, Browns, Steelers, Seahawks

NFC: Cowboys, Cardinals, Packers, Buccaneers, Falcons, Saints

The way the schedule works out, all teams will have at least three losses automatically with a couple having at least four (Colts and Jets I believe).  This is a great idea for a season!